Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
My 99 Contour SE (V6 2.5l) is having EGR Excessive Flow issues (CEL P402). Based on other posts, it seems like the DPFE sensor is a likely cause. The newer plastic version seems to be preferred to the metal one. However, the dealer told me that the plastic one only fits a 4 cylinder engine and that I would need a metal one for my car.

Looking at my DPFE sensor, it seems like a metal one would be a better fit for the two hoses that connect to the bottom. Is there any benefit to getting a plastic one other than price? And can anyone verify that a plastic DPFE sensor will work with a V6 engine? I appreciate your input. Thanks!
Get the plastic one from Autozone etc.
Whatever you get, get the one the catalog calls for.
I just replaced my DPFE sensor with a plastic one a few weeks ago for my 99 V6. It is a better one that the metal ones.
It also got rid of my EGR flow excessive code.
So the dealer is full of ish? The plastic one or the metal one will work?
pretty sure it has been noted before that the plastic one should now be used as the metal one could rust out over time and fail
So is it true that the people on this site are together smarter than a common Ford dealership?
Collectively, yes.. that is entirely true.

Originally posted by Ray:
Collectively, yes.. that is entirely true.

And also very humble.

In all seriousness, you are getting the collective experience of maybe 5,000 CEGers who read and/or post on a regular basis. And we usually only deal with Contours/Mystiques. So the probability of getting "good help" (and cheap) here is very high.
I said COLLECTIVELY.. I NEVER said me!

Originally posted by Ray:
I said COLLECTIVELY.. I NEVER said me!

I am finally going to order the sensor offline. I went to the dealer today and they gave me the following codes:

-Sensor that is in my car currently - F5RZ-9J460-A
-Sensor that will replace - 4W12-9J460-AA

I am looking to buy off this site: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1106356,parttype,5092
Seems to be one of the best deals I could find. I am looking at the two metal sensors at the bottom and I am wondering which one to get. The plastic sensors look like the "prongs" on it are different than the metal ones so I assume that I should just get the metal one. Just being over cautious and wondering which one to get. I know I'm annoying but I'm just making sure. Thanks!

Link is screwed up, please copy and paste.
use the rockauto discount code in the Duratec maintenance FAQ pinned at the top of the duratec maintenance forum.

If it is expired, NVMYSVT is the one that supplies the code, I do believe.

I surely plan on doing so Ray. But which one do I get?
BUMP
BUMP
Get the plastic one.
Thanks Tony, I'll get it then. Now I suppose I just have to battle with the Ford techs and convince them it is the right one when they put it in.
Just for closure, I went ahead and just bought the sensor from the local Autozone. It was metal but I installed it anyway and it cleared up the EGR Excessive Flow issues.
Install it yourself! It is not a hard job at all.
© CEG Archives