Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: R_G The Future of Our Cars - 05/25/04 10:16 PM
I been going thru the "Classifieds" section of our Web site, and I saw than many of the most famous CEG cars, the ones that their owners put gazzilions of hrs and heaps of moolah into, are now on sale.

The turbo ones, the 3L ones, and what have you - their respective owners are letting 'em go.

I feel kinda depressed. I realize that it's always a time to move on, but I kinda hoped that the spirit of enthusiasm is gonna keep us afloat for more years to come...

What are your thoughts, fellas?
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/25/04 10:22 PM
You can see it by the number of new CEGers over the last few months.

Our cars are getting older, becoming more affordable (cheaper) for younger people to purchase.

The "old" CEG crowd is getting older, making more money and looking for more. More refinement, more luxury, more power, more options, etc.

Not very many 30-somethings want a discontinued, high milage, problematic, decontented, underpowered (by today's standards) car with a small aftermarket and low resale value.

It sucks, but it's true.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/25/04 10:29 PM
Give it a couple of years there will be a huge contour revivial. Contours will become the rarest car ever and Ford will be forced to sell the mondeo here.
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/25/04 10:33 PM
SAY IT AINT SO!!! Pete does make a good point, as I am one of those kid's, but I still like to think that the SVTC draws a slightly higher caliber and more knowledgable class of buyers, than say the cheaper, easily modded, and more well known "fast" cars of today. I know my old DSM club (don't want to start a debate here, just stating what I've experienced) had quite a few kids my age that didn't know jack about engines or engine theory. They just seemed to know that a turbo, NOS sticker, Body kit, and loud muffler(even if it does sound like a fart) meant a car was fast.
Posted By: R_G Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/25/04 10:47 PM
Yeah, I was kinda thinking about myself and my situation - putting all this money into a car - that as SVT Pete pointed out - well ya'll know the truth... Well, I guess it's all about love or passion.

When I started mod'ing my car, a friend of mine who used to be heavily involved in mod'ing his told me, "And when/after u do whatever is capable to do to your car and beyond that, you will probably end up buying a new one..."

It ain't about the money though, since I don't expect to get even 30% of my investements, and I am wondering - though understanding the reasons - how ppl can even dream about getting 15 thous for a Tour, signed by Henry Ford himself or not. It's just about observing how ppl wave good bye to something that was a great part of their lives...
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 01:40 AM
Whatever happens, I will always keep my Contour GL, along with my future Contour SVT

I love the Contour, Im just very depressed to know ford is too stupid to not continue it...
They brought back Thunderbird, now its time to bring back Contour
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 01:46 AM
They brought back the t-bird and it hasn't sold very well at all.
Posted By: Nate S Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 01:48 AM
its funny...ive often wondered that exact same question....
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

Price is bad...
I would LOVE a Thunderbird... but damn... Put my moms car, dads truck, my contour, and my brother's Truck, you wouldnt even come close!!!! Can even put my grandparents car, and some of my other family members cars in that sale... Thats how expensive that would be... Which is why not many people own one, many people I know want it, but when your offering it at same price as a nicer car, they will go for the nicer car (Maybe, T-bird vs a Lincoln LS)

T-bird = $38,040 (MSRP)
It has a 3.9L DOHC 32V V8 Engine at 280 HP @ 6000 RPM

Pay more, get a Lincoln LS = $40,355
Same engine (V8 at same HP)
the Lincoln has more looks to it, honestly id get me a Lincoln LS over the Thunderbird, both are lowest models (with powerful engines)

Therefore, there is your reason the Thunderbird isnt going well...
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 02:30 AM
Actually it hasn't sold well due to demand. The demand for a non-high performance (not that it's a slouch) vert/removable hard top 2 seater just isn't there. Ooo and my friend's mom has one and yes it's pretty nice, but like I said, the demand just isn't there.
Posted By: blktour Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 02:32 AM
man i just got my csvt about 6months ago and then i read this. man is this the one thing i dont want to read. man i really love the car and i cant see why there is not alot of aftermarket parts for it.
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 02:33 AM
Actually it hasn't sold well due to demand. The demand for a non-high performance (not that it's a slouch) vert/removable hard top 2 seater just isn't there. Ooo and my friend's mom has one and yes it's pretty nice, but like I said, the demand just isn't there.

People who want one, tell me the price is wrong...
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 03:04 AM
Originally posted by blktour:
man i really love the car and i cant see why there is not alot of aftermarket parts for it.

Ford hasn't made a Contour for four years and a Cougar for two. As more and more of our cars make their way to the boneyard ('95s are now approaching 10 years) the aftermarket companies lose more and more customers. It just doesn't make economic sense for these companies to produce parts for a dead platform. We have a pretty decent aftermarket as it is, with forced induction, suspension upgrades, brakes, etc. There's still a nice selection of parts to choose from if you look.
Posted By: ebean Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 03:09 AM
if I have to save up for a new hotrod I'm out to buy a ford GT I mean dang that car is what I want in a head turner. looks, speed, and a big price tag
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 03:27 AM
Originally posted by hetfield:
We have a pretty decent aftermarket as it is, with forced induction, suspension upgrades, brakes, etc. There's still a nice selection of parts to choose from if you look.

Hell there is 5-10 times as much now as there was when the car was in production. No lie!

Back when there was one intake, one exhaust, one set of springs, not much else, et cetera.

The choices may still be slim "comparatively" but the choices are all fairly high quality and what do you expect for a near half decade discontinued 4-door old folks rental car anyway.
Posted By: Beachboy_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 03:40 AM
Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:

Our cars are getting older, becoming more affordable (cheaper) for younger people to purchase.

The "old" CEG crowd is getting older, making more money and looking for more. More refinement, more luxury, more power, more options, etc.

Not very many 30-somethings want a discontinued, high milage, problematic, decontented, underpowered (by today's standards) car with a small aftermarket and low resale value.

It sucks, but it's true.

You're absolutely right, those of us that bought these cars brand new are trading them in for something more appropriate to our lifestyles. I'll be trading mine in a year or less, and my new car is going to reflect my middle-age tastes (and most likely be Asian). Many of these cars are on their second, third, or more sets of owners, and many of the Contours I see around the town I live in are being driven by people who appear to be lower income, and the cars show it....dents, missing hubcaps, etc. I don't foresee these cars becoming desirable again, where people want to spend thousands restoring them. Certainly they won't have the restoration appeal of '60's Mustangs or T-Birds. When was the last time you saw anybody trying to restore a Tempo or Granada?
Posted By: BiggsvT28 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 03:55 AM
I've noticed we are getting an increasing number of idiots coming on ceg. I still like to think of the svtc as a true enthusiast's car
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 04:21 AM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Hell there is 5-10 times as much now as there was when the car was in production. No lie!

Back when there was one intake, one exhaust, one set of springs, not much else, et cetera.

The choices may still be slim "comparatively" but the choices are all fairly high quality and what do you expect for a near half decade discontinued 4-door old folks rental car anyway.

No joke! Back in 2000 the aftermarket was pretty non-existent. Now there are more parts anyone can afford to buy. I just wish the B.A.T. catalog would reach 100% complete.
Posted By: SVTMike_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 04:33 AM
This same thread has been coming around every couple months for a couple years now and CEG is still here! Contour enthusiasts arenâ??t going anywhere.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 04:45 AM
Originally posted by ContourKev:

People who want one, tell me the price is wrong...

This may be true. But not even that many people want them. And like you're saying, the few that do can't afford it.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 05:22 AM
Originally posted by SVTMike:
This same thread has been coming around every couple months for a couple years now and CEG is still here! Contour enthusiasts arenâ??t going anywhere.

I bought my car a few years ago with 28K and I plan on driving it into the ground, so nnedless to say Ill be around for the long run! I am sure that others will be too. Once I am done paying off the student loans I have racked up, I can buy a nice 2 seater and use the tour as the winter driver
Posted By: Paul Kienitz_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 05:51 AM

You'll notice that for the last couple of years the car market has been flooded with fancy powerful expensive prestige models. This is because there's a lag of several years between when they decide what to make for new models, and when it's sold... and several years ago we were all rich and enjoying boom times. Now a lot of the car companies are stuck with showrooms full of overpriced luxury crap that not nearly enough people can afford to budget. So it's nothing that special about the Tbird itself -- the same thing is happening to different companies.
Posted By: GrooveNerd Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 06:03 AM
I bought my SVT new, and except for a few problems, have really enjoyed the car. I STILL get compliments on it after all seven* of these years! Even from chicks. It really is a well-designed, nice-looking car. It's not some trendy fad look that goes out of style in a year or two. Plus, you don't see them everywhere like the ricer cars. "Oh wow, another Honda... Whoopee..." Yes, it would be nice if it were easier and cheaper to get some more power out of them, but they're still fun to drive! And there are a fair amount of parts available. Plus, they do handle quite well -- especially with some suspension mods!

One benefit of having a slightly older car, is that damaged ones are now showing up in the pull-it-yourself junkyards. Their prices are a lot lower than the they-pull-it kind, so now it's even less expensive to re-content, etc. In fact, I'm re-contenting my inside door handle lights right now. Anyway, I plan on keeping the car for many more miles of track days, commutes, road trips, etc.

Marty

*Yes, I got the car in May of 1997, so it has been seven years. It was kinda nice having a "new" car for a year-and-a-half!
Posted By: darpinian Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 06:06 AM
If its that serious...you can just upgrade to a Mazda 6. That seems to be the new contour.

~darp~
Posted By: aspsocio Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 01:53 PM
im one of those kids who can now afford a tour (im on my second SVT) and i dont plan on getting rid of mine anytime soon, so the future is ME!
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 03:01 PM
The people may be selling their cars, but the people themselves still stick around.
They just can't get away
mwahahahha
A lot have bought different cars, tried to find groups equal to CEG to match their cars and always come back with great things to say about the people of CEG, and they never leave.

It's the E in CEG that make this place what it is.
don't get down about the car sales.
Posted By: 98SVT_LEO Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 03:44 PM
The thought of selling mine has crossed my mind many of time, but seeing how I would be lucky to get half of what I paid for it.......NO WAY....it has NEVER given me any problems and is paid off....so the svt is a keeper....

although that new WRX-STI sure is sweet for 29k
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 04:15 PM
I plan on freeze-drying my contour.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 04:53 PM
Some folks are project oriented. They've just gotta be tinkering, no matter what car they own.

I'm still the first and only owner of my 96, and I don't see myself getting rid of it, though I have been tempted. There are a lot of nice rwd cars out now with decent hp, whereas there really weren't that many just a couple of years ago. And those 90's BMWs are getting more affordable. And Porsches.

Funny thing is, I see the same types of people on the PCA boards. People with garage queens that they'll never get rid of, much less drive, and people with one driver and one project.

Anyway, I see a lot of banged up GLs out there, and the rare, early SE that's actually in decent shape. I see the same thing with 914's, 924's, and 944's. I've even seen some ragged out 911's. The most common compliment I get from people is that they were sure my car was newer, maybe a 2000 model.

I don't know. Maybe it will be in my family until it disintegrates. Maybe when it's no longer roadworthy, it's time for the stripped interior and the roll cage. Maybe I'll keep it running and pass it on to my kids when they start driving in 8 years. Should have a fine patina by then.

And whoever compared this car to the Tempaz...

First of all, believe it or not, there are Tempaz enthusiasts.

Secondly, this car is not born of the Tempaz, but of the Sierra/XR4Ti. There are very few clean examples left, but they are out there, and people hang onto them. And they still get parts.

Does the average person know what this car is?

Funny thing, one of my coworkers just bought a 98 Contour with the V-6 and MTX for her daughter. Her comment? "Gosh, it's pretty quick. I was surprised." Surprised? You're buying the car and you didn't know?

Anyway, who cares about the average person. Car enthusiasts recognize the Contour, and that's why it will live forever.
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 05:26 PM
Originally posted by darpinian:
If its that serious...you can just upgrade to a Mazda 6. That seems to be the new contour.

~darp~

It's what I have been saying. Next year, Ford brings out a new mid sized car, was to be called Futura. No name selected yet.

No, Ford isn't ever going to "bring the Mondeo here" and the Contour name won't come back. Just move on to newer cars, but in the mean time, CEG is still humming.

"I've noticed we are getting an increasing number of idiots coming on ceg. I still like to think of the svtc as a true enthusiast's car "

There's been "idiots" on these forums since day 1.
Posted By: Nu-Pro Racing Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 06:02 PM
I am putting more wrench time and money into this Show/driver tour, than most of the guys and girls on the CEG.. A handful of other CEG'ers have done the same, and the reason is plain and simple, its a challange, its different and no one else has. Period...Go to some of the more modified tours on here and tell me the lines dont blow other models away., and get you excited, I know it does cause you would not be here other wise...Ford had a winner in terms of its look for the contour, they just could not put it up against the mustang in terms of sales.. From the base model up to the SVT the cars were economic and reliable... Back in the late 90's a 200 HP car was the premire Tour the SVT , now those standards for HP are very very common.. If Ford had the contour as a high performance machine it would have hurt the flagship sports car for them...the mustang... which looks like ass in comparison to a CSVT..Well not the new 05 stang..I have to say that looks really good, for a 2 door...
More and more young people are drivng there own cars now verses driving mom and dads cars. They can afford these cars, hell you can now go and get a SVT for 5,6,7, 8 grand and have a super nice car not to mention the lower models are now selling for 2 grand.... THe tour even at 10 years old looks modern, has a look that did not show its age, and is very very affortable to these younger people. I own 2 now and my brother after seeing ours and seeing all the mods here at the shop went out and bought a SVT back in Boston.. They are great little cars and thanks to our for fathers here at the CEG we now have more stuff to hook up the cars with SO I want to thank you guys with the dreams and determanation to go out and make this possible for the rest of us....
Posted By: Dan Nixon_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 06:36 PM
Hey, it may be the only 4-door SVT ever made.

And the nicest looking...
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Dan Nixon:
Hey, it may be the only 4-door SVT ever made.

And the nicest looking...

Don't forget the ZX5 SVT. Oh yea you said nicest looking.
Posted By: LilTour Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 10:08 PM
Im 20... Iv had my 96 GL ATX for 5 years now... I got a job at 15.. bought the car to learn on.. and Im still driving it.. until about 3 weeks ago.. when the transmission self destructed... got it at 18k 64K ... wow.. I loved every minute of the miles I put into liltour..

I even spent 3,000 on new paint with a lifetime warrenty.. Midnight Blue, with pearl / metal flake.. awesome.. After I get the transmission fixed, im going to 2 tone the car.. White on the bottem, with the ding guards removed.. Im keeping my tour.. reguardless.. I love it.. I will purchase other cars in the future.. but I will drive this car till the wheels fall off... then ill put them back on... I put that on my life..

This car is reliable.. dont get me wrong.. it has problems.. but so does every car.. reguardless if the name says Honda.. or something else.. all cars have problems, bottem line..

1 water pump, 1 alternator, 3 window regulators, 2 o2 sensors, 4 sets of tiers, lateral link, fuel filter, thermostat, timing belt, 2 serpientine belts, and the stupid ass cup holders.. thats all that has really broken.. and I am impressed.. its never left me stranded... never..

The car gimped home about 1 - 2 miles.. with the tranny sounding like rocks where inside it.. As soon as i parked it.. it woulnt move a jiggle.. Close.. but iv never been stranded..

Shes a soldier.. and im taking this time to Salute LiL Tour.. and ford.. reguardless of how everyone flames on them.. because without ford.. this group of people would have never met..

Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/26/04 10:41 PM
Heh, got enough "..." in there LilTour??!
On the "Ford" token, I do (as I am sure many Contour owners do) get alot of crap for it being a "Ford", but then 2 weeks later that same person is complaining about how their engine is leaking oil, or the windows stopped working, or the brakes are making noise, or the radiators leaking.... I could go on and on, but plain and simple, I think this is one of the best Ford's that ford has put out. Reliable, quick, appealing, low insurance, 4 doors, FWD, MTX, and only a few predictable quirks that need replacement every now and then.
Posted By: LilTour Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 12:01 AM
Originally posted by PlatoSVT:
Heh, got enough "..." in there LilTour??!
On the "Ford" token, I do (as I am sure many Contour owners do) get alot of crap for it being a "Ford", but then 2 weeks later that same person is complaining about how their engine is leaking oil, or the windows stopped working, or the brakes are making noise, or the radiators leaking.... I could go on and on, but plain and simple, I think this is one of the best Ford's that ford has put out. Reliable, quick, appealing, low insurance, 4 doors, FWD, MTX, and only a few predictable quirks that need replacement every now and then.

lol... the ... are my thinking dots.... yeah...
Posted By: unisys12 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 12:19 AM
Originally posted by PlatoSVT:

I hear that from my dad alot. this past weekend, we took a little vacation and on the way back home, we stopped off the visit my parents. He wanted me to look at his car, 97 Buick, and see what was wrong with it. It had died on him three times in the past month or so. I had a feeling what it was, but said I would anyway. We go out for a drive and sure enough, it dies... in best place of all, an intersection! Well, just being me, I jump out and just hold my hands up and yell, "No problem here people! Got it all under control! Move along!" LOL! Anyway, it was the fuel pump. We get it started and make it back home fine.

Once back home, we sit there talking about all the stuff he has had to do to it since he bought it (used) about 2 years ago (engine, muffler, struts two times, rear shocks three times and two fuel pumps) and said that it might be time to start thinking of getting something else. I said, "Maybe".

A little later, he asked me how my car was holding up and I tell him that my struts were starting to show their age (a little over a year and a half old and well over 50K miles) and that I needed to start looking for some more. And he goes off, shaking his head saying, "D@mn son, you have put so much into that thing and it just keeps letting you down! When in the world are you going to get rid of that thing and get something else?". I quickly did a comparison between our cars; keeping mind what their purchase price was, length of ownership, total money spent on maintaince and total spent of repairs, as well as total mileage driven on the cars since purchuse.

Let's just say that he did not mention anything else about it the rest of the weekend because I beat him hands down. Even including my mods!
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 12:22 AM
Originally posted by {Kontofosho}:
I've noticed we are getting an increasing number of idiots coming on ceg. I still like to think of the svtc as a true enthusiast's car

A True Enthusiast IMO is someone who would truly love their Contour/Mystique. I Personally LOVE my contour GL, I never plan to get rid of her, sure she isnt the best, but to me, its a very great machine. I NEVER intend to sell her. I will keep my Contour GL when I grow up, and then when I Get my CSVT, I will continue to hold the GL, yet I would treat both the Contours both equally, and care for both of em! That IMO is a true Enthusiast. Not someone who is "Well, this new Mazda 6 is way better, bye Contour!" Reason I came to CEG was 1. The words "contour" and "enthusiast" in the same line, 2. The very large population it had of other fellow Contique owners.

People can say what they want about my Contour, but why should they care, its my car, I am most confortable driving a contour than a lot of other cars I have drivin
Posted By: AT6svo Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 12:24 AM
I can certianly see the direction you are all looking towards here but my other car of passion, the SVO Mustang is already "at" where the Contour will be heading. The same series of events took place with the classic mustangs as well, except they are now on the "other" side of the fence. They are definetly well into the re-bound phase where as the fox chassis mustangs are at their near bottom end of the cycle. Dirt cheap, still fairly easy to find, and only people that really want them are enthusiasts. The contour is now on the beggining stages of that decline. While certainly it will never have the following similar to that of the classic mustangs (it is posible however) they will indeed rebound. Untill then the will continue to decline in value and in desire by the average consumer. It is also during this time you find the true enthusiats taking advantage of that fact. Thats why I currently own 6 fox chassis mustangs, 3 of them being SVO's. Time will tell, but it's sad to watch it all happen right before your eyes.

Thats my $.02
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 12:27 AM
Originally posted by SVT ST PETE:

It sucks, but it's true.

But there is the young 20's group like myself. That have these cars. And like myself, are modding the hell out of em. I don't think it will die, but CEG is gonna suck at some point in the near future.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310464

Page 2 is my mods list, and I know it is hella incomplete.

I concur.
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 01:09 AM
I plan on keeping mine forever. I mean whats the use of selling a car I have put over 10,000 into. Not to mention blood, sweat and tears. I want to get a CSVT sometime soon. Just need to collect some cash. With the prices on them we should all go out and buy them all up!
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 01:19 AM
Originally posted by skrilla187:
I plan on keeping mine forever. I mean whats the use of selling a car I have put over 10,000 into. Not to mention blood, sweat and tears. I want to get a CSVT sometime soon. Just need to collect some cash. With the prices on them we should all go out and buy them all up!

Exactly, Why work hard if I didnt plan to keep it?
When my Engine/Transaxle go, ill rebuild it, or get it rebuilt
I dont plan to be poor
Posted By: R_G Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 02:03 AM
Originally posted by skrilla187:
I plan on keeping mine forever.

So do I
Posted By: igorek84_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 02:26 AM
For those of you who are saying that contour doesn't have enough power for "today's standards" are a bit off... I used to have a '95 GL V6 MTX (blew the engine) and that thing could fly.
Now I have a 2001 Daewoo Lanos Sport (hatchback), it looks hot (with a few mods)... but damn it's slow after stepping down from a Contour.
Posted By: gearhead_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 02:37 AM
I still like to think of the svtc as a true enthusiast's car

Car and Driver magazine agreed when they put it on the 10 best list in '95 and '96 IIRC. I also agree.
Posted By: Josch_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 04:01 AM
Originally posted by igorek84:
For those of you who are saying that contour doesn't have enough power for "today's standards" are a bit off... I used to have a '95 GL V6 MTX (blew the engine) and that thing could fly.
Now I have a 2001 Daewoo Lanos Sport (hatchback), it looks hot (with a few mods)... but damn it's slow after stepping down from a Contour.

To me, 'today's standards' means gutlessness, but fuel efficient

My V6 Contour is by far the slowst car I've ever owned!

Before, I'd always owned V8 Mustangs that could eat the Contour every time. I consider the Contour as my somewhat sporty 'grocery getter', and nothing more. When it wears the rest of the way out, I would rather buy me a Lancer Evo VIII and then I'd at least have a fuel efficient car that could go low 13s with exhaust and 2 other mods

But for now, I do love my Contour still. It has served it's purpose well, but soon it will be time to move on
Posted By: MarkO_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Josch:
....... When it wears the rest of the way out, I would rather buy me a Lancer Evo VIII and then I'd at least have a fuel efficient car that could go low 13s with exhaust and 2 other mods.......

EVO ? Fuel efficient ?

Tell me another one !
Posted By: Stryker Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 06:31 AM
what would be the point of selling it? to get 2K for it...or worse, 750 for it on a trade? screw that, this car is worth more to me than anything i own right now... ford made a great car. and the frickin knew it.

i have 3 things to say about my contours.

1- it has never stranded me. i have had 2 contours (this one and the one before it a 1997 GL sport...totalled...this was before i knew about CEG), the first one never had a single problem...196K and never so much as a muffler going out. she never stranded me, and i have no reason to think that this one will. shes strong as an ox in terms of reliability. when this engine goes, ill spend 400 dollars on a used zetec and drive it for 250,000 more miles...

2- Insane gas milage. my frined in his eclipse is filling up once a week (gen 1 turbo). i fill up once every 2, sometimes 3.

3- outstandingly fun to drive. 'nuff said.

i get dissed all the time because its a ford...but i dont care. i love it and i could care less what anybody else thinks. i am a tinkerer as well, so i am always doing something with it even if its just cleaning. you take care of your car and you will be taken care of.

bottom line, i would take my MTX GL over my coworkers 1998 Acura 3.0CL (coupe) any day of the friggin week. or most any car for that matter. easy choice. i love not having to spend all of my time fixing my car, casue that leaves me more time (and $$$$) to make it better.

Posted By: Josch_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 01:12 PM
Originally posted by MarkO:
....... When it wears the rest of the way out, I would rather buy me a Lancer Evo VIII and then I'd at least have a fuel efficient car that could go low 13s with exhaust and 2 other mods.......

EVO ? Fuel efficient ?

Tell me another one !

Well...compared to my old 13 second Mustangs
Posted By: akrump47 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 02:46 PM
The future is by no means "over" for these cars. Heck we have some of the most powerful and fastest Contours ever now (just this year even!). More and more 3L cars, a growing number of SF Turbo kits, etc.

The Contour, SVT even, was never a luxury car or a drag-strip stormer. Rather an inexpensive, well-tuned small Ford car with good driving dynamics. It will always attract those who can appreciate it's unique status as an affordable and practical enthusiast's car.
Posted By: Lee K Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 03:06 PM
I would rather buy me a Lancer Evo VIII and then I'd at least have a fuel efficient car that could go low 13s with exhaust and 2 other mods

My Evo is averaging 22 MPG. Not much to brag about, but certainly pretty good for a performance car.

Lee K
98 SVT Contour, silver
03 Lancer Evolution, red
Posted By: outkast Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/27/04 09:18 PM
I have 3 contours and I love them!I beat up on import cars
that cost alot more money than my cars.But I still hear
trash talk because its a ford If you put
an import symbol on it!You,ll see them turn into little
girls
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/28/04 02:08 AM
Well...compared to my old 13 second Mustangs

I have a 13 second car that gets 22mpg in city driving with my lead foot and redline every shift. EVERY shift!

Nearly 30mpg on the highway.

Oh yeah. It handles well too which is something a Mustang could never do.

Ford definitely built a great car and great V6 engine it's just too bad "our" society of sheep like slushbox couches instead.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/29/04 05:47 PM
I think those people getting rid of their CSVTs at this point are chumps, put in a little elbow grease, do the right research, everything can be made to work in perfect harmony . . .example's that come to mind,

DemonSVT
Warmonger
Keyser
BurritaSVT
Buckshot77
Stazi
etc. . .the list is long (sorry about those I forgot about), but these people have done the RIGHT research, gotten things working in perfect harmony,and have cars that could hand it to ANY car on the street right now.

regardless, I'm keeping my CSVT until I (a) total it or (b) get buried in it. It's still the only car that can get my blood boiling when I look at it. . .and like Rara said, it's the only 4-door SVT ever made. . .
Posted By: Stryker Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/29/04 05:54 PM
Originally posted by ssmumich00:
,and have cars that could hand it to ANY car on the street right now.

ummm... we have no 10 second contours here...or even 11 second contours. there are a lot fo cars that would hand Rick's car its ass, viper, Zo6, Poerche 911 Turbo, just to name a few...

granted, buckshot (rick) has a contour that cant currently be beaten by any other contour and that is a hell of a feat (good on ya buckshot, keep up the good work)

im not trying to dog these guys in any way, im jsut saying that they are faster cars on the street that are faster...so be more specific...
Posted By: Contouraholic_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/29/04 07:46 PM
When all is said and done, it's just a car.

Drive em, wear them out, get something else...
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/29/04 08:38 PM
Yep, most people own many cars in their lifetime. And only liking one limits the fun. Doesn't mean any "disloyalty".

There are many clubs for older discontinued Fords, like Mavericks, Falcons, Fairmonts, and even Pintos. So, no need to freak out if someone sells there Contour/Mystique. Others will get one.
Posted By: Kokopellian Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/29/04 09:43 PM
Originally posted by 2000GreenTour:
Yep, most people own many cars in their lifetime. And only liking one limits the fun. Doesn't mean any "disloyalty".

There are many clubs for older discontinued Fords, like Mavericks, Falcons, Fairmonts, and even Pintos. So, no need to freak out if someone sells there Contour/Mystique. Others will get one.

Bingo. I couldn't have said it better myself. Hell, I've only been driving for 12 years and I've owned 14 cars. So, they are indeed made to be driven and replaced. Although, I love my CSVT and I'll keep it even when I buy a new car.
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/29/04 10:08 PM
3 years driving, six cars. But I don't see me doing much of that now that I've found my SVT. It's got everything I want except off road capability, and an all out muscle car.
Posted By: Antonio Wright_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/30/04 01:12 AM
I think those people getting rid of their CSVTs at this point are chumps, put in a little elbow grease, do the right research, everything can be made to work in perfect harmony . . .example's that come to mind,

DemonSVT
Warmonger
Keyser
BurritaSVT
Buckshot77
Stazi
etc. . .the list is long (sorry about those I forgot about), but these people have done the RIGHT research, gotten things working in perfect harmony,and have cars that could hand it to ANY car on the street right now.

regardless, I'm keeping my CSVT until I (a) total it or (b) get buried in it. It's still the only car that can get my blood boiling when I look at it. . .and like Rara said, it's the only 4-door SVT ever made. . .

The only chump I see is you. While you were yapping your mouth on CEG. I was setting trends. It all comes to a point when you have to say "I am done." I for one am not going to spend $10,000-20,000 MORE dollars on a car that I know will fall apart in the near future. Your right research and wrench time cant offset a poorly built car.

So, you have NO right to slam anyone. What have you done? What time and effort have you put in? Hell I can't even remember what your contour looks like. Old school, my ass. Your a freaking N00B and you will always be one, IMHO.
Posted By: Frosty Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/30/04 01:31 AM
Wow, you guys get way too salty! For those that got rid of their 'tours, they obviously had a reason. Good luck to them with their new rides. I happen to love my 'tour and I'm sure everyone else here does too, especially the CSVT owners. I just don't see the point in arguin about it Yeah, everybody's got their own opinion, but why take it so seriously? Let's lighten up a little
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/30/04 02:16 AM
I think people that are saying, "it doesnt have a lot power" are sounding so stupid.
The car wasnt made to be a race car, just a family sedan, thats all Fords intent was, except for the SVT of course.

You people knew that before you even brought the thing and now you complain it doesnt have power, how dumb.

Posted By: Contouraholic_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/30/04 02:26 AM
Well, I love my Contour. In a year and a half it will have 110k miles and will be sold. I'll need another reliable car with low miles.

I loved my Villager
I loved my Escort.
I loved my Intrepid
I loved my Sable
I loved my Toyota Pick up
I loved my Civic
I loved my Taurus
I loved my Beretta
I loved my Pontiac 6000
I loved my Datsun 210
I tolerated my wife's Vega
I loved my Hornet
I loved my 64 Impala
I loved my other 65 Corvair
I loved my 66 Corvair
I loved my 65 Corvair
I loved my 63 Corvair Van
I loved my 62 Beetle

To all the Cars I loved before.....

Posted By: da red one Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/30/04 03:51 AM
Actually, I'm happy you guys are selling your cars. I'm planning on keeping my car for a long time, so in 25 or 30 years, my car will be super rare and it will sell at Barret Jackson for some crazy price like $300,000. The SVT Contour will hit its lowest value in like 5 years, then the value will go up slowly as the number of CSVTs decrease. These cars will be like the GTOs, Shelbys, Z28s, and other rare muscle cars of the 1960s and 70s.
Posted By: igorek84_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/30/04 04:28 AM
Originally posted by da red one:
Actually, I'm happy you guys are selling your cars. I'm planning on keeping my car for a long time, so in 25 or 30 years, my car will be super rare and it will sell at Barret Jackson for some crazy price like $300,000. The SVT Contour will hit its lowest value in like 5 years, then the value will go up slowly as the number of CSVTs decrease. These cars will be like the GTOs, Shelbys, Z28s, and other rare muscle cars of the 1960s and 70s.

Yeah, with one exception... by people selling their cars doesn't mean they will go away, they will only have different owners... so Contours are here to stay... unless you're someone like me who wasted his engine and didn't feel like buying a new engine for my car...
Posted By: caltour Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/30/04 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Antonio:

DemonSVT
Warmonger
Keyser
BurritaSVT
Buckshot77
Stazi

The only chump I see is you. While you were yapping your mouth on CEG. I was setting trends. It all comes to a point when you have to say "I am done." I for one am not going to spend $10,000-20,000 MORE dollars on a car that I know will fall apart in the near future. Your right research and wrench time cant offset a poorly built car.

So, you have NO right to slam anyone. What have you done? What time and effort have you put in? Hell I can't even remember what your contour looks like. Old school, my ass. Your a freaking N00B and you will always be one, IMHO.

Antonio is a cheerful and well-informed fellow, isn't he? CEG just wouldn't be the same without his genuinely helpful opinions about Contours. Post some more, Antonio!
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/30/04 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Contouraholic:
When all is said and done, it's just a car.

Drive em, wear them out, get something else...

Nah, for me itd be Drive em, wear them out, rebuild it
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/30/04 02:20 PM
Like I said before.....I will be keeping mine for a long time.......and I may be buying a 95 Duratec MTX soon...so my Contour stable may be growing.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/30/04 02:39 PM
You need to get Kim one and have her get rid of that Grand Am
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/30/04 03:05 PM
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:
You need to get Kim one and have her get rid of that Grand Am

She just wanted a stock Contour for a winter beater.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/30/04 03:16 PM
there are so many sweet cars that Ford makes internationally, Especially in Europe, WHY THE HELL DONT THEY BRING THEM HERE?!?
Posted By: Rance Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/30/04 07:23 PM
I own a 1999 green svtc . And I plan on keeping it for a long time. Owning An svtc has givin me a higher standard in purchasing my next car. I wont except anything less powerful, comfortable, fun, or rare in my next vehicle purchase.

I have test drivin a couple of cars lately (bmw 3 series,5 series, mazda melenia, And they just dont seem to be as fun as the svtc. Of course they were all atx's, but still I expected more.

I think the only cars I would trade my svtc in for is a 02-04 svt mustang or a bmw mtx.

Mazda 6 naaaah, neon srt 4 naaaah,(its a neon), evo maybe, wrx maybe, skyline NO DOUBT!!! CONTOUR GONE IN A SECOND.

but i really do enjoy my car. And people are always askin "What kind of car is that?"

Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: The Future of Our Cars - 05/30/04 08:00 PM
Originally posted by AliasJerk:
there are so many sweet cars that Ford makes internationally, Especially in Europe, WHY THE HELL DONT THEY BRING THEM HERE?!?

Again, for the 300th time, the 500 and the new mid sized CD338 car are coming. There will be a new 4 door SVT car also. If the current Mondeo came here, it would be too expensive. And it's dated, about to be replaced with a Volvo based car, so quit asking.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 06/07/04 05:01 PM
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:

The car wasnt made to be a race car, just a family sedan, thats all Fords intent was, except for the SVT of course.

You people knew that before you even brought the thing and now you complain it doesnt have power, how dumb.

Wow. You are so wrong, and so unknowing of the jewel that you possess.

I agree that "race car" was never the target, but to say that it's "just a family sedan...." Well, I guess it depends on what you know. That's how Ford marketed it in this country, as an answer to the Accord and Camry, but since it also had to compete in the rest of the world with less mundane cars, you had an awful lot of time spent on such un-family car worries as steering and handling. And 170 hp was a very good number in 1995. Sure, Honda and Toyota brought out their own V-6 models around that time, but they were kitchen appliances in comparison, and at $3-5k premiums. Even the Maxima SE, while possessing a finer and more powerful engine, had begun overeating it's way to heavy softness. I had loved the previous generation of Hondas, and lusted for a Maxima for years, but then here was this Ford. I did a lot of research on this car and many others before I decided to buy. It's "just a family sedan" in the same way that a BMW is, only at just over half the price. And while it was never successful at competing in the 4-wheeled appliance field, it ended up being a jewel in the rough when it came to performance.

Sure, it possesses that annoying "Fordness" of skin-deep beauty: Interior trim that's just OK, gaping body seams with loose tolerances, and other details that seem as if they should have been easy to do better. Sure it was built in KC. But its heart is all European Sports Sedan.
Posted By: LilTour Re: The Future of Our Cars - 06/07/04 06:36 PM
Amen.
with a w3rd to top it off..

I agree 100%.. mines broken, and I still love it.
Im gonna fix it, drive it like I stole it, break it, and fix it again.
Posted By: Paul Kienitz_dup1 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 06/11/04 07:19 AM
Originally posted by RogerB:
It's "just a family sedan" in the same way that a BMW is, only at just over half the price.

Exactly. To friends unsure of what sort of car a Contour is, I describe it as "a bargain basement Beemer".
Posted By: brianl703 Re: The Future of Our Cars - 06/11/04 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Antonio:
I was setting trends.

Don't give yourself that much credit.
© CEG Archives