Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: HITMANinMI Miles per gallon... - 11/08/04 10:45 PM
only 23mpg, and PO171 every 1000 miles or so, whats the deal?

thanks for any advice on solving this on going problem.

Posted By: BCSVT Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/08/04 11:01 PM
are these city or highway miles or what? and heavy throttle will eat up gas. how are you driving the car?
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/08/04 11:58 PM
City miles, highway is like 27 or 28, I would like to get like 27 or 28 city, and 30 highway. Anyways I'm not hard on the throttle at all, I dont drive like a Grandma but I'm not hard on my car.

Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/09/04 01:52 AM
Come on guys it feels like I'm driving a Contour with a 6.0 Cadillac Escalade engine.

Posted By: starjammir Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/09/04 02:07 AM
I hear ya bro im getting 20 MPG and in easy on my gas. I think its the weather and all
Posted By: cuda06 Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/09/04 07:36 AM
i dont know what exactly you guys are dealing with bc i get 23/24 city and 30 hwy in my csvt
Posted By: renatonetmail Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/09/04 01:01 PM
I personally hit 300 miles driven with still 1/4 Tank to go. I guess cuz of all the maintenance and tune-up and hell am not granma driving... hehee
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/09/04 10:54 PM
I'm gettin approx. 24mpg, mostly highway too, is that good?
Posted By: platinum_drew Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/10/04 12:23 AM
my silly contour gets more like 21, lots of highway at that...piece of...I mean, I love my contour!
Posted By: TronX Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/10/04 12:32 AM
Mine is always out of wack. I get like 250 ~ 285 at best from full to empty. I've changed everything I can think of other than the coil. So when I hear of people getting 300+ it make me sick to think there has got to be something I've missed.

I really don't think the contour or mystique get good gas miles without some tweaks.
Posted By: ancientsanskrit Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/10/04 01:12 AM
Originally posted by TronX:
Mine is always out of wack. I get like 250 ~ 285 at best from full to empty. I've changed everything I can think of other than the coil. So when I hear of people getting 300+ it make me sick to think there has got to be something I've missed.

I really don't think the contour or mystique get good gas miles without some tweaks.

Damn brutha, that's about 16-20mpg. Do you have a cel? I'm not going to say anything on this post, b/c im getting pretty damn good mileage on mine, but I do drive almost all highway. I do about 65 miles/day, and 5 miles are probably city.

And about the tweaks, my car shows that you're correct. When I got her at 35k, she was doing 26mpg/highway. After intake and SVT exhausts (no resonator), now at 52k, I'm doing about 31/32mpg, mind you on an ATX.
Posted By: FrozenSection Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/10/04 02:16 AM
This is purely anecdotal, but a can of Techron concentrate to clean out the injectors usually does my gas mileage good. Yeah, it costs around $12, but given gas prices these days, it'll be made up quickly.

Po
Posted By: TronX Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/10/04 03:04 AM
Originally posted by ancientsanskrit:
Originally posted by TronX:

Damn brutha, that's about 16-20mpg. Do you have a cel? I'm not going to say anything on this post, b/c im getting pretty damn good mileage on mine, but I do drive almost all highway. I do about 65 miles/day, and 5 miles are probably city.

And about the tweaks, my car shows that you're correct. When I got her at 35k, she was doing 26mpg/highway. After intake and SVT exhausts (no resonator), now at 52k, I'm doing about 31/32mpg, mind you on an ATX.

Only one code P1381 and that is the VCT.

I use to fill up once a week and for the last few years it's been more like ever 4 or 5 days now.

There is a noise that I can hear when the car gets hot. Sounds like a pin whole sized air leak, but I can't find it. Do you think this would cause anything? I'd think there would be a new code if my car was really that far off.

I've got my own code scanner and I can't tell if the car drives any better or worse when the VCT code is removed. It normally takes about 2 hours of driving before the codes sets off. My guess is that the VCT can't adjust enough oil pressure to regulate and adjust the cams when the engine is fully hot. I'm sure the leak does not help either. Now that I think about it the VCT started going off one day when the car ran over big bump in the road and the bottom of the car slammed really hard into the road.

Hmmm.. maybe the bump cause a crack in the exhaust or header? But would this effect the VCT because it can't adjust enough to match the leak? Or are they not even related.

I've got many questions as you can see.

Does the VCT code cause the car to use more gas?
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/10/04 03:10 AM
Originally posted by renatonetmail:
I personally hit 300 miles driven with still 1/4 Tank to go. I guess cuz of all the maintenance and tune-up and hell am not granma driving... hehee

We have the same engine and trans, and thats what I used to get about. I drove to Chicago and back 175 miles each way, and about 20 miles in Chicago, so about 390 and the thing was just about on redline, I dont understand what happened to this car overnight.
Posted By: TronX Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/10/04 03:22 AM
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
Originally posted by renatonetmail:

We have the same engine and trans, and thats what I used to get about. I drove to Chicago and back 175 miles each way, and about 20 miles in Chicago, so about 390 and the thing was just about on redline, I dont understand what happened to this car overnight.

Dam... when you find out what is wrong let me know so we can all get this fixed..LOL

There must be something we can do about this?

I've done everything like fuel filters, plugs and wire and replaced the PCV valve.

You know the last time I was looking at my TB before I had the PCV valve replaced there was a whole from the top on the right side. It was all caked up with gunk and so I spayed some Air-intake into it and that is when I later found the PCV air leak. I'm not sure what this little side chamber was for inside the TB? My guess is that it was another air return chamber of sort? Hmmmm...

Posted By: realslimshaver Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/10/04 03:39 AM
i figured out mine last year on a 500km trip that was all expressway and after i convereted it i was getting about 32 mpg and my car is all original
Posted By: BCSVT Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/10/04 03:47 PM
[censored] zetec contours getting better gas milage. I get close to 30 highway with my SVT, but don't come close to ya'll in the city.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/11/04 01:17 PM
Originally posted by BCSVT:
[censored] zetec contours getting better gas milage. I get close to 30 highway with my SVT, but don't come close to ya'll in the city.

My highest so far is 38 MPG on a road trip, but I usually get about 35 driving easy with mostly highway and some city driving.
Posted By: Troy00690 Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/11/04 01:47 PM
My best was about 36-38 high way going from san diego to Denver. I only had 25k on it now i have 94k and i pray for 20 MPG with a mix of city and highway. I am current on my tune ups, but with the searching i have done I found out that it may be time change the IAC Valve.

Troy
Posted By: cirrus Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/11/04 03:34 PM
I get 26-28mpg with all back roads and city driving...no highways at all. My 1995 Myst has the 2L and the auto tranny and 100K on it. Alot is how you drive...esp with the auto tranny's....and some is tire type. I check the mileage every time I refuel and she's pretty consistant.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/12/04 05:28 AM
haha, i got 200 miles per tank in my 95. which is 15mpg (about, average 13 gallons). I get about 19 in my 99 contour. Not sure yet with my supercharger on. Probably way less lol.
Posted By: tktrain Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/13/04 10:13 PM
Hummm, I get a pretty consistent 26-27 MPG with my '96 Duratech in 50/50 highway/city driving, and my freinds all call me AJ Foyt Jr., so I know I'm not light on the pedal. I jack rabbit the lights and run 75-80 on the interstate. I keep everything as well tuned and repaired as possible. It has 157,00 miles on it, has 4 wheel disc brakes, and is on it's 4th set of pads / second set of rotors. I've never had a car that came close to this one in the bang-for-the-buck department, and that includes the Mustang GT's I've had (yeah, they were faster, but they cost more to drive and don't handle as well). Go figure.
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/13/04 11:52 PM
My Zetec today got 215.5 Miles with a 10 gallon fillup.... EGR Valve is now needed to replace....

If this isnt it, im gunna beat the living [censored] out of something

Also get CEL: EGR Valve NOT opening... (95 PCM)
Posted By: SixxGunn Re: Miles per gallon... - 11/14/04 01:46 AM
I was getting around 23.5 - 24.5 mpg city/highway combined and 30 on the highway when I first bought my car a couple of months ago. I ran a bottle of fuel system cleaner through it and started running mostly Shell Vpower and have increased to 26.5-27.5mpg. I got 32mpg from Chicago to Fort Wayne a little after starting the Vpower binge but havent been on a long enough road trip the last few weeks to see if the hwy mileage improved anymore than 32.

Hope ya get it all ironed out. I smother over fuel mileage and would be going bonkers.
© CEG Archives