Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: fredfillis Right Front Flasher working ALL the time! - 06/30/06 09:08 PM
Have a 97, whenever the key is in the on position or the car is running the RF flasher is working very fast even with the switch in the neutral position. Have swapped out the bulbs, no good. With bulb removed, still getting indications on the dash, but much slower and brighter.

Is this likely to be a turn signal switch?

If so, where can I get one for a reasonable price?

Cheers!
Do you have remote entry? Or a maybe remote entry installed without knowing it. My brothers subi would do that until you locked and unlocked the doors after disconnecting the battery. I'm not sure if the 95-97 models do this for a contour.

Other thoughts are check the fuse. Could be half melted or just goofy.

I know low volts from batteries make cars act awkard. Check the voltage on the battery.

There is a blinker capacitor(maybe not the word for it) that cause the blinkers to "blink". Yours might be bad. I'm sure someone else can chime in and help you further then that.

I wouldn't go replacing the blinker switch until you're sure its not another issue first.
Multi Function Switch. Get from Bill Jenkins. www.teamfordparts.com

Here is a thread on the MFS.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=702229&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

From Ford CD
1. Disconnect battery ground cable
2. Remove two screws and upper steering column shroud
3. Depress the multi-function switch locking tab.
4. Slide multi-function switch up and off of steering column.
5. Depress locking tabs on multi-function switch electrical connectors and remove from the multi-function switch.

Autozone has some schematics.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/d6/05/0900823d801bd605.jsp
Originally posted by ZeroHour:

There is a blinker capacitor(maybe not the word for it) that cause the blinkers to "blink". Yours might be bad. I'm sure someone else can chime in and help you further then that.

i believe the term your looking for is bi-metal relay
Originally posted by striker2:
Originally posted by ZeroHour:

i believe the term your looking for is bi-metal relay

How about Flasher?
© CEG Archives