Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: nameles1 wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/19/05 12:14 AM
Hey everyone,

My wheel bearing has been going out and just lately it started to make loud noises. So today I called around and got some quotes from ASE certified and BBB endorsed mechanics; all of them said it would be $300-350 to repair the b*tch. That sounds a bit high to me-- any input would be great.

-Alex
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/19/05 12:15 AM
Yeah to high Sears does it for $160.

Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/19/05 12:16 AM
I got a new bearing pressed and replaced for $45, but i did all the tear down and dropped off the knuckle.

~Alex
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/19/05 03:27 AM
do it yourself, cost is the bearing and some of your time ...
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/19/05 05:31 PM
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
Yeah to high Sears does it for $160.

I need a front bearing on my Contour as well. I had one done about a year ago and it was about $300. I took your advice and called the local Sears Auto and was told the part was about $200 plus about $150 in labor.

I called a Dealership, and was told about $300. $150 in parts and $150 in labor.

I have seen bearings that say they are for Contours on ebay. Anyone have any experience with these? I'd really like to get this fixed the cheapest way possible, but I doubt I could do the work, being the nOOb that I am.

Thanks !
Posted By: Ed98.5SVT Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/19/05 08:01 PM
The dealer replaced mine for $165.00.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/19/05 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Ed98.5SVT:

Really? What dealership is that? Where part of NH is it in?
Posted By: Ed98.5SVT Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/19/05 08:29 PM
Originally posted by mean'tour:

AutoFair in Manchester, NH
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/19/05 08:36 PM

Thanks. If I can get a price like that then it would be worth the 80 or so mile drive.

THANKS !
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/19/05 09:01 PM
Look under Duratec Maintenance, under "Ray's how-tos" for a step by step, with pictures on removing the knuckle..

EASILY done, and then only costs about $40 for the new bearing.

Alternatively, an entirely new knuckle, with the bearing pressed in ALREADY (simply remove the old and install the new) is 160.00 SHIPPED through Tousley Ford. Ask for number, or search it out.

Ray
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/19/05 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Ray:
Look under Duratec Maintenance, under "Ray's how-tos" for a step by step, with pictures on removing the knuckle..

EASILY done, and then only costs about $40 for the new bearing.

Alternatively, an entirely new knuckle, with the bearing pressed in ALREADY (simply remove the old and install the new) is 160.00 SHIPPED through Tousley Ford. Ask for number, or search it out.

Ray

Ray,
Thanks for that. I had seen your How-to, which looks great. Unfortunately I think that doing it myself is over my head for right now !
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/19/05 11:01 PM
if you can read, you can do this..

all tools are listed, and everything you DON'T have can be BORROWED from Autozone (small deposit on a credit card, or cash)

Good time to get your feet wet, as this is a repair that you can't "ruin", botch, or fumble. nothing huge that can go wrong..

Take a dive, and see what happens.. you will be happy with the results.

Ray
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/20/05 12:16 PM

all tools are listed, and everything you DON'T have can be BORROWED from Autozone (small deposit on a credit card, or cash)

Good time to get your feet wet, as this is a repair that you can't "ruin", botch, or fumble. nothing huge that can go wrong..

Ray

Ray,
I will see, I'll look at the directions again see if it is do-able. Where do you get the bearing from? Ford? ebay?
How do I diagnose which side needs to be done? The noise is when you turn left. I have seen some say that means a left/drivers side bearing is bad, I have seen some say that means the passengers side is bad (the weight transfers to the right side of the car when turning left...)
Thanks for the faith, but you don't know me. If there is a way to mess something up, I'll find it. I really am a newbie as I am only now learning about changing fluids.
Posted By: CaliSEinMI Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/20/05 01:10 PM
Belle Tire did mine for $180. Took them 2 days(???) though, they ended up sending the hub out to get the bearing pressed out and a new one pressed in then re-installing it. I figured they would have the right tools, if I had known they were going to have to send it out anyway (and it was going to take 2 days) I would've done it myself.
Posted By: getsum111 Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/20/05 01:39 PM
Just had mine done by a local shop for about $100 total, and the part was $50..FWIW, this mechanic had the labor marked as a 1.5 hour job according to Ford.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/20/05 02:42 PM

Ray

How do I diagnose which side needs to be done? The noise is when I turn left. I have seen some say that means a left/drivers side bearing is bad, I have seen some say that means the passengers side is bad (the weight transfers to the right side of the car when turning left...)

Never mind- I just read on a little further in Ray's "How-to" and saw Ray's explanation of how to know which is bad.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/20/05 03:34 PM
cool.. Yeah.. for reference (and future searches) a bad bearing is usually indicated by a whirring sound that will manifest itself on an OPPOSITE turn (left turn makes it whirr, means that the right bearing is bad)

before going at it, and replacing it, though, when you jack up the "bad" side, see if you can grab the hub and wiggle it at ALL. if you have ANY movement (while the large axle nut is still on) then it is bad) You can also simple move the tire/hub combo without loosening ANY lug nuts...

Ray
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/20/05 03:51 PM

Thanks. If I can get a price like that then it would be worth the 80 or so mile drive.

THANKS !

AutoFair quoted me $315 for one or $595 for two.
Ford Dealer quoted about $300.
Sears about the same.
Posted By: Ed98.5SVT Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/20/05 04:54 PM

THANKS !

Sears about the same.

Strange. I just double checked my receipt. Must be I am a preferred customer.
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/20/05 07:43 PM

THANKS !

Sears about the same.

Strange. I just double checked my receipt. Must be I am a preferred customer.

Thanks for checking. How do you get on the "Preferred" list? Lol
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/21/05 01:06 PM
Originally posted by getsum111:
Just had mine done by a local shop for about $100 total, and the part was $50..FWIW, this mechanic had the labor marked as a 1.5 hour job according to Ford.

I'm being told by everyone that the part is $150, including a Ford Dealer. What am I doing wrong?
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/21/05 04:14 PM
by "part" you mean the actual bearing?

~$60.00..

Hell, if you are willing to spend the $150.00 get an entirely new knuckle (already has a bearing pressed in and you can change it yourself, now (without needing a press).

Call Tousley ford and speak to Steve..

1-800-328-9552

Mention that you heard about his "svt" plan, and he will give you anywhere from 40-61% off of your parts. (new knuckle ends up being 166.00 shipped to your door., instead of 225.00 PLUS shipping.

Ray
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/21/05 04:43 PM
by "part" you mean the actual bearing?

~$60.00..

Hell, if you are willing to spend the $150.00 get an entirely new knuckle (already has a bearing pressed in and you can change it yourself, now (without needing a press).

Call Tousley ford and speak to Steve..

1-800-328-9552

Mention that you heard about his "svt" plan, and he will give you anywhere from 40-61% off of your parts. (new knuckle ends up being 166.00 shipped to your door., instead of 225.00 PLUS shipping.

Ray

I'm not really sure what they are referring to when they say the "parts" will cost about $150. I'm just telling you what they told me. The next few places I call I will ask them more, to clarify. It makes me a little nervous that they are giving me these prices without looking anything up.

Again, thanks for all of your (and everyone's) help and suggestions !
Posted By: andy95se Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/22/05 02:09 AM
I've had both front wheel bearings replaced twice by now. They last around 80,000 miles. The first time I had it done at Bonnell Ford in Winchester, MA. Around $140 parts and labor (per wheel). That was back in 2000.

I had the passenger side bearing done again at Wayside Ford in Marlboro, MA. This ran me around $250, but that was high because they destroyed the old rotor (which was frozen to the hub)and they needed to install a new one. I think it would have been only around $180 if the job had gone smoothly. This was only a few weeks ago.

I think either the SVT must be very different, or you are getting bogus quotes.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/22/05 02:17 AM
I own an SVT, for reference, and I am giving the lower prices.

Steve.. Tousley... Bill, Signature..

either or.

Ray
I asked around at work, and found a place that quoted me $165 to pull out and press a new bearing, including labor.

Speedy Muffler in Warwick, RI. I'm going this week. He told me he even had the bearing in stock.

Will I need a front end alignment as well? It should probably be done, right? I've had some strange uneven tire wear patterns on the front, and some steering wheel vibration, which I think is linked to the play in the bearing.
IF the strangeness was linked SOLELY to the bearing, then you will not need one.

if you are not sure, however, then the alignment could very well be off either way, and getting one done wouldn't hurt.

as a rule, though, you shouldn't need an alignment after simply having the bearing replaced.

(I'm TELLIN YOU!! pull it off, and have it pressed for 40-60 bucks! then take that extra 100, and buy yourself something nice!!!)

Ray
IF the strangeness was linked SOLELY to the bearing, then you will not need one.

if you are not sure, however, then the alignment could very well be off either way, and getting one done wouldn't hurt.

as a rule, though, you shouldn't need an alignment after simply having the bearing replaced.

(I'm TELLIN YOU!! pull it off, and have it pressed for 40-60 bucks! then take that extra 100, and buy yourself something nice!!!)

Ray

I'll have to decide on the alignment.

I appreciate your faith, but I would probably end up spending the $100 (or more) on a deductible for an ER visit, or something ! lol I think that is way over my head right now.

Plus, it wouldn't be $100 difference. It would be like maybe $50, once I pay for the $50 part and some pressing labor.
well.. For $165 you can get a new hub WITH a bearing already in it from Tousley Ford.

If you have been replacing the same bearing over and over it can be from a worn out hub not holding the press very well.. keep that in mind if this bearing goes out again.

AND TELL THEM TO TORQUE IT TO 208 FT/lbs.. no matter what they say about it being too much.. watch them torque it.... (and get a new axle nut.. don't let them reuse the same one.. alot of places wouldn't think to replace it.. REPLACE IT... $8.50-ish at a dealer.. take it yourself to make sure..

I'd hate for that bearing to fail in 10K-ish miles because it wasn't torqued enough, or for your wheel to come off because the old axle not didn't hold (since it is a one time use nut)

Ray
well.. For $165 you can get a new hub WITH a bearing already in it from Tousley Ford.

If you have been replacing the same bearing over and over it can be from a worn out hub not holding the press very well.. keep that in mind if this bearing goes out again.

AND TELL THEM TO TORQUE IT TO 208 FT/lbs.. no matter what they say about it being too much.. watch them torque it.... (and get a new axle nut.. don't let them reuse the same one.. alot of places wouldn't think to replace it.. REPLACE IT... $8.50-ish at a dealer.. take it yourself to make sure..

I'd hate for that bearing to fail in 10K-ish miles because it wasn't torqued enough, or for your wheel to come off because the old axle not didn't hold (since it is a one time use nut)

Ray

Again, thanks for your suggestions and comments. I do appreciate them.

I'm on the Parts Counter Express, can you point me in the right direction of the Axle nut part number? I'll try to pick one up tonight on the way home.
I asked around at work, and found a place that quoted me $165 to pull out and press a new bearing, including labor.

Speedy Muffler in Warwick, RI. I'm going this week. He told me he even had the bearing in stock.

Will I need a front end alignment as well? It should probably be done, right? I've had some strange uneven tire wear patterns on the front, and some steering wheel vibration, which I think is linked to the play in the bearing.

So now I'm being told by this new place, that nothing is wrong with the front end. His tech. didn't notice any noise/ rubbing. I told him is is only noticable when turning left...

But he did tell me that I needed to rear tires, and all new rear brakes: pads and rotors. $380 brakes/ $680 with tires. NICE ! I told him that I had one front bearing replaced about a year ago, and was told that the other front would need to be replaced in the next while. He told me that was Bull$h!t ! NICE . I said what about the rubbing noise when you turn right? He said they didn't notice any.

Talk about shysters. THAT IS SPEEDY AUTO on Post Rd. in WARWICK, RI. I called the guy that did the other one a year ago, and was quoted $200-225. I told him what the other shop said, and he just laughed.

How do you know who you can trust in auto. repair?
Posted By: DanburySE Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/28/05 07:43 PM

Colony Ford in Meriden, CT just quoted $300
Posted By: SixxGunn Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/28/05 08:14 PM
Well mean'tour...sounds like we are in the same boat or 'tour...

I've been having the rubbing sound while turning left for a month now. Wheel doesn't get warm but there is a slight vibration even after a new set of tires and a 4 wheel alignment. A local shop pulled the whole left front hub (which seems to be where the sounds is coming from) and could find nothing wrong. Nothing rubs or squeeks or feels rough when the car is off the ground. It sounds like I have cleated snow tires on the front when turning left above 55mph. I'm starting to suspect a CV joint but that really makes little sense either since it only does it in a left turn and there is no clicking or popping from it during a sharp turn. The only other thing I can think of is a control arm or strut bushing. The tech looks at the tranny/engine mounts/resistors and everything looked ok. I didn't see anything out of whack from what I could see either although I'm not an expert.

This tour is really getting on the nerves lately...especially since the CEL is throwing 0420 again...went away for awhile after the tune up.

Thinking of trading it for an 02 Sport Trac.....
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/28/05 08:22 PM
Originally posted by SixxGunn:

I've been having the rubbing sound while turning left for a month now. Wheel doesn't get warm but there is a slight vibration even after a new set of tires and a 4 wheel alignment. A local shop pulled the whole left front hub (which seems to be where the sounds is coming from) and could find nothing wrong. Nothing rubs or squeeks or feels rough when the car is off the ground. It sounds like I have cleated snow tires on the front when turning left above 55mph. I'm starting to suspect a CV joint but that really makes little sense either since it only does it in a left turn and there is no clicking or popping from it during a sharp turn. The only other thing I can think of is a control arm or strut bushing. The tech looks at the tranny/engine mounts/resistors and everything looked ok. I didn't see anything out of whack from what I could see either although I'm not an expert.

This tour is really getting on the nerves lately...especially since the CEL is throwing 0420 again...went away for awhile after the tune up.

Yeah, same 'Tour. I'm dropping off at a place tomorrow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard on this forum if it's a wheel bearing that if the sounds occurs when you turn left, then it's the right bearing that is bad. Maybe your shop should have pulled the right hub?
Posted By: SixxGunn Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 04/28/05 09:53 PM
Yep, I've read the same thing. The guy yanked and tugged on both wheels...actually the rears also....and ask me some questions and decided to pull the left front. He said there was another guy there that was better on front ends than him but had the day off so who knows. I did read someone had a left bearing bad that made noise while turning left but the majority and most of the folk's that know their stuff on here say it's the opposite wheel also.

I know this tour is a short timer if it keeps annoying me. I miss my little 95 Escort GT.... 150k miles on it when I traded it and after 5 years of abuse it still was less trouble than the tour has been over an 8 month period.

Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 05/02/05 01:08 PM

Yeah, same 'Tour. I'm dropping off at a place tomorrow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard on this forum if it's a wheel bearing that if the sounds occurs when you turn left, then it's the right bearing that is bad. Maybe your shop should have pulled the right hub?

I got mine done on Friday. All said and done it was $250, which included a new rotor that they had to destroy to get it off. Rubbing noise gone.
Posted By: SixxGunn Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 05/03/05 11:03 AM
I need to throw mine in the shop sometime sounds like. Was it the right side wheel bearing bad on yours then ? Noise was when you turned left ? Wanting to get it all straight ya know. It sounds like all the racket is from the front left on mine is what confuses me. Even people riding in the passenger seat thinks its coming from my side. Oh well ! hehe
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 05/03/05 01:59 PM
I need to throw mine in the shop sometime sounds like. Was it the right side wheel bearing bad on yours then ? Noise was when you turned left ? Wanting to get it all straight ya know. It sounds like all the racket is from the front left on mine is what confuses me. Even people riding in the passenger seat thinks its coming from my side. Oh well ! hehe

Not sure, maybe you have some other issue. In my experience, as a front bearing goes out on our cars, they make noise when you turn. Yes, the opposite side, as I turned left, it put stress on the right side bearing. That's what he replaced, since I got a new rotor, it's obvious from looking which side they worked on.

Again, if everyone says the noise is from the driver's side, maybe both bearings are bad, or there is some other issue...

Good luck.
Posted By: richs_dup1 Re: wheel bearing estimate-- too high?? - 05/05/05 04:15 PM
Both sides $398 at local Ford dealer. Only the right needs replacing right now but going to have both changed. Would do it myself but down by one car. The Taurus wagon has been retired after hitting a guard rail. Takes me much longer to do these jobs than the book. Always something.

Rich S
© CEG Archives