Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: elraido Working on trucks - 09/29/05 05:13 PM
Does anyone have a good way of working on trucks? What i mean is that reaching into the back of the engine compartment is a very difficult thing to do. It is 79 F-250 with a 460 engine. I know taking the hood off would make things easier to work but it would be a bigger pain to do that and put it back on. I am not short, almost 6' and my dad is over 6' and we both are having problems getting back there. I am currently using a stump to stand on but whenever I want to move over I have to move it with me. How redneck does this sound? Geez. Anywho...any ideas on getting back there and making it easier? Thanks.
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Working on trucks - 09/29/05 05:28 PM
Nice truck. Got a lift or anything on it? My buddy has the same thing. He just sits up by the engine and works on it.
Posted By: elraido Re: Working on trucks - 09/29/05 05:31 PM
No mods yet, well besides running boards. It only has 17K original miles on it (and original tires). I have thought about just sitting up there but I can't really find a good spot to be able to lean over and keep my balance. I was wondering why they didn't just have the engine forward a a few more inches...cause it isn't like there isn't any room.
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Working on trucks - 09/29/05 05:33 PM
You shoudl jsut give me the truck. At least let me see some pics!!!
Posted By: elraido Re: Working on trucks - 09/29/05 05:55 PM
I will try to get some before it snows....should be about a month before that happens.
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Working on trucks - 09/30/05 08:45 PM
Originally posted by elraido:
I will try to get some before it snows....should be about a month before that happens.

I know what ya mean. Far North in da UP of Michigan.
Posted By: OB1 Re: Working on trucks - 09/30/05 09:01 PM
My 74 has hard metal inner fenders, I just take a 2 X 4 & put it across from the motor to the fenderwell & sit on that. I do that same for my 86 but it has plastic inner fenders so I just put it on the fender & be very careful!
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Working on trucks - 09/30/05 09:04 PM
One of the beter techs I used to work with usually took the front wheels off and lowered the front of the car as far as he could and still get jack stands under it when he had to work on the rear portion of the engine.
Posted By: amcford Re: Working on trucks - 09/30/05 11:40 PM
Are you sure its not a Chevy or a Dodge (lamb tough) truck??? I never have to work on my 79 Ford with 197,000 miles & counting!!! Ok, on the very rare occasion when I do have to go under the hood I climb right in there. Its not too comfortable, but I am never in there too long. Scott
Posted By: elraido Re: Working on trucks - 10/03/05 04:49 PM
The problem, from what I can tell, is that there is an exhaust leak towards the back of the engine. When I start the truck up and let it run, the thing runs great. But after I turn it off for a little bit and then start it up again the thing runs horribly and wants to die. EGR works fine cause I can see it working, cleaned out the carb and what not so those shouldn't be the prob. The engine had a spun bearing about a year ago that was fixed, and it looks like they used a copper gasket sealent towards the back of the engine....and I am thinking that is leaking. Any ideas?
Posted By: jtsmith Re: Working on trucks - 10/03/05 11:20 PM
take the wheels and inner fenders out and reach through wheel opening. It might sound stupid, but I left mine out of my mountaineer, I can have a header off in five minutes now.
© CEG Archives