Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: LilLowEK Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 02:48 PM
Hi, I was browsing for answers to this problem and came accross someone saying "ray" had a how to to replace an alternator.

I did not find the how to, not even under the how to section. Can someone post the link?

Also, I havn't looked at the ex's car yet...but she said the battery light came on but she turned her blower off along w/ the sterio and it went off.

Would this indicate a bad or going bad alternator?

If the belt was busted, would the battery light be on all the time??

Thanks alot guys, appreciate it.

Jeremy

Btw, it's a 97 Ford Contour GL 2.0 DOHC
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 02:52 PM
Originally posted by LilLowEK:
Hi, I was browsing for answers to this problem and came accross someone saying "ray" had a how to to replace an alternator.

I did not find the how to, not even under the how to section. Can someone post the link?

Also, I havn't looked at the ex's car yet...but she said the battery light came on but she turned her blower off along w/ the sterio and it went off.

Would this indicate a bad or going bad alternator?

If the belt was busted, would the battery light be on all the time??

Thanks alot guys, appreciate it.

Jeremy

Btw, it's a 97 Ford Contour GL 2.0 DOHC

Ray's how to is for a Duratec V6.

Yes, it could be a bad or alternator going bad.

Yes, to the belt busted question (and charge light being on all the time could also be megafuse problem).

Edit. Ray's how to in Duratec Maintenance FAQ

I think the I-4 Zetec alternator removal is "easier". I remember reading a post a few days ago. Someone was changing the regulator.
Posted By: LilLowEK Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 02:58 PM
Thanks Tony, I guess I'll have to turn to the Haynes manual, unless I just tell her to take it to a garage.

I'll take a look at it, and see what'sg oing on.

You did say if the belt was busted that the battery light would be on all the time right?

She said it only came on when her sterio and blower was on, then it went off.

Hmmm...
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 03:03 PM
She said it only came on when ... and blower was on, then it went off.

Hmmm...

Could be just the belt slipping. Check that first.

Test the charge on the battery. Engine off, turn on lights for one minute (should be 12 volts or slightly more).

Test for alternator, car running, voltage should be 14 to 14.5 volts (I think, you should do a search, or just look at Haynes).

Edit. I am pretty sure you remove the alternator from the top after loosening some bolts from the bottom for the Zetec. Someone else who has done it for the Zetec will have to confirm that. (I am out "in the field" now and don't have access to my Haynes or Ford CD).
Posted By: LilLowEK Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 03:08 PM
See, I was thinking perhaps the alternator is bad and when turning off the few things listed took the load off the battery itself.

Or, if the alternator was "bad", would the battery light be on constantly as if the belt broke???

I can check the tension of the belt. I guess I could run it to the auto zone and have them test it as well.

I don't have a volt meter.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 03:10 PM
Or, if the alternator was "bad", would the battery light be on constantly as if the belt broke???

I can check the tension of the belt. I guess I could run it to the auto zone and have them test it as well.

I don't have a volt meter.

Constantly on, megafuse.

Yes, they can do the test with their voltmeter for free.

Edit. I remember Ray helping someone diagnosing the megafuse for the Zetec recently (not sure if it was Zetec perf, Zetec Maint, or troubleshooting forum.) If you don't get a suitable answer by tonight, I will look it up for you.
Posted By: LilLowEK Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 03:14 PM
Hmm, so one more question...

If the battery light isn't constantly on, it's alright to drive it to point A and point B??

I don't want it to be running off the battery only, ya know?

So as I stated, if it's only on at certain times, we can continue to run it to work, autozone, etc???

Thanks alot!!
Posted By: LilLowEK Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 03:21 PM
Sorry, I never heard of this "mega fuse". What is it, and what does it do??

Thanks,

Jeremy
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 03:22 PM
Hmm, so one more question...

If the battery light isn't constantly on, it's alright to drive it to point A and point B??

So as I stated, if it's only on at certain times, we can continue to run it to work, autozone, etc???

Thanks alot!!

Depends on how much charge the battery is getting. I read that for a good battery, without much charge, you can go for maybe 70 miles (or so) non stop without accessories on. It would be less, with on and offs, stop and go. So do minimal driving until the problem is sorted out. Good luck.
Posted By: LilLowEK Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 03:28 PM
OKay thanks, but what is this "mega fuse" you speak of?

Is it a possible culprit to the problem??
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 03:37 PM
OKay thanks, but what is this "mega fuse" you speak of?

Is it a possible culprit to the problem??

If the light is on constantly, yes, it could be the problem.

Ray's how-to has a description of where and how to access it for the Duratec. I'm not sure if the location is the same for the Zetec. Also the voltage for it should be different for Zetec. It should be on the Megafuse (if it is in fact, the problem - sounded like Ray in this last sentence. Scarey!)
Posted By: LilLowEK Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 03:41 PM
Okay, well the light isn't on all the time from what she tells me. W/ no load, I guess it went off.

I'll check some basics. Turn on the lights, see if it comes on, etc.

Take it to Auto zone and get it checked. If they say it's good, I'll check the tension of the belt, etc.

Thanks alot Tony.

Btw, any more information you may have, or anyone, post it up please.

Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 03:44 PM
Okay, well the light isn't on all the time from what she tells me. W/ no load, I guess it went off.

Btw, any more information you may have, or anyone, post it up please.

Sounds like floating brushes on the alternator. For a Zetec, it is possble to remove the regulator (and brushes inside) without removing the alternator from the car. Just loosen a bolt or two. Someone posted it in the last few days.

Edit. Here is the post (if you want to give it a shot and not remove/replace the alternator)

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1017992&Forum=trouble&Words=alternator&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1week&Main=979000&Search=true#Post1017992
Posted By: projectSHO89_dup1 Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 03:44 PM
The "mega-fuse" is a high value (150-175 A) fuse that is located in the cable line that goes from the alternator/generator to the battery.

Not sure where it is physically located on a Zetec, but it is very well hidden on the Duratech.

If the fuse opens, charging current from the alternator cannot reach the battery and will cause a constant BATT light.

Steve
Posted By: LilLowEK Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 03:46 PM
I did read something Ray was saying about floating brushes.

So, the regulator? What part is that? You can replace it w/ out removeing the alternator? Hmm

Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 03:49 PM
I did read something Ray was saying about floating brushes.

So, the regulator? What part is that? You can replace it w/ out removeing the alternator? Hmm

Haynes has a good description of the regulator and brushes, how to remove it and put it back in (both regulator and brushes). I think regulator is $40 and brushes $8 from parts store.
Posted By: LilLowEK Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 03:52 PM
So you guys think it may be the regulator and brushes? They can be bought at an autozone??
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 04:05 PM
So you guys think it may be the regulator and brushes? They can be bought at an autozone??

Could be reg and brushes. I read that if the inside of alt. is "scarred/gouged in", in won't do any good to change brushes. Unfortunately, that can only be determined by taking out the alt and looking at the inside. In the past when I changed alt. for my chevys, it was cheap ($70), so the thought of changing just the reg did not come to mind. For the Fords, I think, we are looking at $170 or so. But for the Duratec, the hassle of it just makes it worthwhile to just replace the whole thing. I tried this past weekend to access the reg. for the alt in my duratec (just to try but no go. (got my tiny hand and screwdriver in but not enough leverage to turn the screws for the reg.)

Yes, regualtor or brushes can be bought from Autozoen or advance.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 04:09 PM
As I stated in the PM to you, and others have stated:

The possible causes for YOUR scenario (light on, not all the time, under load more often than not), are:

Alternator starting to go out.

Serpentine belt slipping (not busted.. busted would be a no charge scenario)

That's it.

I wouldn't suspect the megafuse (it would be an all/nothing condition, like a broken belt) and I wouldn't suspect the bruses, yet. They normally float at upper rpms, not lower rpms with load.

My biggest culprit, so far, would be slipping serp. belt, however an alternator isn't out of the question, yet. (There are other parts to an alternator that CAN fail and be present at lower rpms, and brushes CAN float at lower rpms.. however unlikely it may be)

Ray
Posted By: LilLowEK Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 04:14 PM
Thanks Tony, and thanks Ray.

So, if Autozone says the alternator is good, it's probably just a slipping belt?

Thanks alot guys.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 04:24 PM
Have them test it at MORE than IDLE.. They usually just test output at idle.

Have them rev it through the range, but yes, look to the belt afterwards.

(test tension. no more than 1/4 inch movement pressing in with your thumb.

1/4 is small!!!

Problems could be the tensioner, or the belt getting old/stretched.

Ray
Posted By: LilLowEK Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 04:26 PM
So when we go to the autozone, and they are testing it...put it in neutral and rev the motor? What RPMs would you take it to? 4 or 5000 at a slow rate up and see what it reads??

Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 04:35 PM
They'll do it.. no worries.

Ray
Posted By: LilLowEK Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 04:37 PM
Good deal, thanks alot.

I'll find out what's going on, and post results if I get any.

Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 04:44 PM
How about: You're heartbroken, or a softie... lets leave it at that. no sense in locking this thread for language.. okay?

Ray
Posted By: LilLowEK Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/09/05 04:47 PM
No bad language. Sorry, didn't know this place was that strict.

No problem, edited to save the innocent.
Posted By: LilLowEK Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/10/05 02:44 AM
Well guys, I went and looked at my girls car. Everything seems fine. I checked the tension of the belt, felt great to me. The belt is a little beat up, and it could really use a good replacing.

Other then that, I turned on the AC full blast, head lights, 4 ways, and cranked up the sterio and there was no light for me.

The only thing she was majorly worried about I guess was when the light came on her power stearing went out for a few seconds until she turned the sterio and defrost off.

Hmm

Autozone said the battery and the alternator are in great shape.

I told her to just run it and keep an eye for anything funky.

I thank you guys so much. Even if none of what was informed to me wasn't used today, it will be down the road. You guys taught me a good bit about the alternator, etc.

Thanks guys.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/10/05 03:09 AM
The belt is a little beat up, and it could really use a good replacing.

The only thing she was majorly worried about I guess was when the light came on her power stearing went out for a few seconds until she turned the sterio and defrost off.

"I told her to just run it and keep an eye for anything funky."
Not very sound advice.

I would suggest changing the serpentine belt now as it appears to be the problem and it doesn't cost much to replace it (probably hasn't been replaced since first bought). If it breaks, she will be stranded.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/10/05 03:14 AM
The power steering going out when the light comes on indicates the problem goes beyond the alternator to something that controls both the light and pwr. steering.. Serp Belt.

Slipping because it is old.

Snapping that belt will cause stranding, PLUS it will fling around, breaking unknown vac hoses, wires, and connectors that you will NOT know what they are (or WHERE they are) and you will be screwed.

Repalce the belt.

20 minutes with help (no strong arms.. just a hand to hold the tensioner)

Ray
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/10/05 03:25 AM
The tensioner could be bad, too. The new belt should be snug, 1/4 inch of play, tensioner mark 1/2 way or less.
Posted By: LilLowEK Re: Alternator How-to?? - 08/10/05 11:08 AM
Yup, belt will get replaced. As per my post I noticed it was pretty beat up. Thanks again guys.
© CEG Archives