Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Hey, guys
I just bought this jessie, a '96 Zetec and was wondering
who produced the vehicle. The archives show me Mazda,
Euorpean Ford,some possible Porshe influence, Cosworth?
I just wanna know where the critter came from.
Thanks
Originally posted by joelchunn:
Hey, guys
I just bought this jessie, a '96 Zetec and was wondering
who produced the vehicle. The archives show me Mazda,
Euorpean Ford,some possible Porshe influence, Cosworth?
I just wanna know where the critter came from.
Thanks

If you're actually serious, it's a Ford built in America ( at least mine was...Kansas City). I think some may have been built in Mexico as well. It's based on the European Ford Mondeo. The Duratec V6 engine was developed with engineering from Porsche and built using the Cosworth casting process. I'm not sure of the Zetec engine heritage. The CD4A automatic transmission was also used in the Mazda 626. If I'm wrong about any of this, I'm surte someone will set the record straight.
By the way, welcome to C.E.G. You'll find this site to be a great resource for useful information. There are some very knowledgeable, helpful people here
go to the main website and look at the FAQ's, also look up the car in Edmunds.com 'Used Car info' for more.
I call prank?!?
Originally posted by gearhead:

If you're actually serious, it's a Ford built in America ( at least mine was...Kansas City). I think some may have been built in Mexico as well.

Yeah, what's up with this. I think mine was unfortunately built in Mexico. All the specifications for tire pressure and such on the driver's door are in Spanish. I didn't know what to think until now, but some were built in Mexico?
My 96SE was assembled at the Cuautitlan, Mexico plant. My wife's 98SE was assembled in Kansas City. My "Mexican" Contour has noticeably BETTER build quality than my wife's "American" Contour. YMMV
All SVT's were built in Kansas City, USA. My 92 was hecho en Mexico. It's about 50/50.
Invasion of the noobs. Next we will see someone ask if they still make Contours and if they can order a new one.
Originally posted by todras:
All SVT's were built in Kansas City, USA. My 92 was hecho en Mexico. It's about 50/50.

I have an SVT and I have spanish text everywhere
My VIN claims to be of Mexican decent, but the sticker on my back window says KC. So figure.
2k green don't be so harsh, we are all noob at one time or another
Originally posted by Beowulf:
My VIN claims to be of Mexican decent, but the sticker on my back window says KC. So figure.

Look at the inside of the driver's door jamb, it will tell you.

Oddly enough, general consensus around here (based on previous debates way back in the day) is that the Mexican-built Contours are more reliable than the KC-built ones. I've had a few problems with my Mexican-built one but it's never ever left me stranded on the side of the road and I don't experience any random rattles or squeaks often complained about on here (a sign of good build quality).
Originally posted by todras:

'92????? Contour????
© CEG Archives