Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Stylin55_oh interior gets hot!!! I-chi-wow-E HOT! - 06/01/06 05:27 PM
lol anyways
i noticed this last summer but since my drives were typically very short i did nothing about it. It gets hot from the floor/firewall. Almost like the heat is on towards the floor. now some descriptions

~ AC does not work since one of the lines is disconnected at the moment, possible leak
~ i noticed that i didnt hear my fan coming on..possibly not turning on at all?!?
~ i dont have the bottom plastic piece under the bumper that directs air into the radiator..took it off and didnt put it back after i was done and now i don tknow where it is
~have an optimised y-pipe that had a smaller section of heat shielding removed
~ new trans was installed, just a note

anyways.. going to windsor tomorrow.. i just have tonight to try to cure this or at least make it better..

any thoughts
~heat vent stuck open?
~lift back of the hood with washers to allow more heat to escape
~insulate the y-pipe
~add water weter
I belive there was a service bulletin a long time ago for the rubber tear drop shaped boot that goes around the sterring wheel shaft through the firewall that was prone to "leaking". Had this issue with both of my old CSVT's. THey would crack and aloow heat to leak through, epsecially where it's located, you get the lajority of the heat from the rear cat. Felt like a hairdryer was on contantly blowing at my ankles. I believe you can do it yourself, have to disconet the the "CV Joint" by the interior side of the firewall to slide the new boot over.

Edit:

It's #2.. about 13.00. If that's not the case, check for rust. in the floor.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: interior gets hot!!! I-chi-wow-E HOT! - 06/01/06 06:05 PM
Awesome!

I thought I was the only one with this problem and that I was going crazy. I felt the heat yet I couldn't find where it was coming from. Driving me crazy.

I think the rubber on mine is ripped because I remember something being messed up with it when I did my engine swap.
oh wow.. if that is it i can end my search.. i'm going to investigate this next week.. and if that fixes it.. you are my hero!!
Posted By: RawBurt Re: interior gets hot!!! I-chi-wow-E HOT! - 06/02/06 05:43 PM
Yeah I have the same problem, freaking hottttt
well im glad its not just me, i love the blowdryer on the feet analogy. I'm going to order that $10.46 piece of rubber monday.
Posted By: SVT1878 Re: interior gets hot!!! I-chi-wow-E HOT! - 06/02/06 07:58 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the scoop!

I have the same problem, I'll try your solution.

Thanks,

Remi
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: interior gets hot!!! I-chi-wow-E HOT! - 06/03/06 02:13 AM
I checked mine today, and it is ripped wide open. Tons of heat pouring inside the car. I went to pull it off the 98 parts car I just got but that one is ripped too. Oh well, I'll order a new one this week.
Finally a solution. Ive had the same problem for ages. I thought it was because of cooling issues at first with my EWP. but now that I have a new motor and no more EWP i still feel it. Im going to check my boot in the morning.
Glad I could help ya guys.
Does anyone know the official name for the rubber part? Mine is doing the same thing and I probably need that same piece too
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: interior gets hot!!! I-chi-wow-E HOT! - 06/13/06 06:47 PM
Originally posted by wcollegenj:
Does anyone know the official name for the rubber part? Mine is doing the same thing and I probably need that same piece too

Steering column - Lower boot
F5RZ-3D677-A
Posted By: m4gician Re: interior gets hot!!! I-chi-wow-E HOT! - 08/08/06 02:54 AM
Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but how would I go about doing it myself besides trying to look at that black and whitre stick figure diagram? Would I start under the hood or on the interior? How much do I have to remove, how long does it take? Can I remove and replace that rubber part (part #2) without removing anything major (i.e. steering wheel)? Thnaks for hte help guys
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: interior gets hot!!! I-chi-wow-E HOT! - 08/08/06 03:22 AM
Originally posted by m4gician:
Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but how would I go about doing it myself besides trying to look at that black and whitre stick figure diagram? Would I start under the hood or on the interior? How much do I have to remove, how long does it take? Can I remove and replace that rubber part (part #2) without removing anything major (i.e. steering wheel)? Thnaks for hte help guys

It's all done from the interior. Don't jack up the car or even pop the hood. Won't do anything for you.

There is one bolt at the very bottom of the steering column. Remove that bolt, wiggle the steering column off, pull the old boot out, and push the new one in place. Locks in three places. Top of the boot goes in first. It kinda hooks onto the car. Two other clips just lock by pushing hard. You'll see when you look at the old one or the new one.

Do not let the rubber boot make too much contact with the steering because it can easily rip it again.

Line up the steering and put the bolt back in. Don't worry at all about aligning the steering wheel. It only attaches 1 way and will end up in the exact spot you removed it from.

Total time: about 10-15 mins.
Posted By: m4gician Re: interior gets hot!!! I-chi-wow-E HOT! - 08/08/06 08:27 PM
you are a hero man, let me just find you a trophy... well to me that's both good news and bad news, The good news is now I'm going ot have that stupid heat problem fixed by tomorrow, but the bad news is that I'll have to get a front wheel alignment done to fix that stupid lean on the steering wheel.
Originally posted by m4gician:
but the bad news is that I'll have to get a front wheel alignment done to fix that stupid lean on the steering wheel.

Huh?
Posted By: m4gician Re: interior gets hot!!! I-chi-wow-E HOT! - 08/09/06 02:41 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

There is one bolt at the very bottom of the steering column. Remove that bolt, wiggle the steering column off, pull the old boot out, and push the new one in place.

Okay I get that, now is there a place on that diagram 'that one bolt' would be located? What kind of bolt is is it by chance? A 7mm? Anyways, going to get under there and replace it, thanks for the help.

Posted By: Tisby Re: interior gets hot!!! I-chi-wow-E HOT! - 08/09/06 05:53 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Originally posted by wcollegenj:

Steering column - Lower boot
F5RZ-3D677-A

This part number is for all years and both the Tours & Stiques, right?
yep
© CEG Archives