Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: TGO Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/13/04 02:27 PM
I'm wondering if a malfunctioning IMRC could cause bucking/hesitation during acceleration. Basically, if im cruising in any gear, around 2000 - 2500 rpm, if i give the car more than half throttle she will go, but there will be bucking/hesitation until the secondaries open. My question is, if the IMRC were bad, could the secondaries open too early? And if so, would it cause a problem like that?

I'm trying to rule out the problem being the clutch...rpm's don't skyrocket as if it were slipping, though i've never had a slipping clutch before. When the hesitation happens, the rpm's do not rise or keep rising. I've done the "4th gear test" and the car stalls right out.

Sigh...
Posted By: GregH Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/13/04 05:57 PM
You probably have an ignition system misfire. How are the plugs and wires? are they motorcraft or outlaw?
Posted By: TGO Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/13/04 09:31 PM
ford racing, pretty old though.
Posted By: GregH Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/13/04 09:51 PM
put new ford plugs and wires on it, and try the imrc cleaning some people have discussed on here. I would recommend using brake cleaner (or something similar), get where you can see the imrc linkage and squirt the cleaner into the intake stream through a hose downstream of the throttle body (for maximum vacuum). operate the throttle by hand above and below the imrc threshold (about 3600 rpm) to exercise the imrc while spraying. repeat until the can is empty. Do it on a warm engine, and don't give it too big a drink at one time - it'll smother it out. Clear any codes that may get set and drive it again.
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/13/04 11:46 PM
I had the same thing now for A few months. After a few test I think I found my problem. Test #1, Put in new spark plugs NGK IRIDUMS std gap 54 ran good for 3 weeks after that runing bad agan. Test #2, New spark plug wires, look at the plugs did not look good, gap to 40 ran good but I went ahead put in some new spark plugs MotorCraft AGSF32PPM thay do not make them any more I put in some replacement MotorCraft plug std gap 54, run good for a week after that
runing bad agan. Test #3, So today I completely clean my IMRC and put in some new pulgs, AUTOLITE APP764 gap to 40 so far so good we will see in a couple weeks if she is still runing good I think I have a weak coil.
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/14/04 05:49 PM
Originally posted by mcfast:
I had the same thing now for A few months. After a few test I think I found my problem. Test #1, Put in new spark plugs NGK IRIDUMS std gap 54 ran good for 3 weeks after that runing bad agan. Test #2, New spark plug wires, look at the plugs did not look good, gap to 40 ran good but I went ahead put in some new spark plugs MotorCraft AGSF32PPM thay do not make them any more I put in some replacement MotorCraft plug std gap 54, run good for a week after that
runing bad agan. Test #3, So today I completely clean my IMRC and put in some new pulgs, AUTOLITE APP764 gap to 40 so far so good we will see in a couple weeks if she is still runing good I think I have a weak coil.

DAY 1 SO FAR SO GOOD! STILL RUNING STRONG!
Posted By: Red92784 Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/14/04 09:19 PM

Did your engine knock at all? I think one of my cylinders is predetonating. Someone suggested closing the gap on the plugs but I havn't tried it yet.
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/14/04 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Red92784:

Did your engine knock at all? I think one of my cylinders is predetonating. Someone suggested closing the gap on the plugs but I havn't tried it yet.

NO! Put closing the gap on the plugs sure made it run better. I would try it on yours.
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/15/04 11:50 PM

Day 2 SO FAR SO GOOD! I put about a 100 miles on my car, never ran better. The funny thing is it never felt like a ignition problem, it felt like a FI problem when my spark plug wires let go that felt like a ignition problem it got worse and worse after installing new wires it run better but the old problem was still there,(plugs std gap) that is when I started playing with a smaller gap of 40 on the plugs after that she runs great! I still wonder why I can not run a std gap?
Plus there is a lot of people on this Contour site that complain of bucking,surging,backfire,hesitation at low RPM and medium to hight loads. With all the great guys on this site
I can not see why we can not fine this one.
(run bad at std gap)
P.S. Sorry for the spelling and the rest it the best I can do.
Posted By: ibjamn Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/16/04 12:57 AM
Please keep me posted...ive been trying to figure this one out for a while....Have already tried the plug change/gap solution...after about 3 weks its back
Posted By: GregH Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/16/04 02:03 AM
Now hold on.. what happens when you close the spark plug gap? preignition or a misfire? If it's missing, and the plugs and wires are relatively new and good quality, I would put a coil on it and keep the gap at 52-56. During cruise, when the computer leans the mixture way down, you'll get a better light with a hotter spark. Lean mixtures are harder to ignite.
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/16/04 02:20 AM
Originally posted by GregH:
Now hold on.. what happens when you close the spark plug gap? preignition or a misfire? If it's missing, and the plugs and wires are relatively new and good quality, I would put a coil on it and keep the gap at 52-56. During cruise, when the computer leans the mixture way down, you'll get a better light with a hotter spark. Lean mixtures are harder to ignite.

Yes I know.
I do have new spark plugs and wires. I think it is a weak coil to. The hardest to ignite is hight load at low RPMs
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/16/04 02:53 AM
Originally posted by ibjamn:
Please keep me posted...ive been trying to figure this one out for a while....Have already tried the plug change/gap solution...after about 3 weks its back

What gap are you puting on your plugs?
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/16/04 11:28 PM

Day #3 My car never ran so good.
The funny thing is when I first got this car about a year ago it run great at low RPMs it did not bucking,surging,backfire,hesitation at low RPM and medium to hight loads. But it did have a mis at hight RPM in 3,4,5.
That one was easy to fin it was old pulgs.
When I remove them thay look worn out (Champions). The gap was realy wide that is why it run bad. With new pulgs at std gap it run good for about 3 weeks that is when the hoe story started. Its been run bad for the last 8 months until now. The only thing I can see is I wash the engine bay.
Maybe it damage the ignition coils maybe thats why I have to run a smaller gap (40). That is pretty will the hole story.
For now she is runing great. Maybe one day I will try a new coil pack.

P.S. Sorry for spelling and rest it is the best I can do.
Its takeing me over 1 1/2 hour to wright this.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/17/04 04:34 AM
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:
ford racing, pretty old though.

Even new...

IMRC flutter normally only occurs in the upper RPM range.

Missing/flutter before IMRC or part throttle is normal plugs, wires, bad fuel or the like.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/17/04 01:18 PM
I'm feelin' the same thing in my car.
I thought it was slack in the cable between the IMRC and the secondary linkage, but Demon nixed that idea.

My plugs and wires are brand new. Maybe 2k on them. I changed them a good month before I moved up to UT with no problems noted. On my move up to UT I noticed detonation at part throttle, then my fuel pump failed. Changed the fuel pump, haven't heard any detonation since, but now I have the fluttering at light throttle.

I guess I'll go check my plugs/wires, as it's an easy place to start. I changed my fuel filter when I changed my plugs, which was pre-pump failure. Any other suggestions?
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/17/04 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Derk2000:
I'm feelin' the same thing in my car.
I thought it was slack in the cable between the IMRC and the secondary linkage, but Demon nixed that idea.

My plugs and wires are brand new. Maybe 2k on them. I changed them a good month before I moved up to UT with no problems noted. On my move up to UT I noticed detonation at part throttle, then my fuel pump failed. Changed the fuel pump, haven't heard any detonation since, but now I have the fluttering at light throttle.

I guess I'll go check my plugs/wires, as it's an easy place to start. I changed my fuel filter when I changed my plugs, which was pre-pump failure. Any other suggestions?

Try gaping your plugs at 40 thou. And see what happens.
Posted By: LBVSVT_dup1 Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/17/04 04:40 PM
My hesitation/bucking problem was cracked ceramic on the Autolite plugs. The dealer found it and switched the plugs to Ford, but now (about a month later), I'm starting to get the same symptoms again. I'm gonna check then again in a week or so, but you may want to look closely to ensure you're not having the same issue.

Good luck.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/17/04 06:26 PM

If my car has run 75K with plugs gapped at .054, gapping them to .040 would be a band-aid fix to the problem. Don't you think?
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/18/04 12:03 AM
Originally posted by LBVSVT:
My hesitation/bucking problem was cracked ceramic on the Autolite plugs. The dealer found it and switched the plugs to Ford, but now (about a month later), I'm starting to get the same symptoms again. I'm gonna check then again in a week or so, but you may want to look closely to ensure you're not having the same issue.

Good luck.

Spark plugs are new (last week).
Gap at 40 now it is runing good. Old plugs 2 months ago gap at 54 run good for 1 week. We will see if the new plugs at 40 will run longer then a week or two.
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/18/04 12:22 AM

If my car has run 75K with plugs gapped at .054, gapping them to .040 would be a band-aid fix to the problem. Don't you think?

YES I do.
But it is better runing good with a band-aid then runing
bad with out. When my car runs bad I feel bad so a little
band-aid makes me feel good. (joke)
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/18/04 12:37 AM

Day 4 still runing good!
After I got laid-off two weeks ago it gave me time to work on my car. But good things have to end I start a new job tomorrow.
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/19/04 11:10 PM

Day #5 Monday sill running good. I think I am falling in love agan.(with my car)
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/20/04 02:15 AM

To day. Day #6 still runing prefect. I will be
stoping my daily up dates tomorrow and going to weekly
up dates. So be patient.
Posted By: 99blacksesport_dup1 Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/20/04 05:09 AM
I am having the exact problems and symptoms you have talked about in the first post.

I have new wires and plugs and the problem went away. I will try gapping the plugs to .40, this is all you did to fix it?

Is there any way to tell a weak coil pack? I really need to do the intake rebuild/cleaning and see whats going on with my motor. The missing throughout 1000-4000rpms is REALLY getting to me, and I know it can't be good for the longevity of my motor.
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/20/04 11:20 AM
Originally posted by 99blacksesport:
I am having the exact problems and symptoms you have talked about in the first post.

I have new wires and plugs and the problem went away. I will try gapping the plugs to .40, this is all you did to fix it?

Is there any way to tell a weak coil pack? I really need to do the intake rebuild/cleaning and see whats going on with my motor. The missing throughout 1000-4000rpms is REALLY getting to me, and I know it can't be good for the longevity of my motor.

Yes, I think it was only the plugs set at 40 and not the rebuild/cleaning of the intake.
To test the coil pack you will need a check the resistant. I do not have the spec.
I am going to do that soon.
I would all so check all the contacts for corrosion.
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/20/04 11:46 PM
Originally posted by 99blacksesport:

Yes, I think it was only the plugs set at 40 and not the rebuild/cleaning of the intake.
To test the coil pack you will need a check the resistant. I do not have the spec.
I am going to do that soon.
I would all so check all the contacts for corrosion.

And go with DOUBLE PLATINUM PLUGS! 100%. I USED AUTOLITE APP764
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/21/04 02:42 AM

Day # 7 Still going strong. I will be going to a weekly update now. The only thing I can think of is when I wash the engine bay the water damage the coil pack some how?
When I first got the car last year it ran strong at low RPMs
That is the only thing I can see. I hope these post help some one. I have seen a lot of complains on these sites of similar problems.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/21/04 04:14 AM
I thought about water and the coilpack...but then I couldn't remember the last time I sprayed my engine bay...
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/21/04 10:38 AM
I thought about water and the coilpack...but then I couldn't remember the last time I sprayed my engine bay...

If I remember right. My problem began right after I wash the engine bay the first time. But I am not a 100% certain.
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/24/04 03:18 PM

Well,I drove to Montreal yesterday, to see some friends and a used 2001 Mustang SVT,its about a 400 miles trip in all. Did a few high speed test and the car runs great! Wail I was there I look up a old friend of mine that I once work for, he has a ultralite aircraft egine rebuild service. We where just sitting around shooting the sh!t about aircraft and engines, I was telling him about the problems I been having with my car, that I had to close the gap on my spark pulgs to make it run right. He said thats funny he's been having problems, to with he's aircraft engines, that have a high level of alcool in the gas up to 18%, they vibrate and run bad and to fix the problem he close the gap on the spark plugs, after that they run good. I was just wondering if that could be one of are problems?
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/28/04 11:52 PM

Will after a week and 500 miles my car never,
I say NEVER! Ran better.I love this car.
Posted By: DFT_dup1 Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/29/04 01:32 AM
My Mystique with 76K miles has the same problem.

I have yet to find a solution.

I do, however, have a question.

Won't significant engine misfiring result in a CEL?

To me, this eliminates the ignition system as the source of the problem.

Early flooding problems with the car seven years ago and subsequent misfires would always trigger a CEL. The light would clear by itself after a day or two.

Comments?
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 10/29/04 02:28 AM
Originally posted by DFT:
My Mystique with 76K miles has the same problem.

I have yet to find a solution.

I do, however, have a question.

Won't significant engine misfiring result in a CEL?

To me, this eliminates the ignition system as the source of the problem.

Early flooding problems with the car seven years ago and subsequent misfires would always trigger a CEL. The light would clear by itself after a day or two.

Comments?

I would get a CEL if I held it for a long time (hight load low RPM and missing). After I drove it (normal) for a while it would go away. If I drove it (normal) I would not get a CEL even if it was missing for a short time in each gear.
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 11/04/04 11:40 PM

Week two, still running strong!
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 11/14/04 01:13 AM

Week 3, still runing great! Close call last night, ball jount fall off, holy sh*t!
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 11/19/04 12:26 AM

Week 4 still runing very good!
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 11/26/04 12:18 AM

Week 5, still runing very strong!
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 12/03/04 01:55 AM

Week 6 still runing perfect!
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 12/09/04 11:36 PM

Week 7,never ran better specialy after installing a new air intake system and a short shifter.
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 12/17/04 01:10 AM

Week 8 still very good, but my cheap short shifter fall apart today, I just reweld the ball back on now it is better then stock and still worth the price.
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 12/24/04 12:47 AM

Week 9 still running very good,and the short shiter is holding up.
Posted By: timstour Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 12/24/04 01:05 AM

Strange... I thought you were quite happy with it!
Posted By: unknown_dup1 Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 12/24/04 03:08 PM
Originally posted by timstour:

He is canadian... cut him some slack.

Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 12/24/04 03:20 PM

Am I happy with it, put after a week the ball fall of and could not shift, it was in 3 gear, I got to work not too far, it took about a hour to fix just rewelded it now it is better then stock and will not brake any more. For me it is still worth 45.00$ I do not mind working on my car and a lot times I like it.
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 12/31/04 04:14 AM

Am I happy with it, but after a week the ball fall of and could not shift, it was in 3 gear, I got to work not too far, it took about a hour to fix just rewelded it now it is better then stock and will not brake any more. For me it is still worth 45.00$ I do not mind working on my car and a lot times I like it.

Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 12/31/04 04:22 AM

Week 10, what can I say so far so good. Car is running great! Shifter is holding up to.
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 12/31/04 04:33 PM
Note I have a friend, his 95 had original wires and at idle we kept hearing knocking noise from the firewall bank. As it revved up the missing was more noticeable. Found the wire spark plug end/boot was arcing inside tube. As a temporary fix/test spread silicon rubber on the sides of the boot and let cure for about 20 minutes. (Do let any of the fumes from silicon rubber get suck into the intake!) Not good for O2's That was two years ago and he's driving that way.
IRMC it should be in the achieves, but I found my circuit board (connector pins where cracked). resoldered and haven't had it act up once. Note I never had codes even when it did fail to open. Also don't forget to lube. I finally placed a teaspoon size of yellow wheeling bearing grease on the gears. I put nylon 3/8" spacers between the IMRC and was able to reuse the original bolts. Beauty cover on, still working flawless. Did this last spring so knocking on wood it stays flawless. 54k miles probably need to be thinking about pulling the UIM inspecting how the normal build is progressing.

Paul
98 Mystique LS (07/97)
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 01/07/05 02:17 AM

Week 11, still running great! I think this will be my last post on this one, unless it starts running bad agan. knock on wood
Posted By: DFT_dup1 Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 01/15/05 01:51 PM
Good call!

I have had high load stumbling on my 2.5L for about a year now. No CEL. Plugs fine.

I reflowed the connector and motor connections on the IMRC PCB and now all is right with the world. We'll see if it holds up.

DFT
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 02/02/05 02:57 AM

Will my problem is back. I think I am going to throw this car in the garbage and buy some jap sh&t!!!!!!!!!!! or maybe a new Mustang
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 02/02/05 05:55 AM
My car had the same low RPM--hard acceleration bucking problem. Turns out my number 6 spark plug wire was just a little loose. Ford Racing wires, BTW.
Posted By: mcfast Re: Malfunctioning IMRC?? - 02/06/05 03:31 PM

Week 11, still running great! I think this will be my last post on this one, unless it starts running bad agan. knock on wood

Last week my car started running bad agan, boy was I piss off! So today I took the ignition off the car and tested my coils, spark plug wires, look at the plugs, my coils are in spec,wires ok, plugs good, so I cleaned all the parts with carb cleaner, after that with brake cleaner, then I put some ignition protector on my wires and coil, after that I put some dielectric compound on all connectors, made suer all terminals fit tight, after I install all the parts I went for a test drivr, for now she running great, we will see how long it last this time.
© CEG Archives