Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Russell-3L towing a car - 05/03/04 02:32 AM
what would be the best way to tow a car.

i will be needing to do this shortly.

my mom has a 99 blazer, full size, 4wd, with the 4.3L

can it SAFELY tow a car, several hundred miles. my mom and dad think that it cant, and the tranny will get messed up or something.

my dad also ahs a 92 f150, with a 5.8L. he dont want to use it because its got high miles on it, plus gas milage is horrible!

we are thinking about renting a truck froma rental company, but id rather take the blazer!

also, i doubt this, but could my contour tow it?
im sure the motor could pull it, but suspension and tranny wouldnt i would think!

im looking for the cheapest way!
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: towing a car - 05/03/04 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Russell-3L:
my mom has a 99 blazer, full size, 4wd, with the 4.3L

can it SAFELY tow a car, several hundred miles. my mom and dad think that it cant, and the tranny will get messed up or something.

Shes right, its a Chevy, cant handle it
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: towing a car - 05/03/04 02:35 AM
What is the max. towing load on the Chevy, if it is equal to or more than the weight of the car than yes it can tow it.

Plus the thing has a good size engine in it, so that will help out.

Posted By: incubusjunkie614 Re: towing a car - 05/03/04 02:38 AM
3L contour- no
blazer- probably
f150- for sure
Posted By: caltour Re: towing a car - 05/03/04 02:47 AM
It takes a pretty burly rig to tow a car (presumably a car on a car trailer). Seriously consider renting a full-size pickup truck, with a trailer or tow bar. I know renting will cost some bucks, but it sounds like your parents don't think the Blazer will make it.

Posted By: TourDeForce Re: towing a car - 05/03/04 03:17 AM

...SAFELY tow a car, several hundred miles.

...we are thinking about renting a truck froma rental ....

The 4.3 could handle a tow across town, but man, you're asking a lot. If the F-150 has high miles already, it too, should be used around town. I wouldn't even try to tow with the 'Tour. Just not durable for that kind of work.

Get the rental with a hitch and a 'tow dolly'. Really, you're looking for headaches & big buck repairs if you use your own vehicles. The 'tow dolly' is lightweight & quite effective. Just be sure the drive wheels are on the dolly to minimize stresses on the 'towed vehicle' drive train.

Avoid tight turns, large wide turn radii are in order to keep things from getting damaged. Tight right handers should performed only if ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED, U-turns ARE OUT. Come back around three or four blocks taking left hand turns at traffic lights if you miss a turn-off or driveway. Go wide (especially on the right-handers) & use all your lane every where you go.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: towing a car - 05/03/04 03:34 AM
Yeah, the 4.3L isn't really that much of an engine for that big of a vehicle. A 4.3L blazer is slower than my car, and I'm sure you'll agree with me Russell, that's really really slow. Rent a turbo diesel truck and chip it for the trip. That would be fun.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: towing a car - 05/03/04 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Yeah, the 4.3L isn't really that much of an engine for that big of a vehicle. A 4.3L blazer is slower than my car, and I'm sure you'll agree with me Russell, that's really really slow. Rent a turbo diesel truck and chip it for the trip. That would be fun.

naw, its not accually that slow, not fast by any means, but i beat a durango in a race with mine
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: towing a car - 05/03/04 03:53 AM

naw, its not accually that slow, not fast by any means, but i beat a durango in a race with mine

Then the durango is super super super slow.
Posted By: Booger Re: towing a car - 05/03/04 03:46 PM
You failed to mention what you are towing and what terain you will cover. The blazer even with the small engine would be fine in say, the south west. The F-150 could even have trouble in the rockies. Terain is a big factor to consider. Personally I would get a U-haul dolly and jump in the Ford. I'm partial of course, I wouldn't trust the Blazer to haul my groceries. If the F-150 is old and high miles then you might as well give it one good last haul, then do a drivetrain build, although I don't think you will need it.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: towing a car - 05/07/04 02:58 AM
update:

i need to get this car within a week and a half.

my parents are being VERY unhelpful

using one of their vehicles is out of the question.

im 19, and have no credit card, i cannot jsut rent a uhaul or something

how can i possibly get this car?

also on a very low budget, but im crazy and will try anything!
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: towing a car - 05/07/04 03:22 AM
Fine fine, get a friend, tell him to steer the other car, tie the other car up to the car your driving, then drive it there!

Oh wait, you said safe... nm
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: towing a car - 05/07/04 03:28 AM
let me add, this is a 400+ mile trip...........

Posted By: WestCoastAjax Re: towing a car - 05/07/04 03:48 AM
Call an autotransporter
ie:
http://www.123movers.com/auto_transport/Bethlehem_PA/z-18015/s-auto_ship/results.html
http://www.movecars.com/states/pennsylvania.htm
http://www.1staboard.com/autos/Pennsylvania.htm
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: towing a car - 05/07/04 03:56 AM
cant afford them
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: towing a car - 05/07/04 11:53 AM
cant afford them

do you know anyone that can loan you some $$
pay them back $20 a week.

meh I have no idea.
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: towing a car - 05/07/04 11:55 AM
Have a friend with a truck? I know my dad's Ford Ranger was able to tow my contour around the sideroads with no problem. Now if the ranger could take it a couple hundred miles, im not sure... great truck tho
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: towing a car - 05/07/04 01:14 PM
Anybody's truck or full sized car with a hitch and rent a tow dolly. The tow dolly will be well under $100 for two days - Probably under $50.

The parents should be willing to help with renting the dolly. If not, there is some greater issue at work here... Perhaps they have concerns about this vehicle.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: towing a car - 05/07/04 01:29 PM
my parents wont help out because they are p1ssed at me for being lazy around the house!

im tempted to try and pull it with my tour, but id be afraid of breaking something
Posted By: SVTFern_dup1 Re: towing a car - 05/07/04 02:05 PM
I have an 03 Sonoma Crew Cab and I tow my SVT to track events on a flat bed car hauler. The GMC has the same 4.3L engine and it does it just fine. It is rated to tow 5200LBs. The only change I have made is that I added an extra leaf spring to allow me to be more level as I drive. I have driven from Toronto to Indianapolis towing the SVT. You should be fine with the Blazer.

Fern
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: towing a car - 05/07/04 04:00 PM
my parents wont help out because they are p1ssed at me for being lazy around the house!

im tempted to try and pull it with my tour, but id be afraid of breaking something

You'd kill it
Posted By: Obsidian Re: towing a car - 05/07/04 11:03 PM
what type of vehicle are you trying to tow.

If it's a small thing such as a geo metro then you could use your tour fine. But if it is say... a cadillac or sumthin then use the blazer. How many miles does the f-150 have on it? Those things can last FOREVER!!

And if you insist on using the F-150 then you can do a quick oil change and use the engine restore-it stuff. Heard it works really well.

Where are you picking up this vehicle and I assume you're bringing it back with you to pittsburgh.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: towing a car - 05/08/04 05:02 AM
its another contour

and my dad wont let me use the truck its got 135K on it btw
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: towing a car - 05/08/04 06:12 AM
its another contour

Specs on the Contour? Does it start? Just drive it home if it starts, drive it home! but I assume theres gotta be some problem to want to tow it...
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: towing a car - 05/08/04 02:02 PM
Originally posted by ContourKev:
its another contour

Specs on the Contour? Does it start? Just drive it home if it starts, drive it home! but I assume theres gotta be some problem to want to tow it...

blown engine
Posted By: Obsidian Re: towing a car - 05/08/04 04:45 PM
that damn truck has PLENTY of life in it. Crazy man.

What will you be using to tow the other tour? If you have the proper equipment such as a dolly and type 3 trailer hitch/tow package (get them from u-haul for 150) then I think your tour could do it.

Few things to take into consideration.

1. How heavy is the other car. If it has a blown engine and you aren't yanking anything off of the engine then pull the engine and get rid of it. Lose that 800 or so pounds then your tour would have minimal problems pulling it.

2. Don't forget about tire pressures. Make sure your tires are at the recommended PSI.

3. Remember to keep your tranny with Overdrive OFF!!! Very Very important!!!

You should be good to go. I've pulled trucks (small ones) with my mystique (zetec) and I had no problems. just remember about the overdrive.

Keep this in mind also. You have a 3.0 V6 which makes 153HP and 182 Torque for the low range model and 200 HP and 200 torque for the better model. I don't know which one you have but either one of those should have enough power for you to make it.

Don't hold me to any of this, just stating opinions and what I would do if I was in your shoes.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: towing a car - 05/08/04 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Obsidian:

Keep this in mind also. You have a 3.0 V6 which makes 153HP and 182 Torque for the low range model and 200 HP and 200 torque for the better model. I don't know which one you have but either one of those should have enough power for you to make it.

Don't hold me to any of this, just stating opinions and what I would do if I was in your shoes.

its the duratec 3L of course! its not exactly stock either.

ive got a huge tranny cooler and a shiftkit and sonnax valves in the tranny, along with an external filter and mobil 1 atf

i would definetaly tow with overdrive off

i will also have a proper hitch/trailer, change my oil, and front brakes (pads are pretty much gone)
Posted By: Obsidian Re: towing a car - 05/09/04 12:21 AM
both of those figures are for a 3L from a 2000 taurus. Gave 2 specs.... same engines. Anyway, only other thing I can ask is where are you towing it from.

Go for it dude, you should be a ok as long as you don't beat up on the tour.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: towing a car - 05/09/04 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Obsidian:
both of those figures are for a 3L from a 2000 taurus. Gave 2 specs.... same engines. Anyway, only other thing I can ask is where are you towing it from.

Go for it dude, you should be a ok as long as you don't beat up on the tour.

Different engines, one is the weak vulcan, the one people swap is the 3L duratec.
Posted By: Obsidian Re: towing a car - 05/09/04 08:18 PM
and now I know.. and knowing is half the battle. G.I. Joe!

Gay Voice - don't forget your sandwichesss - gay voice off.
Posted By: Bailey Re: towing a car - 05/09/04 09:31 PM
Get somebody that owns a full size Ford Bronco those suckers can haul over 7000 lbs easy, and over 9000 lbs on low 4x4 , and the engine lasts forever (5.8 351w).

If not use your Contour and go easy
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: towing a car - 05/09/04 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Contour-Mtl:
Get somebody that owns a full size Ford Bronco those suckers can haul over 7000 lbs easy, and over 9000 lbs on low 4x4 , and the engine lasts forever (5.8 351w).

If not use your Contour and go easy

my dads truck got the 351W, but he wont let me take it

i think im just gonna use the contour and take it easy, and be careful. already changed the oil and brakes today
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: towing a car - 05/10/04 03:50 AM
I thought you had a bronco?
Anyways, be careful if you use the contour, don't kill it.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: towing a car - 05/10/04 04:03 AM
I thought you had a bronco?
Anyways, be careful if you use the contour, don't kill it.

uninsured, uninspected, no plates, and not running (ive been lazy), plus i wouldnt trust it for the long haul, its a bronco 2 accually
Posted By: JB1 Re: towing a car - 05/10/04 04:08 AM

1)my mom has a 99 blazer, full size, 4wd, with the 4.3L

2)also, i doubt this, but could my contour tow it?

1)unless something is wrong with the blazer it WILL tow your tour. you can verify this by checking the manual. consider this: my little ford ranger (when i had it) with the 3L v6 was rated to tow 5000lbs. a full size blazer with the venerable 4.3 should do atleast that.

2)try to tow the tour with your tour and you WIll have 2 dead tours....lol. the engine/tranny/chassis combo is not designed to tow anything.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: towing a car - 05/10/04 04:13 AM
I believe 'tours are rated up to 1k lbs towing. So yeah, I'd be sorta against using the 'tour as well.
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: towing a car - 05/10/04 05:23 AM
Find a stupid friend (one with no knowledge on cars, and who would freak out when the Oil light goes on cus of low oil), convince him/her that their car can do it :troutslap
Posted By: mystiquefreak Re: towing a car - 05/10/04 06:56 PM
here's what you do, take the blazer. don't risk using the tour. it only has a 1k pound towing copacity. i've got an astro with the 4.3 awd and it's got power. who cares if it's slow. you have power. the only thing is suspension. but i think the blazer could handle it. and whoever said that chevy's suck, they are wrong!!!
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: towing a car - 05/11/04 02:41 AM
parents wont let me use the blazer, ive been on their case all week

i cant rent a vehicle, im 19 and ahve no credit card

none of my friends have a vehicle with a hitch, they all pretty much got cars

uhaul wont rent a tow dolly for the tour, and they only make a class 1 hitch

i will be fabricating my own hitch, my dad is a welder, it will be made right, safe, and very over-engineered for this application.

i will rent a tow dolly with the blazer and just use it on the tour.

drive with overdrive off, the tranny cooler i got should keep the tranny in good shape, its also got mobil 1 atf

changed my oil and front brakes yesterday.

its all highway miles also, i honestly think the tour can handle it
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: towing a car - 05/11/04 02:46 AM
Id say the tour can handle it, theys powerful b!tches! You g a 3L Upgrade from what I am seeing, and a Tranny cooler, i dont see why not... and if your worried about engine overheat, unplug the ECT so the fans go on
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: towing a car - 05/11/04 03:11 AM
accually big update:

ahd a talk with my dad, says hes to busy to help me make a hitch

he told me i can use his truck though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but he said if uhaul makes you get one, that i gotta pay for the hitch

anyone know if uhaul will let me tow with just the towball on the back bumper??? thats what the truck has now
Posted By: JB1 Re: towing a car - 05/11/04 03:14 PM
accually big update:

ahd a talk with my dad, says hes to busy to help me make a hitch

he told me i can use his truck though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but he said if uhaul makes you get one, that i gotta pay for the hitch

anyone know if uhaul will let me tow with just the towball on the back bumper??? thats what the truck has now

good....right tool for the rigth job!
no they wont, rather aren't supposed to let you tow using the ball and bumper. besides the hitch is far more safe and reliable.
Posted By: Booger Re: towing a car - 05/11/04 04:05 PM
Use your plan of picking up the dolly with the Blazer and then use it on the Truck. Sorry I haven't got back to you Russell, been busy. Looks like you've got things sorted out anyway and I haven't come up with anything. Just remember, 5.8L drinks gasoline quick. Keep your foot out of it as much as you can to help the milage, from what I gather you are low and $ anyway. Good luck.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: towing a car - 05/11/04 04:39 PM
got a nice hitch for $50 from a junkyard today, sanding it and repainting it. a friend of mine might be able to get me a trailor to use for cheap

the hitch is rated at 10,000 lbs

i think it will be fine
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: towing a car - 05/11/04 08:44 PM
I towed my SVT behind my Silverado (5.3L, Auto, 3.73 gears) from California City,Ca to Charleston, S.C. with no problems at all. The trip is around 2600 miles and it took approx 50 hours and yes, I drove straight through stopping for about6 hours to sleep. A Chevy can handle it.

I would suggest getting and Trans cooler on your truck if you can. I didn't have any problems but it's good insurance and good to use on anyday of the week.

The 5.8 will drink some major gas especially if any of the land is not flat. Also keep in mind that long, slow uphill slopes will wreak havoc on your gas mileage and your truck will be working very hard so go easy on it.
© CEG Archives