Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Goonz SVT P0401/Missfiring - 05/08/06 11:26 PM
Well I got my MIL's on today and rested everything. CEL came on with only one code, P0401, somthing related to the EGR. Now a short history on whats been going on with my car, the car is missfiring badly and getting worse and worse everyday. I have no low end power with out the bucking and all that. I have magnecores with autolites. I have switched the magnecores to FMS wires and still had missfiring. Changed the plugs to newer autolites in hopes of having 2-3 weeks of no missfiring but still the car was bad with missfire. New coil pack, still missfiring. I really dont know anymore. I dont know if its the plugs not liking the magnecores since magnecores are picky with what combo plugs are used or what. Tony has had the same problem but he switched to Denso Iridium plugs and now he sais everthing is smooth as silk. I however canot spend $78 on Denso's to find out the missfire is still there, I have really ran outa ideas to diagnose this issue now. PLus I have this P0401 code that prolly means I need a new EGR..anyone wanna shed some light, give me good news? thanks
Posted By: projectSHO89_dup1 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 02:41 AM
Oh, fer crissakes...

You've got 8,558 posts on this boards and you have no clue on how to address misfires or a P0401 code???

What the heck did you use all that bandwidth on???

Steve
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 03:01 AM
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
Oh, fer crissakes...

You've got 8,558 posts on this boards and you have no clue on how to address misfires or a P0401 code???

Steve

umm actually i know how to address my missfires, if you read above I have almost done all I can to try to isolate why or what is causing this missfire. As I said above im outa ideas which is why im asking if I should check somthing else..If you have somthing useful to share then please do, if not then dont bother posting how im a waste of internet space..
Posted By: Rogerm60 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
PLus I have this P0401 code that prolly means I need a new EGR

I don't remember anyone ever actually needing an EGR valve.

Clean the freaking intakes!

Make sure the IMRC works! Both sides!

Are your cats good?
Fuel problems can cause misses too. Injectors clean? Fuel pressure good?

How do the cylinders look inside?

Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Rogerm60:

Are your cats good?

he just did a intake rebuild ....

i would get in there and test the egr valve, apply vacuum to the dpfe sensor and if it doesn't cause the idle to stumble then the egr valve needs to be replaced. I would also check all the connections to your headers for the egr and check the hose to and from the dpfe sensor

also if you have a hesitation or bucking off idle but the car idles great and you have good upper rpm power verify that the secondaries are not open at idle as this will cause this problem
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 01:55 PM
My secondaries are fine, I feel them open each time attempt to get on it. I'll try to clean the EGR with a wire brush and check all its connections..
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 04:25 PM

He just did recently.

Are your cats good?

Probably not, as he just had headers installed. Read much??

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Mid Life Crisis:

He just did recently.

Are your cats good?

I have headers but with MILs
Posted By: getsum111 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 05:02 PM
Goonz, I remember you posted about the wires(ground, not plug) to the coil pack being connected. Did you try to sand them down a bit? Mine were kinda cruddy when I did mine. You may also want to trace where the wires go to, maybe they've got a little short somewhere? Hope you find it soon, good luck.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 05:17 PM
thanks scott, I will go check. I know while elky and I were doing my serp. belt, we found this random ground wire wedged in there along the tracks of the serp belt, the wire was completely eaten up. Now I hafta cut and splice and make a proper ground, even though I have no idea where it goes. It comes out the firewall to the left of the coilpack..its like the only wire comming out.
Posted By: getsum111 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 05:19 PM
I won't be able to check mine till I get home today, about 3:30 ish. If you want, I can check on mine and let you know where it goes (hopefully).
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 05:22 PM

He just did recently.

Are your cats good?

This question is for Mid Life Crisis. Prior to Rogerm60's post, where did the words intakes or headers appear?
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 05:54 PM
Originally posted by getsum111:
I won't be able to check mine till I get home today, about 3:30 ish. If you want, I can check on mine and let you know where it goes (hopefully).

Well elky and I did check in his SVT..it grounds to the side of the power steering fluid resevior. However I have other wires grounded there. You know my car is really really weird compared to all you other SVT owners. I guess this is what you get with having an early build car..one of the first actually
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Tony2005:

He just did recently.

Are your cats good?

This question is for Mid Life Crisis. Prior to Rogerm60's post, where did the words intakes or headers appear?

Well Tony, if you've been following Gonnz's postings, like most have us have...that would all be called Old News.

UIM/LIM rebuild:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1187349&page=54&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1

Headers here:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=picsvids&Number=1186214&Forum=All_Forums&Words=18629&Match=Username&Searchpage=42&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1184306&Search=true#Post1186214

Now before you go and get all "well that wasn't all listed in the post", people shouldn't be giving off the cuff advice w/out knowing the history of what has been attempted or repaired. Goonz has been on here for several months trying to get this misfire addressed. Search "Boggle" and "Misfire".
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 06:20 PM

He just did recently.

Are your cats good?

Well Tony, if you've been following Gonnz's postings, like most have us have...that would all be called Old News.

UIM/LIM rebuild:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1187349&page=54&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1

Headers here:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=picsvids&Number=1186214&Forum=All_Forums&Words=18629&Match=Username&Searchpage=42&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1184306&Search=true#Post1186214

Now before you go and get all "well that wasn't all listed in the post", people shouldn't be giving off the cuff advice w/out knowing the history of what has been attempted or repaired. Goonz has been on here for several months trying to get this misfire addressed. Search "Boggle" and "Misfire".

So now we are supposed to go through all the 8558 posts of Goonz everytime he posts in troubleshooting?

And yes, "well that wasn't all listed in the post".

And if you read the first post (by Lance) on this forum, the onus is on the poster to tell as much information as possble if he/she wants help.

Read this.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=195567&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 06:26 PM

So now we are supposed to go through all the 8558 posts of Goonz everytime he posts in troubleshooting?

W3rd. I can't keep straight what on my friends' cars, let alone half of CEG.
Posted By: getsum111 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 06:29 PM
True. But since I was doing my UIM/LIM at the same time, I noticed his posts, and since he was still havin' trouble I guess I just remembered all his troubles.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 06:31 PM
heres the ground wire im talking about..comes out from the firewall

Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 06:32 PM
... I guess I just remembered all his troubles.

kinda hard to miss imho, if it isn't cars or planes all goonz talks about is how his car isn't running right

Posted By: ElKy Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 06:35 PM
goonbonzo, take a pic of that tube on the intake side too.

that ground wire in my car loops below the power steering res. and is attached to the fender, haroon already has a ground wire from somewhere else going to that location.

as for the tube...
on the back side of the motor a few inches below the EGR he has an open tube that is maybe 1/8" ID.
the open end is facing the drivers side.
my car does not have this.
i also have an E0.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 06:40 PM
Open tube? That doesn't sound good. Not too many difference between the 2 that I've noticed. Vac lines are basically the same. Still a red hard line to the fpr, green to EGR valve. The rest goes to the black vac thingy (LOL!) and the 2 ports coming out of the fire wall. if it makes it to SZ we'll figure it out.
Posted By: ElKy Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 06:49 PM
i meant to mention the tube is metal, has a gold color to it.
looks like a rubber hose is supposed to connect to it.
but my car doesnt have it, and i couldnt find anything like it on my car in that area.

hrrmm, i should have tried plugging it to see if anything changed.

Haroonomiala, try plugging the tube and see how the car runs.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 06:59 PM
there are actually 2 open plugs LOL

Posted By: ElKy Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 07:05 PM
woah..i missed the one on theleft!
that wire kinda covers the one on the right.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 07:08 PM
Originally posted by ElKy:
!
that wire kinda covers the one on the right.

yupp
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 07:16 PM

He just did recently.

Are your cats good?

UIM/LIM rebuild:

Headers here:

And yes, "well that wasn't all listed in the post".

And if you read the first post (by Lance) on this forum, the onus is on the poster to tell as much information as possble if he/she wants help.

Read this.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=195567&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

Well Tony, then I guess you've proved...something?

Enjoy...reward yourself with a cookie and a glass of milk.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 07:46 PM
Isn't that the EGR pipe?!!! Supposed to have 2 ports that have vacuum hoses that run into the 2 ports at the bottom of the DPFE sensor! You can see in the pic the DPFE sensor "metal block" with brown, yellow, white wires connected to the plug. Did they forget to put them back on when your headers were installed?!!!!!!!!!!!! Elky all Contours have them. LOL! No wonder your car runs like ass Goonz!

See pic!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 07:59 PM
could that be the reason for the missfire? hopefully

yea im pretty sure the shop forgot to connect them
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 10:15 PM
Correct routing of the ground wires.

Wire 1

Wire 2

Hoses to DPFE sensor. You are missing both.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 10:26 PM
both those hoses connect to the to the DPFE sensor?
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 10:57 PM
nvm..got it from Bill

The two hosese are these circled

they are like $4 a hose

now could these have been the reason why my car was missfiring? hopefully? maybe
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/09/06 11:14 PM
Now I'm starting to think with those hoses missing, what you think is a misfire is not.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/10/06 02:51 AM
$4 a hose? Just go to Napa and get some 1/4 fuel hose.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/10/06 03:32 AM
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
Oh, fer crissakes...

Steve

What a helpful attitude!
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/10/06 03:37 AM
Originally posted by todras:
$4 a hose? Just go to Napa and get some 1/4 fuel hose.

Fuel hose won't last long from exposure to exhaust gases. That's why the silly silicon hoses are used.
Posted By: Rogerm60 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/10/06 04:51 AM

Well Tony, then I guess you've proved...something?

Enjoy...reward yourself with a cookie and a glass of milk.

You embarrass yourself.

Tony has been an outstandingly helpfull member.
He has respectfully refrained from juvenile insults.

There is already so much troubleshooting info on this site that typically a person should only need hints and the search function.

Before attempting to work on a car, the owner should really take a hard look at their understanding of the systems involved and their ability to rule them out as the source of the problem, one by one. People on this forum can help with that to some degree, with adequate information and cooperation.

There remains a few people who would be best served by getting some GOOD first hand instruction, or failing that, moving on to a more suitable endeavor. This is no insult to them, no one can do everything.

I for one, respect people for what they can do, and not for what they cannot.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/10/06 12:10 PM
I'm just glad to see Goonz get somewhere. Poor brotha.
Posted By: Rogerm60 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/10/06 12:36 PM

Indeed!

So Goonz, I take it that this new header has the EGR tube hooked up to it? If exhaust comes out of the hose attachment nipples you should be good to go. The one nearest the exhaust pipe goes to the upstream DPFE port. The one nearest the EGR valve goes to the downstream port. Reversing them will give you a P0403 or P1409.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/10/06 03:11 PM

Indeed!

So Goonz, I take it that this new header has the EGR tube hooked up to it? If exhaust comes out of the hose attachment nipples you should be good to go. The one nearest the exhaust pipe goes to the upstream DPFE port. The one nearest the EGR valve goes to the downstream port. Reversing them will give you a P0403 or P1409.

thanks I appreciate that, that was gonna be my next question. First im gonna look for those hosese there just to see if they are even on the DPFE sensor, if not, i'll order oem Ford ones.

today shall be a very important day..wish me luck
Posted By: getsum111 Re: P0401/Missfiring - 05/11/06 11:45 AM
x2. Hope that was it!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/11/06 04:33 PM
I connected the lines as pictured above. The car still ran like crap! Even when its idling you can hear these pops that dont sound healthy. The car is still bucking under low RPM's and steady acceleration. What to do now..? Im thinking of changing the plugs to a different brand say, Champions? just to see..I really have nothing else to check now, totally at a loss..
Posted By: getsum111 Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/11/06 04:38 PM
I'd pull a couple of plugs to see what they look like, before you spend more $$$. Maybe having the leak did something to them, and maybe not. But i think you should check them out before shelling ut more $.

P.S. Did you reset the computer?
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/11/06 04:41 PM

P.S. Did you reset the computer?

no I did not reset it.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/11/06 04:43 PM
It's either plugs or wires. Don't care what you have done already and how much. I'm guessing wires. Disconnect the battery for a while too. Fuse 4&11 hasn't been working for me as well as pulling the batt.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/11/06 04:53 PM
It's either plugs or wires. Don't care what you have done already and how much. I'm guessing wires. Disconnect the battery for a while too. Fuse 4&11 hasn't been working for me as well as pulling the batt.

Todd it cant be the wires, I switched my wires while this was happening to a brand new set of FMS wires, the car was still runing like @$$. It was no different then the Magnecores I had in. The coil pack is brand new too, all properly grounded and what not. The only thing I havent changed are my plugs. Well I did but I got the same brand Autolites like last time so maybe a different brand might suite the Magnecores, or maybe not, I really dont know..I will try to get a new set of Champion plugs just for kicks..
Posted By: getsum111 Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/11/06 04:57 PM
Try resetting the comp. first!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/11/06 05:03 PM
Try resetting the comp. first!

I just reseted the battery..I'll wait 10 - 15 mins..
Posted By: getsum111 Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/11/06 05:07 PM
Good Luck
<crosses fingers>
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/11/06 06:09 PM

I agree with Todd 100%. New plugs and wires don't mean much. I still think it is a bad combo of plugs and wires.

Ford Racing could of been misfiring right from the start, and the Magnecors might have some connection problems like mine did.

Funny how my Magnecors and Goonz's both installed around the same time and both cars misfired around the same time but mine was solved with new plugs, cleaning, and dielectric grease.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/11/06 06:23 PM
reseted the battery, nothing

im gonna leave in a bit to get new plugs..
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/11/06 06:24 PM

And grease.

The clean the boots up really good.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/11/06 06:30 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

And grease.

The clean the boots up really good.

I did last time, bought that special boot cleaner and put that stuff on the plugs and in the wires..i'll do it again
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/11/06 10:43 PM
so I took Pete's advice and bought Champion plugz from AZ..sure enough, they worked! I put that die-electric stuff in the wires and on the plugs, I put alot of it on too. Took my car for a 30min beat down where I was freaking redlining everywhere. The car was smooth with no hesitation and bucking. I couldnt believe it. AND it idle'd very well too now! no dipping..I think God is smiling down on me...for once

but im not getting too cocky, never know what ELSE might happen

but for now I feel relieved..sorta
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/12/06 01:43 AM
Kick arse! Never thought I'd see the day. Told you it was one of the 2. I've never heard of anyone with issues with the APP764's though.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/12/06 04:05 AM
Kick arse! Never thought I'd see the day. Told you it was one of the 2. I've never heard of anyone with issues with the APP764's though.

yea man! Im pumped, and hopefull nothin else will happen now
Posted By: getsum111 Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/12/06 10:57 AM
Cool. I'm glad you finally got it worked out. Now, go hit the redline a few more times!
Posted By: BeetleJuice Re: P0401/Missfiring *UPDATE* - 05/18/06 06:59 PM
Goonz,

i'm happy you got it figured out
i had the same problem / fault code and got it solved by replacing EGR sensor (minor improvement) and plugs / wires which got things back to the way it should be.
i guess a good plugs / wires set is solution to almost everything :-) ... as someone here says always try the cheap and easy ones first
© CEG Archives