Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Myrosia Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/10/06 02:29 PM
I want to replace my spark plugs. What are the best replacements for the best gas mileage?

Should I stay with Motorcraft OEM? Or the Autolite Platinum? What's the difference between single and double platinum?

I have a 1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L DOHC SFI.

Thanks!

Mary

Ps. I have 100K miles, what's the best fuel treatment to clean the entire fuel system?
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/10/06 03:08 PM
double platium is the way to go.

They are "double" platium as in two layers of platium. It is to make them last longer, and provide slightly better spark for the beging part of their life.

Don't forget antiseize and di-grease.

Check your autoparts store for packets before getting suckered into buying a bottle I own a 12 oz bottle of antiseize which will last me after death.
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/10/06 03:10 PM
duh forget fuel system.

-Replace fuel filter, search its on here, not hard, but watch your eyes.

-replace air filter

-You're doing plugs, maybe wires if they aren't in good shape

-fuel injector cleaner

thats probably the best start right there.
Posted By: Myrosia Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/10/06 05:00 PM
Thanks for the respone!

Although, you didn't suggest to go witg Motorcraft or Autolites?

Also, my lifters are making noise like clicking noise. How to I clean the lifters form sticking?

Posted By: striker2 Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/10/06 06:50 PM
when was the last time you had your oil changed. if its been a while have it changed. the lifters tend to click/tap when the oil is old and dirty.
Posted By: jtour Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/10/06 07:04 PM
New plugs/wires
fuel filter
Transmission flush
Air filter
Cleaning of MAF sensor
Oil change
Proper inflated tires

Thats about it.....good luck.
Originally posted by ZeroHour:
double platium is the way to go.

They are "double" platium as in two layers of platium. It is to make them last longer . . .

Double platinum means that there is a platinum disc on both the center wire and side wire. Double platinum is essentual on your type of ignition system. The platinum tip is needed on the firing tip. Half of the cylinders fire the plugs in the conventional manner from the center wire to the side wire, and half the opposite from the side wire to the center wire. The original factory plugs had two different pat numbers, both single platinum, one part number with the center wire platinum disc and the other part number with the platinum disc on the side wire. To make the replacement plug "idiot proof" so that you could not accidently install the wrong plug in the wrong hole, they use a platinum disc on both the side wire and the center wire.
Posted By: Myrosia Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/11/06 02:28 PM
Ok...then if they are only for extended life of the plug. I don't care about double platinum then. I can buy the Autolite single platinum for half much cheaper.

Ie.

Single platinum: 6 plugs for $8
Double platinum: 6 plugs for $24

Since I already invested so much money in the car this past year, I will go with the single.

Ps. FYI, I just replaced the O2 sensor upstream and it cost $130. I also use the Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic oil...another costy investment. I have new wires, ect ect.

In addition, I still get that ticking noise. It sounds like the lifter(s) are sticking, how do I correct that without major overhaul?
Originally posted by Myrosia:

Next change of plugs at 200k, priceless.

Why the f--- are you sweating $16 friggen dollars for something that should last 4 or more years versus something that could cause problems in mere months?

Ps. FYI, I just replaced the O2 sensor upstream and it cost $130. I also use the Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic oil...another costy investment. I have new wires, ect ect.

If you don't like having to do maintenance maybe you should take the bus

Your car has 100k miles, it REQUIRES maintenance.
Posted By: Myrosia Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/11/06 08:11 PM
bigMoneyRacing...I appreciate you responding but not in that tone of voice.

FYI, I have the Motorcraft platinum right now. The original from when I bought the car. They have 100K miles on them right now....hmm...any problems?? NO....priceless...yes, I think so. They merely need to be replaced per maintainence!!!

In addition, perhaps $16 in nothing to you...but for some of us other unfortunates, every penny counts. Obviously, you've never gone hungry!

How often do you change that Mobil 1?
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:
Why the f--- are you sweating $16 friggen dollars for something that should last 4 or more years versus something that could cause problems in mere months? If you don't like having to do maintenance maybe you should take the bus

Your car has 100k miles, it REQUIRES maintenance.

I'm not sure, but I didn't think the Zetec required Double Plats...
Posted By: Myrosia Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/11/06 09:53 PM

Every 3,000 miles

Every 3,000 miles

His point was that this is a complete waste of money. If you're running Mobil 1, you should probably run it every 5000 miles as recommended by Ford.

Also, you may want to research Spark Plugs in the Zetec Mainintance forum. It appears as if the 4 cylinder (Zetec) comes with 2 Double Plats and 2 Regular Plats from the factory. I would absolutely recommend sticking with service manual recommendations. If it came from the factory that way, there's probably a reason for it.
Not to hijack the thread, but if you really calculate it out, Mobil 1 isn't that expensive of an investment.

Mobil 1, 6 quarts ($24-Walmart) + $3.50 filter=$27.50 total
Namebrand dino: 6 quarts ($1.90/qt) +$3.50 filter=$14.90 tot

Mobil 1: 5000miles/$27.50= roughly 182 miles/dollar
dino: 3000miles/$14.90= rougly 201miles/dollar

In my mind, it isn't as expensive as people try to make it. Furthermore, I think it'd be a more logical argument to use dino oil instead of synthetic as a substitute for double plat plugs. Just my pov.
Do yourself and your car a favor. Use either Autolite double-platinum or the new Motorcraft finewire plug. Skip the conventional single platinum plug as it won't last very long. The finewire is a new style that makes the double platinum electrodes unneeded.

You can look up the correct Motorcraft replacement part at www.motorcraft.com AutoZone sells them for about $4.60 each.

Changing Mobil 1 at 3K miles is like throwing away 1/2 of every bottle of Jack Daniel's. You're wasting up to at least half of it's useful life (depending on your driving patterns).

Steve
6000 is about the limit on a Mobil 1 oil change, unless you have ideal conditions (no stop go, steady speeds, light right foot . I base oil change on does it look a bit too dark and have I used the quart added already?
Ok...then if they are only for extended life of the plug. I don't care about double platinum then. I can buy the Autolite single platinum for half much cheaper.

Ie.

Since I already invested so much money in the car this past year, I will go with the single.

In addition, I still get that ticking noise. It sounds like the lifter(s) are sticking, how do I correct that without major overhaul?

I don't say this often, but are you taking stupid pills?

The single plats will wear extremely fast on half of the engine.

If you think you are saving money by making it necessary to change the plugs every 20,000 miles instead of 60,000 to 100,000, you must be taking stupid pills.
Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
6000 is about the limit on a Mobil 1 oil change, unless you have ideal conditions (no stop go, steady speeds, light right foot . I base oil change on does it look a bit too dark and have I used the quart added already?

You are full of it. Several CEGr's have posted lab test results on Mobil 1 going over 10,000 miles with life to spare. The ONLY way to accurately estimate how long of a drain interval to use is with an oil analysis. Too dark??
Wowo just wow. Messed up post. Can't spend $24 on the correct spark plugs.
Posted By: ronin45 Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/13/06 02:39 PM
woh, you guys are being a little harsh on a GIRL there aren't you? i mean i agree with everything that's been said but think it could've been worded more "gentlemanly"
Originally posted by ronin45:
woh, you guys are being a little harsh on a GIRL there aren't you? i mean i agree with everything that's been said but think it could've been worded more "gentlemanly"

Sorry about that. I didn't realize that we were talking to a lady. My apologies for my ungentlemanly comments.

Still, your best bank for the buck on spark plugs on this engine is Autolite double platinum APP764. If you fust do the single plats, you may as well put in the non platinums, as one half of the engine will have the plugs wear as fast as if there were no platinum tips at all.
Quote:

You are full of it. Several CEGr's have posted lab test results on Mobil 1 going over 10,000 miles with life to spare. The ONLY way to accurately estimate how long of a drain interval to use is with an oil analysis. Too dark??

I only know what I have directly experienced with oil. My family's short trip driving tends to make the oil dirty fast. The oil drained out at 6000 miles usually almost resembles driveway sealer, consistent with several cars (Mystiques,Dodge Lancer,Mercury Sable). My father's Avalon could go longer, easier driving and tighter engine (low miles on it). Maybe I could get oil analysis the next drain of dark smelly oil, I wonder if it would pass? Who's a good lab for that? The Mobil 1 does seem to keep my wrenches away from the inside of the engines, so I am happy with its performance. I even use it in small (mower, snowblower) engines, easier to start and they run a bit cooler, use less oil.

Except for the crude presentation, I agree with BigMoney on this one, as well as the sparkplug thing.

I just got done changing my Mobil 1 out after putting 8K of HARD driving on it. I used three filters during that time and it ran almost as well at the end of cycle as it did in the beginning. I can't get enough of that Mobil 1. WELL worth the price, but truly unneccessary for those who aren't utterly obsessed with reducing engine wear. A good synthetic blend will do fine for most people's driving habits, and can be changed a bit later than normal oil. A good filter is also key here. I always buy a PureOne Purolator oil filter. To me, an extra dollar for the one of the best off-the-shelf oil filters is a dollar well spent. Don't buy that FRAM crap. The build quality on those is disgustingly crude.

As for the sparkplugs, just buy the double platinums. I know darn well it seems like wasted money, but it really can save you a headache or two in the future. Autolite Double plats are VERY affordable, offer great OEM-quality(they're built in the same factory as motorcrafts...), and last a LONG time. I myself bought $10 apiece NGK Laser Platinums. I'll never have to change those out for as long as I own the car, and they offer fantastic performance, if only a little bit better than the Autolites. That, however, is a testament to just how good of a bargain the Autolite double plats are....

Happy to opinionate...
I noticed you are in Texas, your car probably doesn't run "cold" as much as it does here in the frozen North. I think the cold running rich causes the oil to smell bad and get dark early. The oil interval I figure what's right is what works for the conditions . I can see the camshaft(V6 at the oil fill hole) in the Mystique basically does not wear, using Mobil 1, even after 100,000 miles.
I noticed you are in Texas, your car probably doesn't run "cold" as much as it does here in the frozen North. I think the cold running rich causes the oil to smell bad and get dark early. The oil interval I figure what's right is what works for the conditions . I can see the camshaft(V6 at the oil fill hole) in the Mystique basically does not wear, using Mobil 1, even after 100,000 miles.

You're right, I completely forgot about the temperatures. For a while there, we had a mini-winter(about two weeks...) where it got REALLY cold. Now I don't know how unusual this is in other states, but in Texas, it is considered really poor weather when you get out and your antenna has literally turned into a popsicle. No joke, I had a sheet of ice covering my car. Other than that, My car almost always runs in the "AL" range on the coolant temp gauge. Sadly, my oil is tortured beyond normal circumstances on a daily basis, between my brick-like right foot and my fans malfunctioning(low-speed fan comes on when Hi-speed should, not when it should normally) my oil sees some PUNISHMENT. Mobil 1 withstood it for 8K without any signs of failure. I call that a winner.

However, I cannot attest to knowing about COLD weather performance. Of that I know very little. Maybe someone can look into it?
She asked about lifters ticking.

You can do something about that, if its not just needing an oil change, its called auto-rx. Its an engine oil desludging tool. You basically pour it in near the end of an oil cycle's life with a new filter. Run it a while, change the oil, use dyno oil (buy some good stuff, valvoline, castrol, something low sulfur) run it short, change it to whatever you want.

You'll probably get some folks who say you can't do that, that it will remove sludge which is actually sealing leaks in the seals of your engine. That is true, it did happen a lot on older cars if you switched to a detergent based oil. If you're already running mobil 1, you're probably ok, as mobil 1 is pretty viscous and seeps out of leaking seals well. I did auto-rx on three cars over 100k miles and had no leaks from any of them. Switched two of them to mobil 1 afterwards and they're fine at 25k+ miles later.

Also, you might try a top end cleaner like seafoam or berrymans. You run it into a vaccum line to decarbon the top of the motor. There are probably instructions here somewhere, but the basic idea is to get the car hot, then using a funnel arrangement, suck about half a can of cleaner into a running motor - you might need a helper, the motor will want to die as it injests the fluid. Kill the engine and let it sit. After about 15 min fire it up and go for a drive. It will belch smoke, this is normal. Run till the smoke clears up. Repeat with the other half of the can.

both of those, in addition to the filter & tire suggestions here should help fuel mileage.

Another thought. I don't now how hard the plugs are on a zetec, but a copper plug which acutally produce a better spark becuase copper is a better conductor of electricty than platinum. Platinum didn't come about to improve performance, rather to enhance life. I didn't read about copper here, haven't researched copper on the zetec/duratec, so there might be something in the ignition system which prevents it, but on the modular cars, which also use an app764 plug (I think, it sounds very familar) , the awsf-32c motorcraft is the best bang for the buck performance wise. Natuarally it has a much shorter life (24k miles vs 100k).

Finally, on Mobil 1, you really should extend your change interval. If you're worried about it, use blackstone or similar to do an oil analysis. On the truck I tow with I can get about 6k miles. On my Lincoln with a DOHC I can get 7500 (I change at 5K cause I'm paranoid). 3k would be pretty low unless you were a taxi in the city doing a lot of idling and short tripping or something.

I agree, Mobil1 is not that much more expensive than conventional when you extend the change interval.

Scott
Posted By: Myrosia Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/18/06 10:25 PM
Originally posted by projectSHO89:
Do yourself and your car a favor. Use either Autolite double-platinum or the new Motorcraft finewire plug. Skip the conventional single platinum plug as it won't last very long. The finewire is a new style that makes the double platinum electrodes unneeded.

You can look up the correct Motorcraft replacement part at www.motorcraft.com AutoZone sells them for about $4.60 each.

Changing Mobil 1 at 3K miles is like throwing away 1/2 of every bottle of Jack Daniel's. You're wasting up to at least half of it's useful life (depending on your driving patterns).

Steve

Thanks Steve. I am going with the Motorcraft FineWire.

AZFS32FE

In addition, zgendron stated:

"Also, you may want to research Spark Plugs in the Zetec Mainintance forum. It appears as if the 4 cylinder (Zetec) comes with 2 Double Plats and 2 Regular Plats from the factory. I would absolutely recommend sticking with service manual recommendations. If it came from the factory that way, there's probably a reason for it."

What's the deal with that?

Thanks

Mary
When manufactured, both the Zetec and the Duratec were assembled with single-plat plugs on one side. The double plats were needed on the other side of the coil's polarity used doubles (or fine-wires) due to the opposite polarity of the spark in the waste fire system. Using the single plats where they were sufficient to operate correctly saved a little money on every car that Ford built. Over the entire production run, the cost savings were significant. Ford used this same strategy for most of their engines with waste-fire systems.

Replacements are done with either double plats or finewires, eliminating the need to stock and to install two different plugs when changing them. At the retail level, the cost per job is not significant.

I asked for Motorcrafts last week at my local AZ store for the wife's car. They didn't have enough on hand so I ended up with APP764s which were on hand. The old ones were still running great at about 50K miles but I have emissions tests this month that required a new O2 sensor. Since I was already under the coil pack, it was simple to change the rear bank at the same time. Wife's new job is now an 80 mile daily round trip, so, hopefully, the new plugs and O2 sensor will keep fuel economy on the upper end.

I even put sythetic oil in it so I don't have to change as frequently.

Steve
Posted By: Myrosia Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/19/06 05:29 PM
When manufactured, both the Zetec and the Duratec were assembled with single-plat plugs on one side. The double plats were needed on the other side of the coil's polarity used doubles (or fine-wires) due to the opposite polarity of the spark in the waste fire system. Using the single plats where they were sufficient to operate correctly saved a little money on every car that Ford built. Over the entire production run, the cost savings were significant. Ford used this same strategy for most of their engines with waste-fire systems.

Replacements are done with either double plats or finewires, eliminating the need to stock and to install two different plugs when changing them. At the retail level, the cost per job is not significant.

I asked for Motorcrafts last week at my local AZ store for the wife's car. They didn't have enough on hand so I ended up with APP764s which were on hand. The old ones were still running great at about 50K miles but I have emissions tests this month that required a new O2 sensor. Since I was already under the coil pack, it was simple to change the rear bank at the same time. Wife's new job is now an 80 mile daily round trip, so, hopefully, the new plugs and O2 sensor will keep fuel economy on the upper end.

I even put sythetic oil in it so I don't have to change as frequently.

Steve

So, using the finewire wouuld be as good as using Autolite?
The Motorcraft finewires don't have platinum tips on the side wires so I don't believe that they work as well. Ford says they do work as well. Autolite has just started marketing their own finewire plugs. The correct part number for the one that fits out V6 is XP104. The Autolite finewire plug does have a platinum side wire. So far, the XP104 has been a bit pricy, but if they come down in price I will probably use it next time I change plugs.

As I said before, the best bang for the buck is the Autolite double platinum APP764.
Posted By: Myrosia Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/20/06 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
The Motorcraft finewires don't have platinum tips on the side wires so I don't believe that they work as well. Ford says they do work as well. Autolite has just started marketing their own finewire plugs. The correct part number for the one that fits out V6 is XP104. The Autolite finewire plug does have a platinum side wire. So far, the XP104 has been a bit pricy, but if they come down in price I will probably use it next time I change plugs.

As I said before, the best bang for the buck is the Autolite double platinum APP764.

I don't have a V6. I have an L4:

1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L DOHC SFI.

I believe they would be:

Autolite Platinum Pro/Extreme Perform. XP5364 .050 OE Style

or

Autolite Platinum Pro/Extreme Perform. APP5344 .050 Use until inventory is depleted

Autolite Platinum Pro/Extreme Perform. APP5364 .050 Replaces APP5344
I don't know the part numbers for the Zetec plugs. That sunds likely though.
Posted By: Myrosia Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/20/06 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
I don't know the part numbers for the Zetec plugs. That sunds likely though.

You can locate that info here:

http://www.autolite.org/

So, which plugs do I go with:

or

Autolite Platinum Pro/Extreme Perform. APP5344 .050 Use until inventory is depleted

Posted By: Myrosia Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/20/06 09:37 PM
I am guessiing I should go with the OEM Autolites?
The OEMs were Motorcraft, not Autolites.

Just install EITHER the Autolites or Motorcrafts and be done with it. Both will work just fine.

Steve
Posted By: Myrosia Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/21/06 05:24 PM

Just install EITHER the Autolites or Motorcrafts and be done with it. Both will work just fine.

Steve

Hey Steve. If you go to http://www.autolite.org/ and search for 1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L DOHC SFI,
you will see they list:

As you can see, they are saying that the XP5364 are OEM type.

My question is...which Autolite to use?

The Autolite XP5364 or Autolite APP5364?
In Canada, those plugs are called to run at 1.3mm
I guess thats .050".
I run DP's on all 4 cylinders on my Zetec.
We are down to -20c at night right now in Manitoba. Cold? yes very. If your ignition system is not up to it, you are going nowhere. Same goes for the block heater if parking outside!

Steve

Hey Steve. If you go to http://www.autolite.org/ and search for 1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L DOHC SFI,
you will see they list:

As you can see, they are saying that the XP5364 are OEM type.

My question is...which Autolite to use?

The Autolite XP5364 or Autolite APP5364?

Use the APP unless there is little or no difference in price between the APP and XP. You will notice little or no difference in performance between them.
I bought some Champion DP's a few months ago as a part store I frequent had a big sale. What's your take on these plugs?
Originally posted by SquareHead:
I bought some Champion DP's a few months ago as a part store I frequent had a big sale. What's your take on these plugs?

Put them in your lawnmower. Then hire a lawn service.

Myrosia: "OEM TYPE" does not mean that they are OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). It means they are intended to replace the OEM part in fit, finish, and function. Autolite makes the Motorcrafts anyway so the point is moot. Use either.

Steve
How bout an honest reply Jerk-Off.
Posted By: 98SVTC Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/23/06 02:08 AM
The subject of what plugs to use has come up probably a hundred times since I've been on this site. In every case, Motorcraft or Autolite or "what the manufacturer put in" has been the recommended answer. What brand not to use has been every other type known to man. Some members disregard the sage advice from the experts here and say they notice no difference. Well, that's fine. But if you ask a question about plugs, especially one that's been asked many times before, you might not get the answer you were expecting. For what it's worth, on small maintenance items, you can never go wrong with what Ford uses from the factory. Be it air or oil filters or plugs or batteries. In many cases, there's hardly any difference in price. In this case of plugs, there's absolutely no excuse for using anything else but Motorcraft or Autolite. I can't tell you what Champions will do in these engines. I've used them in my Ranger and they were okay. But that's a whole different type of engine than what we have in the Contour.
Karl
Posted By: Myrosia Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/29/06 07:08 AM

Steve

I just put in the Autolite Platinum Pro/Extreme Perform. APP5344 today!

Fist issue: The reach on the plug was about 1/4 inch longer than the Motorcraft and I was concerned with that.

Second issue: I notice a *decrease* in gas mileage....it's aweful. I just came back from driving a distance I drive all the time and notice I used almost used a 1/4 tank of gas when I normally ony use about and 1/8. Any idea why...could it be the Autolite plugs??

I am considering putting in the Motorcraft Finewire AZFS32FE. Perhaps I should stick with the Motorcraft....maybe my gas mileage will return to normal.

This is so frustrating!

-Mary
Posted By: Myrosia Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/29/06 02:36 PM
Edit:

I just put in the Autolite Platinum Pro/Extreme Perform. APP5364 today!

First issue: The reach on the plug was about 1/4 inch longer than the Motorcraft and I was concerned with that.
Also, the guy at the store said the gap should be 0.52 and the pugs were at set. BUT, at http://www.autolite.com, they say it should be at 0.50.

Second issue: I notice a *decrease* in gas mileage....it's aweful. I just came back from driving a distance I drive all the time and notice I used almost used a 1/4 tank of gas when I normally ony use about and 1/8.

Any idea why...could it be the Autolite plugs?? Maybe the gap being set at 0.52 instead of 0.50?

I am considering putting in the Motorcraft Finewire AZFS32FE. Perhaps I should stick with the Motorcraft....maybe my gas mileage will return to normal?

This is so frustrating!

-Mary

Posted By: Myrosia Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/29/06 05:57 PM
OK...I returned the Auotlite out back in the Motorcrafts.

I noticed that the OEM Motorcrafts are two different ones.

Plugs 1 & 2 are Motorcraft part # AZFS32F and 3 & 4 are part # AZFS32FE.

They told me that's why the Autolites didn't work and gave me bad gas mileage. That I have to resinstall the OEM's with the two different part #'s.

Posted By: Myrosia Re: Replace spark plugs - best gas mileage? - 01/29/06 06:02 PM
Originally posted by zgendron:

Every 3,000 miles

His point was that this is a complete waste of money. If you're running Mobil 1, you should probably run it every 5000 miles as recommended by Ford.

Also, you may want to research Spark Plugs in the Zetec Mainintance forum. It appears as if the 4 cylinder (Zetec) comes with 2 Double Plats and 2 Regular Plats from the factory. I would absolutely recommend sticking with service manual recommendations. If it came from the factory that way, there's probably a reason for it.

Yup, you are right on! Read me last post. I had issues with the Autolite and they said I must replace my sparkplugs with 2 Double Plats and 2 Regular Plats from the factory.
OK...I returned the Auotlite out back in the Motorcrafts.

I noticed that the OEM Motorcrafts are two different ones.

Plugs 1 & 2 are Motorcraft part # AZFS32F and 3 & 4 are part # AZFS32FE.

They told me that's why the Autolites didn't work and gave me bad gas mileage. That I have to resinstall the OEM's with the two different part #'s.

Last I knew, Ford does not sell replacement plugs identical to the factory installed plug for your engine. The reason for the two different factory installed plugs is because two of the cylinders fire in the conventional manner from the center electrode to the side wire, and two cylinders fire in reverse, from the side wire to the center electrode. Single platinum is all that is needed, but the platinum tip is on the firing element only, so two factory installed plugs will have a platinum button on the center electrode and two of them will have the platinum button on the side wire. Motorcraft replacement plugs for that engine are double platinum, with a platinum button on the side wire and the center electrode. This does two things, 1st, they don't need to stock as many part numbers, and they are "idiot proof" so the installer doesn't get them mixed up.

I have installed Autolite double platinums (I don't remember the part number) on that engine, and they were identical to the Motorcraft replacement plug and the engines ran fine. One of them, my son's car, the plugs were still fine when he sold it 80,000 miles later.
Second issue: I notice a *decrease* in gas mileage....it's aweful. I just came back from driving a distance I drive all the time and notice I used almost used a 1/4 tank of gas when I normally ony use about and 1/8.

Do NOT estimate fuel mileage by using the gas gauge! Fill the tank and drive normally. When the tank is low again (~250+ miles later) refill to full as before. Divide miles driven by the number of gallons of fuel (~10.2 galllons) you put into said tank the second time to calculate fuel mileage.
© CEG Archives