Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: mattp182 99 SVT Sunroof - 07/31/06 01:44 AM
I just bought a 99 SVT Yesterday, among some other problems, the sunroof does not work correctly. It seems to lift, the motor I think is excessively noisy, it wont go back and when you put it back down, you really have to help it. The motor does seem to be working though. Any advice on what to check or replace?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 07/31/06 01:56 AM
Welcome . Put some grease in the gear. Or if the gear breaks, www.odometergears.com. andwww.sunroofgears.com.

Also read this thread.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1286854&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1
Posted By: mattp182 Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 07/31/06 09:21 PM
Ok well i tried playing with the sunroof today, When the sunroof moves up or down there is a grinding noise the whole time it is moving and it has trouble closing. Is this an indication of a stripped out gear? It does not want to move back out of the way at all, i suspect it is not coming up all the way.
Posted By: mattp182 Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 08/11/06 09:21 PM
So i installed a new gear, the sunroof will only go up about an inch and back down, How do i get it to retract into the roof?
Posted By: mattp182 Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 08/11/06 09:54 PM
It will raise in the rear but when you try to open the sunroof you just hear the relay click it wont budge at all.....
Posted By: Tisby Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 08/12/06 03:17 AM
It sounds like the tracks are broke...
Posted By: mattp182 Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 08/12/06 03:36 AM
That could be, it wont even move down to retract, so how would i say fix or replace the tracks?
Posted By: Tisby Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 08/12/06 04:20 AM
Not sure... My tracks were broken by a dealership so they got fixed by the dealership. Also, I dunno how much it would cost either. Sorry, I'm not much help.
Posted By: m4gician Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 08/12/06 06:14 AM
Originally posted by mattp182:
I just bought a 99 SVT Yesterday, among some other problems, the sunroof does not work correctly. It seems to lift, the motor I think is excessively noisy, it wont go back and when you put it back down, you really have to help it. The motor does seem to be working though. Any advice on what to check or replace?

If it's NOISY, the gear has Warped already, you need to obtain a replacement. I have a spare for sale if you wanna PM me, otherwise there are other sources, you'll have to take apart the assembly to double check...(www.sunroofgears.com) HAS DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS on how to remove the sunroof motor assembly and replace the gear.
Posted By: mattp182 Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 08/12/06 08:38 AM
I just put a new gear in, the motor works fine now. But even when i try to hand crank the sunroof it wont retract. It will vent in the rear but it wont even budge to retract the glass, I dont know how to go about fixing that.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 08/12/06 06:44 PM
Did you synchronize it according to the Ford instructions on the thread previously posted?
Posted By: mattp182 Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 08/13/06 08:41 AM
yes i did, the motor is fine, even when using the old gear i cannot retract the sunroof manually, i dont know what the problem is, its just not retracting at all, has anyone had this problem before????
Posted By: Tisby Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 08/13/06 06:40 PM
My money is on the tracks like before, however, I don't know how that is fixed...
Posted By: mattp182 Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 08/16/06 02:23 AM
Anyone know anything about fixing and or replacing the sunroof tracks?
Posted By: mattp182 Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 08/28/06 04:58 AM
Again, does anyone know how to remove the sunroof assembly and fix something binding it?

Posted By: m4gician Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 08/28/06 09:36 PM
check ALL the screws holding the frame of the roof and the plastic brackets and make sure they're all secure. Secondly, once that's all done, spray some WD-40 or grease along the pathway to make sure everything is running smoothly. Thirdly, take the motor you have in your hand (unmount it), mount on the gear ( DO NOT SCREW IT) and manually crank the roof open and close using the motor assembly as a crank, WHEN THAT HAPPENS, if the roof moves open and closed, all you have to worry about is the motor assembly. Lithium grease is osmething you should put a lot of in there .
Posted By: cannondalemtb Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 09/01/06 05:44 AM
I have the EXACT same problem. So please let us know if this solves your problem.
Posted By: cannondalemtb Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 09/03/06 02:50 AM
Any luck!?
Posted By: mattp182 Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 09/03/06 06:21 AM
umm im not exactly sure where all to look for these screws, but i have tried to manually crank and it will not budge, it will vent but will not budge at all when trying to open the sunroof. It seems to me way more than a lube problem. Im considering just getting a new assembly from a junkyard and throwing it up there. But no i have no solution, there was to be someone else out there that has solved this issue?!!!?
Posted By: cannondalemtb Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 09/03/06 07:47 PM
My problem sounds exactly the same. It will vent both mechanically and manually. But when you try to retract it, it seems to try and slide back into the roof instead of dropping down and then sliding back.
Posted By: mattp182 Re: 99 SVT Sunroof - 09/03/06 08:23 PM
Ya mine doesnt want to drop or even retract at all, is it possible to do any kind of service to it without dropping my headliner?
© CEG Archives