Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Bill @ SigLM 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 05:40 PM
Ok, just taking a poll to see what you guys think about the new 2006 Lincoln Zephyr.

It will be FWD and AWD with a 3.0 or 3.5 Duratech.

2006 Lincoln Zephyr
I like it a lot! Order me one today
Looks Good, very clean
Looks OK, will have to see in person
I don't like it at all.

Posted By: mmars_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 05:43 PM
LS replacement?

I like it though.

--Matt
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 05:45 PM
It's a definately still a Lincoln. Interior is for old folks. Front grill needs to go. Too big. Ok maybe I'm being too picky. I like the rest of the car though.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 05:49 PM
Now if it was available with a V-8....

The styling is definately not adventurous. Decidedly sedate. Seems the engine choices are similarly lackluster compared to the competition.
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 05:49 PM
I think the exterior looks great; smooth, clean, new, thankfully not overtaken by "heritage"....it moves forward in a very good way.

So, 3.5 Duratec, hmm, is the power gonna be upped compared to ford 500/freestyle platform? Either way thats gonna scoot along very nicely.

The interior needs to be more sporty imo. As is, it looks classy, and the "brand DNA" is evident, but with a small car like this it should be sportier looking. Wood accents are nice when used sparingly (unless its a jag). And the overall square shape of the dash isn't too much to my liking.

All in all it seems to be promising granted the price is right. Its a definite for production right?
Posted By: Bill @ SigLM Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 05:55 PM
Yes this is a go for production! It will be about the same as the Ford Futura(?) and the Mercury mid-size (no name).

It will be placed below the LS in price and size.

My thing is, I hope it comes with a MTX at least.
Posted By: Freakshow Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 05:56 PM
I like the exterior...looks kinda like a BMW from the side. Love those headlights but it needs some foggies up underneath. Interior looks elegant but kinda grampa-ish for my tastes. I'd really like to see what kinda power that 3.5 is gonna put down on it, but then it looks to be more of a luxury car than a sport car. If they offered some sort of sporty package that could be sweet.
Posted By: JasonJ Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 06:28 PM
is that supposed to be an Acura TL competitor?
Posted By: NorMich99SE_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 06:28 PM
Not entirely sure about reviving the Zephyr name, but over all I like the car. Would be nice if the engine had some decent grunt to it though.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 06:29 PM
i like it, but the gauges need to go. dont like the square shape. looks like they ripped 'em out of some old car. retro is fine, but its supposed to have a modern touch not look like it was ripped straight off an old car.

everything else i like. the body looks great, the rear end especially. interior looks pretty nice as well. overall looks like a nice car. hopefully it has some go, and a manual.
Posted By: akrump47 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 07:02 PM
Nice. Dosen't look very sporting, but it's handsome. If it's the same size as the Futura it should scoot with the 3.5! The interior is too squarish and boring though.

Personally I'd rather wait for a Futura ST/SVT. That should be the true sucessor to our cars. Or a Mazdaspeed 6
Posted By: janostak Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 07:14 PM
A smooth & clean exterior, but a little bland and "generically" Lincoln--the taillights are interesting. IIRC, the Zephyr was a styling leader and this car isn't. Can't say I like the interior much at all. I also think they shouldn't bother with the 3.0---upscale power for an upscale car.
Posted By: EvlBill Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 07:55 PM
The exterior looks fine, although it would look better without the giant chrome grill. But I'm not too taken with the interior. It's too square for my tastes. And unless it came with a manual transmission, I wouldn't even consider it.
Posted By: dsickles123456789_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 08:12 PM
the interior looks similar to that of the new 150

Posted By: Bullet Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 08:39 PM
Hmmm a luxury sedan with the same interior as a pickup truck. Umm yeah.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 09:00 PM
that rear end is sexy!
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 09:26 PM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
that rear end is sexy!

nice G35 taillights

the square instrument cluster looks like it's from an F100 not an F150
Posted By: Booger Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/08/04 10:10 PM
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:

What years are you talking about. I've seen square gaged F-150s, at least I think I have.
Posted By: bluetour_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/09/04 12:13 AM
Overall, I like it, but the dash and interior seem to be taking the square motif a little too far. It would be nice, if at the very least, the gauges weren't square. Hopefully those won't make it to production. Even though I wouldn't be putting my money down on it, its definitely a nice car. What is it supposed to compete with? It seems now all the mid-luxury cars are sporty. Is this supposed to be sporty, or just have sporting pretensions (3.5 Duratec)?
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/09/04 12:27 AM
...blah... It looks like an old folks mobile. That interior is horrible. Definitely aimed at the 50+ crowd, IMHO.

Also, I've never liked the Maxima-like HUGE heavy wheels.

Sorry Bill.

BP
Posted By: 2KSESportV6 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/09/04 12:35 AM
The outside looks nice but the interior can use some work. It's ugly and too old fashioned for me. Could it be a Continental relacement?? I heard last year that theyre gonna come out with a new Continental around that year, but I guess not. Anybody know anything about that?
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/09/04 01:00 AM
Interior too over done. Now if the EPA (so I've been told) would allow the new Commom Rail diesel in US cars that is being offered in the Jag, 2.7L 206hp, 360 ftlb torque @1800 and overall 40.3 mpg and 47.3mpg at steady interstate speed. Which for some strange reason Delphi's supplying injection/computer system and not Visteon. The EPA does not like Visteon? Visteon is only allowed to develop diesel for trucks???
So how is it that Damiler getting to intro a new Diesel? MB E 320 CDI.
Anyhow it's silly we now can have gas powered lap-tops and battery power cars.

Paul
Oh I forgot Americans can't stand the smell of diesel? Nope the sulfur is being removed in diesel and just read even in gasoline?
Posted By: Faboo Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/09/04 01:06 AM
G35 from da back....7 series from da front
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/09/04 01:11 AM
No its not the continental replacement, when that comes around, it will probably be named the continental.

Originally posted by blueovalnews.com:
27 March 2004
Robert Lane

BlueOvalNews has confirmed that Ford Motor Company will officially introduce the long awaited "Baby" Lincoln LS at the 2004 NYIAS (New York International Auto Show) on 07 April 2004.

Lincoln has decided to call the new model the ZEPHYR - a name that harkens back the to original 1936 model.

The vehicle will be built off of the Mazda platform that will also be shared with other Ford models. Lincoln plans to market the Zephyr as the entry level Lincoln below the LS. Pricing should be close the $30,000 U.S.D. - hopefully, without massive incentives or rebates.

Whats with the hating on the 3.0 duratec. I think it would probably be the lincoln version that puts out like 240ish HP I believe (and that gives pretty good times in the LS, a larger car), and i'm sure the 3.5 will be significantly better, sounds to be covered on the perf. aspect.

The rear end is sexy, it would be even sexier if the tail lamps were filled with mercury vapor like the Mark VIII, that would be HAWT!
Posted By: DFT_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/09/04 02:46 AM
The exterior is pretty good. The center section of the dash looks like some kind of upset mechanical man's face.

I haven't seen anything about an MTX. A six speed ATX is mentioned in a few articles. Disappointing.
Posted By: vudusvt_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephyr - 04/09/04 05:39 AM
Overall, I like it. Bill mentioned that it will be below the LS in price and size? Gee, wouldn't that make it about the size of a, oh... I don't know... CONTOUR?!

Got any definite stats for both trim levels? Will either be available w/ MTX?
Posted By: BaBySHO419 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/09/04 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Zoe:
The outside looks nice but the interior can use some work.

Same.
Posted By: Sarge43 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/09/04 06:51 AM
Poisonaly I think they should have gone to Chip Foose and said hey dude design us a modern Zephyr. I'll bet he'da come with something that you could get your visual teeth into. This one I'm afraid ain't fly very far (pun intended.)
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/09/04 02:18 PM
Originally posted by todras:
It's a definately still a Lincoln. Interior is for old folks. Front grill needs to go. Too big. Ok maybe I'm being too picky. I like the rest of the car though.

werd
Posted By: lightngsvt Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/09/04 02:26 PM
I like the exterior, just needs a smaller grille and a bit more of an "angry" face. The interior does not fit the "spoty" theme at all! It looks like it would be at home in a Town car, not a car in the same price class w/the TSX, 3 series A4, etc. Not a bad attempt overall, but needs tweaking.
Posted By: Beachboy_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/09/04 04:03 PM
Originally posted by todras:

Well, Lincoln markets towards an older audience -- like me. I doubt if there are many Lincoln owners in their 20's and 30's. I like the interior and the grille, and I always liked some wood in the interior, even if its fake, and the grill is a Lincoln signature. I'm getting to the age I would even like to see more chrome on new cars than they have right now.
Posted By: ghosstryda Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/09/04 04:38 PM
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
that rear end is sexy!

nice G35 taillights

my thoughts EXACTLY when i saw those rear lights... and the front end looks like a bite off the bmw 7 series... and forget the interior all together... fwd? c'mon now... if this is a replacement for the LS, i think it will fail more miserablly than the Tbird and Marauder...
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/10/04 07:10 AM
The interior is retro. Check out the door panels. And the steering wheel is the ugliest thing since the Saturn Ion's.

The light coloured wood is just trying too hard.

Ugh.

Kerry
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/10/04 08:46 AM
It ios the first CD338 car to see the light of day. I want to see the "Finalist" and "Milan", too. Names possible for Ford/Merc cars.
Posted By: janostak Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 04/10/04 01:22 PM
This is not a replacement for the LS--it will be the baby brother of the LS--the new entry level Lincoln.
Posted By: 99CSVT Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 09/07/04 06:44 PM
It does still need some more work (that's what a concept is). But I do still think it's a step in the right direction.
Sean
Posted By: chrisilversvt_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 09/08/04 04:40 AM
dig up any old posts lately...lol...
Posted By: Keith W_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 09/08/04 05:26 AM
I agree with the grill, but I guess I'm getting old, I like the interior.
Posted By: 99CSVT Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 09/08/04 05:29 AM
No.
Sean
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 09/08/04 12:22 PM
Originally posted by chrisilversvt:
dig up any old posts lately...lol...

Hey, it's better than starting a new one and having Todd come in and bellyache.
Posted By: neelnug_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 09/08/04 04:56 PM
I'd buy it!

The interior is a bit weird but at least its different
Posted By: contorted Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 09/08/04 07:17 PM
I agree that Lincoln is stepping in the right direction. I must give them credit given the financial constraints Ford has. However, I still question Ford's inability to fund some of Ford's much needed product in LM. Ford is paying attention to customer needs but I think they are mixed up. More RWD cars, more powertrain options, and a DNA for the family design is needed much like Cadillac or Infiniti to have a long-term plan. I see people in this thread are complaining and praising the interiors, extertiors, engine options, etc. There has to be some point to this polarizing thread of comments on the Zephyr. Lincoln should either do it right or just fail miserably. This car is targeted to younger/newer Lincoln buyers. That interior is nice but I thought its too mature for some younger tastes and should be sportier. Maybe they should reserve certain aspects of this car for the Lincoln loyalists on the Town Car or future Continental much like Caddy is doing for the 06 or 07 DTS. Much of that interior design is already in the Aviator and Navigator. Id like to see RWD or a V8 like 3-series but that doesnt mean they cant have a competitive FWD product..i.e. Acura TL. It all depends on how Lincoln wants to position itself and what strategy they pursue. The Zephyr still has about a year to go still. Hopefully they tweak it some more, I cant wait to see.
Posted By: DFT_dup1 Re: 2006 Lincoln Zephry - 09/09/04 03:41 AM
It really needs a manual transmission!! I think that my Mystique was the last MTX car that my LM dealer sold. That was close to eight years ago!!
© CEG Archives