Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: R_G Turn Signal Failure? - 08/06/05 12:31 AM
Right is working normally; however, when the stalk put for the left turn often a time it will blink twice and that's it; nada, then it'll start blinking again for a coupla times and goes off again...

What should be checked/done/replaced?

Thanks,

RG
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 08/06/05 01:23 AM
Originally posted by R_G:
Right is working normally; however, when the stalk put for the left turn often a time it will blink twice and that's it; nada, then it'll start blinking again for a coupla times and goes off again...

When the LH turn is blinking (or not), is it the same for the instrument panel light and the outside (front and back)?

And when you push the hazard light on, does it all turn on and off? or is the left (panel and outside) just the ones having problems.?
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 08/06/05 03:18 AM
Check your bulbs. If one is flakey, it can cause one side to act up. Also check the rear bulb sockets.

If it is not the bulbs or sockets, it is probably the turn signal switch. This has been a somewhat common problem.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 08/06/05 03:25 AM
Originally posted by Big Jim:

If it is not the bulbs or sockets, it is probably the turn signal switch. This has been a somewhat common problem. [/quote
Mine caught on fire.
Posted By: R_G Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 08/07/05 10:35 PM
Nope, it's not the bulbs, and it's the same for the instr. panel and the outside and it doesn't happen all the time, just comes and goes, sometimes I can go w/o any problem for like a week.

So, I guess it's the switch, isn't it?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 08/07/05 10:41 PM

Yep, you may just want to open it up and clean the connections first (I think the part is $130).

Edit. The instructions from my 1996 Fac CD is disconnect battery negative terminal, remove two screws on upper steering column shroud, remove shroud, depress Multi Function Switch locking tab, slide MFS up and off the steering column, depress locking tabs for MFS electrical connectors and remove the MFS.

Here is a post which seem to say it is the MFS.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=480071&Forum=trouble&Words=turn%20signal%20issues&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=478096&Search=true#Post480071

And here is one which seem to say it is the Flasher

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=904700&Forum=trouble&Words=turn%20signals%20only%20half%20the%20time&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=702229&Search=true#Post904700
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 08/07/05 11:59 PM
Though the culprit could, in fact, be the flasher, I would state that its a "one in a million" chance of a flasher failing. (not actual odds, but close!!!)

Look to the MFS to be corroded and intermittantly faulty

Ray
Posted By: R_G Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 08/13/05 12:13 PM
Interestingly nuff, I noticed that the malfunction of the MFS apparently depends on the outside temperature - I never have this prob in the mornings but after the car was parked outside for 8 hrs, sitting in the heat - the MFS fails unmistakingly. Just wondering how the temperature can cause this type of malfunction?
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 08/13/05 02:30 PM
Make sure you check your blinker fluid level. Low fluid can result in a failure.

You should be able to get a used switch from a junkyard for under $10. Check everything first, if that doesn't work, then just replace the switch. Don't go to the dealer!
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 08/13/05 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Matt R:
Make sure you check your blinker fluid level. Low fluid can result in a failure.

Make sure you check the blinder bearings when you check the blinker fluid. Topping off the fluid won't help much if the bearings are shot.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 08/14/05 12:53 AM
Interestingly nuff, I noticed that the malfunction of the MFS apparently depends on the outside temperature - I never have this prob in the mornings but after the car was parked outside for 8 hrs, sitting in the heat - the MFS fails unmistakingly. Just wondering how the temperature can cause this type of malfunction?

Heat causes expansion. The stalk where the metal is, is probably expanding slower than the other metal on the houisng (????). You have a choice. Change it or not drive when it is hot.
Posted By: TravisN1 Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 08/14/05 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Tony2005:

Yep, you may just want to open it up and clean the connections first (I think the part is $130).

Edit. The instructions from my 1996 Fac CD is disconnect battery negative terminal, remove two screws on upper steering column shroud, remove shroud, depress Multi Function Switch locking tab, slide MFS up and off the steering column, depress locking tabs for MFS electrical connectors and remove the MFS.

Here is a post which seem to say it is the MFS.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=480071&Forum=trouble&Words=turn%20signal%20issues&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=478096&Search=true#Post480071

And here is one which seem to say it is the Flasher

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=904700&Forum=trouble&Words=turn%20signals%20only%20half%20the%20time&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=702229&Search=true#Post904700

I replaced my entire turn signal stalk and relay for $25 from the junk yard... Now my turn signals work nice again
Posted By: R_G Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/26/05 04:26 AM

Well, I removed the upper shroud but I am not quite sure as what/where the retaining clip/clips are. I took a couple of pix:

I also found a much better pic posted b4:

Are the retaining clips them lil' black things sitting right above and in the rear of the white plastic part?

Also how them clips should be removed? Should I put a screwdriver and bend 'em towards the dash or towards the seats or otherwise?

Your help is appreciated as always. Thanks.
Posted By: R_G Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/26/05 04:25 PM
Anyone?
Posted By: dellowm_dup1 Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/26/05 06:30 PM
Check your signal flasher on the Multifunction switch. It is the likely culprit. I had the same problem last week. It started off with the signal working a few times and then stopping for one side, then got progressively worse for both right and left. Then the hazard flasher stopped as well unless I pushed the switch up and down a few times, or put the headlight high beam switch on and off a few times or put pressure on the signal stalk. I removed the switch a couple of times and carefully dis-assembed it with a couple of small screwdrivers making sure not to break any tabs or lose the springs or the Hazard switch toggle wire. the copper conductors in the switch are very robust and only showed minor wear. Copper is very conductive so it would take major corrosion or a very worn copper part of the switch to be a switch problem. I replaced the old grease with new after cleaning with electrical contact cleaner. The switch would work for the next day and the problem would come back. i got some success by squeezing on the flasher and partially removing it from the socket on the switch. However eventually problem came back. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it would not.
If you use a meter to confirm the electrical paths on the switch with the flasher removed you can discount the switch itself.
The intermittent problem which turned into a constant one turned out to be a failing solder connection on the flasher electrical board. If you carefully pop off the flasher cover with a small flat screwdriver and inspect the circuit board under a large magnifing glass without touching the surface mount components or chip you will likely notice a crack in the solder on the connection for one of the main spade connectors for the flasher. It will be in one corner. I soldered mine back and all problems disappeared. I have a photo showing the problem and can post it tonight. I suspect that the mounting location on the steering column makes the flasher subject to continual vibration from the drive train and eventually breaks one of the solder joints. With 264,000 KM on my car it was just a matter of time
Posted By: R_G Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/27/05 12:28 AM
Thanks, would greatly appreciate the pic - the prob described is exacly what keeps hapeening to me as well.

Also; pls more details as how the flasher was removed.
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/27/05 12:59 AM
I just serviced the switch 2 weeks ago! In the square hole on top of the assembly, there is a tab, push it to the right or maybe left (carefully, I can't remember for sure which is correct!) The whole switch assembly pops up, then you can release the 2 wiring plugs. They have release catches on the Bottom, push up a bit and pull them out they swing around the top hooks pictured above (bottom towards dash). Then the whole switch comes out and you can replace it. The flasher relay plugs into it. Actually a very easy assembly to deal with once you do it once.
Posted By: R_G Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/27/05 05:03 AM
Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
In the square hole on top of the assembly, there is a tab, push it to the right or maybe left (carefully, I can't remember for sure which is correct!) The whole switch assembly pops up

D'ya mean this one (circled blue)?

That's what I first tried to do, to push the tab, and it just wouldn't move period
Posted By: dellowm_dup1 Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/27/05 12:10 PM
Sorry I could not upload the pic. I did not realize you must have a website to do so(is there another way). Perhaps I can email tonight.
BTW the release tab for the switch assembly is at the top of the switch. Just move it sideways (with your finger) so the tab clears the metal diecast bracket and the whole switch slides out vertically. To replace just slide it back in slowly so it easily engages the tab again. You should not have to force it out or back in. The flasher is a square relay unit that simply plugs into the bottom of the switch. Just pull the flasher out. You can replace with a new Ford one ( do not use any other), but I suggest you carefully pop off the cover and inspect the circuit board. You may see the broken solder joint for one of the main spade terminals. You have to look carefully. I did not see it at first and it took a 2nd try after a few days for me to notice it. If it is there, it is your choice to buy or repair. I fixed because Ford Canada has them priced at $30 CDN. In the US ~$10 US. Mine has been working fine since I resoldered the connection.
Posted By: R_G Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/27/05 11:25 PM
Originally posted by dellowm:

BTW the release tab for the switch assembly is at the top of the switch.

So, the blue circled one?
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/28/05 02:48 AM
Yes.
Posted By: dellowm_dup1 Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/28/05 03:58 PM
R_G: Good luck with the problem. The issue with cold temperatures allowing it to work at first with it stopping later when the car is warmed up was my experience too.
I can only surmize that the broken solder joint when cold made contact and when warmed up expanded enough to open it up. Based on my inspection of the switch internal parts and the flasher, I would state that the flasher is more prone to failure as it is more complicated and has more delicate parts. The copper conductors inside the switch are fairly thick. It would take a broken part in the switch rather than wear to cause a problem. However don't discount it but check the flasher first. It is easier to open up than the switch itself.
Posted By: R_G Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/29/05 01:58 AM
I already got a used switch, so what I am gonna do here is to replace the switch, check it, then remove the flasher, open it and fix it if it needs re-soldering...
Posted By: dellowm_dup1 Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/29/05 03:31 AM
Great; I sent you the pic and if you want, post it here so it can benefit others.
A little time invested and you can save the cost of both a switch and a flasher.
Posted By: R_G Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/29/05 02:08 PM
Thanks again.
Posted By: R_G Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/30/05 03:25 PM
IMHO it's not a flasher in my case. The flasher is responsible not only for turn "blinkage" but also for hazard lights, right? So I conducted an experiment. I waited till my turn signal failed, so the MDS was put for the left turn but the turn light failed and stopped blinking - at this very time I pressed the hazard lights button and it kept functioning properly; I repeated this process a coupla times with the same results; so I guess it's a MDS, right?
Posted By: R_G Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/30/05 07:42 PM
I don't understand what happened the first time when I attempted to remove it - today it took me like literally 30 seconds to remove the entire assembly. I put in a used 96 stalk that came with a flasher ($7.50 off Ebay) and it works fine (knock, knock on the wood). I am gonna disassemble the flasher unit now to figure out "who" was the real culprit.
Posted By: R_G Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/30/05 08:28 PM
I visually inspected the circuit board and found nothing that looks suspicious, no broken solder joints or something; on the other hand I am not that good at electronics, so take a look and judge by yourself:

Posted By: dellowm_dup1 Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/31/05 12:58 PM
The flasher pics are not displaying. You may want to repost. BTW the removal and insertion of the switch is tempermental. Sometimes it is easy and sometimes it is not.
I had similar issues with the turn signal not working and then the 4 way hazards working OK. I can only surmize that in my case the solder joint issue was developing and the first time I opened up the flasher it was not fully developed and even though I looked for it I could not see it. The second time I had no trouble in spotting it and it is clearly visble on the photo I sent.
You may want to take the old switch apart to inspect it as well. I am sure there are a number of failure reasons for the multifunction switch.
Posted By: R_G Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 10/31/05 11:02 PM
Originally posted by dellowm:
The flasher pics are not displaying. You may want to repost.

I see 'em...
Posted By: dellowm_dup1 Re: Turn Signal Failure? - 11/01/05 01:49 AM
OK: I see them as well. I looked first at work and just got the little squares with question marks in them. Maybe our corporate firewall doing something. At home no problem but resolution is not close enough to be positive but I think in second pic that the solder joint in top corner looks like it has a small crack in it. This solder joint is for one of the spade terminals. You may have to look with a good magnifying glass. Can you get any closer focus with your camera?
Post the photo I sent you for comparison.
© CEG Archives