Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Bob Smiley Dash Warping - 09/09/05 12:15 AM
Hey I've checked the site and whether i am doing the search wrong or what I cannot find out some information on the Dash Warping. I'm looking at a 2000 SVT and the dash has warped up and am wondering what the recall information was on it, and what kind of cost am I looking at to get it fixed.
Posted By: Driver Re: Dash Warping - 09/09/05 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Bob Smiley:
Hey I've checked the site and whether i am doing the search wrong or what I cannot find out some information on the Dash Warping. I'm looking at a 2000 SVT and the dash has warped up and am wondering what the recall information was on it, and what kind of cost am I looking at to get it fixed.

You are way too late for the recall, it ended years ago. There is a dash fix kit for around $100 which you can put in yourself. The dealer will want about $400 to do the work. If your dash is warping badly, then the kit will not help you. There is also no guarantee that the kit will prevent any future warping. Even if you replace the dash with the "improved dash for 99 and 00" which I have (done under warrantee of course), there still is no guarantee that it will work. Mine is holding up better but it is developing some small warping. I live in Texas and the car is in the sun a lot, so the new dash is holding up better than the old one.

If you want to fix it for sure then put in a 98 or older dash. I have never heard a problem with them. The problem is, to make it worth it, you will have to do the work yourself since there really is not much value left in these cars. I would just live with problem.
Posted By: Bob Smiley Re: Dash Warping - 09/09/05 12:51 AM
How much do the new dash's run like the one that you purchased? And it's lifted in the front about 2-3 inches up, so I assume that that is bad and I would need a new dash?
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/09/05 02:23 AM
A search for 'dash' AND 'warp' in the troubleshooting, general mods, and aesthetics forums turned up well over 400 responses.
Posted By: skunk_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/09/05 02:15 PM
ford lists the dash for $515 for a replacement. this of course requires you to remove the entire dash and components(which you would have to do anyways to fix the one in the car). I would try bill jenkins for help/advice. either way you look at it repair or replace means you have to take out the entire dash. If you you are not handy at this don't do it, you can break alot of trim parts and you need a radio removal tool(cheap to get). almost forgot you need to remove the center console also. hope I didn't forget anything else.

I'm not trying to scare ya just giving you the facts.

good luck!

Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/09/05 03:14 PM
Originally posted by skunk:
hope I didn't forget anything else.

A *lot* as a matter of fact.
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: Dash Warping - 09/09/05 03:22 PM
I put the kit on last night & didn't remove anything...

Of course, the windshield is out of it tho...
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/09/05 03:56 PM
Originally posted by skunk:
ford lists the dash for $515 for a replacement. this of course requires you to remove the entire dash and components(which you would have to do anyways to fix the one in the car). I would try bill jenkins for help/advice. either way you look at it repair or replace means you have to take out the entire dash. If you you are not handy at this don't do it, you can break alot of trim parts and you need a radio removal tool(cheap to get). almost forgot you need to remove the center console also. hope I didn't forget anything else.

I'm not trying to scare ya just giving you the facts.

good luck!

I thought the dash was a lot more than that. I know for mignight blue it is. For a radio removal tool most ppl just get a metal coat hanger and cut the ends off so you're left with 2 U's. Insert in the holes and press out. Everything else is straight forward. Just a lot of nuts & bolts and removing the wiring harness connections on the inside of the dash. It can be done in an afternoon. Otherwise get the dash warp fix. Best way is to have someone remove the front glass for better access. Maybe you have a chip that needs to be taken care of through insurance.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Dash Warping - 09/09/05 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Driver:
If you want to fix it for sure then put in a 98 or older dash. I have never heard a problem with them. The problem is, to make it worth it, you will have to do the work yourself since there really is not much value left in these cars. I would just live with problem.

The 98 dash warps too... just in a different spot. Mine is warped right above the guages (facing the driver). So you're trading one problem for another.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/09/05 10:22 PM
Never heard of "another spot" warping on 98's.. they either (RARELY) warped in the same spot, or (MORE than likely) didn't warp at all..

Ray
Posted By: GetBooby151�© Re: Dash Warping - 09/09/05 10:30 PM
i dunno why Ford didn't just keep the same design as the 98 dashes for the 99-00 dashes...wouldn't it of made sense??
Posted By: TheFordGuy Re: Dash Warping - 09/09/05 11:03 PM
Just glue that sucker down! It really is not worth replacing... Mine was warped about six inches at its highest point in the center. I used polyurethane sealant, c-clamps, and some small sticks to keep it even... Let it set for a few days, and VOILA!!!

Greg
Posted By: epattonm Re: Dash Warping - 09/11/05 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Ray:
Never heard of "another spot" warping on 98's.. they either (RARELY) warped in the same spot, or (MORE than likely) didn't warp at all..

Ray

I've seen three different 98s with a warped dash. It happens right above the gauge assembly. It's hard to tell, since the gauge assembly holds it in place. It sort of lifts up, and the only way to tell if you don't know what you're looking at, is to push down on the "leather".

As I'm remembering doing the fix on my car, the dash-warp kit came with extra rivets to secure the spot I'm referring to as well as some spots around the glove compartment. It was in the instructions.

~Eric
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Dash Warping - 09/12/05 05:32 AM

Ray

I beg to differ.

My dash:

Posted By: louisw_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/12/05 06:28 AM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

I beg to differ.

Yeah, my 98 warped too. Instead of pulling back from the glass edge, it pulls from the cluster edge. I fixed it with screws (instead of the rivets prescribed by ford). you might find my post on it helpful.

after:
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/12/05 06:55 AM
I'm glad you guys "differ", because I didn't know.

I just hadn't heard of it.

Thanks for the pics.. those will certainly come in handy when other people ask.

Ray
Posted By: rouar Re: Dash Warping - 09/12/05 04:55 PM
Originally posted by louisw:
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

I beg to differ.

Yeah, my 98 warped too. Instead of pulling back from the glass edge, it pulls from the cluster edge. I fixed it with screws (instead of the rivets prescribed by ford). you might find my post on it helpful.

Wow, thanks! Next mod: fixing the dash.

I had always thought the '98's never warped too until I saw CSVT1214's pictures on his. It was then I realized my dash is sitting up much higher than it used to in that particular location especially in comparison to pre98's (although I have no holes yet). It is also warped down by the steering column.
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/12/05 05:06 PM
Wow, good info...i too was unaware of any warping on the 98 dashes....luckily mine hasn't had any problems.....YET! .

Although it looks relatively easy to fix due to the location.
Posted By: Big_B Re: Dash Warping - 09/12/05 05:33 PM
I have a 2000 that is warped in both locations. It is much worse at the windshield, but the there is also warping above the gauge cluster.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/12/05 05:49 PM
and to think people at SZ though us New Englanders were weird for using sun shades to keep heat and sun away from the dash...
Posted By: JB1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/13/05 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Big_B:
I have a 2000 that is warped in both locations. It is much worse at the windshield, but the there is also warping above the gauge cluster.

mine came with the dash fix for the windshield area but it too has a slight warping at that exact same spot around the gauge cluster.
Posted By: dbateman Re: Dash Warping - 09/13/05 02:11 AM
Originally posted by brapple:
and to think people at SZ though us New Englanders were weird for using sun shades to keep heat and sun away from the dash...

I park mine under trees or some sort of shade at work and home. If I have to park in the sun for a long time I use a sun shade.

Sunlight causes a lot of fading and wear on just about everything.

Posted By: Achilles83 Re: Dash Warping - 09/13/05 04:23 PM
Does anyone have a link to where you can buy the dash warp repair kit, my dash warp is starting to really piss me off
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: Dash Warping - 09/14/05 02:36 PM
Call your Ford dealer...
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Dash Warping - 09/14/05 09:26 PM
mine was one of the first ever built, no warping for me..
Posted By: TjZ Re: Dash Warping - 09/14/05 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

That is because the workers got lazy on #10

But anyways good luck with the kit is about 60 dollars if I remeber correctly. My dad just had his dash replaced under that recall that is gone and now him and my mom have no problems....
Posted By: plance1_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/15/05 01:32 AM
I missed the deadline for the recall and found out that ford wants money to fix a problem they created. Sucks. Quality is not job one. My dash is warped, I'm talkin crazy warped....
Posted By: Marky_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/15/05 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

The dash on the '98 is different than the '99 and '00.
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/15/05 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Marky:

The dash on the '98 is different than the '99 and '00.

Thanks for the newsflash, bud.
Posted By: Marky_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/15/05 05:03 AM
No problem. Btw looked at the pics of your car, theres an old woman down the street with car just like yours .... except it's not a SLUSHBOX.
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/15/05 05:24 AM
LOL! Granny car jokes....you're really breaking new ground there. Dipsh!t.
Posted By: Marky_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/15/05 05:34 AM
You are right, that was harsh. Just forget about the SLUSHBOX remark. Forget about it every time you drive your car.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/15/05 06:54 AM
I sincerely hope that you two know each other well enough that this is just playing.. innocently.

BTW: Marky, can you avoid side-stepping the language filter again? I'd hate for that to bite you in the butt.

Ray
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: Dash Warping - 09/15/05 01:27 PM
BTW: Marky, can you avoid side-stepping the language filter again? I'd hate for that to bite you in the butt.

Ray

*Psssst, Ray* it wasn't Marky, but I agree w/ amarv...
Posted By: MxRacer Re: Dash Warping - 09/15/05 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Marky:
No problem. Btw looked at the pics of your car, theres an old woman down the street with car just like yours .... except it's not a SLUSHBOX.

are you being that big of a dick on purpose, or does it come naturally?
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/15/05 05:19 PM
A apologize.. Marky I didn't mean you I meant Amarv... But the warning still stands for him, as well.

this thread is getting a little rediculous. You guys can bring it back on track, talking about DASH WARPING, or its run its course.

Ray
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Dash Warping - 09/15/05 07:40 PM
A apologize.. Marky I didn't mean you I meant Amarv... But the warning still stands for him, as well.

this thread is getting a little rediculous. You guys can bring it back on track, talking about DASH WARPING, or its run its course.

Ray

Lock it up! Lock it up! Buddy now I shut you down.

(to the tune of the Beach Boys)

I agree, it's time to end this thread.
Posted By: hotdimmes Re: Dash Warping - 09/18/05 08:04 PM
Just to add, my 98.5 also has the dash warping right above the instrument cluster. It's pretty high, but doesn't really bother me as it's even and looks stock

looks like this:

except doesn't look nasty like in that little red box, Just sits high, which in comparison to other dash pictures in this thread, it isn't normal right?
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Dash Warping - 09/18/05 08:30 PM
Originally posted by hotdimmes:
Just to add, my 98.5 also has the dash warping right above the instrument cluster. It's pretty high, but doesn't really bother me as it's even and looks stock

looks like this:

except doesn't look nasty like in that little red box, Just sits high, which in comparison to other dash pictures in this thread, it isn't normal right?

The 98.5 model also had the same dash as 98, so it makes sense that you have the warp also.
© CEG Archives