Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: DCHoeft Trunk leak - 06/19/06 05:59 AM
my trunk leaks on the passenger side, anyone know how to fix this?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Trunk leak - 06/19/06 06:05 AM
Need to figure out exactly where the leak is from first. Get into the trunk with a flashlight and have someone spray water on top the car to determine exactly where it is leaking.

Read this thread.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1178796&Forum=trouble&Words=trunk%20leak&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=1178775&Search=true#Post1178796

and this.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=885358&Forum=trouble&Words=trunk%20leak&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=883941&Search=true#Post885358
Posted By: DCHoeft Re: Trunk leak - 06/19/06 10:43 PM
sweet, thanks
Posted By: DanburySE Re: Trunk leak - 06/20/06 02:53 AM
this happens in my car when there is steady rain for a few days. i've come to the conclusion it is coming up from the wheel wells. if you look from the right angle through the slit in the left side floor of the trunk (guess this was intended for ventilation) you can see the road. i guess when driving the car the water can spray up there and enter the trunk. i get a wet spot in that very area everytime i do alot of driving in the rain. haven't bothered finding a fix since im upgrading soon to a mazda 6. guess this is poor ford design. no shock here
Posted By: OB1 Re: Trunk leak - 06/23/06 04:32 AM
The trunk vents are probably your problem.I just pulled mine & resealed the rubber around them both even though only the pass side was leaking. A picture is worth a thousand words........

Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Trunk leak - 06/23/06 12:54 PM
Yup, it's most likely the vents. My passenger side vent was only half connected and missing half of the seal.

I grabbed the seal from my parts car and clipped the vent back on tight. So far no leaks. I will be taking off the bumper though to apply my own sealant to keep out water 100%.

My 2000 leaks even though the seal and vent is locked tight. I just have to pour a glass of water down the outter edge of the trunk, and it drips down onto the vent and leaks a little from the top. I guess that bumper is coming off too.
Posted By: Frosty Re: Trunk leak - 06/23/06 04:27 PM
I have the same problem. I thought it was from my antenna drain tube, but i couldn't prove it and i always have a small puddle when it rains. I will look at those vents. Thanks!
Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: Trunk leak - 06/23/06 04:32 PM
i had the same thing happen. i got 2 new vents, put them in and taped the s**t out of them with black duck tape.(inside of trunk between carpet and metal) three years later and not 1 leak, not even a drip.
Posted By: ITCRacer Re: Trunk leak - 07/18/06 02:08 AM
I also have a leaky trunk but the seals around my tail lights and the vent appear good. My question is about the clear plastic tube on the passenger side of the trunk. I searched but did not come up with any clue as to what this is supposed to be for. Any ideas??

One of my previous Hondas had tubes like these for the sunroof drain and had a similar issue when the tube was disconnected.

Thanks
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Trunk leak - 07/18/06 01:43 PM
Originally posted by ITCRacer:
I also have a leaky trunk but the seals around my tail lights and the vent appear good. My question is about the clear plastic tube on the passenger side of the trunk. I searched but did not come up with any clue as to what this is supposed to be for. Any ideas??

One of my previous Hondas had tubes like these for the sunroof drain and had a similar issue when the tube was disconnected.

Thanks

Welcome . What year, model and how many miles?
Posted By: ITCRacer Re: Trunk leak - 07/18/06 11:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking for about a year (time I have owned the car) but finally need to post..

I have a 2000 black Contour SVT with like 115k miles on the clock.

Love the car and the balance of power, handling, and size.

Any ideas on what the clear plastic hose is on the passenger side of the trunk behind the carpet??
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Trunk leak - 07/18/06 11:31 PM
Originally posted by ITCRacer:
..Any ideas on what the clear plastic hose is on the passenger side of the trunk behind the carpet??

You may have to post a picture.
Posted By: Frosty Re: Trunk leak - 07/19/06 11:38 AM
That is a drain hose, i'm not sure if it's for the antenna or the sunroof, i haven't looked that close. I have a leak on that side though and thought that was the culprit, but it was not.
© CEG Archives