Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: GilNewball More problems! - 11/22/05 02:33 AM
Okay, I replaced the VSS and the ATF on my 98 SE ATX. The speedometer works fine. The car shift fine.

Before it gets into overdrive.

It simply won't go into overdrive! I flipped the switch several times at several speeds. I topped off at around 70 miles per hour, and the tranny just would not shift into the overdrive gear!

Did any of you have this problem when your VSS went shot, was replaced along with ATF? Did I disconnect something I shouldn't have down there?

I need help! I'm eating my (already awful) gas mileage. I usually take the freeway to school, but I am hesitant on it. I am willing to go to school in it on the street, but I want my car in ship-shape.

We may get it check for codes, but I want to come here first.
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: More problems! - 11/22/05 02:39 AM
I just noticed you moved the post...Does the "o/d off" light turn on/off as it should when you press the green button? That would verify the switch is OK. From a standing start accelerate slowly, o/d On is it 3 upshifts or just 2. Be sure. (Cabernet Red is a dark wine color, nice!)
Posted By: GilNewball Re: More problems! - 11/22/05 02:42 AM
The switch is OK. No flashing of any kind, if it isn't me moving the switch.

The indication also works. It simply won't shift up!

Three upshifts with the OD on. Two with it off.

I do about 3,000 RPM at around 65 MPH. Normally, with OD, I get 2,500 RPM.

___

The Cabernet colour seems a little odd for me. I originally thought is was some form of magenta. I have never seen that colour on a car before.

Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: More problems! - 11/22/05 03:10 AM
O/D on 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 equals 3 upshifts. If that, it's OK!
O/D off 1-2, 2-3 equals 2 upshifts.

Easiest way to tell turn off o/d at steady speed, rpms will rise. Also, the lockup torque converter drops about 300 rpm after you are at a steady speed (o/d) a few minutes.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: More problems! - 11/22/05 03:13 AM
Yup. Exactly that.
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: More problems! - 11/22/05 03:24 AM
Your trans is probably OK, as far as I can tell without a drive in your car. Have you ever checked for dragging brakes, that could kill your fuel mileage, more load on the engine. I just saw your other post, maybe pay the shop a visit. Does it work if you shift manually? 1-2,2-d,d to o/d. Try that.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: More problems! - 11/22/05 03:32 AM
Hmm. Not yet. But will.

But...What does that have to do with the tranny not shifting into OD? Just curious.

__ __ __ __ __ ____ _ _

[[NO SARCASM INTENDED! (after ruffling a few feathers recently, people seem more hesitant towards helping me) I, as before, am asking for help. Not smart-allock answers.]]
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: More problems! - 11/22/05 03:36 AM
I thought you said, earlier, that it was "exactly that".. "that" being a matched response to the description above yours.. (number of shifts.)

If your car IS exhibiting "exactly that", then that indicates you ARE doing the correct amount of shifts.. and that your car IS shifting in to OD.. I think myself, and the others, are all under that same assumption, going off of your responses (thus far).

??

If I am offbase, please enlighten us as to what your car IS doing, and how many shifts it IS making.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: More problems! - 11/22/05 03:46 AM
"exactly that" regarding what we meant by "shifts"

It's not going into overdrive.

I'm getting confused too.

It shifts 1-2, then 2-3, and it will stay at 3. It probably will even if I redline it. It'll downshift gently. No jolting.

HOWEVER, there is also an issue that came about that I didn't really notice until my dad pointed it out.

The car, when put into reverse from Park, will give a little jolt. It's more sound than anything else. Like a small slam. At times it won't happen, but most of the time, it will. Does that mean anything?

And, when shifting from 1-2, the car will jolt a little forward. 2-3 won't do that.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: More problems! - 11/22/05 04:30 AM
If you changed your Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS), now change your Turbine Shaft Speed Sensor (TSS) or vice versa.
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: More problems! - 11/22/05 04:41 AM
So really the o/d button does nothing. Clear now.. Brake drag could raise your rpm and waste gas, I think o/d would still work, however. TSS is easy to change if you don't have a rusted transmission casting (mine had to be drilled out NY salt!) A Florida car should be OK, but use b'laster penetrating oil on it anyways. That new sensor will smooth shifting a bit. I believe the o/d will still not work, a solenoid could be stuck "off" inside the transmission, definately get codes scanned. Let us know how it goes.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: More problems! - 11/22/05 04:48 AM
Turbine Shaft Speed sensor???

What is that. I've never even heard of it before.

But, turbine...(no, I know not JET)...maybe something with the torque converter?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: More problems! - 11/22/05 04:58 AM
Originally posted by gilroynewball:
Turbine Shaft Speed sensor???

What is that. I've never even heard of it before.

But, turbine...(no, I know not JET)...maybe something with the torque converter?

Gilroy, Gilroy, don't you read what was posted for you previously? (Nov. 9, 2005 at 4:30 PM)

Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by gilroynewball:
I own a 98 Contour SE, Duratec 2.5 V6, auto tranny....When I drive over 65 for a "prolonged" period of time, the transmission will jolt the entire car when accelerating, shifting to another gear. What can I do to fix it? ..

If you haven't changed the ATF in 2 years or 24k miles, you may want to try changing the ATF 3X and see if it helps.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tranny&Number=992476&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

And sometimes transmission mounts could be broken. In addition, are is the Check Engine Light on? Or is the OD light flashing? You might have a bad TSS too.

TSS threads
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1071485&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=2&vc=1

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1030582&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: More problems! - 11/22/05 04:59 AM
The torque converter has a fluid turbine in it, and the sensor tells how many RPM's it is going so the computer can control the trans. This edmunds.com article explains trans operation. I learned something! Also, read above threads for background on the tss, etc.

trans operation
Posted By: GilNewball Re: More problems! - 11/22/05 08:24 PM
Thanks.

Now, we're troubleshooting the thing. My dad thought we had left something disconnected down there, but everything is good.

We're not sure if it is the TSS. It may be, but how much will it cost to go down there?

The tranny was rebuilt not too long ago (unfortunately). This was about 8,000 miles ago.

I dunno, but I may just take the thing to AAMCO for them to fix it.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: More problems! - 11/22/05 08:52 PM
If you take it to Aamco, you'll end up with more problems than you have now!

AVOID THAT PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE.. they are like Maaco for paint jobs.

Ray
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: More problems! - 11/22/05 09:50 PM
Turn the steering wheel to the left, you will see the TSS, it has a latched plug. When unlatching the plug, it is easy to break the latch. 1S7Z-7M101-KA (Turbine Speed Sensor) or
XS7P-7M101-KT (one of those numbers is the latest, not sure which), cost about 30 bucks at Ford dealer, maybe less at www.teamfordparts.com.Take it back to whoever installed the trans, so you won't pay for another.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: More problems! - 11/23/05 12:46 AM
I'll look for it.

I drove the car on the freeway today, after avoiding it all day.

I want to avoid going back to that tranny shop. They had my tranny in shambles before we went there and raised hell for them to fix it.

Now, when you say "break the latch", easy to damage?

Near $30? Okay.

Replacing it (IF I have to) would be just as easy as one would replace the VSS?
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: More problems! - 11/23/05 03:18 AM
Yes, remove wheel, unplug sensor, remove retaining clamp screw, apply blaster, carefully wiggle/pry it out, if it's not corroded in. The end of the sensor is about 2 inches in. If it's rusted in, leave it alone. If it looks new, it's probably ok. The thing that breaks is the catch to retain the plug, that's part of the harness plug. I tried to find a picture, no luck.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: More problems! - 11/23/05 03:31 AM
I replace my TSS without removing the driver side wheel. Just turned it full left, reached in & did the deed. Took all of 10 minutes - including getting out the tools...

I'm nearby ('bout 500' north of the border), give me a shout if you need a hand.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: More problems! - 11/23/05 03:37 AM
Thanks, guys.

I'll locate it tomorrow, and order the piece. Thursday I'll be off from school, so I'll dedicate it to working on that.

Should I check it for anything else, however?
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: More problems! - 11/23/05 03:45 AM
If you don't have the throttle hang fix installed yet, you might consider that. I can give you mine so you can test it in your car for a few days. BUT I'LL WANT IT BACK !!

Posted By: Apu Nahasapeemapetil Re: More problems! - 11/23/05 04:02 AM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
I replace my TSS without removing the driver side wheel. Just turned it full left, reached in & did the deed. Took all of 10 minutes - including getting out the tools...

I'm nearby ('bout 500' north of the border), give me a shout if you need a hand.

That thing gave me hell. Took almost 12 hours to replace because it broke. Thanks to btrautman (sp?) for his fix did it finally come out.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: More problems! - 11/23/05 04:24 AM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
If you don't have the throttle hang fix installed yet, you might consider that. I can give you mine so you can test it in your car for a few days. BUT I'LL WANT IT BACK !!

I haven't tried the throttle hang fix yet. But I will also add it to my to-do list.

Should I do the throttle hang fix before the TSS?
Posted By: GilNewball Re: More problems! - 11/23/05 01:45 PM
NEVER MIND

I looked into the wheel well a few minutes ago and discovered that the TSS was disconnected. I found the connector just hanging there. I connected it, and did a little road test. The hard shifting is gone, and it will go into overdrive!!!!

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it.
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: More problems! - 11/23/05 05:10 PM
Congratulations!! Stuff works better when it's connected! Happy Thanksgiving. Apparently, that problem won't light the Check Engine light.
Posted By: sysanalyst Re: More problems! - 11/23/05 07:28 PM
Sort of sad that when you disconnect a critical sensor, the CEL/MIL won't go on. Yet other times, you get pesky codes when the vehicle is running just fine. Ford misses the quality boat again. Just and FYI; the EPA compiled a report of the most common DTC's reported....

Any guesses as to the most popular DTC's???

Here are the top 10...
Rank____DTC____________________________________________%
1_______P0420 --Low Catalyst Efficiency______________10.7%
2_______P0171 --System Too Lean______________________10.1%
3_______P0401 --EGR Flow Insufficient_________________7.0%
4_______P0174 --System Too Rich_______________________6.0%
5_______P0300 --Random Misfire________________________4.6%
6_______P0141 --02 Sensor Heater Circuit______________4.5%
________________Malfunction
7_______P1443 --Ford Evaporative Control______________4.2%
________________Valve Failure
8_______P0135 --02 Sensor Heater Circuit______________4.0%
________________Malfunction
9_______P0133 --02 Sensor Circuit Slow Response_______3.9%
10______P0455 --Evaporative Emission__________________3.4%
________________Control System Leak Detected
________________(gross leak)
_______________________________________Total Top 10__58.5%

Not a single transmission code in the bunch!

© CEG Archives