Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 96_98_SE Spun Bearing? Broken Connecting Rod? - 08/04/06 01:56 AM
Vehicle: 98.5 Duratec

Symptoms: Installed spark plug thread 'sleeve' yesterday, as the spark plug in the #5 cylinder had jumped out of place, leaving no threads. This happened to another cylinder almost 2 years ago, so I wasn't too surprised to see it happen again (a former owner had the spark plugs changed at one of those quick lube shops when the engine was still hot ).

Anyhow, the engine fired right up this evening, but was making a terrible metal-on-metal tapping sound (about 3-4 taps every second). I immediately shut off the engine and pulled out the spark plug I had installed last night to see if somehow the cylinder was striking it. The spark plug was unfazed. Looking down the spark plug hole, I noticed that the #5 cylinder appeared to be in EXACTLY the same place (all the way up) as it was last night. Coincidence? Or a sign that something down below is broken?

Do you know what a spun bearing or broken connecting rod sounds like? If so, let me know and I'll post a short video clip.

I believe the build quality of Contiques took a dive starting in 1998. My 96SE continues to be a faithful soldier, but my wife's 98SE is very moody, to say the least.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Spun Bearing? Broken Connecting Rod? - 08/04/06 02:22 AM
I can tell you what a BENT rod sounds like..

Posted By: stilov Re: Spun Bearing? Broken Connecting Rod? - 08/04/06 10:34 PM
I can tell you what a spun bearing sounds like...

Ray did you bend a rod??!?!!?
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Spun Bearing? Broken Connecting Rod? - 08/05/06 12:18 AM
DID... yes. before... before... uhm... yeah.

Not anymore.. everything's up and cozy, now. We can chat via PM "if'n yon't to".
Posted By: 96_98_SE VIDEO CLIP of NOISE - 08/05/06 03:42 AM
Did some more troubleshooting today. First I'll post a video clip for everyone's analysis:

98SE Engine Noise (3MB)

The clip is only a few seconds long, but you get the idea...

Research done today:
- Tried different spark plug wires, just in case a cylinder wasn't firing (no change)
- Drained oil and checked for metal fragments with magnet (none found)
- Dropped oil pan (no metal fragments in pan and nothing strange-looking on the bottom end of the engine)

Other info:
- The CEL is NOT on
- In the few seconds I've let the engine run, it seems relatively smooth (but with that nasty metal clanking noise)

Any possibility of this being transmission related? IIRC, I've always had the clutch pedal fully depressed the 4 times I've started it. I don't know if this info is useful, but who knows...

Suggestions welcome!
Posted By: stilov Re: VIDEO CLIP of NOISE - 08/05/06 03:47 AM
That's pretty much what my spun bearing sounded like.

I would drian the oil and see if you see metal or if it sparkles.
Posted By: stilov Re: VIDEO CLIP of NOISE - 08/05/06 03:48 AM
just noticed you said you checked the oil. I hate to jump to the worst conclusion.
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: VIDEO CLIP of NOISE - 08/05/06 07:18 AM
wouldn't that be rod knock, likely cuased by oil starvation?

just my educated guess.
Posted By: 96_98_SE Re: VIDEO CLIP of NOISE - 08/05/06 01:03 PM
In the 25K miles that we've had this 98SE, we've run the engine with 6 quarts of 5W-30 Valvoline and Motorcraft filters. Taking long, sweeping corners at high RPM's were always a no-no, but who knows what the previous 2 owners may have done.

Unless I receive some quick-fix advice, I'll be parting the vehicle out (MSDS, intake, MP3 player, etc.) and selling what's left to a salvage yard. I guess it's time to buy a GMC Yukon XL for the wife!
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: VIDEO CLIP of NOISE - 08/05/06 02:26 PM
Man, that sounds EERILY familiar.

You can EITHER, drop the bottom (pan, etc) and start looking for scoring on the bearings, or start parting it out.

Posted By: weargle Re: VIDEO CLIP of NOISE - 08/09/06 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Ray:
Man, that sounds EERILY familiar.

You can EITHER, drop the bottom (pan, etc) and start looking for scoring on the bearings, or start parting it out.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the #6 spun bearing and/or wristpin. Your head is good now, don't crank it again. 3L ftw. That video is a textbook example of how that sounds.

http://img283.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spunbearings4si.jpg
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: VIDEO CLIP of NOISE - 08/09/06 01:18 PM
That vid should be put in a sticky for others. That's a spun bearing.
Posted By: 96_98_SE Re: VIDEO CLIP of NOISE - 08/10/06 03:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback and confirmation of what the problem is.

Is this something that can be repaired easily, as it hasn't grenaded itself yet? By 'easily,' can I swap out the bearings after taking off the oil pan (again)?

If possible, I'd like to get the vehicle repaired so I can sell it; however, I want the repair to be "done right" so I'm not making my problem someone else's.

I've already purchased a replacement vehicle for my wife (2003 Yukon XL 2WD), so I'm not in a rush.
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: VIDEO CLIP of NOISE - 08/10/06 05:20 PM
You may have seen this part of the Duratec maintenance forum Duratec It will help you with your project.
© CEG Archives