Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
The dept of transportation is investigating contour dasboard delaminations

file a complaint at this site (you don't have to enter your vin number)
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

and call
Bob Esser
1-800-262-8309 x265

Submitted complaint!
Welcome. I can't file a complaint as my dashboard hasn't warped yet.
Originally posted by phd2be:
Submitted complaint!

BTW, one heck of a good first post, newbie. Congrats, and welcome to CEG!!

PS. Who's Bob Esser? I'm at work now and can't call...yet.
Nice first post. Just can't get over your spelling of Contour, in your own board name!

Mark
I know this may be a little off subject but has anyone ever seen a pre-98 Dashboard curl. My 96 doesnt have any problems. Just wondering if it is something I should worry about.
Originally posted by zetec herman:
I know this may be a little off subject but has anyone ever seen a pre-98 Dashboard curl. My 96 doesnt have any problems. Just wondering if it is something I should worry about.

Not typically as your car has the large plastic vent panel at the base of the windsheild which also integrates the defroster vents. The problem is particular to the '99 and '00 model years especially, which have the comparatively microscopic defroster vent panel.

I entered both of my cars for the dash warp. I indicated in the description that the defroster / defogger vent pops out & visibility becomes poor under humid or rainy conditions.

Hopefully, that will get some minimal attention.
I had mine done under recall. My original dealer did a hack job with just the rivit kit and some plate, made it worse than before.
I then took it to a buddy who worked at another dealer, and got me a new dash.
no issues as of yet, been 2 years.
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Nice first post. Just can't get over your spelling of Contour, in your own board name!

Mark

Good eye, Mark. I was so impressed by the subject of a first post, that I totally missed the misspell.
The DOT should investigate the existence of the Contour itself!

I still want to find the person who designed the systems on that car and punch him.
which systems?

Now... I'd like to find the designers of the Dodge Intrepid (or any LH car) and punch them in the eye. I have a long list of "WTF were you thinking?" items for that car... but not really for the Contour.
Originally posted by morbid:
which systems?

Now... I'd like to find the designers of the Dodge Intrepid (or any LH car) and punch them in the eye. I have a long list of "WTF were you thinking?" items for that car... but not really for the Contour.

Ohh, I know what you're talking about. I would personally like to talk to the dumbass engineer at Chrysler who decided to put the battery in the wheel well. That is such a great location, you know, cause when you battery goes dead, you must remove the passenger's side front wheel to jump it.

As for WTF were you thinking on the Contour. How about the power window switches on 1998+ Contour, they are the most poorly located switches I've seen in a long time? Or how about that stupid armrest in the 1998+ Contour and Mystique? What about the purse holder on the glovebox lid of some Mystiques that makes it look like the glove box handle is broken? Or how about that cubby to the right of the steering wheel that is pratically useless?

As for the dash warp, mine was starting to do it, but I got rid of it in May. Good luck to you all getting the Government to force FORD to fix it for you though.
My list of WTFs!

Power door locks. USE SOLENOIDS instead of motors!

What's with the armrest panel stuck on the driver's seat? What about an actual use of that armrest as a cover for a little bin to carry CDs or other things?

Yes, that little cubby thing that can barely fit a ping-pong ball.

Change the type of plastic for those headlights.

Put the splash shield on the right side of the car to protect the alternator. It'll prevent the alternator from turning off when riding over a puddle.

Change the friggin tranny! My thing jolts when I drive too fast too long.

Soundproofing must have been bypassed when they build the Contour. I am almost in need of using an aviation headset to listen to music!

What's with the wiper/turn signal knobs? They're so friggin short!

The cupholders are too shallow. I have the stain from a large cup of Mountain Dew on my carpet to prove it!

Whoever designed the aesthetics of the car must have been drunk. I find nothing "pretty" about the car.

Find a way to extend range. Of my family's fleet of cars, my Contour has the least amount of range.

When any door is open too long (11 seconds) the horn will honk 3 times.

The manual says that one of the fuseboxes is near where the passenger sits. Do I need to take the car apart to find it?

Instead of stuffing electronics into the car to let it run, just do this:

Simplify your systems!

In aircraft (I'm more familiar with aircraft systems than automotive systems), simplicity is the key. Backup systems are in order for EVERYTHING. If something goes wrong, you have another system to back it up. That's why we use magnetoes, two of them. For multiple fuel-tank aircraft (and in multiengine aircraft) the use of fuel selector valves is in order. Fuel cutoff is mandatory, and possible fuel cross-feed is also put in for good measure. We pilots are safety oriented, and the Contour comes against all mannerisms of safety.

You may think, "Well, why won't he get rid of it?". It wasn't choice that brought me to the contour. I had already heard bad things about the car long before I even owned it, and I never even wanted one in the first place. Sure, the one I have only had 38,000 miles when I bought it. But, it felt as if it had 138,000 miles!

That, I feel, came from the factory.

Then, comes the things the previous owner put in:

The audio system. An Aiwa MDC-835 CD Changer, with a corded remore control, attached to a thick, short wire, below the dash.

I removed the annoying kill switch.

There's a reason why the Contour had such a short production life.
Oh, and I failed to mention the throttle hang!

Sure, there's a fix for it. But a good car should NOT be a shop queen!
Jeez, another one!

Fix the electrical sys! My lights flicker when they're on. On really bad days, RPM hovers over 700, and runs rough, and even quits. That's happened to me at a pharmacy. I had to buy jumper cables (it was my lucky day, you see.. Just another one of those Ford Contour days) and wait for a good samaritan (ironically, in a Chevy) to help me out with a jump. Yup! The reliable old Chevy had to jump the brand new Ford Detour.

And what kind of paint do I have? I don't want a magenta car! It wasn't Toreador red. I know what that looks like. I love that colour. But magenta?! Well, it resembles magenta.

I'm tired of that car. Just as bad as the drivers in Florida! (I'm exempting the statement to those who actually obey the traffic laws, use their turn signals, and recognize that the sign saying I-95 is actually NOT the speed limit!)
Ok, if there is THAT much stuff about the Ford Contour you dont like....WHY'D YOU BUY ONE! jeez. quit crying and go buy a Honda.
I already told you! It wasn't choice!

I simply came here to find fixes for the d***ed thing!
My lights do the exact same thing...just for no apparent reason. Some days it does it..some days it dont. Then it wont do it again for months.

Location of the PCV valve coulda been better too

I don't currently have the dash problem...furthermore, I have no idea what it even looks like (the "curling" problem). I've just got other problems currently Here and here.
Otherwise car is good for what I use it for.
You have a Contour that is certainly not indicative of the norm. For example:

Quote:

When any door is open too long (11 seconds) the horn will honk 3 times.

The horn honking when the doors are open is not a behavior I've seen in any Contour or Mystique at any time, and I've been around quite a few. Did a previous owner try to install an aftermarket alarm or keyless entry?

Quote:

Change the friggin tranny! My thing jolts when I drive too fast too long.

Your ATX sounds like it is having problems beyond any normal quirks. You need to have it serviced. I'll admit the CD4E is not a very good ATX, but mine certainly doesn't jolt.

Quote:

The manual says that one of the fuseboxes is near where the passenger sits. Do I need to take the car apart to find it?

The internal fusebox in all three of my 98+ Contours is on the driver's side under the dash. I'll admit its not the most convenient location, but I can reach it with little effort. I found it on my own; I have to admit I've never really read my owner's manual.

Quote:

Find a way to extend range. Of my family's fleet of cars, my Contour has the least amount of range.

I consistently get 27-29mpg on my Sport with 90000+ miles and my aggressive driving habits. This is in line with the original sticker, so other than installing a bigger gas tank I don't see the problem?

Quote:

Whoever designed the aesthetics of the car must have been drunk. I find nothing "pretty" about the car.

Quote:

You may think, "Well, why won't he get rid of it?". It wasn't choice that brought me to the contour. I had already heard bad things about the car long before I even owned it, and I never even wanted one in the first place. Sure, the one I have only had 38,000 miles when I bought it. But, it felt as if it had 138,000 miles!

I'm very sorry to hear that, as I completely enjoy driving my Contours. In case you hadn't noticed, this is the Contour Enthusiasts Group. Not only will you find very little sympathy here, you will not be welcomed for very long with such a negative attitude. If you truly disdain your Contour that much I would suggest looking elsewhere for help.
So did somebody hold a gun to your head and make you buy a contour. On a side note I kinda miss the little armrest when I'm drivin my SVT it was nice to have on long trips in the GL.
LMAO.

Car's been out of production for 5 years and now they investigate ?

Did one of the uppers in the DOT buy a used Contour ? Goodness ...
Originally posted by ODC:
LMAO.

Car's been out of production for 5 years and now they investigate ?

Did one of the uppers in the DOT buy a used Contour ? Goodness ...

Hahah so true. By the way I got my fixed with the Recall.

Originally posted by gilroynewball:
I'm tired of that car. ..

Gilroy, I hate to suggest this but you do need to get a different car. The Contour is not doing well for you and you will get P.O.ed more and more everyday. There are many good deals out there nowadays.

On a side note, change the IAC valve and you should be fine with 700 rpm stalling issue. .
I'm glad the aircraft has redundant controls. It better for the price you pay for one. Comparing a car to a plane is completely ridiculous. I don't even feel like explaining how absurd it is to wish for redundant controls in a machine that has such a low price to begin with.

And actually, there are redundnat controls. Go look at your master cylinder. Two barrels. Why? So if one line leaks, you only lose two wheel braking. What if the whole cylinder leaks? You can still use the e-brake (Another redundant braking device) and the transmission to slow you down. I got all of that for $6K. And I don't have to worry about communicating to a tower everytime I want to go anywhere.
I was just SUPERPISSED about the car. I didn't have a say in getting it. But I am fixing some of the problems. The stuff I can't fix will be done in the shop.

I'm just a ranting pilot, is all. I'm known as "weird" and a whole bunch of other things that I would prefer to forget. But I say to hell with them. It's their problem, not mine.

New problems emerged, but it's OK. Nothing I can't fix. If anything else goes, however, the car will go too. Now we're all getting tired of the car. I am seriously contemplating selling it.

I'm just a ranting pilot, is all.

OMGWTFBBQ!!!!111!!!

ya don't say?
gilroy,

All cars are evil.
Originally posted by Rager:

All cars are evil.

Well, can't I agree?

But seriously, I only see my car as a means of transit. I prefer flying over driving, is all.

Just check out http://www.beapilot.com and get a coupon for your first flight lesson at one of their listed schools. You'll see what I mean.

Seriously.

All cars are evil.

Well, can't I agree?

But seriously, I only see my car as a means of transit. I prefer flying over driving, is all.

Just check out http://www.beapilot.com and get a coupon for your first flight lesson at one of their listed schools. You'll see what I mean.

Seriously.

right!!!!!!! i'm sure flying is great..in fact it prob. rivals a orgasm for the best fealing award ..but this IS a car forum..we like to drive here,talk about cars,and be rude to each other,we really dont want to hear references to being a pilot,and how ugly the contour is
Yup! You're right about flying. It's the best fun you can have with your clothes on!

Hey, we all have tastes. I had no say in getting the Tour. But, what do you do when you get a lemon?
Yup! You're right about flying. It's the best fun you can have with your clothes on!

Hey, we all have tastes. I had no say in getting the Tour. But, what do you do when you get a lemon?

..being a ex carsalesman..i would sell it to someone else.
Gilroy... sell the damn car... and leave the forum. Do everyone a favor. Instead of constantly bitching about your car.

All cars are evil.

Well, can't I agree?

Seriously.

Thanks.
Jeez. I hate all flash sites.

I'd like to do a glider, for sure, at least once. There's some glider rentals not too far away.
Originally posted by Matt R:
Gilroy... sell the damn car... and leave the forum. Do everyone a favor. Instead of constantly bitching about your car.

Amen.
I had no say in getting the Tour. But, what do you do when you get a lemon?

What grown adult has "no say" in what car he buys? Next time, tell mommy and daddy to buy you a SAAB, then you can pretend you're flying a fighter jet!
All cars are evil? Cars are evil wen THERE NOT TAKEN CARE OF. The contours are a great example. This is my saying: If you take care of the tour, the tour will take care of you, but if you don't take care of the tour, the tour will not take care of you. My car is the case. 96K, bought with 92K. Spent 1600. needs nothing. Air filter looked like new. Oil was clean. All fluids topped off. Haven't put a droop of anything into it READ MY LIPS! NOTHING!!!! I took it to my mechanic for its inspection Mechanic: WTF, this car actually doesn't need anything. Somebody took care of it.
BTW, I'm not suggesting that people on this site don't take care of their cars because they do. I'm just suggesting others (mabye previous owners, non ceg'ers) did not take care of the car. All cars do have flaws however. The dash warp is no ones fault, but fords.
All cars are evil? Cars are evil wen THERE NOT TAKEN CARE OF. The contours are a great example. This is my saying: If you take care of the tour, the tour will take care of you, but if you don't take care of the tour, the tour will not take care of you. My car is the case. 96K, bought with 92K. Spent 1600. needs nothing. Air filter looked like new. Oil was clean. All fluids topped off. Haven't put a droop of anything into it READ MY LIPS! NOTHING!!!! I took it to my mechanic for its inspection Mechanic: WTF, this car actually doesn't need anything. Somebody took care of it.

I totally agree. Just treat the car with respect and it should treat you well!

You willing to buy it?

Gilroy, I've been a private pilot since 1968, my brother is a Captain for a major airline, and my Dad flew fighters in the war. Dad and I co-owned a plane up until a couple of years ago. My first engineering job out of college was with the premier maker of private aircraft. So its safe to say my family is familiar with aviation.

I would take travel by car anyday over flying. When I worked at the aircraft factory and saw how private aircraft is built, it really soured me on flying.

When you're flying, and the engine quits, you're in massive trouble. Same thing about encountering a storm. Planes are massively noisey....forget about listing to any music while flying one. You can't work on your own plane under most circumstances. Maintenance is ungodly high cost. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Unless you're a Saudi prince, the car is a better transportation device.
So much for a post about dash warp. Pilotboy needs to stop his drivel. NO ONE CARES!

This post started 6 weeks ago.
i want a free pre-98 dash for my SVT!

Thatd be cool if we got to get new dash's mine is warped a little bit and its squeaks and annoys the hell out of me whenenver i go around a corner(the thing squeaks cause of the stress)

You willing to buy it?

I might. What's your price?
Just to make gilroy's posts consistent, I took the liberty of editing the two posts in this thread where he didn't mention aviation...

I still want to find the person who designed the systems on that car and punch him while flying my aircraft!!!

Sure, there's a fix for it. But a good car should NOT be a shop queen, unlike my airplane which never needs maintenance, especially from a whole team of various aircraft systems mechanics!

LOL!!!! Chris, you crack me up man!

Mark
But, what do you do when you get a lemon?

An optimist would make lemonade!!!
Originally posted by PlatoSVT:
Just to make gilroy's posts consistent, I took the liberty of editing the two posts in this thread where he didn't mention aviation...

I still want to find the person who designed the systems on that car and punch him while flying my aircraft!!!

Sure, there's a fix for it. But a good car should NOT be a shop queen, unlike my airplane which never needs maintenance, especially from a whole team of various aircraft systems mechanics!

hahahah
Originally posted by 88SVT:
But, what do you do when you get a lemon?

An optimist would make lemonade!!!

Which is what I'm trying to do.

It's a dead issue. I'm looking around for what to do on the car.

In the time of the last post and the bump, I had done a few fixes on the car. There's still a few things to do. (alternator/spash shield, and a few aesthetic things left to do on it).

BTW, I just got into college.

SO I love flying to death. SO flying is my life. SO I'm not into cars like you guys. Jesus Christ, you guys jump on people quick!

It's a dead issue.

I
SO I love flying to death. SO flying is my life. SO I'm not into cars like you guys. Jesus Christ, you guys jump on people quick!

It's a dead issue.

I

SO you're saying that if I went into a pilot's forum, and ranted on about how airplanes suck and how Cars are so much better, they wouldn't jump on me? Give me a break. You just got into college, and appear to have been given the car, or you most certainly would have had a choice in what you drive. I remember when I got a free car, back in...... oh wait, no I don't. Get over it, and your wannabe pilot self.

Mark
Then why bother in replying?

I know of many people who feel the same way as you do. I usually let it roll of my back. It's their problem. It's their lack of knowledge that I ignore.

I know I may have come off the same way. So because I am NOT a car guy, you will jump on me? Because I do a reference to another industry, you will jump on me? I know of MANY OTHER PEOPLE who have done that and had their points well taken by others. I just don't know why you have such animosity to those who fly.

Lack of control I guess... Interpret that any way you want, because it has more meanings than one.

I do not want to start another flame war. Hate me so much? Then don't reply to the stuff I post.

Again, DEAD ISSUE.

Again, DEAD ISSUE.

Not to you since freakin post about it almost everyday and thats all you post about.
Originally posted by todras:

Again, DEAD ISSUE.

*Again, edited for accuracy.

Originally posted by todras:

Again, DEAD ISSUE. Much like what will become of you if I ever make it to commercial aviation...

Spit the hook.
Spit the hook.

Here we go again...

Ok, I take care of my ride, but it still has problems. 50000 miles of abuse previous to ownership doesent help.
Amen!!!!
© CEG Archives