Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
hello membership ; i have read a variety of posts and have learned that EGR/IAC/DFPE/O2/IMRC? are common items of mechanical interest .
from what i have surveyed , my problem may be related to spark plugs or wires ( or at the extreme , bad cat ) .
ONLY IN 1ST GEAR DURING FULL THROTTLE , MOTOR CUTS OUT IN HIGHER RPM RANGE ! as if it cannot maintain the power during the rapid increase in engine speed .
the mileage is low ; approx 50,000 american miles !
would the plug wires really be causing this , i guess i hope so as this may be the cheapest fix ?
thanks for any comments and the confirmation of my solution !
With that relatively low mileage, you may want to check the gap on the plugs before spending money on replacing them or the wires. The gap spec is .052-.056, IIRC. Regap any that are out of spec and try testing again.
I think it is more likely to be plugs rather than wires. That is a classic symptom of worn or fouled plugs. Plug wire problems usually show up at lower loads.
Describe in detail what you means CUTS OUT. Is this fully, partially, just missing? Any Codes? What RPM?
It could be a fuel delivery problem but more info is required.
With that amount of mileage could definetly be the beginning of the fuel pump problem. Try to identify if it is a continual problem or just when you have about a half tank of gas or less. Mine started a WOT and got worse as I had less gas.
Originally posted by NavSVT:
With that amount of mileage could definetly be the beginning of the fuel pump problem. Try to identify if it is a continual problem or just when you have about a half tank of gas or less. Mine started a WOT and got worse as I had less gas.

On re reading the original post, I agree. Somehow I was reading it as though you had a miss under load. It does sound more like fuel starvation. If it is new enough to have the returnless system, you need to search a bit and find out about the filter screen in the fuel pump module in the tank that plugs up too easily.
thanks for your comments !

regarding the state of cut-out : power is completely missing for a second or two until it cuts back in and revs up to redline ! as stated , it is in upper range , power being absent from about 4500 to 5500 ! again , only in 1st gear !

and the most frustrating fact of all is NOT ON EVERY DRIVE ! only certain days ?
i never run the car low on gas so that can be eliminated .

HOW MUCH LABOUR is it for mechanic to inspect fuel filter screen suggested in last post ?
i will also have plug gaps checked at next service visit !
If it were an ignition miss, plugs or wires, it would be a very sharp miss, very hard, for short duration, like a rapid staccato. If it is fuel starvation, it may come on suddenly, but it is still a bit softer and of much longer duration.
© CEG Archives