Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ToasterOven electrical problems - 07/05/06 03:19 AM
Okay, so i changed my alternator. Thanks Ray for the how-to help. While I was in there i also changed my Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 sensor to cure a slow sensor response code. The CEL came back on within 20 miles of driving. And now my lights, all them, interior included, flash.the flashing is releveant to engine speed. at idle, no flashing. but as the rpms go up, more flashing. the flashing can be described as a quick dim, less the a half second in length, but contineuousand rapid in pace. turning things on and off does not help, and no way to tell if it flashes when the lights are off. and help on this would be great
Posted By: ToasterOven Re: electrical problems - 07/06/06 04:03 AM
any one even have a remote idea what is causing this? alot of my driving is at night and it gets really annoying. plus i doubt its good for the car and all.
Posted By: vincom Re: electrical problems - 07/06/06 06:35 AM
that is the strangest thing i have ever heard......are you sure you wired the alt. correctly, or damaged any wires. what code does the cel give
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: electrical problems - 07/06/06 02:17 PM
Charge the battery well and test the battery and alternator.

Battery test. Engine off, headlights on for one minute. Voltage across battery terminals should be 12 to 12.5.

Alternator test. Engine running, voltage across battery terminals shold be 14 to 14.5.
Posted By: ToasterOven Re: electrical problems - 07/06/06 09:49 PM
Originally posted by vincom:
that is the strangest thing i have ever heard......are you sure you wired the alt. correctly, or damaged any wires. what code does the cel give

not sure, where can i get it scanned? used to do that at school, but im graduated now.i think it will be for the secondaries though. ever sense i changed the spark plugs, secondaries will only open in first gear. something to do with that little box under the engine cover if i recall.

ill try to do the test tonight and see if they reveal anything. all the wires were put on properly, and they were all still bendable when i disconnected them. no cracking or anything. but we'll see.
Posted By: ToasterOven Re: electrical problems - 07/08/06 02:23 PM
the battery checks out fine. engine running(on an analog tester) it was almost touching the 15 mark, no matter how many things i turned on. lights on for one minute, and it read almost 12. but it also read almost 12 immediatly after power down and no lights on. again, it always read almost 12 no matter what i turned on.

thursday night though, i noticed something strange. i was sitting in my car listening to music for anout 10 to 20 minutes with the car off.(after market head unit,sub, amp)
for a few miles after i turned the car on, it seemed to not flash the lights at all. even then on friday and today, it seems to not be flashing the lights as bad. except now i cant tell how fast im going cause the lights lighting up the speedo dont work, and the dimmer switch is stuck except to turn on the dome light.

im very confused as to what this is...
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: electrical problems - 07/08/06 07:43 PM
Originally posted by ToasterOven:
Originally posted by vincom:

not sure, where can i get it scanned? ...

Autozone or Advance will scan it for free. Post the exact codes then.
Posted By: ToasterOven Re: electrical problems - 07/10/06 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Tony2005:

Autozone or Advance will scan it for free. Post the exact codes then.

funny you should say that, the CEL went off last night and hasn't come back on yet. also, my lights dont seem to be flashing today. guess ill find out when i go home tonight. thanks for the help though!

i called and asked my uncle, who used to be ford tech, and he said it could possibly the headlight or dimmer switch, which he said were somewhat common to burn out on the contours. he also said they were a dealer recall, meaning you complain about and they fix it as a recall, for whatever reason. again, thanks for the help ive been getting thus far, dont know where id be without it.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: electrical problems - 07/10/06 01:59 PM
...i called and asked my uncle, who used to be ford tech, and he said it could possibly the headlight or dimmer switch, which he said were somewhat common to burn out on the contours. he also said they were a dealer recall, meaning you complain about and they fix it as a recall, for whatever reason. again, thanks for the help ive been getting thus far, dont know where id be without it.

The Headlamp switch recall might have the flickering lights but not the CEL being turned on (and off).
Posted By: ToasterOven Re: electrical problems - 07/11/06 03:24 AM

The Headlamp switch recall might have the flickering lights but not the CEL being turned on (and off).

yes. earlier though i said it might be the secondaries not opening up after i changed the sparkplugs, i changed the 02 sensor after the plugs and never cleared the codes. and now that the CEL is gone, my secondaries work in all four gears again. so i think thats all it was. are the old codes still stored on the car so i can see what the problem was?

so later this week ill take a drive on into the ford stealership and see if they cant change my switch, or atleast diagnose what really is the problem. thanks for all the help though, ill try to report back my findings when i get them.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: electrical problems - 07/11/06 03:27 AM
I think the 99 model is not covered under the recall. You may want to register at www.fordvehicles.com (need your VIN) and see if your car is covered before taking a drive out there.
Posted By: ToasterOven Re: electrical problems - 07/11/06 04:33 AM
I think the 99 model is not covered under the recall. You may want to register at www.fordvehicles.com (need your VIN) and see if your car is covered before taking a drive out there.

well, its not that far away, but i will definetly check! and register... thanks again for the help. its greatly appreciated
Posted By: ToasterOven Re: electrical problems - 08/10/06 06:58 PM
update. still dont know why my lights are flashing or whatever, but i do know why the speedo lights turned off. the dimmer switch curcuit board exploded. new onw on order soon.

second, the CEG left me with codes P0401 EGR insufficient flow. i know how to fix that

and then also P1151 lack of -H02S1 switches lean bank 2 sensor one.

so now what shall i do?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: electrical problems - 08/10/06 08:37 PM
update. still dont know why my lights are flashing or whatever, but i do know why the speedo lights turned off. the dimmer switch curcuit board exploded. new onw on order soon.

second, the CEG left me with codes P0401 EGR insufficient flow. i know how to fix that

and then also P1151 lack of -H02S1 switches lean bank 2 sensor one.

so now what shall i do?

Did you change the Bank 2 (radiator side) Upper Sensor the last time?
If you did, then per TSB, your EGR could be the issue.

P1151 - Lack of HO2S-21 Switch, Fuel Trim at Limit The HEGO Sensor is monitored for switching. The code will set when the HO2S fails to switch due to circuit or fuel at or exceeding a calibrated limit.

Electrical:
�· Short to VPWR or VREF in harness or HO2S
�· HO2S circuit shorted to Ground
�· Water in harness connector
�· Open circuit
�· Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
�· Damaged HO2S
�· Damaged PCM (other DTCs should be present)

Fuel System:
�· Excessive fuel pressure (stuck fuel pressure regulator, restricted fuel return lines, etc.)
�· Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors or fuel pressure regulator
�· Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel (fuel pump concern, fuel supply line restrictions, low fuel level, etc.)
�· Vapor recovery system (stuck VMV, etc.)

Induction System:
�· MAF contamination
�· Air leaks between MAF and throttle plate
�· PCV system / Other vacuum leaks
�· Improperly seated engine oil dipstick

EGR System:
�· Leaking gasket
�· Stuck EGR valve / Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:
�· Oil overfill
�· Incorrect cylinder compression
�· Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S
�· Secondary air stuck on
Posted By: ToasterOven Re: electrical problems - 08/12/06 02:02 PM

Did you change the Bank 2 (radiator side) Upper Sensor the last time?
If you did, then per TSB, your EGR could be the issue.

no, i changed the bank one sensor one last time(firewall side)

Base Engine:

�· Secondary air stuck on

how about stuck off? when i changed my plugs last, i think i may have knocked that smart box thingy under the plastic cover. cause after i changed my plugs, it had no top end whatsoever. then after about a week, it felt like they would come on in first and then shut off right before it shifted into second. Its an ATX.

now, it seems to run fine during colder times like nights and mornings, but not always when its warm out midday.

thanks again for all the help, its been priceless to me so far.
Posted By: ToasterOven Re: electrical problems - 08/15/06 09:42 PM
any body got some more help for me? i really still dont know what to check for that last code.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: electrical problems - 08/15/06 10:34 PM
P1151, maybe change the Bank 2 upper O2 sensor. Not running right when hot could be the start of IMRC failure.
This thread for P1151

This thread for IMRC failure or start thereof
Posted By: ToasterOven Re: electrical problems - 08/16/06 03:16 PM
alright, cool. im gonna try fixing my IMRC with a new transistor and changing the 02 sensor. if that dont fix it, ill be back. thanks for all the help thus far.

now i still need to find out why my lights are flashing with the power fluxuations. i looked at me battery cables, and the positive side is all corroded and torn, exposing a not very good looking wire. i cleaned it, and within a couple days, it was back to its corroded self. would maybe changing this wire help?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: electrical problems - 08/16/06 03:25 PM
...now i still need to find out why my lights are flashing with the power fluxuations. i looked at me battery cables, and the positive side is all corroded and torn, exposing a not very good looking wire. i cleaned it, and within a couple days, it was back to its corroded self. would maybe changing this wire help?

Yes. You could try covering it with liquid rubber (?) and tape it up to see if that helps. Also check for a loose ground (especially wires which go under the battery and Power Distribution Box).
Posted By: ToasterOven Re: electrical problems - 08/16/06 03:30 PM
alright, cool. will do. looks like i got alot to do this weekend

thanks again for all the help.
© CEG Archives