Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I bought a 95 Contour GL a few weeks ago.. the MPG is really pissing me off. My other car is a 5 speed mazda (92 protege), gets great mileage.. maybe I'm just used to that.

On a full tank, I'll get a max of around 210 miles per tank.

Engine sounds normal, haven't heard anything from the brakes..

The check engine light has come on twice, both times I was going to stop and read the code but as soon as I slowed down, it went off.

The car always runs about 3/4th the way between the center of the temp. guage and the red area.. so I'm not sure on that, maybe just a thermostat? Running 50/50 coolant/antifreeze and I'm not leaking any.
Welcome .

"I bought a 95 Contour GL a few weeks ago"
Auto or manual tranny?

How many miles on the engine?

V6 Duratec or I4 Zetec?

"On a full tank, I'll get a max of around 210 miles per tank."
You need to base on how many miles to the gallon. The fuel gauge is notoriously inaccurate for estimating mileage. Fill up, record the number of miles driven until time to fill up again, then fill up and divide mileage by number of gallons and post the miles per gallon.

"The check engine light has come on twice, both times I was going to stop and read the code but as soon as I slowed down, it went off."
You can still scan for an intermittent code.

"The car always runs about 3/4th the way between the center of the temp. guage and the red area.. so I'm not sure on that, maybe just a thermostat?"
Maybe, but could also be normal.
Automatic, I4, 117,000 miles

Using that number (225 was total distance today, I actually drove it until it died from having no gas :P).. and assuming it has a 13 gallon tank (I don't pay attention, sadly :P).. that comes out to 17.3mpg.

Originally posted by protegechris:
Automatic, I4, 117,000 miles

Using that number (225 was total distance today, I actually drove it until it died from having no gas :P).. and assuming it has a 13 gallon tank (I don't pay attention, sadly :P).. that comes out to 17.3mpg.

Can't assume how much tank can hold. Need to do the fill up and calculations.

In addition, automatics get lower mileage than manual. You should be looking at 20 or so mpg in city driving and 26 or so for highway (I get 18 for city and 24 for highway for my V6 auto). Zetec I4 auto owners will probably be able to give a better estimate.

Is your Check Engine light on? Mileage goes down a lot when that is on. If the light is on, you need to scan (free service at Autozone or Advance Auto) and post the codes. Or you can scan it yourself since it is a 95 (OBD-I).
The light is on almost constantly now (not just heat related I suppose), and autozone won't scan it because they say they'll only do 96+ (obd-2 i guess)

How do I pull the code manually? Used a paper clip on my old mazda.
Yep, paperclip will do it.

I think the directions are off the Main Site link.

Steve
http://www.thorssell.net/hbook/eectest.html

No idea on that? O_O That's the only link I was finding for checking it.. and says I need a voltmeter..

http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=10

Edit: I found more instructions here:
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=441544&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

Unfortunately, I have no documentation and no experience pulling codes with a ford... where's the self test connector?
Forget about the test light or voltmeter. The CEL will flash the codes when you put the paperclip in the "socket" as a jumper. Or just buy a Actron OBD-I code reader for $35. Open the hood and you should see the "socket" near the driver side strut tower.
I had a Contour like that... was a 95 purple contour GL too. Basically the running hot part, is just the sending unit, check engine might be EGR related, all I can think of...
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Forget about the test light or voltmeter. The CEL will flash the codes when you put the paperclip in the "socket" as a jumper. Or just buy a Actron OBD-I code reader for $35. Open the hood and you should see the "socket" near the driver side strut tower.

If you haven't found the OBD I connector, I found this picture while reading some old threads.
Originally posted by R_G:
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
stupid question but where's the obd connector on the car, I just got my kit and there weren't any directions in the box. . .

From what I gather it's near the driver's side front strut?

Does the contour have a 16 gallon tank??? Or did I miss something in my owner's manual?
My 95 contour GL, 2.0 has a 14 gallon tank. I calculated mine a while back to get about 22 mpg city. Its supposed to be 24 mpg according to fuel economy websites.
Originally posted by ZeroHour:
Does the contour have a 16 gallon tank??? Or did I miss something in my owner's manual?

You don't calculate based on the capacity of the tank (unless you drive until you have fumes only left in the tank ).

You calculate based on the number of gallons put in the tank and the number of miles driven prior to that fill up. And you do it a few times to get an accurate average.

Edit. 1996 model, 14.5 gallons (55 liters) fuel tank capacity.
When I jumper that, do I need someone in the car or does the CEL wait to flash for a while?

After replacing the missing brake cap, the light hasn't come on after shutting it off when I replaced it.

About the sending unit... did you ever repair it? Cost and part names if so!
© CEG Archives