Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: azs better gas mileage - 08/18/06 12:22 AM
hello, i'm not sure where to post this, sorry if its the wrong spot,
I have a 2.5 duratec, and have been wanting better gas mileage on the highway, i was wondering if it's possible to make a switch to turn off a few of the fuel injectors, so i potentially would have a four cylinder engine, much like chevy suburbans have the "on demand engines" that turn off some of the injectors during highway driving. Would this idea work, or would the pcm get screwed up, or possibly ruin my engine?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: better gas mileage - 08/18/06 12:33 AM
Originally posted by azs:
...I have a 2.5 duratec, and have been wanting better gas mileage on the highway, i was wondering if it's possible to make a switch to turn off a few of the fuel injectors,...

I doubt it is possible to make a switch for that, the PCM would need to be reprogrammed or it will think that the engine is running lean and then compensate until it reaches a limit, and then turn on the P0171 and P0174 code. And then go into the limp mode and you will be looking at worse gas mileage again.

Save gas, drive slower or sell the Duratec and buy a Zetec.
Posted By: projectSHO89_dup1 Re: better gas mileage - 08/18/06 11:43 AM
This is NOT possible. Sorry.

The advanced systems used by both GM and Ford also have the mechanical capability to control the operation of the valves on the shut-down cylinders. Cna't exactly retrofit this capability.

Steve
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: better gas mileage - 08/18/06 04:34 PM
No need to double post, one thread should be enough to get your answer
© CEG Archives