Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: stepmar2 A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/05/04 09:31 PM
After dumping all my time and money into my 200 Ford Contour SE, I have uncovered a serious problem. Torque converter seal is leaking rapidly. $2000 plus dollars to fix......Ummmmm no. I have had so many problems with my Ford Craptour that now I have to say goodbye. I am sick of the endless retardation that my car has given me. Considering I have been paying 19% interest and have no warranty on my car, I will now exit ownership of my 200 Ford Contour SE and never look back. This will be my last post so I want to make it clear.... There is a reason why Contours are so cheap to buy..... They suck! Ford really ruined my opinion of quality and I will never buy a Ford vehicle again as long as I live. Those of you who want to buy a Found on road dead....don't do it!! " YOu will always pay for mistakes that you did not bring upon yourself, and choosing Ford is a major mistake!"--- "So shall the lamb be led to the slaughter house...!" Whether you agree or disagree.... F**k Ford!!! - I'm out! HONDA ALL THE WAY!!
Posted By: caltour Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/05/04 09:42 PM
Thanks for sharing. We love you, too.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/05/04 09:48 PM
Originally posted by caltour:

Posted By: ODC Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/05/04 09:50 PM
Originally posted by stepmar2:
After dumping all my time and money into my 200 Ford Contour SE, I have uncovered a serious problem. Torque converter seal is leaking rapidly. $2000 plus dollars to fix......Ummmmm no.

Learn stick.

Quote:

I have had so many problems with my Ford Craptour that now I have to say goodbye.

Bye.

Quote:

I am sick of the endless retardation that my car has given me. Considering I have been paying 19% interest and have no warranty on my car, I will now exit ownership of my 200 Ford Contour SE and never look back.

LOL. What kind of dumbass pays 19% on a loan, for a domestic car nontheless hah.

Quote:

This will be my last post so I want to make it clear.... There is a reason why Contours are so cheap to buy..... They suck! Ford really ruined my opinion of quality and I will never buy a Ford vehicle again as long as I live. Those of you who want to buy a Found on road dead....don't do it!! " YOu will always pay for mistakes that you did not bring upon yourself, and choosing Ford is a major mistake!"--- "So shall the lamb be led to the slaughter house...!" Whether you agree or disagree.... F**k Ford!!! - I'm out! HONDA ALL THE WAY!!

You're gonna be one really dissapointed little boy when a Honda goes poof on you like any other car.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/05/04 09:51 PM
Let me know where you're selling it. I may pick it up for my youngest daughter.

I also have a younger brother who may be selling a 1998 Accord coupe with a V-6. Under 100,000 miles for around 8,000. Let me know if you're interested.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/05/04 10:02 PM
After dumping all my time and money into my 200 Ford Contour SE, I have uncovered a serious problem. Torque converter seal is leaking rapidly. $2000 plus dollars to fix......Ummmmm no. I have had so many problems with my Ford Craptour that now I have to say goodbye. I am sick of the endless retardation that my car has given me.

Mabye its rubbing off on you..

Considering I have been paying 19% interest and have no warranty on my car, I will now exit ownership of my 200 Ford Contour SE and never look back.

Bye.

This will be my last post so I want to make it clear.... There is a reason why Contours are so cheap to buy..... They suck!

I dissagree, mine has been very reliable. *knocks on wood*

Ford really ruined my opinion of quality and I will never buy a Ford vehicle again as long as I live.

If I can get another Ford thats as reliable as this Contour, I will most definately buy a Ford again.

Those of you who want to buy a Found on road dead....don't do it!! " YOu will always pay for mistakes that you did not bring upon yourself, and choosing Ford is a major mistake!"

paying 19% interest is the mistake.

"So shall the lamb be led to the slaughter house...!"

Mabye that explains why you want a Honda

Whether you agree or disagree.... F**k Ford!!! - I'm out! HONDA ALL THE WAY!!

Dont let the door hit ya. Oh hell, I hope it does. You can get a lemon from any car maker, including Honda. Its not very nice to talk trash about Contours on a Contour board.

Ps, I dont hate Hondas, I just dont like this guys attitude
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/05/04 10:08 PM
just because your car wasn't good don't say all of them are not good

we got all 4 of our contiques used. on;y had a few problems between them, O2 sensors, a radiator, wheel bearings, plug wires, parking brake cables and a water pump

know what condition the car is in before buying it, might help you out, and take care of it also, helps with having problems

but to each their own, hondas cost alot more to maintain I beleive
Posted By: lsneo Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/05/04 10:12 PM
duh honduh duh
Posted By: 10mmFeeder Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/05/04 10:22 PM
Damn, 19%, how many times have you claimed bankruptcy? How many credit cards have you maxed out and not payed on? Do you even pay bills? Atleast you don't have to worry about identity theft...
Posted By: caltour Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/05/04 10:30 PM
Do we look like the Complaint Department of Ford Motor Company? The dude needs to send his anger to FMC, not us.

If he's been a member since 2002, he only got tons of free advice, info, etc. from CEG.
Posted By: 99SVT_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/05/04 11:10 PM
No wonder you had so many problems. That is a really early model contour. I didn't even know they made them in 200. Oh wait is that A.D. or B.C.??
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 02:30 AM
At least when we drive a Contour we are driving something made right here in America- not Japan! And of course there will always be some specific cars that have something wrong with them all the time- you just got bad luck, heh, just like your car loan @ 19%. Someone like you doesn't deserve to be behind the wheel of a Contour! Goodbye and make sure the door hits you on the way out.
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 02:34 AM
This will be my last post so I want to make it clear.... There is a reason why Contours are so cheap to buy..... They suck! Ford really ruined my opinion of quality and I will never buy a Ford vehicle again as long as I live. Those of you who want to buy a Found on road dead....don't do it!! " YOu will always pay for mistakes that you did not bring upon yourself, and choosing Ford is a major mistake!"

Yeah I ya man. My car is a piece of [censored] to, every other day some [censored] breaks. First time someone pulls in front of me and I can hit them and be confident that my car will get totalled I'm doing it. I want a Toyota.

Posted By: Yankees25_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 02:38 AM
Considering I have been paying 19% interest

And to think that's the best rate he could get. Did he put it on his credit card? I rather enjoyed my .9% finance from Found On Road Dead Credit, thank you.

Quote:

There is a reason why Contours are so cheap to buy..... They suck!

At least this should have helped with that 19% interest rate. Sounds like your lender effed you more than your Craptour did.

Quote:

HONDA ALL THE WAY!!

...to the tune of $2K in repair bills if he got a TL with the grenading tranny problems that seem to be plaguing the marque these days.

Quote:

I will now exit ownership of my 200 Ford Contour SE

No wonder resale was so bad. I'd hate to see what my 'Tour is worth after 1804 years!!!! Good to know they run that long.
Posted By: dartsoccer8 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 02:47 AM
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:

First time someone pulls in front of me and I can hit them and be confident that my car will get totalled I'm doing it. I want a Toyota.

probably one of the stupidest things i've ever heard!!
Posted By: NewPowerRadio Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 02:53 AM
Umm...what excatly are U trying to say here?
Posted By: caltour Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 03:44 AM
This will be my last post so I want to make it clear.... There is a reason why Contours are so cheap to buy..... They suck! Ford really ruined my opinion of quality and I will never buy a Ford vehicle again as long as I live. Those of you who want to buy a Found on road dead....don't do it!! " YOu will always pay for mistakes that you did not bring upon yourself, and choosing Ford is a major mistake!"

Yeah I ya man. My car is a piece of [censored] to, every other day some [censored] breaks. First time someone pulls in front of me and I can hit them and be confident that my car will get totalled I'm doing it. I want a Toyota.

Hitman, Hitman, Hitman. Didn't we raise you right? Didn't we teach you right from wrong?
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 03:45 AM

Hitman, Hitman, Hitman. Didn't we raise you right? Didn't we teach you right from wrong?

Well I guess I would stop, but if this car got totalled in an accident it would be no big loss to me at all.

Posted By: cravinasian425 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 04:10 AM
i think contours may be hit or miss. back in 95 my mom bought a LX Zetec 5speed. That car was a disaster.. but what can you expect fro mthe dealer demo? within the first year second gear barely worked and there were rattles everywhere. ford service said "they one fix things that are broken". according to them none of those things were broken. However, one of my good friends had a 96 Xetec auto and hers runs great. her uncle gave it too her and bought a zetec focus. i recently bought a 98 SE Sport Duratec 5speed and i love it. it was cheap, but it runs great. its really good condition and hasnt cost me much at all. its expensive to insure, but i love this car. runs great. im sure there are some bad contours out there... as there are with all cars. we have had 3 chevrolet blazers in the last 5 years. 2 were great(first one went over 250k) but 1 that we bought for my brother was a disaster... electrical problems. only thing left you car replace is radiator(basically). they r cars. they break down. some more than others, but thats there nature.
Posted By: 99SVT_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 04:32 AM

Well I guess I would stop, but if this car got totalled in an accident it would be no big loss to me at all.

I'm not gonna lie. There have been many times I have wished that somebody would just total my car, steal my car, set my car on fire. God when I walked outside and either saw that or didn't see my car there anymore. I sure would have a big smile on my face. I could just walk away from the whole ordeal and start over. But those dreams never come true.
Posted By: ContourSVT98 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 05:15 AM
HONDA ALL THE WAY!!

You got that right. Put Honda ALL THE WAY UP YOUR A$$! LOL! Honda sucks big time. I always burn out most Accords and Civics anyways!

Posted By: Davo Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 01:42 PM

If that means you won't come on CEG anymore, please do it! And just for [censored] and giggles, don't wear a seatbelt!
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 01:48 PM

Umm you have an 8 year old car. No sh!t it's going to need parts.

Posted By: BARTECH Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 02:46 PM
Originally posted by todras:

DITTO
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 02:50 PM
Originally posted by BARTECH:

DITTO

Yes, 8 years old with 64k. I know somethings will break and it doesnt matter how many miles are on it. Like a vacuum line those break by age mainly not miles, but a power window switch at 64k, only on a Contour.

Posted By: sigma Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 03:27 PM
Quote:

Yes, 8 years old with 64k. I know somethings will break and it doesnt matter how many miles are on it. Like a vacuum line those break by age mainly not miles, but a power window switch at 64k, only on a Contour.

And only you would compare a power window switch malfunction to your cars mileage. WTF does mileage have to do with your windows?
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 03:35 PM
Yeah, your right, the car should not age at all.

I mean, next your going to tell me that the paint is fading with only 64k on the clock, or the seats are worn. Man, God forbid something shows its age!

Just because your mom is only 35 and only has one kid doesn't mean she's still hot! Her boobs could be down to her thighs still!

(If that made any sense)

DITTO

Just make sure you pick an 18 wheeler. And I hope you die! Bloody freaks like you cause us to pay more for insurance!
Posted By: dartsoccer8 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 03:45 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

Just because your mom is only 35 and only has one kid doesn't mean she's still hot! Her boobs could be down to her thighs still!

great analogy!!
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 03:47 PM
19% Tool!

LOL

You get what you deserve.

-Andy
Posted By: Frosty Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 03:57 PM

Well, first to the guy with the year 200 tour, good riddance and to HITMAN, wtf dude . No wonder peeps dont like you. Sorry I ever stood up for you. I now understand where everyone was coming from...
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 04:10 PM

DITTO

OMG, I am sick of this. From what you have told me you use your power windows 7-10 times A DAY! My brother had a 92 lebarion in 1996 and we had to replace ALL of the switches and ALL of the motors because we used them so often. ITâ??S NOT UNCOMMOIN. My mom has a 98 Pontiac Grand prix GT with power windows, about 1 year after she got it brand new she had to replace a window switch. Power windows arenâ??t perfect; in fact, itâ??s the reason why I made sure my first car didnâ??t have them, because I knew if they broke, I wasnâ??t going to fix them. Itâ??s a good thing that you like Toyota, they are good cars. But our contours are unique; sure we have to work on them a little more often then some other cars, but so what? It just means we are more mechanically inclined and when you get another car, and something on it breaks, you will know how to replace it, and not have to dish out the cash for a shop. I bought my 96 GL tour KNOWNING I was going to have to do work on it, I had to replace the timing belt about 2 months after I started driving it, then my plugs wires and coil, which was planned. My right back brake wasnâ??t planned, but that was like 60$ and I did that with the help of my uncle and father, You should know by now that ALL cars are money pits, and ALL cars that are getting older are going to need to be worked on, some more then others. If you hate your contour so much, sell it and buy something else, donâ??t bother us with you constant whining about one little tiny thing being wrong.

I really didnâ??t want to sound rude on this, or i'm not trying to offend you at all. I just want to set the record straight, all of us are sick of hearing about one little thing going wrong with your car and you want it to explode or something. "My power window switch died, now I wish my car gets totaled." I think more then one of us see something wrong with that quote.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 04:19 PM
After dumping all my time and money into my 200 Ford Contour SE, I have uncovered a serious problem. Torque converter seal is leaking rapidly. $2000 plus dollars to fix......Ummmmm no. I have had so many problems with my Ford Craptour that now I have to say goodbye. Blah, blah blah, ad infinitum.....

Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 04:39 PM
Originally posted by AliasJerk:

DITTO

OMG, I am sick of this. From what you have told me you use your power windows 7-10 times A DAY! My brother had a 92 lebarion in 1996 and we had to replace ALL of the switches and ALL of the motors because we used them so often. ITâ??S NOT UNCOMMOIN. My mom has a 98 Pontiac Grand prix GT with power windows, about 1 year after she got it brand new she had to replace a window switch. Power windows arenâ??t perfect; in fact, itâ??s the reason why I made sure my first car didnâ??t have them, because I knew if they broke, I wasnâ??t going to fix them. Itâ??s a good thing that you like Toyota, they are good cars. But our contours are unique; sure we have to work on them a little more often then some other cars, but so what? It just means we are more mechanically inclined and when you get another car, and something on it breaks, you will know how to replace it, and not have to dish out the cash for a shop. I bought my 96 GL tour KNOWNING I was going to have to do work on it, I had to replace the timing belt about 2 months after I started driving it, then my plugs wires and coil, which was planned. My right back brake wasnâ??t planned, but that was like 60$ and I did that with the help of my uncle and father, You should know by now that ALL cars are money pits, and ALL cars that are getting older are going to need to be worked on, some more then others. If you hate your contour so much, sell it and buy something else, donâ??t bother us with you constant whining about one little tiny thing being wrong.

I really didnâ??t want to sound rude on this, or i'm not trying to offend you at all. I just want to set the record straight, all of us are sick of hearing about one little thing going wrong with your car and you want it to explode or something. "My power window switch died, now I wish my car gets totaled." I think more then one of us see something wrong with that quote.

Yeah right get real. You post everyday about some littel problem, you go around looking for problems. Your misfires well about everyday there is something new going on, first it was clutch going bad, then misfires, then back to the clutch, turns out a mechanic said it was nothing, but your still looking for a problem.

Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 04:41 PM
Originally posted by dartsoccer8:

great analogy!!

indeed. so sig-afied

really though, cars get old, people beat on them and then wonder why the car doesn't run like brand new (and they also claim they don't beat on them).
It happens.
I don't think these cars are much different from any other car in its class/price range/age.
Nothing lasts forever nor is anything ever indestructable.
If you want a vehicle that's like new all the time, start leasing.
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 04:42 PM

I mean, next your going to tell me that the paint is fading with only 64k on the clock, or the seats are worn. Man, God forbid something shows its age!

Paint fading is normal, as is seats wearing those have actually held up fairly good.

Showings its age, I could understand a few vacuum lines breaking or gaskets leaking but [censored] man a switch for the window, most friends I know still have the original switchs at over 100k, and other stuff that I've had to replace already.

Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 04:50 PM
with your mentality the paint should not be fading and theseats should not be worn....but God forbid a window switch? Next a wiper motor, then the world!

Paint fading is normal, as is seats wearing those have actually held up fairly good.

Showings its age, I could understand a few vacuum lines breaking or gaskets leaking but [censored] man a switch for the window, most friends I know still have the original switchs at over 100k, and other stuff that I've had to replace already.

Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 05:11 PM
Yeah, I used to do that, the whole clutch thing was a while ago, and I was not whining or complain about it, I was looking for future information for when I had to replace it. But it turned out that there was nothing wrong with my clutch what so ever. The Misfires Where what I thought was clutch was slipping. It turns out my fuel pump is a little weak, and iâ??m not going to worry about it because I only get misfires when I really work the engine, iâ??m talking AC on, gas pedal almost the whole way down. Iâ??m not going to worry about it until my fuel pump starting to go on that last string mode. Otherwise I have nothing to worry about when it comes to my contour. Its old, I understand itâ??s going to have its share of faults. It didnâ??t go from clutch, to misfires, to clutch, it went from just Clutch to misfires because I was told otherwise, never back again. I used to be over pessimistic about it, but now i'm not. Older cars have their share of clings and clangs; it just took me a while to understand that.

I relise what I said before may make me seem kind of like an oxymoron, but in the past couple of days I have realised that worrying about stuff, or bitching about problems never solves them. If you hate your contour so much, dont [censored] about it, get rid it. I dont hate my contour, I dislike the fact that I have to do a little more work on it then planed, but thats chaos theory; if anything can possibly go wrong, it eventually will.
Posted By: R_G Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 05:44 PM
Originally posted by LoCoZ:

Posted By: R_G Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 05:45 PM
Originally posted by 99SVT:
No wonder you had so many problems. That is a really early model contour. I didn't even know they made them in 200. Oh wait is that A.D. or B.C.??

*Falling off my chair"
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 05:57 PM
Originally posted by RGSOUNDF:

*Falling off my chair"

It was a very early model they were still working out the proverbial bugs... or scarab (dung) beetles as it were...

No wonder all the problems...isn't there info under "faqs" on which models should be avoided?? Maybe some updating is in order, mods?
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Davo7SVT:

If that means you won't come on CEG anymore, please do it! And just for [censored] and giggles, don't wear a seatbelt!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! You read my mind!! Good f--king riddance!!!!!!
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 07:05 PM
After dumping all my time and money into my 200 Ford Contour SE, I have uncovered a serious problem. Torque converter seal is leaking rapidly. $2000 plus dollars to fix......Ummmmm no. I have had so many problems with my Ford Craptour that now I have to say goodbye. I am sick of the endless retardation that my car has given me. Considering I have been paying 19% interest and have no warranty on my car, I will now exit ownership of my 200 Ford Contour SE and never look back. This will be my last post so I want to make it clear.... There is a reason why Contours are so cheap to buy..... They suck! Ford really ruined my opinion of quality and I will never buy a Ford vehicle again as long as I live. Those of you who want to buy a Found on road dead....don't do it!! " YOu will always pay for mistakes that you did not bring upon yourself, and choosing Ford is a major mistake!"--- "So shall the lamb be led to the slaughter house...!" Whether you agree or disagree.... F**k Ford!!! - I'm out! HONDA ALL THE WAY!!

To base your experience with ford on only this car is ignorance....Hope you lean to grow up soon and realize that nothing is perfect...not even a Honda.

Lupe
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Roz 1999 SVT-C:

To base your experience with ford on only this car is ignorance....Hope you lean to grow up soon and realize that nothing is perfect...not even a Honda.

Lupe

*preachers voice on* "Can I get an Amen? " *preachers voice off*

Aaron
Posted By: lsneo Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 09:28 PM
yep window switches dont go out on hondas. But the window motors always go out or get really weak towards it takes lots of time to just roll one window up.
Posted By: Freakshow Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 09:39 PM
I guess I was lucky 'cause all of my issues happened within the first 2 years of owning my car so I got them all fixed under warranty. But then the SVT only has about 48K miles on it now and it's not getting driven much until I get back stateside.
My big issue is not so much with the problems I had with my car (which were a rather ridiculous amount for a brand new car) but moreso the utter lack of competence and care I have received from the 5 or 6 Ford dealerships I have taken my car into. The best one out of that bunch I could only say was "fair" with the worst being downright criminal and lying to me about needed a new rim that I didn't actually need. Not to mention the dealership I bought the car from had some assclown mechanic scratch up my less than a week old car while they had it back in to install lo jack. These sort of issues is what has turned me off from buying a new Ford vehicle. Hell, every car is gonna have some problems the important thing to me is how the company and their dealerships handle those problems and Ford and their dealerships let me down.
I love the SVT; fun ass car to drive but if the company doesn't back their product with good customer service I won't waste my money on their products. That's my opinion and you can flame me all day if you like.
Posted By: R_G Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 09:46 PM
Originally posted by SVZETEC:
Originally posted by RGSOUNDF:

*Falling off my chair"

It was a very early model they were still working out the proverbial bugs... or scarab (dung) beetles as it were...

No wonder all the problems...isn't there info under "faqs" on which models should be avoided?? Maybe some updating is in order, mods?

Overall - funniest thread of the year.
Posted By: Jason43 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/06/04 11:05 PM

Window switches break. Its normal on ALL cars, not just yours. Hell, my best friend's Integra's drivers side power window AND power locks haven't worked for months. Go troll any Honda, VW, Toyota forum. You'll find it happens to all of them too.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/07/04 04:34 AM

Dude, its a switch. I could understand if your engine blew up, but its just a switch. IMO, dont gripe until you really have something to gripe about.
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/07/04 04:48 AM
Maybe I'll stop b!tching about it. Only cost $15 shipped from a salvage yard in New York.

Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/07/04 04:51 AM
See? That wasnt so bad, was it
Pretty good price too.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/07/04 12:22 PM
You [censored] because the window switch breaks, then you go and buy one from a junkyard? No wonder your always replacing [censored] on the car...

Maybe I'll stop b!tching about it. Only cost $15 shipped from a salvage yard in New York.

Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/07/04 01:52 PM
You [censored] because the window switch breaks, then you go and buy one from a junkyard? No wonder your always replacing [censored] on the car...

Dealer wants $55, so I can buy several used switches for the price of a new one.
Posted By: 96RedSE5Sp_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/07/04 06:14 PM
Ever hear of Consumer Reports? Did you do any research at all on the Contour before you bought one? Despite what most people seem to be saying hear, the Contour was noted for a lot of things, but reliability was never one of them. If reliability was so important to you, why the hell didn't you buy a Toyota or a Honda to begin with?

Don't get me wrong, I love my Contour, but I bought one with different expectations from what I would have had if I'd bought my second choice - a '96 Camry. I've had more than my share of reliability problems and maintenance issues but if I had to make the same choice, I would buy a Contour again.

And for the guy who says he bought a Contour because it was made in America, there is a very good chance that it was actually built in Mexico. Most Camry's and Acccords are, however, made in the US.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/07/04 06:17 PM
First number in the VIN (1) = Built in the US (3) I believe is Mexico.

Originally posted by 96RedSE5Sp:

And for the guy who says he bought a Contour because it was made in America, there is a very good chance that it was actually built in Mexico. Most Camry's and Acccords are, however, made in the US.

Posted By: White99SE Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/08/04 05:11 PM
Originally posted by 96RedSE5Sp:

Thank you. I was wondering if anybody was going to bring up that fact.
I love this site
Good luck with the Honda.
Posted By: RoadiJeff_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/08/04 10:14 PM
In the fall of 1997 I custom ordered a 98 Mystique because of two reasons: It had good reviews and it was built in the USA. I made it clear to the dealer that I would refuse delivery if it showed up on the lot with a "Made in Mexico" sticker on the window. It was made in KC.

Mine has 110,xxx miles, very few problems - no major ones and I fixed most of the others myself with tips and ideas gleaned from reading the CEG forums. I'll probably hang onto it for another 3-4 years.

Posted By: TJSwoboda Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/08/04 10:59 PM
96RedSE5Sp, don't tell the rednecks what they don't want to hear; you might make them face up to the fact that an American name on their car is an image statement they want to make, and that they don't give a s*** if it was built by American union workers or by North Korean slaves who replaced several thousand laid-off American auto workers. Let them be blisfully ignorant...

--T.J.
Originally posted by TJSwoboda:
96RedSE5Sp, don't tell the rednecks what they don't want to hear; you might make them face up to the fact that an American name on their car is an image statement they want to make, and that they don't give a s*** if it was built by American union workers or by North Korean slaves who replaced several thousand laid-off American auto workers. Let them be blisfully ignorant...

--T.J.

Agreed! These "people" are no different then the "Must be made in Germany" [censored] I encounter in the VW/Audi community. Like I really give a sh!t where my car is built from. Let me guess Mexican workers are not as smart as a German worker.

It all boils down to racism and it makes me sick.
Posted By: Freakshow Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 01:52 AM
I'm not one of those "only buy american" types but please do explain how that is racist. I mean, c'mon there's a huge difference between someone having pride in their country and wanting to support it's products and someone wearing a pillowcase on their head and hating someone because of their color or background...that's just ridiculous really.
Originally posted by Sneaku:
I'm not one of those "only buy american" types but please do explain how that is racist. I mean, c'mon there's a huge difference between someone having pride in their country and wanting to support it's products and someone wearing a pillowcase on their head and hating someone because of their color or background...that's just ridiculous really.

The strange thing is we just had this topic over at www.clubb5.com. So many really slurs were thrown that they had to lock and delete the thread. That is why I said RACISM is the real reason behind it.

Posted By: TJSwoboda Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 02:08 AM
Some people are genuinely concerned about where their car was built; someone on this forum a year or two ago said that he couldn't bring himself to buy a Focus because they were being made in Mexico at the time. I still disagree; I'm going to get whatever I think is the best buy for me, out of both fiscally conservative leanings and just plain selfishness. I can respect his values, though.

OTOH, these people who scream "BUY AMERICAN!" when they really mean, "I'm a redneck and having an American name on my car is an important part of my image, even if the car was built by enslaved dissidents in North Korea" are always going to draw my ire. They're idiots at best and racists at worst. Again, though, a genuine "buy American" philosphy is hardly racist.

--T.J.
Posted By: bxd20_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 03:16 AM
Everyone loves to point out that Camrys and Accords are built in the US. But what does that really mean? The majority of the parts come from Japan. The vast majority of the engineering, marketing, sales support, etc. was done in Japan. And finally, the majority of the profits go back over there too.

Pretty much all an "American built" Accord gives to our country's economy is the wage of the person that assembles it. And if I'm not mistaken, assembling a vehicle is a drop in the bucket when you compare the materials costs, engineering, and general overhead. I would bet we're talking 1% of the car's sticker price (though I've often wondered the exact amount and have never seen a number. should be easy enough, just take the total value of cars produced and contrast to the salary of the assembly line workers in the plant).

So don't take this as "racist", you should feel free to buy whatever you want in a free market economy. But PLEASE do not KID yourself that an Accord is MORE AMERICAN than a Mexican assembled Contour.

Brian
99 SVT
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 03:55 AM
Quote:

Pretty much all an "American built" Accord gives to our country's economy is the wage of the person that assembles it.

But those Americans have a JOB. Isnt that important?
Posted By: TJSwoboda Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 06:23 AM
(shrug) I don't have a problem with my money going to a Japanese zaibatsu; however, and it's been a long time since I've read anything on this, we do need to persue a more aggressive trade policy with Japan, China and probably some other countries. Having their products available to American consumers is a good thing, no question about it. But we need to grow some balls (hell, maybe we did and I never heard, again it's been a while since this has been talked about) and not be afraid to get into a trade war. We're running massive trade deficits and letting other countries piss on our heads with their massive restrictions on American imports.

Trade is good. Shipping jobs to underdeveloped countries is short sited and stupid and will come back to bite our economy in the ass. BUT, I'm sure we have a lot of opinions on trade here, ranging from anarcho-capitalists to protectionists so maybe we should start a new thread...

--T.J.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 01:45 PM
That racism accusation is quite unfounded. The 'Buy American' campaign was not born at a backyard B-B-Q of sheet wearing hicks (probably not anyway...). It was a call to arms by the unions to support union labor, and embraced by the politicians at the time to shore up the domestic economy. Keep American dollars in American pockets, and support American workers kinda thing. It was Nationalistic in nature, not a racial divide. After all, not every American worker is a white guy from Mississippi.

Let's keep things in their proper historical perspective and not practice revisionist history.
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 02:29 PM
I'd like to throw in that I live in a large GM area...quite a few friends work for GM. I refuse to buy their product due to the stories I hear about their days at work & the people surrounding them. It's awful hard to trust a vehicle built by people that keep liquor in their lockers & brag about sleeping most of their shifts in the broom closets, fighting, driving the tow motor while drunk & damaging very expensive supplies amongst other questionable activities...oh but they're in the union

I guess the way people brag about this stuff really burns my arse...I'm sure it happens w/ alot of vehicle manufacturers, I also realize there are people that do a good job too, unfortunately I know of very few.

Maybe that's a lame excuse not to buy a car but it leaves a bad taste after hearing this crap. I admit I am jealous of the wages (although mindless work doesn't appeal to me)...especially for the lack of effort put forth
Posted By: stalkersvt Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 03:36 PM

hey hitman dont leave your windows down when its raining and your switch might work a little longer
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
That racism accusation is quite unfounded. The 'Buy American' campaign was not born at a backyard B-B-Q of sheet wearing hicks (probably not anyway...). It was a call to arms by the unions to support union labor, and embraced by the politicians at the time to shore up the domestic economy. Keep American dollars in American pockets, and support American workers kinda thing. It was Nationalistic in nature, not a racial divide. After all, not every American worker is a white guy from Mississippi.

Let's keep things in their proper historical perspective and not practice revisionist history.

I am not talking about Pro-American being racist. IIRC, there is no conclusive evidence stating that a car made here in America is better then a car made in Mexico, Germany or even Japan for that matter. That is where the ignorance and yes even underlying racism comes into play.

Look at it like this. If you KNOW for a fact that Mexican workers build below quality cars then VW and Ford should know that too, right? Why would they even to waste money on recalls?

So, they must have faith in the quality of the Mexican workers. Maybe some of you all should too.
Ya'll quit talkin 'bout us rednecks. We good folks.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 04:43 PM
Wanting or desiring a European car over a Japanese car, or a US car built in Mexico has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with culture.

I have two Fords in my garage. One of them was designed and built in large extent by and for the European market and the other was a product of Detroit through and through. The former, my Contour, is and has been an excellent vehicle befitting its reputation as an enthusiasts' sedan. The latter, my Windstar, is a piece of utter crap. Granted it's only one data point, but the fact is that Europeans demand more from their cars, and Ford of Europe, before Ford went "global" was a whole different animal than Ford of NA. Guess what? The European staff of Ford Global is still European (mostly.) German engineers are still products of their outstanding educational system, and like it or not, German cars were outstanding during the dark ages of Detroit protectionism, when US cars really were crap.

Japan makes excellent cars, too, but before TQM and the industrial "revolution" that occurred after WWII (helped largely by American industrial assistance) "Made in Japan" was a joke. It took a long time, and a string of really good products, before that reputation turned around. Now "made in Japan" means quality. "Hecho En Mexico" is in somewhat of a transition. Mexico is not known for stellar education or great engineers. This says nothing about a person's ability or intelligence, but a nation's ability to mold talent and capitalize on the gifts of its population. Does Mexico deserve its bad rep? It used to, but I've heard people say that the Mexican Contours had fewer quality problems than the KC versions. True? Maybe, but it points to a turning in public perception.

So what's wrong with US cars? US management philosopy? Unions? Yankee culture? I say all of these and probably more. Racism? Not.

Posted By: Freakshow Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Antonio:

I am not talking about Pro-American being racist. IIRC, there is no conclusive evidence stating that a car made here in America is better then a car made in Mexico, Germany or even Japan for that matter. That is where the ignorance and yes even underlying racism comes into play.

Look at it like this. If you KNOW for a fact that Mexican workers build below quality cars then VW and Ford should know that too, right? Why would they even to waste money on recalls?

So, they must have faith in the quality of the Mexican workers. Maybe some of you all should too.

I don't recall anyone here saying that a car made in mexico was of lower quality. Quit trying to make people who like to "buy american" out to be racists...it's ignorant paranoia and it doesn't fit. And I don't really care what happened on some stupid messageboard to make you think that....since when is some dumbass internet messageboard a proper representation of the average U.S. citizen?

Kinda ironic how you get mad about "racists" blanketing a whole group of people yet you do the same by saying that these "buy american" types are racists. And before you try it...I am in no way racist but I am sick of people WHINING and MAKING UP racism where it doesn't exists...save that crap for the REAL RACISM issues that unfortunately still exist.
Posted By: sigma Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 05:04 PM
Quote:

Everyone loves to point out that Camrys and Accords are built in the US. But what does that really mean? The majority of the parts come from Japan. The vast majority of the engineering, marketing, sales support, etc. was done in Japan. And finally, the majority of the profits go back over there too.

US Marketing and Sales Support is not handled from Japan; it's handled by the US subsidiaries of the respective companies.

And who cares where the profits go? The US got all it's taxes from the sale and income, and most of those profits will probably be re-invested back in our economy in the form of new facilities which will in turn provide more jobs.

So, let's see, they provided jobs to thousands of American Autoworkers, most of whom were hired from labor pools laid-off when American companies sent their labor to Mexico, they build facilities here hiring thousands of construction workers, source out billions in parts and employ tens of thousands more people, pay what amounts to probably more in taxes to the government than the Big 3 does, and in the end their cars will probably have a lower foreign parts content than your "American" car.

Take my Mazda6 -- a "Japanese" car, made from parts sourced almost entirely within the US (Engine: Mexico; Trans: Japan), built in a UAW factory in Michigan literally right alongside Ford workers now building Mustangs.
Posted By: Pre98 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 05:17 PM
I sit back, as I do my college homework, and laugh
bwahahahaha
I have to admit, pissing someone off is fun. I do it daily. I aggravate hourly and in fact, I annoy by the second!

Still, when crazy people come onto a forum and complain MY CAR SUCKS I just want to make them a Screaming Speedbump.
Posted By: TheAlmightyMe Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Matt R:
At least when we drive a Contour we are driving something made right here in America- not Japan! And of course there will always be some specific cars that have something wrong with them all the time- you just got bad luck, heh, just like your car loan @ 19%. Someone like you doesn't deserve to be behind the wheel of a Contour! Goodbye and make sure the door hits you on the way out.

Uh... Check out Honda, They're made in Ohio, illionis, and Tennesse. Since when were those areas Tokyo suburbs?
Posted By: TheAlmightyMe Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 09:15 PM
Originally posted by bxd20:

Pretty much all an "American built" Accord gives to our country's economy is the wage of the person that assembles it. And if I'm not mistaken, assembling a vehicle is a drop in the bucket when you compare the materials costs, engineering, and general overhead. I would bet we're talking 1% of the car's sticker price (though I've often wondered the exact amount and have never seen a number. should be easy enough, just take the total value of cars produced and contrast to the salary of the assembly line workers in the plant).

So don't take this as "racist", you should feel free to buy whatever you want in a free market economy. But PLEASE do not KID yourself that an Accord is MORE AMERICAN than a Mexican assembled Contour.

Brian
99 SVT

Go to your Honda or Toyota dealer and look at the Window Sticker. Listed will be the American Parts Content, this will be listed as a percentage. Then go look at the Focus and check the American parts Content. You will see that an Accord is MORE American than that focus.

In addition, your statement regarding engineering, marketing and such for Japanese cars being done in Japan. The engineering for the Contour and Focus was done in Europe. Porsche and Cosworth designed, engineered, and tuned the SVT engine and transmission as well as the suspension. How much money went from hot dogs to kraut there?

In regards to marketing; this is done on a regional basis, never global. Honda is not going to hire an Advertising firm located in Tokyo to create ads for the US market, instead will hire a US ad agency, or multiple US ad agencies (as is usually the case) for all US marketing.

Once you boil everything down to its core, nothing in America is purely "American", but rather a hodge-podge or "boiling pot" of product and labor from around the world. Much like this great Country's culture and people. Unlessit's an indeginous plant, show me one thing that is truly, purely 100% American.
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 09:47 PM
Well, I love my 1995 Ford Contour, I love Ford vechiles. Ford pretty much invented the automobile. Because of Ford Motor Company, we have the Mass production line. Before ford vehciles, Cars were expensive. I like the fact that because of the company that made the Contour, we have affordable cars. I will always be a Ford Owner. I will accept a few General Motor vechiles, but when it comes to buying a brand new car, it must be a Ford (Or Ford related). Thats the kind of person I am.

My 1995 Ford contour, is running great, and only problems she has is probaly cus i started it. But you know, sometimes a bad owner makes the car run like [censored]. I will never know. I blame the owner when a car goes wrong...
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 10:42 PM
I work in the automotive sector. I have seen spec sheets for companies like Ford, GM, Honda and Toyota. Most North American automotive companies have specs that are sometimes more than twice the tolerance than Japanese. Now call me crazy but that seems to me that the Japanese autos would be better built than N.A. But to look at one peice of the puzzle is no way to see the full picture. The reason I bought my Mystique was because it was good value for the money, good shape and low on klicks. You wouldnt believe the backlash I got for buyin a Ford. Now I know youll all might bash me for saying this but the next car I buy (hopefully it will be when I want to) will most likely be a Honda. For me they just make better products. Personally I think the whole made in US or made in Japan fight is pretty lame. Big companies will take the money and keep it for themselves. Even if a company is based in the US. That money doesnt go into the US. It just goes into stockholders pockets. The only thing Id really look at is how many people are employed by that company and where they work. I live in Canada. We make parts that are shipped to Illinois and N. Carolina. There they are assembled with other components (ie transmissions) and then shipped back to Canada to be assembled into the finished car. So am I silly to say I shouldnt by a Japanese car? The only thing that wasnt made in North America was the raw steel which was shipped from Japan.
Posted By: Kozmo Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/09/04 10:44 PM
Thought about all the cars I've had, some good, some bad. Like my dad used to say, "I ain't married to any of 'em." I would like to thank Stepmar for starting this entertaining thread, and Y'all can thank me for keeping it alive with this post.
Posted By: btrautman Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/10/04 12:08 AM
An effective trade policy can be realized and very effective in implementation if we limit exports to other countries as an index tied to George Bush's IQ level! That will solve the problem!

Posted By: btrautman Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/10/04 12:22 AM
Someone once told me that that there are only 3 things that are truely american.

hot dogs, apple pie and chevrolet....

Now where did I hear this....

Posted By: TaurusKev Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/10/04 02:46 AM
Originally posted by btrautman:
Someone once told me that that there are only 3 things that are truely american.

hot dogs, apple pie and chevrolet....

Now where did I hear this....

Yah, what did Chevrolet do for this country? They didnt make the mass production line, FORD did, therefore FORD is truely american, with Henry Ford's idea, cars should be made affordable by everyone! The american dream!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/10/04 03:01 AM

(If that made any sense)

DITTO

LMFAO!!!

I don't recall anyone here saying that a car made in mexico was of lower quality. Quit trying to make people who like to "buy american" out to be racists...it's ignorant paranoia and it doesn't fit. And I don't really care what happened on some stupid messageboard to make you think that....since when is some dumbass internet messageboard a proper representation of the average U.S. citizen?

Kinda ironic how you get mad about "racists" blanketing a whole group of people yet you do the same by saying that these "buy american" types are racists. And before you try it...I am in no way racist but I am sick of people WHINING and MAKING UP racism where it doesn't exists...save that crap for the REAL RACISM issues that unfortunately still exist.

I never said buying American products was a racist thing to do, you said I did. I am tired of a certain few of you clowns, misreading, misunderstanding, and doing whatever the hell you do with my posts. Don't make me out to be something I am not and DON'T make get warmed up.
Posted By: sigma Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/10/04 06:01 AM
Quote:

Yah, what did Chevrolet do for this country? They didnt make the mass production line, FORD did, therefore FORD is truely american, with Henry Ford's idea, cars should be made affordable by everyone! The american dream!

Henry Ford didn't create the mass production line. The railroad began using mass production some 50 years earlier in the building of the Transcontinental Railroad. Standardized Parts had also been in use for decades by many industries, so Ford can't claim that one either.

Henry Ford didn't even create the first Automobile Assembly line -- that was Ransom Olds (yes, Oldsmobile) more than a decade before Ford did. And while I realize you said "Mass Production Line", and there is a technical difference, many people do believe that Ford did create the assembly line.

All Henry Ford did was add conveyor belts to the Olds' system. While that did speed things up considerably, making it truly "mass production", his "invention" was only months ahead of implementation by the competition.

Ford did great things, but we'd all be driving cars just as cheap if not for him. It all would have happened, just a few months later than it historically did.
Posted By: Freakshow Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/10/04 06:05 AM

I never said buying American products was a racist thing to do, you said I did. I am tired of a certain few of you clowns, misreading, misunderstanding, and doing whatever the hell you do with my posts. Don't make me out to be something I am not and DON'T make get warmed up.

Agreed! These "people" are no different then the "Must be made in Germany" [censored] I encounter in the VW/Audi community. Like I really give a sh!t where my car is built from. Let me guess Mexican workers are not as smart as a German worker.

Ahuh.
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/10/04 12:06 PM

Ahuh.

my German car was built im Mexico

~Andrew
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/10/04 06:44 PM
Considering I have been paying 19% interest and have no warranty on my car

You are too stupid to own a car.
Posted By: felixdacat Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/11/04 12:41 AM
You should join the Honda Enthusiast group when you buy your new car. I have provided the address for you www.HONDASUCKS.ORG
Posted By: SAV Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/11/04 02:02 AM
Originally posted by felixdacat:
You should join the Honda Enthusiast group when you buy your new car. I have provided the address for you www.HONDASUCKS.ORG

Man don't do that! I thought it was real and clicked on it.
I thought is was real, too. Is www.bestbuysucks.org still online?
Posted By: SAV Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/11/04 02:19 AM
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:
I thought is was real, too. Is www.bestbuysucks.org still online?

Nice try but I don't buy the same trick twice.

Really...I didn't.
Damn. Well that used to be a real site. I'm surprised hondasucks.org isn't a real site, though. I mean, Honda's do suck, so why not make a site dedicated to that fact?
Posted By: SAV Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/11/04 02:35 AM
The site is down at the moment, but if you look around with just a bit of ambition, you will find the most amazing things.

Courtesy Google.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/11/04 05:16 AM
Damn. Well that used to be a real site. I'm surprised hondasucks.org isn't a real site, though. I mean, Honda's do suck, so why not make a site dedicated to that fact?

Not as much as Fords do
Posted By: SAV Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/11/04 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:

Not as much as Fords do

[gasp]

WHAT did you just say?! Can those words together be used in a sentence?
Posted By: TJSwoboda Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/11/04 06:24 AM
Originally posted by ContourKev:
I will always be a Ford Owner. I will accept a few General Motor vechiles, but when it comes to buying a brand new car, it must be a Ford (Or Ford related). Thats the kind of person I am.

(shrug) Ford had to earn my business. I bought an SVT Contour because it was the best driver's car for the money. If the Infiniti G20t had about thirty more HP and I had found one with a manual, that would've been my choice instead.

Test drive a Chrysler or an import, you might be surprised...

Just curious: What would Ford have to do to lose your business?

--T.J.
Posted By: BaBySHO419 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/12/04 02:27 AM
F**k Ford!!! - I'm out! HONDA ALL THE WAY!!

Lick Balls!
Originally posted by TJSwoboda:
Just curious: What would Ford have to do to lose your business?

A restraining order usually does the trick.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/12/04 03:25 AM
Originally posted by BaBySHO:

Lick Balls!

Posted By: 2KSESportV6 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/12/04 03:35 AM
Hey man if youre going to talk bad about our tour's then get the hell outta here you pos. This is called the contour enthusiast group not a contour basher group. I got quirks with mine but I still love my car. My sister in law bought a 93 sundance duster with a 3.0 liter and that car was a total lemon. Well all I can say to you is see ya I wouldnt wanna be ya!! Wtf would pay 19% interest on a car. Your [censored] must be bad man. I pay 7& apr on mine every yr and I went from 14%.
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/12/04 04:15 AM
"Contours don't last"... I'm glad nobody ever told this to Ross, or I'd be in trouble.

Ford's tend to be spotty. You either get a good one, or you get a BAD one. My experience in talking with owners seems like people either have a no or a couple of problems (nothing big deal) or they have nothing but problems.

On place of build. I don't give a rat's posterior where a car is built or the parts are sourced. I will buy what I consider to be the best car for the money I am budgeting. I bought the SVT for that reason, and I just chose the 6 for that reason.

If American companies don't build a good enough product, they have not earned my business. While I feel sorry for the workers, I won't buy a projust just to subsidize them.

Within bounds of reason, there is a lot more to a car than reliability. For what cars cost, we need to demand more than just an appliance. You will be driving this car day in and day out for at least the next couple of years. Never going to the repair shop is little consolation for a car you hate to drive. They will recommend any car with at least average reliability if it performs well enough. Their test ratings (which I don't agree with, except for this part) exclude reliability as a factor.
Posted By: Stryker Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/12/04 12:23 PM
you guys are funny, hes not reading these, dont waste your breath...

on a side note, i wouldnt know anything about an interest rate, my car is PAID FOR!!!
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/12/04 01:04 PM
Hey I didn't read the subject line, but I saw this thread had stretched to 11 pages, so I figured we must be arguing about synthetic oil.

So I figured I'd jump in.

Synthetic oil rocks, dude!

Later.
Posted By: BaBySHO419 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/13/04 05:18 AM
This should be our new "venting" post.

FORD ALL THE WAY!!!
Posted By: bxd20_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/16/04 03:59 PM
Originally posted by CRZYDRVR:
Quote:

Pretty much all an "American built" Accord gives to our country's economy is the wage of the person that assembles it.

But those Americans have a JOB. Isnt that important?

Yes it is.

My point was, people act like buying an American "made" Accord helps fellow Americans just as much as buying, say, a Contour. And it doesn't, period. More $$ pours into the US economy for something like a Contour than for an Accord.

And in this example, I specifically chose the Accord for my point. Please don't compare the Mazda6 to the mexican Focus, I realize where those were engineered/marketed/built.

Brian
Posted By: bxd20_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/16/04 04:07 PM
<i>And who cares where the profits go? </i>

I care, and so should others in the US. Profits are what keeps a company alive and growing, making better product.

It's also the "spoils" of your hard work. In other words, paying off your assembly line workers is all well and good, but you needed to SPEND that money to have any chance of making any money. It gets you back to square #1.

The profits come back and are able to be reinvested in a cycle that feeds itself if properly cared for and grows your company.

Brian
Posted By: Roz 1999 SVT-C Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/16/04 04:37 PM
People are still posting in this now meaningless thread????
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/16/04 05:04 PM

yep, even you
Posted By: Frosty Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/16/04 05:05 PM

Posted By: Bailey Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/16/04 05:07 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been locked already, oh well let the bashing continue....you're a prick for paying 19% first of all , if you are not happy with the 'tour fine but don't post here about Contiques being crap, go buy a honda and die you mofo

oh and by the way

Posted By: UPSTART-SVT_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/16/04 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Stryker:

on a side note, i wouldnt know anything about an interest rate, my car is PAID FOR!!!

Oh how I dream for that day

Yeah yeah, not everyone has the Job 1 car; Mr. July '94 build date.
Posted By: SAV Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/16/04 06:43 PM

lmao
Posted By: Stryker Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/16/04 09:56 PM
Originally posted by SAV-ZX2:

lmao

sorry...

Posted By: sigma Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/17/04 01:24 AM
Originally posted by bxd20:
<i>And who cares where the profits go? </i>

I care, and so should others in the US. Profits are what keeps a company alive and growing, making better product.

It's also the "spoils" of your hard work. In other words, paying off your assembly line workers is all well and good, but you needed to SPEND that money to have any chance of making any money. It gets you back to square #1.

The profits come back and are able to be reinvested in a cycle that feeds itself if properly cared for and grows your company.

Brian

Where do you think the profits come back to?

If Honda is making profit in the US, where is it going to invest that profit? In making more profit in the US. It doesn't hoard it in Japan. It's able to lower prices here to increase demand and generate jobs, or builds another factory here to make even more money. What do you think Ford does with their profits? They buy a foreign automaker or build another plant overseas.

Global companies traditonally spend very little of their profits in their domestic markets because their presence is already well-established there. Honda not only invests US profits back into the US but puts the majority of it's Japanese profits into the much larger and lucrative US market, adding further investments in our nation.

"Domestic" Automakers on the other hand have been putting their profits into Europe, China, and India to broaden their reach in an effort to beat the Japanese to the markets and neglecting new investments within the US at the cost of market-share leading to lost jobs.

Quote:

My point was, people act like buying an American "made" Accord helps fellow Americans just as much as buying, say, a Contour. And it doesn't, period. More $$ pours into the US economy for something like a Contour than for an Accord.

Utter BS.

Both are built in the US, both are going to be taxed the same, both likely have equal amounts of domestic parts content, and both are bought at US dealerships.

BUT, the difference is that the profit that Ford makes on that car (let's assume they do, even though they haven't made profits on their cars in years) will be spent overseas, whereas Honda will likely spend that profit in the US on capital projects.

Ford hasn't built a US assembly plant in 40 years, with the exception of the AutoAlliance Plant which was a joint Mazda/Ford venture. They have renovated some (Dearborn, Norfolk, and KC come to mind) -- at the cost of jobs as processes were automated. They have built a number of foreign plants though -- including 3 in Mexico to produce "domestic" automobiles, 8 in Asia, and 4 in Europe -- none in the US though.

Honda alone has built 7 plants in the US in the last 20 years at an investment of over $5Billion. Toyota, Nissan, the rest have more than 15 more between them, all built recently.

Seems pretty clear who's investing their profit within the US.
Posted By: 2KSESportV6 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/17/04 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Bull-Mtl:
I'm surprised this hasn't been locked already, oh well let the bashing continue....you're a prick for paying 19% first of all , if you are not happy with the 'tour fine but don't post here about Contiques being crap, go buy a honda and die you mofo

oh and by the way

Right on Brotha!!!
Posted By: SVT24 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/17/04 01:44 AM
Originally posted by the guy with his head up his a$$!!!:

And if this was his honda he dumped all his money into it would be the other way around:

F**k HONDA!!! - I'm out! FORD ALL THE WAY!!

Posted By: 2KSESportV6 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/21/04 03:09 AM
Im surprised this thread isnt locked yet .
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/21/04 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Zoe:
Im surprised this thread isnt locked yet .

I'm surprised it isn't dead, yet.

Posted By: AquaFBody Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/22/04 09:01 PM
This is just funny, I've been reading it for like two days now.
Posted By: Frosty Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/23/04 05:13 PM
Lol! This thread is like the energizer bunny! It keeps going and going and going...
FREAKING DELTE THIS CRAP ALREADY ITS GETTING OLD!!!
Posted By: izzodesh Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/26/04 03:02 PM
holey moley...this thread is still going?!
so the guy cant drive stick..
we should all just ignore his post..
Originally posted by contourfreak22:

so stop posting in it and it will go away!!!!!!
lol
I know this horse is beaten to death but I just spent the last 45 minutes reading it so I wanna put my 2 cents in.

I'm not into this not buying foreign or domestic thing. Considder this though. If we only buy what is the best quality and what is the most reliable, wouldn't that encourage companies that aren't making the best improve their products? It works for every product. Why do you think Domestic cars' complaints have been going down over the past 3 years? It is because the pressure of the Japanese automakers. They make a more reliable product and in some instances made better performing products. American makers responded by improving their cars. It's all what's best for the consumer. If Japanese cars suck over the next 5 years I will buy American so Japan will improve their cars to get my business once again. In the end...I get a better made car no matter who it is made by.
Originally posted by CEGnewbie:
If Japanese cars suck over the next 5 years I will buy American so Japan will improve their cars

Oh...ok
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
Originally posted by contourfreak22:

so stop posting in it and it will go away!!!!!!

Yeah! what he said!

oops , guess I'm to blame.
Posted By: Frosty Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/27/04 05:47 PM
Originally posted by 99contourdriver:
Lol! This thread is like the energizer bunny! It keeps going and going and going...

Lol
Posted By: rouar Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/27/04 06:15 PM
Originally posted by izzodesh:
holey moley...this thread is still going?!

It wasn't "still going" till you decided to post in it several days later ... this thread was nearly reaching the second page for me in the forum.
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/27/04 06:53 PM
Posted By: Frosty Re: A final farewell to all CEGers - 07/27/04 09:05 PM
Originally posted by SVZETEC:

Ah yes...like I said b4
© CEG Archives