Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Well here it is:

I hate this car sometimes

Oooh...I just noticed in the vid, it gave me a CEL that time...maybe i'll go get it scanned, but in the mean time, what do u guys think?
Originally posted by 99SVT:
Well here it is:

I hate this car sometimes

Oooh...I just noticed in the vid, it gave me a CEL that time...maybe i'll go get it scanned, but in the mean time, what do u guys think?

Alternator? If I remember correctly, a dying alternator can make the gauges freak out. Get that code read and we can be more sure though...
not just the gauge freakin out, the engine is choking along with it. Gonna go get the code read now.
P0320 Ignition/Dist Speed Input Circuit Malfunction

Doesn't seem to be a very common code. I'm thinking possibly new plug wires or a new coil pack?

Any sure fire way to test these before i go throwin money away on parts I don't need?

Any other ideas?

Doesn't seem to be a very common code. I'm thinking possibly new plug wires or a new coil pack?

Any sure fire way to test these before i go throwin money away on parts I don't need?

Any other ideas?

This is the pinpoint test.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=608033&Forum=trouble&Words=P0320&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=607897&Search=true#Post608033

Any other ideas?

You're on the right track.

http://www.visi.com/~rhanson/obdII_codes-full-text.htm
So is there a way to determine if it's the wires or the coil pack?
So is there a way to determine if it's the wires or the coil pack?

The first thing I would do is check out all your wires and make sure there are no loose connections.
already done, i think it may be the wires i noticed a few spots that look worn. How they got worn i have no idea. They are probably about 2 years and 40,000 miles old, so i might just replace them
Even if the wires didn't look worn, replacing them would be my first guess in troubleshooting your problem. So in your case, definitely go ahead and do that.
It was the wires.

Soooo much smoother now.
Enjoy!
FAWK!!!

It's still there!

here is some more info on my recent repair history here:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1013489&Forum=All_Forums&Words=12218&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1013489&Search=true#Post1013489

BTW had the fuel pressure checked:

60psi engine off
55psi idle
65psi at 3000 rpm

If anything that seems too HIGH.

Also, one more tidbit, it seems to happen once the engine is warmed up.
For an SVT the pressure should be
45psi at idle, 55psi at WOT, + or - a bit.

I had a fuel pump that when the engine got warm the pressure went down not up.
Yea, how big of a problem is too much fuel pressure?

Could a bad pump, pump too much gas?

But it still seems like the engine is NOT getting gas, not getting too much.

Weird.
Not the coil pack either....

This is gettin annoying as hell.
Fuel pressure regulator? Any codes?
The PCM is supposed to compensate for higher PSI and bring it down to normal levels from what I've read.

I looked up a P320 and:
Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0320 indicates two succesive erratic Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) pulses occurred resulting in a possible engine miss or stall.

Possible Cause:

-- Low battery voltage.

-- Loose wires/connectors.

-- Open/Shorted circuits.

-- Damaged distributor cap, rotor, plugs or plug wires.

-- Damaged coil, ICM or PCM.

There's a whole diagnostic sequence, but it's too much to put here. Get a Service CD and run all the electrical tests for a P320.

I hope you don't have a damaged PCM. If so wreckers are the best place to get one. I got one for $75.00 cdn
I have a service cd but i don't know how to navigate that damn thing.

Well it's not:

Plugs
Wires
Coil

So to me the ignition system is fine. So maybe a bad pcm? or a fuel delivery problem? or what else?

It seems to only happen when the car is warmed up. However it took me 8 starts to start the thing this morning(never had a problem starting b4). But once it started it ran like a champ until it got warmed up and then started freakin out again.

I'm lost.
On a more positive note your engine sounds sweet
Well it wouldn't start this morning.

Cranked fine but wouldn't catch.

So i'm replacing the crank sensor here in a few. We'll see what that does. I also have a Camshaft position sensor coming tomorrow just for [censored] and giggles.
Is your car chipped?
Well it wouldn't start this morning.

Cranked fine but wouldn't catch.

So i'm replacing the crank sensor here in a few. We'll see what that does. I also have a Camshaft position sensor coming tomorrow just for [censored] and giggles.

Strike that. Reverse it. I actually had the cam sensor and the crank sensor comes in tomorrow. However I am 95% sure I have found the cause and it IS the crank sensor. I will have to wait till tomorrow to know for sure. But here's the scoop:

Seems that when i had my crank sensor replaced 2 winters ago they broke the clip on the wire harness and used some sort of blue goo to hold it together. When I replaced the 02 sensor last week I must have pulled it loose. This sensor itself is probably still good but I am gonna wait on the new one anyways.

It does leave me one problem. Since the part that's wired to the car is the broken piece, how am I going to keep this thing held together. Electrical tape? Duct tape? Any ideas?

P.S. No my car is not chipped.
Is that a stock flywheel ?

My rpms drop three times as slow as that ... holy schit, maybe cleaning the IAC isn't the best solution ...
Seen this marvel done before. A car got shipped to us running. We installed a turbo kit and then it wouldn't start. It turns out the owner superglued the crank sensor harness to the sensor. It needs to be CLEAN contact. Definately sounds like your culprit.
Got the new crank sensor in. That was it.

Now it's runnin like a raped date.
Great job.
© CEG Archives