Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 98Ford2L Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/21/05 10:36 PM
So I go to rotate my tires today, jack it up and remove lug nuts, and the wheels won't come off!
Ok, annoying, but I get the acetalene torch and heat it up and pound and pry and only manage to get one off.

I ended up giving up because of lack of time primarily, but is it normal to not be able to get the wheels off?

It seems ridiculous to me! I didn't wanna pound too hard for fear of screwing something up, but how the heck do I get the wheels off?

-Peter
'98 zetec
121,xxx
We were trying to get the stock wheels off an SVT to get the summer wheels on, and they wouldn't come off either. We pounded on the stockies with a mallet as hard as we could without damaging anything, and soaked behind the wheel in WD-40. Then we got an idea of lowering the jack, just until the tire touched the pavement...it WORKED!! I guess it just needed 3,000lbs of pressure!
Posted By: 99_2.5_V6 Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/21/05 10:59 PM
I had that problem but hit it from behind with a rubber mallet and it eventually came off. I always coat the surface with anti-seize compound to prevent it from happening in the future.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/21/05 11:17 PM
Have a garage do it for you, much easier with air tools. Then put anti-seeze on the lugs after you get it back, or have the garage do it for you.
Posted By: 864X4 Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/22/05 12:13 AM
I heard that if you barely loosen that lug nuts and roll the car back and foward that will help. As getlucky151 said, 3000# of force will do a lot of work for you.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/22/05 02:42 AM
Yep. I couldn't get mine, so I finally put the nuts on finger tight, lowered the car, let it roll, and hit the brakes. broke that rust pretty easily!
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/22/05 03:07 AM
two by four and an 8 lb sledge
Posted By: bobbyd Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/22/05 03:53 AM
ur best bet would be spray alot of rust remover on it and hit it with a rubber mallet so u dont damnage anything

or u could try kicking it lol
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/22/05 12:06 PM
Originally posted by bobbyd:
ur best bet would be spray alot of rust remover on it and hit it with a rubber mallet so u dont damnage anything

or u could try kicking it lol

I soaked mine with rust remover, and kicked until I could kick no more. Just loosen the lug nuts and then let the car break it free. It'll save you a lot of time I wasted.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/22/05 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Matt R:
Have a garage do it for you, much easier with air tools. Then put anti-seeze on the lugs after you get it back, or have the garage do it for you.

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

NEVER, EVER, EVER let any mechanic near your wheels with an air wrench!!!! Those things will warp your wheels, cross thread your lug nuts & warp your rotors faster than anything I can think of!! ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS hand tighten the lug nuts! ALWAYS!!!
Posted By: dutchie_dup1 Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/22/05 03:04 PM
Sometimes a good hard kick to the edge of the rim/tire with your foot helps. I had the same problem. Also, lowering a bit so the car weighs on the wheels with the lugs loosened.

yeah, air wrench will screw them up. I take mine off with air and hand torque on.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/22/05 03:43 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

NEVER, EVER, EVER let any mechanic near your wheels with an air wrench!!!! Those things will warp your wheels, cross thread your lug nuts & warp your rotors faster than anything I can think of!! ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS hand tighten the lug nuts! ALWAYS!!!

YUP. listen to the man.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/22/05 05:28 PM
Then put anti-seeze on the lugs after you get it back, or have the garage do it for you.

Anti on the lug nuts?!!!!!!!!! HELL NO!!!!! On the rotor or dump surface that mats to the wheels yes.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/22/05 05:35 PM
Anit-seeze = anti-lock

Anti-lock= anti-fuggin wheel is gonna come loose.

Hope you enjoyed your math lesson for today.

Yes, put it on the wheel back where the rim mate's to the hub... that where corrosion happens the must because most rims are not chromed, painted, treated on the rear. UNtreated raw mettal against raw metal means corrosion.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/22/05 09:27 PM
My bad. And I meant, have them do the rotation, etc, and when you get it back, loosen the lugs and retighten by hand. Won't hurt in the short distance back from the garage, unless they really mess it up.
Posted By: FrozenSection Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/23/05 12:58 AM
Originally posted by LilRedRocket:
UNtreated raw mettal against raw metal means corrosion.

Very true, especially if you have aluminum wheels. Perhaps an engineer can better explain this, but when two dissimilar metals (aluminum wheel and steel brake drum) are moving together, an electric field is created which accelerates corrosion at the interface of the two metals.

Anti-seize is great stuff!
Posted By: 98Ford2L Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/23/05 01:40 AM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

About rotors warping, I've heard of over tightening lug nuts warping rotors, but I don't quite understand how it does.

Also, my car has a shimmy like thing at around 40-50, didn't have it before I took the one wheel off a while ago while doing some maintenence.

I can feel it in the steering wheel more than anywhere else, and it's annoying. I think it's a little better after I took off that wheel and put it back on the other day (the only wheel i could get off), but it's not gone.

Is this warped rotors? Or did my taking off and putting the wheel back on have something to do with it?
Thanks, and thanks for all the tips on removing wheels guys!
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/23/05 02:20 AM
sounds like you are out of balance. Make sure there is no dirt or mud on your wheel, and put it on again, being careful to center it this time, before you snug the nuts.

heh - "snug the nuts" - that sounds dirty
Posted By: CSVT985 Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/24/05 10:25 PM
Originally posted by 98ford2L:

About rotors warping, I've heard of over tightening lug nuts warping rotors, but I don't quite understand how it does.

It just does, my rotors were warped because I let Wal-Mart do my tires and all the rotations and balances...if they over torque the lugs they are essentially putting localized pressure on certain areas of the disc causing it to bent further in areas....drive that with 6000 miles and you have a problem. Hand tighten, Hand Crank, Do it yourself. Lot better than 180.00 for 4 new rotors...
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/24/05 10:57 PM
BFH
Posted By: richs_dup1 Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/26/05 11:12 PM
There is a couple of ways I have loosened the wheels up. First is wack the back of the wheel. Next, loosen the lug nuts a little and drop the jack fast. I have loosened the wheels and drove the car to loosen them up. You don't want to be driving too far.

Rich S
Posted By: 98Ford2L Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/27/05 01:47 AM
Well I had another go at it today. Was changing the oil, and decided to try to get the wheels off so I could rotate the tires while I was at it.

Banged on 'em with an assortment of hammers, lots of wd40, and still nothing. Even dropped the car and rolled it back and forth, stil nothing.
So then I got the torch and heated and banged some more and they finally came loose. I really had to work and it though.
Then I steel brushed and sanded and put axel grease on everything, hopefully it won't stick again. Thanks for all the help guys!!
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/27/05 02:57 AM
Originally posted by todras:
Then put anti-seeze on the lugs after you get it back, or have the garage do it for you.

Anti on the lug nuts?!!!!!!!!! HELL NO!!!!!

WHY? There is nothing wrong with lock seize on lug nuts.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/27/05 04:43 AM
I changed teh Serp belt on Rawburts CSVT today and his wheel was stuck on like a mofo. We even tried jacking the car up, dropping it slightly on the ground to hopefully pop the thing off... which didn't work. After beating it senseless with a rubber coated sledge and soaking it with penetrating lube, the damn thing wabbled off. It' amazes me how these wheels corode on. Deffeintly put some anti seize on the back face of the rims before re bolting it. Take a wire brush to it, also to remove the excess junk. I've heard that you can also add patroleum jelly to the hub area to prevent this.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/27/05 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:

The problem isn't about getting the lugs off, tehy come off fine. The lug nuts don't need to be "locked" on. They are snug enough by hand. Putting anti-seeze on them will be pretty much useless in these situtation. Anit seize could acutally hinder the lugs from being torqued enough. (It says it on the tube of anti sieze I have right here. )
Posted By: TronX Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/27/05 10:49 PM
Originally posted by LilStripedRocket:
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:

The problem isn't about getting the lugs off, tehy come off fine. The lug nuts don't need to be "locked" on. They are snug enough by hand. Putting anti-seeze on them will be pretty much useless in these situtation. Anit seize could acutally hinder the lugs from being torqued enough. (It says it on the tube of anti sieze I have right here. )

I would not use that stuff on the wheel lugs. C'mon guys have some since. What happens if they wiggle off one day while driving down the road? Just clean them and put them back on. Just be sure to torque them tight, but don't over do it a the same time. I've got enough man power to strip and bust the lugs. So I don't normally have a problem getting them off. All you will see is me pushing the car up and down like a toy until it pops off. All those years in the gym were good for something I guess? LOL

*OffTopic* having muscle has its problems. Just last week I did some digging and removed a tree stump by hand with saw and shovel. Feeling manly I dragged the stump to the corner of the road for the trash guys to pick up. Then on Wed my wife said, "they tried to pick it up but it was too heavy." So I said, "that's fine all just stick it in the trashcan." So I picked it up and walked to the backyard and by hand cut it in half with a saw. Then I got this idea to make art out of it and one thing leads to another. It's now a cool looking bench stool in the backyard waiting for none rainy day to stain and paint. The other half is in the trash.

Posted By: bobbyd Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/28/05 01:19 AM
i woulda gotten under teh car and started kicking it with both feet
Posted By: SVTcontourSVT Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/28/05 04:01 AM
Anit-seeze = anti-lock

Anti-lock= anti-fuggin wheel is gonna come loose.

lol
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/28/05 02:06 PM

Everyone vote him for smartest CEG'er.

That stool thing sounds cool, Tronx. I did that a couple years ago with a giant useless stump that the weak garbage men couldn't pick up. Mine probably looks pretty crappy comapred to yours, since I carved it up with a craftsman chain saw in about 10 minutes.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/28/05 04:23 PM
I changed teh Serp belt on Rawburts CSVT today and his wheel was stuck on like a mofo. We even tried jacking the car up, dropping it slightly on the ground to hopefully pop the thing off... which didn't work. After beating it senseless with a rubber coated sledge and soaking it with penetrating lube, the damn thing wabbled off. It' amazes me how these wheels corode on. Deffeintly put some anti seize on the back face of the rims before re bolting it. Take a wire brush to it, also to remove the excess junk. I've heard that you can also add patroleum jelly to the hub area to prevent this.

LMFAO, that sucked! I did not think it was coming off!! BTW did i tell you thanks yet?
Posted By: bobbyd Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/28/05 04:24 PM

Everyone vote him for smartest CEG'er.

haha thanks , i was just kidding but that was funny
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/28/05 04:42 PM
Yeah dude, you said thanks. No problem. Y'know, I took M-53 home (instead of normal van dyke, and it took me like 20 minutes. to get home). I was shocked compared to the 1hr 15 minutes it took to get to your place. Atleast i know when I come out there and you install ALL of my audio. Those subs sounded good, what kind were they??
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/28/05 06:40 PM
Yeah dude, you said thanks. No problem. Y'know, I took M-53 home (instead of normal van dyke, and it took me like 20 minutes. to get home). I was shocked compared to the 1hr 15 minutes it took to get to your place.

Oh man, you took old van dyke all the way to my house? The newer 53 is great because they just opened up the two lanes on each side all the way up to 32 mile. Major speed trap though. It's 55 for awhile and the turns to 65. The cops love it becuase there seems to be an average speed of about 75 to 80 mph.

Atleast i know when I come out there and you install ALL of my audio.

Yeah i will definetely install your audio for ya. I've installed enough systems to do a pretty flawless and clean job, you know, no wires showing all that jazz.
BTW, i hope you can find that gromet because i refuse to drill through that firewall. I was too scared doing mine.

Those subs sounded good, what kind were they??

Those were two 10" directed subs. They are very nice and obviously loud. Your girlfriend kept looking at the ceiling of my garage, when it was rattling like a mo fo!

[thread hijack/ complete]
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Can't get the freaking wheels off? - 03/28/05 06:57 PM
[hijack continue]

Yeah, I know where the grommet is. I ran my 4ga through it in my last csvt. I was jokin about the install, I've done several in my days... but another hand doesn't help.

As for Old van dyke... here's to Map Quest. .

Yeah, my girlfriend was amazed by how loud the speakers were..... and how your car did not rattle like most POS's in my area.

[/hijack end]
© CEG Archives