Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I am another of the unfortunate people who have the 3rd gear stutter after installing the new ford fuel pump in my 2000 svt contour. I have around 50k and since installing the new pump, mostly in 3rd gear at light to moderate loads between 2000-4000rpm, the car starts to buck. Has anyone found a SOLUTION to this problem??? Please let me know.

randomds
2000 svt contour
No S#$T! I've also had this problem since installing the new pump about a month ago. I figured it was a random misfire, which honestly didn't make any sense, considering my plugs and wires were all new.

Do we know what causes this?? I'd really like to figure out a fix, as i'm not to happy with the lugging right now.

OKAY, I called the Ford hotline, basically to get Ford to determine the fix for this problem and possibily issue a recall, lots of people need to call and state they too are having this problem. so PLEASE call if you are having this 3rd gear stutter with the new pump and complain.
The hotline number for Ford is: 1-800-392-3673
When you call, have your VIN # with you.

randomds
2000 SVT Contour
Can we get a quick idea of who else has had this problem with the new fuel pump?

That way we can possibly have some recourse with Ford.

Thanks
did u guys just change they pump or the whole assembly?
I replaced the entire assembly, not just the fuel pump motor. and in response to who else has had this problem, there are a number of other posts in troubleshooting with people who have this problem. the people who have the problems seem to be anyone with a late model 5 speed manual contour who have replaced the pump.
to give you more info, i actually took my car to the dealership after i couldnt figure anything out. i paid the bastards 145 bills to 'diagnose' the problem. they came back and said, 'well we cant put a direct cause to the problem, but we can start by replacing your intake gaskets, egr valve, and evr - for $850 extra... and we will not guarantee that this will fix the problem, but its a start'. obviously at that point i said no and took my car home. my opinion of Ford has taken a 180 degree turn around for the bad after all this.
KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE !

I have(had) this problem.

I brought it into Ford for them to check it out since its under warranty and first they replaced the DPFE sensor, wasn't it, they called to confirm I was using for 91 oct, check, took a look at my trans and fluid, check and check, they called svt and to try replacing the maf sensor.

With the new maf sensor it fixed 80%-90% of the problem. its still there, but really really lightly, and its a little stronger (the buck) from 2800-3000.

My next plans are maybe replacing the tb with an opt. and a new iac, but at a certain point with a card that is only 6 years old and less than 40k km's on the odo (yes 40,000 kms), [censored] Ford in the ass. There is just way too much headache with this car.

And I can't seem to get the [censored] mileage figured out with no cel's, 195 sized winter tires, and only getting 18mpg.
Originally posted by ODC:
KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE !

I brought it into Ford for them to check it out since its under warranty and first they replaced the DPFE sensor, wasn't it, they called to confirm I was using for 91 oct, check, took a look at my trans and fluid, check and check, they called svt and to try replacing the maf sensor.

With the new maf sensor it fixed 80%-90% of the problem. its still there, but really really lightly, and its a little stronger (the buck) from 2800-3000.

My next plans are maybe replacing the tb with an opt. and a new iac, but at a certain point with a card that is only 6 years old and less than 40k km's on the odo (yes 40,000 kms), [censored] Ford in the ass. There is just way too much headache with this car.

And I can't seem to get the [censored] mileage figured out with no cel's, 195 sized winter tires, and only getting 18mpg.

I replaced the whole unit also, not just the motor.

So why were they thinking it was your MAF?? It's just really odd that this problem would come up after replacing the fuel pump, especially since my engine was strong before the old one went. I'm thinking maybe the issue is something with the amperage that the new pump is drawing. (is it at all different?) Perhaps this could throw off the EEC. I'm going to talk with a tech down at Ford tomorrow to see if they know what's going on with this. I know the pump is under warranty for a year, but if we are all getting this issue, then I don't think replacing the pump again will fix it.

Originally posted by sail114:
Can we get a quick idea of who else has had this problem with the new fuel pump?

That way we can possibly have some recourse with Ford.

Thanks

Mine does it all the way through the RPM band in 3rd....
Again, I ask you all to call the Ford Hotline and complain, then maybe they'll consider resolving this issue for us. An earlier post of mine has the phone #.

randomds
2000 SVT Contour
51k miles
Just as more info, I had my fuel pump replaced (twice within a week) when the bucking began to happen or I noticed it. The car's got so many stupid problems I just sort of give up.

I really don't think its a fuel pump issue, but the change of it may have exacerbated or triggered something.
Sometimes it helps to recheck some of the basics. You should read the FAQ on replacing the fuel pump. At the very bottom of the FAQ is a photo of the fuel pump inlet filter screen.

The biggest and most prevelent problem with these fuel pumps is that this screen is either too fine or too small or both and that it plugs up too easily. If you have even a small amount of contamination in the tank, the filter plugs up just enough to cause fuel starvation under load.

So you may need to more thoroughly clean out the tank. You may also need to do nothing more than remove the filter screen and throw it away. It isn't needed. There is still a conventional sock filter on the inlet pipe further inside the fuel pump module.

http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=39
the problem is, the most recent fuel pump they sell, doesnt have that style inlet filter shown at the bottom of that article. it has a 'sock' type filter that hangs off the side. the people who used that other- older model replacement pump, dont seem to have the 3rd gear stutter.

as a mechanical engineer myself, i truly believe this problem is directly related to the newest style pump Ford sells. if i had to guess, id say the pumps natural frequency is oscillating against another freq. the car produces in that rpm range in third gear, causing the fuel injection fluctuation. either that, or injection timing and flow rate needs to be modified for this pump.

frustrated svt contour enthusiast,
randomds
2000 SVT Contour
Originally posted by randomds:

as a mechanical engineer myself, i truly believe this problem is directly related to the newest style pump Ford sells. if i had to guess, id say the pumps natural frequency is oscillating against another freq. the car produces in that rpm range in third gear, causing the fuel injection fluctuation. either that, or injection timing and flow rate needs to be modified for this pump.

I totally agree. I was thinking that it could be the EEC reading a different impedence off the new pump (one that it is not programmed for). The frequency oscillation does make sense, however, because you can hear an on/off note with the engine under acceleration. I'm on my way down to the Ford dealership to see if any contour's they've replaced the pump on have had this problem. The issue is, we can't go back to old-style pump without replacing the tank, as we had to cut out the retainer ring in the bottom. (doh!)
Do you know if you have a return style pump or a returnless pump? It sounds like you may have the early style return type. If you have the return type, the above info does not apply.

If it is the return style, you can buy the pump only (but not from Ford). Check around. I think that BAT has them. www.batinc.net

If it is the returnless style, some have replaced the pump only and not the entire module by using a Focus SVT pump (available from Ford) with very little adapting.

I don't know if you want to try to pursue these other avenues if you expect Ford to correct their mistakes.

To really make sure that it is indeed a fuel supply problem, the car should be driven with a fuel pressure gauge installed to see if there is a drop in pressure when it is acting up.
i am 99% sure we use the returnless style. the replacement i bought from ford, was the most recent model they sell that fits the contour and included the entire assembly. i am however considering buying just the pump motor, pep boys sells one for $180. i'd put the pump motor in the original assembly. i just wish i didnt have to spend that if i am not absolutely sure that will fix the issue.

It's definitely the returnless style, as there is not a return line coming in on the pump (nor could you install one). The only issue with going and getting just the pump motor to install is the fact that I I think you would need the original pump body, which would require the retainer ring in the tank, which had to be cut out to accomodate the new pump- so now it's non-existent. I'd also hate to buy another pump, as I just replaced this one to the tune of $196.00 (garage price).
I know Ford has a 1 year warranty on this pump, but if swap it out, the same symptoms will probabaly occur.

Well, for right now i'm just living with it, shifting as fast as i can out of 3rd gear. Oh well...
some more info from my experience that may be of interest:

- the stutter typically doesn't begin until after the engine warms up.

- seems to be worse (stronger) at colder air temps.

- always most prevalent in 3rd gear.

- when strong, it is slightly noticable in 4th gear and sometimes in 2nd also, but the engine/drivetrain seems to respond strongest in 3rd gear.

- only occurs during acceleration (light or heavy) but at lower rpm.

- seems to end abruptly around 3000 rpm (even though secondaries don't open until ~3800.)

I've posted this a few times since I changed my pump last year, tried lots of unsuccessful fixes, and was starting to think I just got a bad pump.

I'll call the hotline tomorrow!!!

Thanks for the info

Kevin
Originally posted by Big Jim:

To really make sure that it is indeed a fuel supply problem, the car should be driven with a fuel pressure gauge installed to see if there is a drop in pressure when it is acting up.

Don't ignore Big Jim's advice. It is important to determine if it is a pressure problem or is perhaps a harmonic problem.

BTW, does your engine use a pulse dampener in the fuel rail inlet? My SHO has such a critter but I haven't gotten under the hood of your particular edition of the Contour to see if one is present.

Steve
first off, kevin00svt, your description is exactly identical to my cars symptoms, except it seemed to me that the effects were worse in warmer weather. but please call the hotline. i'm 99% sure its the fuel pump, is this most recent pump we are using the same as the one they put in the focus? if so, Ford should have done more testing using that pump in the contour before calling it the 'replacement' pump.

i'm not sure if there is a pulse damper, what would such a thing look like?

randomds
2000 Stuttering SVT Contour - Black..like my bleak dreams of driving this car again without feeling like a first time stick driver.
I get exactly the same in my 98 mystique ... only it seems to exhibit itself more when downshifting into 3rd.
KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE !

You beat me too it, I was thinking of you when I first read this! Take it back to mechanic to determine why MPG hasn't improved, get some answers and give them your feedback too!
I got this problem also in my 2000 svt. I thought it was just my car...
Originally posted by Cris'pus:
KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE !

You beat me too it, I was thinking of you when I first read this! Take it back to mechanic to determine why MPG hasn't improved, get some answers and give them your feedback too!

I already talked to Ford, they can't do anything unless its throwing a CEL. And to do a mileage test costs $150 and may not come up with answers.

I'm going to talk to dragonay on rs and get him to pull my ecu codes and see if the o2's are just out of spec slightly ... i'm hoping that fixes it and i can feel safe about the car
yep, same thing, 2000 CSVT happened after the stock pump bit it... I'm replacing the plugs to see if that hurts or helps, but it almost seems to run lean- but only in third gear?
Originally posted by JTruel:
yep, same thing, 2000 CSVT happened after the stock pump bit it... I'm replacing the plugs to see if that hurts or helps, but it almost seems to run lean- but only in third gear?

I have the factory fuel pump, as far as I know.
Thought i'd try to revive this thread haha, Mine has recently started doing this, but the pump has never been replaced, to my knowledge. i have roughly 68k miles on the car, its a 2000 CSVT, and this is really starting to bother me.
~Alex
Bump bump

Anyone have a data logger like the new Diablo Predator to get "as it happens" info? Someone has to have fixed this....
© CEG Archives