Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Coheed Cooling Fan Problem "please Help" - 07/21/05 02:17 AM
1995 2.0 GL
Single cooling fan "duel speed"

My Cooling fan will come on right when I start the car for about 7 seconds then turn off and will not come on again. The car will then procede to overheat the sender is broken so I cant tell where the temp is, But I can tell by the coolent noise and smell that the car is HOT!!! Is there anyway I can get the fan to always come on for now? or fix the problem? Thanks guys
Posted By: chongo Re: Cooling Fan Problem "please Help" - 07/21/05 03:05 AM
Autozone.......

TEMPERATURE SWITCH for a 1995 FORD CONTOUR WELLS TU206 $10.99. Fix your temp gauge.............

Sounds like your coolant sensor is fubar, COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR for a 1995 FORD CONTOUR WELLS SU201 $15.99

First, take a look under the hood, see if you can find the fan wiring at the motor, and trace it back, see if there are any damaged wires. If so, see if the Ford dealer will do a recall repair on it. I don't know if it applies to the Zetec. There is a fan relay, and other components, a schematic from the Ford service CD or manuals will help. If the coolant temp sensor is bad the check engine light will be on. Does the fan run steady if you turn on the a/c,if it does, leave the a/c on, until you can solve the problem.
Posted By: chongo Re: Cooling Fan Problem "please Help" - 07/21/05 03:32 AM
Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
If so, see if the Ford dealer will do a recall repair on it.

If Ford does this recall (wiring harness) on a 10 year old car, I'll be impressed.
Also the recall (engine cooling fan motor bearings) is for the Duratec engine not the Zetec.
Posted By: Coheed Re: Cooling Fan Problem "please Help" - 07/21/05 05:39 AM
when the AC is on the FAN does not come on, all the wires look fine coming from the fan, I can get the fan to come if I put the wrong relay in the slot! lol what the??? could it be a bad relay?
Posted By: Coheed Re: Cooling Fan Problem "please Help" - 07/23/05 12:14 AM
UPDATE!

The fan will come on for 6 seconds, as soon as I start the car then will never run again. WHY?? I dont understand this! can someone please help? do you guys think it may be the relays?
It might be. Which relay clicks after start, see if it clicks again when the fan stops in 7 seconds. Put your finger right on the black relay or green and feel the click. I tried that on my car, to see which circuit was active. If the green relay clicks on, clicks off, it is either being shut off or a connection gets loose. Push against the relay and see if the fan comes back on. Let me know.
Posted By: Coheed Re: Cooling Fan Problem "please Help" - 07/23/05 04:47 AM
thanks Fave! I will try this tomorow and see what relay kicks on and off.

ps. should the green relay slot be hot when the AC is on? the black one is, the green one is not. I tried to jump 3-5 on the green Nothing! the black relay starts the fans right away. thanks

also when I put the green relay in the black slot with the ac on the green relay clicks loudly and the fans come on?
Posted By: btrautman Re: Cooling Fan Problem "please Help" - 07/23/05 02:24 PM
To check the relay you could just temporarily switch it with another and check it like you are doing....

I would replace your ECT sensor. This is what is read from the computer to determine if your fans should come on. If the ECT sensor is not detecting proper tempature then fans will not work correctly. Also there is another sender that is for your temp gauge on the dash. Sounds like you need to replace this also if your gauge is not working.... ECT is a VERY important sensor. There are a number of subsystems that use this info, like atx, fans, engine, etc....

Bob
Posted By: Coheed Re: Cooling Fan Problem "please Help" - 07/23/05 07:23 PM
Ok, From what I can tell the black relay is the one that is clicking the fan on and then off.... hmm
That doesn't seem right. The green relay socket pin 3 goes to the 60 amp fuse that also feeds the black relay pin 3. Green relay pin 3 and black relay pin3 should be 12 volts, even if the car is off. Pin 5 goes to the cooling fan resistor green/white wires. Maybe power is not traveling through the contacts or wiring. I think the missing 12 volts at pin 3 green is your problem.

If not, try unplugging the coolant temp sensor (not the gauge sensor) and see if the fans come on, it may cause a check engine light and code, but the fan should run according to this post from another topic:

{I changed both senders,Engine cooling sensor and guage temp sensor along with anything else I thought might be the problem.Right now I have the engine cooling sensor disconnected so the fan will run.For now at least I can use the car.}

Posted By: Coheed Re: Cooling Fan Problem "please Help" - 07/26/05 12:03 AM
yeah, when I disconect the fan "Sensor" not the sender the one on top. Nothing happens the fan still dont run, the only way I can get the fans to run.. is to plug the green relay into the Black relay slot with the AC on.. man this is really frustrating.
With the car off, Pull both relays, check for 12 volts at pin 3 in each socket. Is the 12 volts missing from the socket for the green relay?
Posted By: Coheed Re: Cooling Fan Problem "please Help" - 07/27/05 12:44 AM
I dont have a voltometer to check but when I jump 3 and 5 on the black relay, the fan runs, when I jump 3and 5 on the green relay, nothing happens!
You probably ARE missing power to pin 3 of the green relays socket. Or the low speed resistor is bad, mounted somewhere on the fan housing. I think you can buy a DMM (voltmeter) for less than 30 bucks at Radio Shack, then you can check the resistor, wires, sockets, etc. I recommend it, handy for other electrical tests around the house.
Posted By: Coheed Re: Cooling Fan Problem "please Help" - 07/27/05 10:12 PM
Update!

ok today I was outside with the car messing around with it, I unplugged the temp sensor and the low speed can comes on for about 8 seconds then stops??? usualy when I unhook the sensor nothing happens. this whole thing is really frustating,
That's almost the same as what it does if you are not tinkering (your first post). Please read my last post, to fix this problem you should get a voltmeter, I have the schematic, so you can really find out what's up. Also, do you get a check engine light while it's all connected normally?
Posted By: Coheed Re: Cooling Fan Problem "please Help" - 07/27/05 10:23 PM
I am running over to my father in laws house to get a voltmeter. I never get a check enging light when everything is connected properly.
Posted By: Coheed Re: Cooling Fan Problem "please Help" - 07/28/05 03:01 AM
Alright Fave, This is what I found out, the green relay is not grounding. When I make a ground to the battery it pushes 12v. without doing that there is nothing at the 3-5 pins. where do those pins ground to? the harness go's into the firewall, Any info on this would greatly be apreciated.
If you ground the (-) meter at the (-) battery post, 12volts should appear at pin 3, both green and the black relay. It seems you checked that and have power at Green 3. From Green pin 5 to the battery ground should show some ohms (a bit more than the Black pin 5 to ground). I don't know the value, probably less than 10 ohms. See what you get. That will test the motor circuit.
Posted By: Coheed Re: Cooling Fan Problem "please Help" - 07/28/05 04:03 AM
ok, will do.. So it is normal to not have 12v when I try and ground 3 to 5 on the green relay?? the black relay has 12v when I ground 3 and 5 Thanks just trying to understand
Don't ground 3, that is 12 volts and will blow a fuse! If you mean connect 3 and 5 together at the black relay, that gives 12 volts to the fan motor. 3 and 5 at the green will connect 12 volts to the fan resistor, there could be a problem there. The pin 3's in the sockets
are just 12 volts, source of power, the relay clicks on and sends the power to pin 5 which leads to the motor circuit. Maybe there is a way to scan you an image of the diagram. I will see tomorrow.
Posted By: Coheed Re: Cooling Fan Problem "please Help" - 07/28/05 05:16 AM
Alright fave, That would really be apreciated. I didnt mean ground sorry, I ment with the voltmeter..

when I check the volts on the black relay by using the 5 and 3 pins its 12v.

when I check the volts on the green relay using the 5 and 3 pins its 0 now if I leave positive volt checker on and touch the negative on the batter I get 12v.

So basicaly im getting 12 volts through the black relay but the green relay will only pull 12v when I use a different ground then the 5 pin

does that make more sense? So what im trying to figure out is if the green relay should have 12v running through it when I check with a voltmeter and use the 3 and 5 pins as the positive and ground? because my green relay does not, I have to use a different ground then we get 12v.

phew! thanks again for ALL your help Fave.
I will go look at my schematic. Were you measuring across 3 to 5 with (+) on 3 (-) on 5? It looks like you should get 12V to me, either relay socket. I will check on my car tomorrow. You do have 12v on both pin 3's. So far, I think your low speed motor resistor (from pin 5 green through resistor to motor to ground) is bad. I want to measure the ohms on My car from pin 5 to ground on each relay socket, then you could do it. My ohms will probably be lower (2 motors).
I apologize for being lost here but have you replaced the sensors? If so, is the temp gauge now working properly now that you have replaced them?
Good point about sensors. I went out and experimented on my Mystique. I measured with the relays pulled, key/engine OFF

Green Low Speed:
3-5 12 Volts
5 to battery ground .4-.5 Ohms
Jump 3 to 5 Fan Runs Slower

Black High speed circuit:
3-5 12 Volts
5 to battery ground .1 Ohm
Jump 3 to 5 Fan Runs Faster

If your 12 volts is missing from 3 to 5 on the green relay, check the ohms from 5 to battery ground, should be more than the ohms from the same pins on the black relay. Good luck, maybe the problem can be solved! The resistor is mounted to the fan assembly. Your fan should then come on with the a/c.
Posted By: Coheed Re: Cooling Fan Problem "please Help" - 07/29/05 11:45 PM
Fave! I apreciate all the info and work you have done with me. I cant thank you enough, I am going to check that resistor and see what I get. Thanks
You're welcome! Keep me posted.
Any luck?
© CEG Archives