Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: zaven V8 contour - 04/20/04 08:39 PM
Well ive been kicking it around for a little bit now with some minor mods to the engine comp floor and trunk and front springs I will be putting a 302 in my 98svt this summer.So i will be selling my engine in the next few months it has 45000 on it so if any one is interested let me know
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: V8 contour - 04/20/04 08:43 PM
Good luck, your in for some serious work. Be sure to post pics if you do it.
Posted By: zaven Re: V8 contour - 04/20/04 08:44 PM
I plan on doing a very good play by play for every one
Posted By: perry_dup1 Re: V8 contour - 04/20/04 08:48 PM
Uh huh.
Posted By: zaven Re: V8 contour - 04/20/04 08:51 PM
And what dose uh huh mean?
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: V8 contour - 04/20/04 08:58 PM
Originally posted by zaven:
And what dose uh huh mean?

I think that was a bit sarcastic. Reason be is because, there is literally no room for a V8. The V6 duratec hardly fits in there right now. The only V8 that has been pondered to fit is the Lincoln LS V8, and even then, some are still skeptical. More power to you though! Id like to see it become a reality, but you have a TON of fabrication ahead of you.
Posted By: zaven Re: V8 contour - 04/20/04 09:24 PM
Ya it will be a little bit of work but from what i can tell with the block it sould fit with out a overwhelming amount of work under the hood the hardest part will be the drive line and rear end because of the fule tank issue and all but with as much money as ive seen being put towards 3.0 swaps and the $5000.00 for a turbo or $3000.00 for sc i should save money i allready have the engine its from a 68 or so mustang.so really all thats left is to jump into it and make it fit
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: V8 contour - 04/20/04 09:25 PM
Well ive been kicking it around for a little bit now with some minor mods to the engine comp floor and trunk and front springs I will be putting a 302 in my 98svt this summer.

Nothing minor ahead of you...

Engine bay will need alot of work and relocation. The passenger compartment floor will have to be re-engineered, you'll need a fuel cell since the rear axle and exhaust will now live where your gas tank once did, You'll need to fabricate a new floor in the trunk to accept the rear end as well since the spare tire well is in the way. You'll need a new drive shaft made to the right length. You won't be re-using your factory guages.

You'll be looking at a bit more than front springs for the 302. You'll have to buy an entirely new suspension since you'll have a solid rear axle unless you can engineer the Cobra IRS fit, in which case you still need a new suspension. You need a new rack and pinion as well as new knuckles in the front end since the FWD stuff is all gone. With that new steering box, you'll need a new booster. You need a cradle to attach the engine to the chassis, motor mounts, all your electrical. New fuel lines. You'll need new wheels unless you plan on using a weak rear end from a 2.3L Mustang with a 4 bolt pattern.

The actual added weight of the 302 will be negated by the fact that you don't have the entire engine in front of the wheels and your transmission, should you manage to build a new floor for the passenger compartment, will also be behind the front wheels. Your weight distribution may well improve. It does in the Focus when you replace the Zetec with a 302. The problem is that solid rear axle thing, but the Cobra IRS has already been implemented in V8 Foci as well.

You'll probably also want to look for a new hood, unless you are planning of installing an fuel injected 302. The air cleaner in a 302 Focus just fits under the hood. Go park your SVT next to a Focus. Tall little buggers aren't they?

Other questions that arise are what transmission are you running? Is this all out of a Mustang? Is the 302 a crate engine? Is the engine even going to physically fit into the car?

See, I would like to toss a V8 into my Focus when my warranty expires. For me, it's a feasable option. In my case, the only setback would be the cost of the Kugel kit parts, which run up to a few grand. It's all bolt in, was engineered, and is sold through Ford racing. Someone already did all my research for me, and built my parts.

If you're serious, then more power to you. But unless you tackle this properly, you'll destroy your SVT's handling. As for an improvement in straight line speed, Most 302 V8 Foci tested by magazines only manage mid 14 second 1/4 mile times. And that's with a Crate 302, the GT-40 5 speed, and some minor tuning. If you throw an old mustang 302 in there you will likely be hitting high 14s or possibly driving into the 15s.

As for cost, even with the kit going down in price, Foci owners can expect to shell out close to $10K when all is said and done just to get a basic 302 Focus plus the cost of the car.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: V8 contour - 04/20/04 09:33 PM
I've seen quite a few 302 foci, and it fits in the engine bay better than a zetec. Though foci have a good bit more engine bay room than our cars,, even zx2's have more engine bay room than us.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: V8 contour - 04/20/04 09:38 PM
If he's a good fabricator it won't be that bad. The engineering is where it'll pay off. If he does his math beforhand he'll be OK, but if not Would be a cool monster garagejunkyard wars type ride I've kicked this idea around myself more then once,but it would be AWD.
Posted By: zaven Re: V8 contour - 04/20/04 09:59 PM
Well i thought of that for awd for about five mins and my fabricator and i both dismissed the idea just because of the space left under the car to do so is not their unless i wanted to put a lift kit on it its not even an option
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: V8 contour - 04/20/04 10:03 PM
Ill give you $5 for that SVT Engine!
My brother has a 302 Engine in his 73 Mustang... im pretty sure they are different tho...
Posted By: JB1 Re: V8 contour - 04/20/04 10:39 PM
i love the idea. i suggested this sometime back and all i got was nay sayers with no hot rod spirit telling me why it can't be done. if a focus can take a v8 and the pt cruiser can be altered to accept a v10(its been done) then our tours can be made to swallow a v8.
Posted By: Booger Re: V8 contour - 04/20/04 10:39 PM
My suggestions for what they are worth are this:

The question is, how stock do you want it. I would opt for a very low priced 'Tour to transform. Since you are using an old school engine, electronics aren't a prob. So one needing a wireing harness is and option. Also, a toasted motor and tranny will work. Blown struts, no big deal. All you really want is the shell and windows. Using a pre98 GL would also add to the sleeper effect if you want to go that route. With the amount of modding that will be done to the car, I would reduce it to barely street legal. Racing seats, custom dash with all aftermarket gauges, no carpet, no door panels, no console (probably won't fit anyway). Make a pro street door slammer basicly. I don't think I could start cutting a SVT, but a GL (no offense to anyone) isn't a huge loss. I know buying a seperate car to do the modding is added cost you are trying to avoid, but you could always sell your CSVT and add that to your budget. I'm sure if you ask around on here someone will know of an old parted out 'Tour that would be perfect for your project.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: V8 contour - 04/20/04 10:42 PM

Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: V8 contour - 04/20/04 10:49 PM
I'll believe it when we see it. Look to spend at least $20,000 and it will not have the same handling as the stock SVTC. With that kind of cash, one can get a good, used, real RWD/V8 car.
Posted By: vessel Re: V8 contour - 04/21/04 12:28 AM
Have you considered the 3.4L V8 from a 97+taurus sho? I'm not sure anything would fit, but it might be easier to keep it front drive and try to adapt the tranny from the SVT. Only a suggestion.
Posted By: Monk Re: V8 contour - 04/21/04 02:34 AM
Originally posted by 2000GreenTour:
Look to spend at least $20,000 and it will not have the same handling as the stock SVTC. With that kind of cash, one can get a good, used, real RWD/V8 car.

I agree, what's the point? I've seen nice Cobra's on sale for less than that, and they were in really good shape too.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: V8 contour - 04/21/04 03:39 AM
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:

and some pushing and pulling. . .
Posted By: ieffem Re: V8 contour - 04/21/04 04:04 AM
I like the idea, but an svt no I like the gl idea better.
A little off the subject but I seen a 302 powered RX7 today. that was cool. he had to cut the hood and add a cowl on to it I'll get pics some day. I go to school with him.
Posted By: SVT24 Re: V8 contour - 04/21/04 02:21 PM
ive seen being put towards 3.0 swaps and the $5000.00 for a turbo or $3000.00 for sc

That 5000 or so is also a tested setup, not something as experimental as what you are trying to do. If you have the motivation, time, and money, go for it. I just think that in the long run you will find more problems than just doing a nice 3.0L or a SC or turbo.
Posted By: zaven Re: V8 contour - 04/21/04 02:37 PM
Just to give a better idea of the rear end because this has been brought up before it will be a corvett rear end matched with a 4speed chevy gear box ya i know chevy but you have to use what you have/what will work!This will get around needing to use a solid axel type rear end. And dont every body get to excited its not like ive already riped into my SVT yet
Posted By: Booger Re: V8 contour - 04/21/04 02:57 PM
What about a early 90's T-bird rear. They are independant and could handle a V8. Ya know, to keep it FoMoCo.
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: V8 contour - 04/21/04 03:06 PM
It's not going to work. Not without completely re-engineering the car. The rear track on a Corvette is mmuch wider than the Contour, it will leave your wheels sticking out past the fenders. It's not like you can just make the rear end any narrower either, it's a bit more complicated than that.

The Contour just wasn't designed with RXD in mind at any point. The fact that the Focus pulled it off was either a fluke, or Ford did at one time contemplate releasing the Cosworth version. The car almost seems built with an allowance for a driveshaft and has plenty of room for a beefy IRS.

I have to agree, in comparisson, a turbo setup, some coilovers, and a good set of tires will get you everything you are looking for, and be alot safer. I woldn't even think of doing a swap into the Focus if the engineering side hadn't already been done for me.
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: V8 contour - 04/21/04 03:38 PM
You're using a 4 speed? So you'll be fabbing mechanical linkage for the clutch.

Ok, I'm now sold! No way in heck you're doing this.
Posted By: zaven Re: V8 contour - 04/21/04 09:09 PM
Well with all the words of incuragement i have made some phone calls and looked on ebay and have came to terms that it may cost upwards of $15,000 to do this and i might screw up a good car so im getting a focus for $1500.00 and a install kit for $6000.00 ya i know its not a v8 tour but after listening to some of you i realize their is waaaay to much that involves this contour project and it would take a week of work to do a V8 focus and a lot less money.I have made contact with a guy that ownes one and says he pulls 11's at the track with slicks and 12.4's with streets so i think $7000.00 is well worth it.What do you guys think?
Posted By: Renee_dup1 Re: V8 contour - 04/21/04 09:18 PM
Well with all the words of incuragement i have made some phone calls and looked on ebay and have came to terms that it may cost upwards of $15,000 to do this and i might screw up a good car so im getting a focus for $1500.00 and a install kit for $6000.00 ya i know its not a v8 tour but after listening to some of you i realize their is waaaay to much that involves this contour project and it would take a week of work to do a V8 focus and a lot less money.I have made contact with a guy that ownes one and says he pulls 11's at the track with slicks and 12.4's with streets so i think $7000.00 is well worth it.What do you guys think?

Figures
Posted By: zaven Re: V8 contour - 04/21/04 09:37 PM
Well unless you can help get some people togeather to help do some research and help me figure some things out on how to go about this because im at a loss i could make this a reality with a little help
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: V8 contour - 04/22/04 05:35 AM
Well unless you can help get some people togeather to help do some research and help me figure some things out on how to go about this because im at a loss i could make this a reality with a little help

What is your goal for wanting this? Figure out your goal, and you can find the ways and means to get there. I don't think that 1968 302 is going to have much power, now is it? RWD For a Contour is possible, I'm sure. Is it best for the platform? I doubt it. It might be cheaper to just get a WHOLE Lincoln LS8. That would be the experience you are looking for.
Posted By: CarpePoon_dup1 Re: V8 contour - 04/22/04 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
I've seen quite a few 302 foci, and it fits in the engine bay better than a zetec. Though foci have a good bit more engine bay room than our cars,, even zx2's have more engine bay room than us.

Thats because the foci was originally designed for AWD. It already has the tranny tunnel that a RWD tranny fits right into, contours don't.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: V8 contour - 04/22/04 01:26 PM
i cant see this being worth the money for an SVT

now if you could get a 95 gl with blown engine/tranny for like $200 you could probably build a cheap drag car out of it

making it a daily driver and that can pass inspection/emissions would be a hefty task. and getting it to handle good would be expensive too.
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: V8 contour - 04/22/04 01:46 PM

You need alot of work to get to 11s with a V8 Focus. The 302 crate engine that comes with it does make decent numbers. But even a well set up 302 focus is looking at 14s in the 1/4. Dial in more hp and you'll run into traction nightmares. You'll be looking at alot more than the basic kit to hit 11 second quarter mile times.

If you are looking at a V8 Focus anyways, why not just buy a completed car from Kugel? It will cost a little more, sure, but the cost includes a rediculously low premium for the hours of labor that goes into the cars. Likely alot less than you'll pay a shop for the same work. That and you know for sure it was done right since the people that created the kit installed it.

I have to agree with Chris here too. A used LS is such a bargain. Maybe consider that route. I would, but my V8 Focus plans have been in the planning since before I even got the car, it's not just some silly notion that popped into my head.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: V8 contour - 04/22/04 01:57 PM
Originally posted by CarpePoon:
It already has the tranny tunnel that a RWD tranny fits right into, contours don't.

Ummmmmm...

http://www.tcf-v8-focus-conversions.com/Mag-Car/photos/photo_60.html

http://www.tcf-v8-focus-conversions.com/Mag-Car/photos/photo_65.html

http://www.tcf-v8-focus-conversions.com/Mag-Car/photos/photo_68.html

Posted By: 94Mondeo Re: V8 contour - 04/22/04 06:40 PM
Originally posted by CarpePoon:
Thats because the foci was originally designed for AWD. It already has the tranny tunnel that a RWD tranny fits right into, contours don't.

according to Ford Europe´s CEO the first gen Focus is NOT designed for AWD, that´s why there isn´t any Focus AWD available, at least not in Europe and I´ve never seen one in the states either. (are there AWD foci available from Ford in the US?)
the second gen Focus is supposed to have AWD, though.
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: V8 contour - 04/22/04 07:09 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:

Ummmmmm...

http://www.tcf-v8-focus-conversions.com/Mag-Car/photos/photo_60.html

http://www.tcf-v8-focus-conversions.com/Mag-Car/photos/photo_65.html

http://www.tcf-v8-focus-conversions.com/Mag-Car/photos/photo_68.html

Yep, you have to cut that piece out to make a little more room for the GT40 transmission, and a section of the spare tire well needs to be cut so that the rear end can't rub against it when the suspension is under full compression (accelerating) You lose access to your spare tire anyways because of the fuel cell so it's a minor thing.

All of the stock trim pieces, like the center console, go right back in place after the conversion though. Nobody would be able to tell you ever made a cut.
Posted By: JB1 Re: V8 contour - 04/22/04 07:16 PM
i bet the first time someone tried to put the 302 in the focus everybody went nuts saying how and why it can't be done. and the r&d on that focus i'm sure cost some money....but now they have a whole kit to use......hmmmm
Posted By: akrump47 What about AWD? - 04/22/04 07:25 PM
All this talk about totally reengineering the Contour for RWD and v8 - and I am wondering why nobody seems to want to tackle an AWD conversion instead? Since the older Mondeo offered AWD and the newer Jag X-type has it, it should be absolutely possible on the Contour which shares the same platform and engine as those two . . . right . . .
Just think of what an AWD Turbo SVT would be capable of ...
Posted By: Rev. Po-Jay Re: V8 contour - 04/22/04 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Honkeytonk Monkey:
...The fact that the Focus pulled it off was either a fluke, or Ford did at one time contemplate releasing the Cosworth version. The car almost seems built with an allowance for a driveshaft and has plenty of room for a beefy IRS....

They are available in AWD in Europe, so the tunnel and the rear are built to accomodate the setup. The Contour was never intended to be a Rally car or have any other setup than FWD. That RWD proposition seems MUCh more difficult that it would be worth. Buy a frikken RX7 from the late 90's and upgrade the turbo. You will then have a real 10.00 second ET street car and you will have the same money invested. This is coming from the driver/Owner of FrankenFord.

Posted By: JB1 Re: What about AWD? - 04/22/04 07:56 PM
Originally posted by akrump47:

hhhmmmmmm.......i may just have to become a wealthy man so i can waste money on this idea....
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: V8 contour - 04/23/04 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Rev. Po-Jay:
...The fact that the Focus pulled it off was either a fluke, or Ford did at one time contemplate releasing the Cosworth version. The car almost seems built with an allowance for a driveshaft and has plenty of room for a beefy IRS....

They are available in AWD in Europe, so the tunnel and the rear are built to accomodate the setup. The Contour was never intended to be a Rally car or have any other setup than FWD. That RWD proposition seems MUCh more difficult that it would be worth. Buy a frikken RX7 from the late 90's and upgrade the turbo. You will then have a real 10.00 second ET street car and you will have the same money invested. This is coming from the driver/Owner of FrankenFord.

What about the "4x4" Mondeo's in the great land of Europe?
Posted By: coatsy Re: V8 contour - 04/23/04 01:05 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else just ask WHY????????????????
Spend the $$$$ on fixing up the Stang
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: V8 contour - 04/23/04 01:11 AM
Originally posted by coatsy:

Stangs are a dime a dozen. Go ahead and do it like the millions of other fools. Some people like to be different Open your mind
Posted By: coatsy Re: V8 contour - 04/23/04 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:

Stangs are a dime a dozen. Go ahead and do it like the millions of other fools. Some people like to be different Open your mind

Theres open minds and reality! COme on.
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: V8 contour - 04/23/04 02:41 AM
I thought the reason people love the contour svt is because it is a great all around car for the price and it is RARE. Why not let this guy put a 302 into his contour. It will be one of a kind; no one else will have it.

also Don't knock it till you have tried it!!
Posted By: m!key Re: V8 contour - 04/23/04 02:48 AM
BREAKING NEWS!!!
there might be a V8 powered contour in a city 45 minutes north of my location. i am going to try and investigate this report but it came from a very reliable car source. this is not a test this is an actual sighting.
Posted By: gearhead98 Re: V8 contour - 04/23/04 03:05 AM
to figure out if this will all work out why dont you guys talk to the man himself, the guy who basically invented the CDW-27 terry haines.
Posted By: Daddy Phat Sacks Re: What about AWD? - 04/23/04 03:15 AM
Originally posted by akrump47:
All this talk about totally reengineering the Contour for RWD and v8 - and I am wondering why nobody seems to want to tackle an AWD conversion instead? Since the older Mondeo offered AWD and the newer Jag X-type has it, it should be absolutely possible on the Contour which shares the same platform and engine as those two . . . right . . .

STI/EVO KILLA!
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: V8 contour - 04/23/04 01:23 PM

Well, there's you, and many like you, (most people, I'd say) and then there's the dreamers who don't care why.

It doesn't have to make sense. It doesn't have to satisfy a balance sheet.

Why Everest? Why the North Pole? Why the moon? Why would you want to build a 3.5" hard drive, when all of our customers have 12" drive transports? Why do we like shows like "Monster Garage?"
Posted By: lightngsvt Re: V8 contour - 04/23/04 02:18 PM
I dont know if this has been mentioned before, but what about the rear end / suspension from a 4wd Escape? Isnt it based on the Contour platform? I'm sure it could be adapted your intended setup.
Posted By: vessel Re: V8 contour - 04/24/04 01:11 AM
Originally posted by lightngsvt:
I dont know if this has been mentioned before, but what about the rear end / suspension from a 4wd Escape? Isnt it based on the Contour platform? I'm sure it could be adapted your intended setup.

I doubt it could handle the power upgrades to make this a viable option. Its kinda like the Honda crv parts being used to make AWD integ's and civics, of the 8 I know of, 7 have blown up, and the 8th hasn't been running yet. Again, I ask if anyone has considered the 3.4L V8 out of a taurus sho? Will it fit to the MTX? Adapters needed? I spent some time in the Kit-Car trenches, there are a lot of adapters out there to combine engines and transmissions you would never think would work together. The sho V8 is a massively powerful engine with very good tuneability.
Just wondering.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: V8 contour - 04/24/04 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:

Theres open minds and reality! COme on.

Have you ever watched monster garage??? People with fabrication skills can do anything they put there minds to. Don't push me to do the "impossible"
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: V8 contour - 04/24/04 01:17 AM
Do a search for SHO V8 swaps. I'm sure it would fit with some modifications, I've seen a Tempo with a SHO V8 on the net at one point, but I hardly thik it's worth the effort when the 3L is easier to swap and produces good numbers.

Posted By: slolx50_dup1 Re: V8 contour - 04/24/04 03:19 AM

Yep, you have to cut that piece out to make a little more room for the GT40 transmission

what is this GT40 transmission you speak of. i have never heard of it. you might be thinking of the GT40 crate motor.
Posted By: Nighthawk Re: V8 contour - 04/24/04 05:29 AM
Do a search for SHO V8 swaps. I'm sure it would fit with some modifications,

Neither the v6 or v8 will fit. The v6 is too tall, the v8 is too long (remember they added 2 more cylinders to the 2.5L.)

Quote:

I've seen a Tempo with a SHO V8 on the net at one point, but I hardly thik it's worth the effort when the 3L is easier to swap and produces good numbers.

It was a v6 SHO motor, and he had to do a lot of cutting to make it fit in the Tempo, SHO-PAZ.
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: V8 contour - 04/24/04 01:16 PM
Originally posted by slolx50:

what is this GT40 transmission you speak of. i have never heard of it. you might be thinking of the GT40 crate motor.

Sorry I was sniffing too much crack again...

Completely worded it wrong. The kit comes with the T5 manual. I meant to say the GT40's transmission. You are cutting so that the bellhousing clears.
© CEG Archives