Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 818Contour WON'T START! - 08/11/04 10:49 PM
I was driving my Contour yesterday, waiting at a red light, and then all of a sudden the car stops running. I restart the car, put it in drive, take my foot off the gas pedal, car starts to roll and turns off again. So I restart it again as soon as I put it in drive I step on the gas quickly, turned into the first drive way, as soon as I get into the parking lot the car turns off again. I tried to restart it this time and it won't start so I pushed it into a parking space. Waited for a while to try to restart it again, tried and again it didnt start. Checked wiring at the battery, everthing was fine, tried to start, wont start. I just sit in my car for a while again and try to start later, car starts, drive for about a block and the car turns off on me again. Cant get my car to start since then. I have checked all the wiring, battery and everthing is fine. What can it be?

Was having trouble starting my car a few months ago, changed the starter, wasn't the problem. Changed the flywheel, seemed to fix the problem until yesterday! What can it be? I have had so many problem with my car ever since I bought it! It's a great car when its working and I love it but I also hate it at the same time!
Posted By: arseum Re: WON'T START! - 08/11/04 10:57 PM
How many miles since fuel filter replacement?

Do you have a Hayne's manual?

Check for leaks in the vacuum hoses.

I hope its an easy fix.
Posted By: 818Contour Re: WON'T START! - 08/11/04 11:03 PM
Don't even know if the fuel filter has ever been changed. I just bought this car last November and it seemed that the car was really well taken care of.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check for leaks in the vacuum hoses. I also hope that this is an easy fix!
Posted By: bxd20_dup1 Re: WON'T START! - 08/11/04 11:56 PM
Can you describe the symptoms in a bit more detail? Does the engine turn over? Does it sound like it will start, has some pop to it? VERY generally speaking, fuel pumps, spark plugs, air filters, wires wear out gradually. It wouldn't be 100% an hour earlier and then dead. Electrical modules, packs, and sensors fail suddenly. Have you checked for spark?
Posted By: 4banganda5spd Re: WON'T START! - 08/12/04 12:26 AM
replace the battery and go from there.
Posted By: 818Contour Re: WON'T START! - 08/12/04 03:07 PM
Quote:

Can you describe the symptoms in a bit more detail? Does the engine turn over? Does it sound like it will start, has some pop to it? VERY generally speaking, fuel pumps, spark plugs, air filters, wires wear out gradually. It wouldn't be 100% an hour earlier and then dead. Electrical modules, packs, and sensors fail suddenly. Have you checked for spark?

I turn the key and nothing happens. No sounds, no clicks. Everything else turns on, my radio, headlights, etc. I'm going to go ahead and change the fuel filter and see if that fixes the problem.
Posted By: gearhead98 Re: WON'T START! - 08/12/04 03:14 PM
if it does not make any noise when you turn the key the fuel filter will not help

does the little red light on the dash go crazy and blink really fast when you try and start the car??

also check all the fuses you may have a blown fuse
Posted By: 818Contour Re: WON'T START! - 08/12/04 03:33 PM
Originally posted by gearhead98:
if it does not make any noise when you turn the key the fuel filter will not help

does the little red light on the dash go crazy and blink really fast when you try and start the car??

also check all the fuses you may have a blown fuse

The little red light doesn't go crazy, it just stays lite for a very long time. As for checking all the fuses, I already did that and they all look fine.

What can it be?
Posted By: gearhead98 Re: WON'T START! - 08/12/04 03:37 PM
check the fuel shut off, its down near the hood release
Posted By: 818Contour Re: WON'T START! - 08/12/04 03:38 PM
Originally posted by gearhead98:
check the fuel shut off, its down near the hood release

Did that already! What else?
Posted By: gearhead98 Re: WON'T START! - 08/12/04 03:39 PM
Whenever the ignition is switched on the LED will remain on for three seconds while the system carries out a self-test and then extinguish.

The LED will flash rapidly to indicate the PATS has immobilized the vehicle.

A fault on the PATS which enables the engine to start will be indicated by illuminating the LED continuously for one minute, and then flash the PATS fault code ten times. If the engine cannot be started (disabled by the PATS) the LED will flash fast for one minute, followed by the PATS fault code ten times.

from the ford manual, which does it do??
Posted By: 818Contour Re: WON'T START! - 08/12/04 03:43 PM
When I switch my ignition on my red LED stays on for more than three seconds. Stays on for about two minutes. Does this mean anything?
Posted By: gearhead98 Re: WON'T START! - 08/12/04 03:50 PM
yeah it means something i just dont know what
Posted By: 818Contour Re: WON'T START! - 08/13/04 03:10 PM
Having my car towed to my mechanic. Hopefully he can figure out whats going on.
Posted By: 818Contour Re: WON'T START! - 08/16/04 02:55 PM
Heard back from my mechanic yesterday. He says that the reason my car is not starting is because of my wiring. He says that my wiring is all screwed up. He can get my car to start but my fuel pump wont go. If he gets the fuel pump to go the car wont start. What is going on? He recommended that I get my car rewired. How much is that going to cost me? Does anybody have an idea?
Posted By: bentleywarren_dup1 Re: WON'T START! - 08/16/04 05:27 PM
The early model contours were notorious for wiring harness problems, but I didn't think the 99's had that much of a problem. As far as the cost to replace a wiring harness.......don't even ask.....sorry... There are several harnesses under the hood, so the cost will depend on which one or ones are defective. You're probable looking at several hundred $$$ at least, if you replace with new ones. I would consider all options before I had a mechanic do a wiring replacement.
© CEG Archives