Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: CSVT1214 Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/14/04 06:13 PM
I really hoped I never saw the day when I would be posting on here that the SVT got into an accident but that day came today.

(For those Connecticut CEGers you'll know where i'm talking about) Well last night I was coming home from my dads house in Hartford after picking up my little brother after a night out on the Berlin Turnpike. I was driving on Rt. 72 heading toward Bristol next to exit 7 for New Britain when my night turned really bad. I drove down the hill next to the off ramp for the exit and at the bottom of the hill there is a bend on the highway. I reached the bottom of the hill and as I was coming around the bend, I saw a big dark square ahead of me on the highway. I was driving the in the far left lane and as I got closer I realized it was a minivan in my lane with no hazard lights or lights at all, period. At first I thought the minivan was moving very slow but as I got closer I saw that it was stopped dead in the middle of my lane. The vans engine had stalled out on the highway and she couldnt get it started at all. I started to brake hard but wasnt going to stop in time if I didnt brake harder. I was attempting to switch to the next lane but traffic was too heavy at the time to cut to the next lane without getting hit. I had no choice but to just try and stop before hitting the van. I had my friend's girlfriend following me in her 01 Accord and I was just thinking the whole time she is not going to stop in time and rear end me. I came to a complete stop finally with only being 1 foot away from the van!! The Accord managed to cut into the next lane at the last second and avoid hitting me. Thank god.

There is where everything changed. All I remember is only being stopped for about 3 seconds when I looked in my rear view mirror to find a car coming up on my very very fast. I had no time to react to it. I couldnt move or even have time to tell the 3 other people in the car that we're going to be hit. I just start swearing alot (cant list what I said ) All that moment all I heard was the sound of tires skidding and slide down the highway. Next thing I know we got rear ended by a 96 Neon that before trying to stop was traveling at probably over 80 mph seeing as how he was in the middle of racing someone on the highway.

He hit the rear bumper dead center destroying the rear bumper and pushing in the frame so that its pushing against the rear tires. At the time when I was hit, my foot was on the brake holding the car at a stop. The car hit so hard that he pushed me into the minivan and wedged me under her rear bumper. Everyone was wearing seat belts and walked out fine although my friend in the front seat hit his head on the windshield, a passenger in the rear hit his knee against one of the front seats, and my little brothers head came foward and hit the rear of my seat. I was the only to not hit something.

At the time I had a hot chocolate in my hand which got thrown into the windshield from my hand and went all over. CDs were thrown from the center console where the E-brake drops down to the windshield. My friends radar detector that I was borrowing was no longer on the windshield, it ended up on the floor unplugged from the lighter somehow??

We all got out of the car to find my rear smashed in and the front of my car stuck end the vans rear bumper.

A state trooper came a few minutes after calling. When he got there, he asked if my car was drivable so I can get it out of the lane and onto the shoulder. I said yes, it was still running after the accident believe it or not. I started backing it up and was pulling the van with me until I broke free and the van dropped down from being held up.

The noticable damage so far is the rear bumper, trunk lid, frame under the rear bumper, possible front bumper (didn't get to look at it really good), hood bent at the front, and at least one new headlight. The Neon that hit me is the car at fault in the accident and i'm at no fault what so ever. I was at a dead stop when I was hit. The lady with the van got out of her van yelling at us thinking that we were the ones that drove straight into her. She was yelling the entire time trying to blame us. We just yelled back at her and asked her flat out, "What the [censored] were you doing in the middle of the highway with no hazard lights or even lights at all period??" and she shutup. After speaking with the officer and him letting her go home, she walked by us and in a rude voice said, "Good luck boys." If she really thinks she is going to take us to court for this or think she has something to go on against us, she can think again. And oh yeah, not to mention she lied to the officer about her lights because the accident summary says that the vans lights were all turned on which is complete [censored].

I just want to say that I think about the SVT alot differently after last night. This car is built very strong. For it to be able to take an impact from a car going that fast I know its a very safe car. Not to mention how good the brakes are to be able to stop that fast and no one else being able to.

I'll be getting my rental car tomorrow from Enterprise since its covered under my insurance. Dont know what i'm getting yet. The car is going to be looked at Monday to check out the damage and get an estimate. Luckly i'm not going to have to pay for the damage. Now I finally realize why everyone feels so safe in these cars. I just hope my baby gets fixed up real nice.
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/14/04 06:17 PM
Good luck with getting the SVT fixed. Damn lady bytch in the van huh.
Posted By: Kokopellian Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/14/04 06:20 PM
Wow, glad you're all okay. Sounds like a total loss for the SVT though.
Posted By: 99SVT_dup1 Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/14/04 06:44 PM
That sux dude. Glad everyones OK, and I hope your able to get your car back.

I'm somewhat familiar with connecticut. I have cousins out there that used to cruise that Berlin Turnpike all the time. That [censored] was fun!! That's the best, most active cruise scene I've ever seen. Way better than anything we have in Detroit besides our big events like the Woodward Dream Cruise.

I'll probably be out in CT sometime this spring with the CSVT. Probably hit up the Pike.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/14/04 07:07 PM
Originally posted by 99SVT:

I'm somewhat familiar with connecticut. I have cousins out there that used to cruise that Berlin Turnpike all the time. That [censored] was fun!! That's the best, most active cruise scene I've ever seen. Way better than anything we have in Detroit besides our big events like the Woodward Dream Cruise.

I'll probably be out in CT sometime this spring with the CSVT. Probably hit up the Pike.

Yeah, the Berlin Turnpike is crazy on the weekends. I dont think I've ever see that many modded cars together in one place. Last night was crazy though. They were randomly driving tow trucks around and if you were parked in a parking lot with your car, they would stop in back of your car and start towing it out. I just missed getting towed. I squeezed through a small space next to him and drove off. A black Jetta was getting towed and he hopped in his car while they were hooking it up to the truck and drove up over the curb and over the grass to get away. Lots of racing last night too. I raced a new Grand Prix and an Integra last night. Me and the Grand Prix were neck and neck. He said it has 200 hp but wieghs 3400 lbs.
Posted By: sigma Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/14/04 08:12 PM
This raises the question of whether you should press the brake when you're going to be rear-ended. I would think that you shouldn't, unless you were at a cross-walk with pedestrians in front of you. Pressing the brake only makes the force transferred many times worse and you're going to go forward into the car in front of you no matter what, it's only a question of how fast you are going when you do it.

Also, it doesn't matter if she had lights on or not, if you're stopped on the freeway any accidents caused are your fault. If someone speeding rear-ended her, they have to prove that they would have hit her no matter their speed, and then the judge would decide who was what % negligent.

Either way it goes, you're not liable for anything. The Neon and her insurance will probably end up splitting the damage on your car at some %, but that should be handled by your insurance company, not you.
Posted By: 99SVT_dup1 Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/14/04 08:53 PM
Yea, I remember hanging out in the parking lot at some fast food joint, taco bell? maybe McD's? Can't remember but everyoe was parked in front like 2-3 cars deep. And there was a parking lot in the back that you weren't allowed to park in, but peopel would and then they were getting towed, it was pretty funny. We used to go in my cousins 00 white mustang GT. Now he's got a white lightning So next time I"m there we will have to represent the SVT's.

Originally posted by CSVT1214:

Yeah, the Berlin Turnpike is crazy on the weekends. I dont think I've ever see that many modded cars together in one place. Last night was crazy though. They were randomly driving tow trucks around and if you were parked in a parking lot with your car, they would stop in back of your car and start towing it out. I just missed getting towed. I squeezed through a small space next to him and drove off. A black Jetta was getting towed and he hopped in his car while they were hooking it up to the truck and drove up over the curb and over the grass to get away. Lots of racing last night too. I raced a new Grand Prix and an Integra last night. Me and the Grand Prix were neck and neck. He said it has 200 hp but wieghs 3400 lbs.

Posted By: maxx_power76 Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/14/04 09:44 PM
Sorry about your car. It's good that nobody was hurt. It could have been ugly. Like if the people in the mini van were checking under the hood.
Posted By: Pigeon Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/15/04 04:33 AM
If she really thinks she is going to take us to court for this or think she has something to go on against us, she can think again. And oh yeah, not to mention she lied to the officer about her lights because the accident summary says that the vans lights were all turned on which is complete [censored].

Talk to the nice officer who did the report NICELY and RESPECTFULLY and ask why the report says that. It could come back to bite you in the ass. Doubtful, but possible. Ask your buddies in the car with you if they saw that there were no lights on either. Have them write down statements as to how the accident happened, what they saw, etc. ASAP. Do it yourself too. Chances are that DUMB B!TCH is going to sue you and the other driver, so you'd better cover all your bases before they belong to her.

Sorry to hear about your accident, happy to hear everyone walked away. Expect to be sore as hell for a few days. Time to go car shopping 'cause with that kind of damage the insurance going to total your car.

Scott
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/15/04 04:55 AM
Sorry to hear about your car, man.. I will say this, though..

Even if the car is totalled.. its a damn good trade, to be able to keep you in the world, instead..

Ray
Posted By: Renee_dup1 Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/15/04 12:46 PM

Hey man, not to burst your bubble, but you might want to take this part OUT of your post if you can, this kind of talk is illegal on this board in case you DIDN'T read the rules.
Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/15/04 01:14 PM
Glad you're OK. Investigators can sometimes figure out if the lights in the van were on - they can analyze the filaments to see if they were warm or cold at the time of the accident. I'd try to follow up as best as possible with that aspect.
Posted By: shaunst24 Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/15/04 01:19 PM
not good m8 but at the end of the day you all walked away from it thats the main thing
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/15/04 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Pigeon:
If she really thinks she is going to take us to court for this or think she has something to go on against us, she can think again. And oh yeah, not to mention she lied to the officer about her lights because the accident summary says that the vans lights were all turned on which is complete [censored].

Talk to the nice officer who did the report NICELY and RESPECTFULLY and ask why the report says that. It could come back to bite you in the ass. Doubtful, but possible. Ask your buddies in the car with you if they saw that there were no lights on either. Have them write down statements as to how the accident happened, what they saw, etc. ASAP. Do it yourself too. Chances are that DUMB B!TCH is going to sue you and the other driver, so you'd better cover all your bases before they belong to her.

Scott

Very good advice!!
Go to the Police Department and see if they will write a "supplement" to the Police report for you. Some Departments do this, others will attach your (and your passengers) statement to their report. Do it ASPA as Scott suggested!! Take your passengers with you when you go also.
It can't hurt to have your account of the accident well documented.
Again, as Scott said, be very nice and respectful.
Sorry about your car! Glad that no one was seriously hurt!
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/15/04 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Renee:

Hey man, not to burst your bubble, but you might want to take this part OUT of your post if you can, this kind of talk is illegal on this board in case you DIDN'T read the rules.

Yeah, sorry I forgot bout the racing thing again. I tried to edit it but it said its been too long to edit now.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/15/04 02:36 PM
I'm really starting to feel the physical effects of being in the accident. My neck is really sore and hurts to turn far. My friend said his neck and side of his body really hurts. He had trouble getting out of bed the next morning.

I know everyone seems to think that the car is probably totalled based on how I described the accident but I doubt it. It seems to sound alot worse when I typed it. The car is getting released from the tow lot today and brought to a local dealership in Bristol to get fixed. I'm going to get some pictures of it when it does and i'll post them so everyone can see it. And worse comes to worse, if it's totalled, i'll just get another one with the insurance money but T-Red this time.
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/15/04 02:42 PM
dang dude sorry about your car but atleast your ok thatsall that counts.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/15/04 05:14 PM
I came to a complete stop finally with only being 1 foot away from the van...

At the time I had a hot chocolate in my hand which got thrown into the windshield from my hand and went all over.

If you got rear-ended, how did the chocolate end up on the window? I also read about heads bumping windshields & legs cramming into the seat backs...

Well, no matter really. The guy in the Neon will likely be considered at-fault for the whole deal. I just hope his lawyer doesn't see these posts.
Posted By: epattonm Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/15/04 05:31 PM
It's wip lash, as the car smacked them from the back, it moved forward unexpectedly, and quickly. Since they weren't expecting it, the impact made them move forward, just as the car did. Recall he still had his foot mashed into the brakes. It's the same as stopping really fast, but without warning, and in a jolting fashion. This clear things up?
Posted By: ElKy Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/15/04 05:41 PM
the actual hit from the rear, especialy if he was stopped, would have caused the passengers to jolt backwards first.
them hitting the mini van in front of them would cause the forward motion.
Posted By: 99SVT_dup1 Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/15/04 06:23 PM
Originally posted by ElKy:
the actual hit from the rear, especialy if he was stopped, would have caused the passengers to jolt backwards first.

Bingo. Jeez didn't the rest of you ever take physics in high school.
Posted By: Bullet Re: Bad accident with the SVT!!! - 03/15/04 07:00 PM
Originally posted by ElKy:

Bingo. Jeez didn't the rest of you ever take physics in high school.

I think it's more like common sense.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Finally pics of the damage - 03/16/04 04:47 AM
well i went down to the dealership today where my car is going to be getting its body work done. i took a bunch of pictures of the damage. i was going to load them directly onto the forum but theres too many and they are all too large at the full size.

Pics of the damage

i'm sure most of you will realize that the damage is not as bad as it sounded in the story but still very bad. i doubt the car is totalled. notice how alot of things dont line up properly such as the trunk lid. it overlaps part of rear. the frame in the rear is pushed against both back tires. the doors in the rear dont look like they are shutting all the way. the hood is raised up and bent in the front. the front bumper has a large crack in it. the drivers side headlight is shattered. and i even took pictures of the hot chocolate that went all over the windshield and dash.
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/16/04 04:58 AM
Not as bad as I thought it would be but still pertty bad.
Posted By: epattonm Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/16/04 06:17 AM
That rear bumper is ugly. What type of spoiler is that?

nice Coffee stains.
Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/16/04 02:42 PM
Originally posted by epattonm:

nice Coffee stains.

Leave your comments to yourself stupid! Just because you think it's ugly doesnt mean he's gonna take it off just because you think it's ugly. CSVT1214 sorry to hear about your car man once again hope everything goes right with it and good luck
Posted By: BlackSativa Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/16/04 03:16 PM
Originally posted by contourfreak22:
Originally posted by epattonm:

nice Coffee stains.

Leave your comments to yourself stupid! Just because you think it's ugly doesnt mean he's gonna take it off just because you think it's ugly.

I think he just meant that it looks pretty torn up from the accident.
Posted By: Renee_dup1 Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/16/04 04:14 PM
Originally posted by BlackSativa:

yeah........I'm SURE that's what he meant
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/16/04 04:35 PM
that is what he meant.
Posted By: epattonm Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/16/04 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Renee:
Originally posted by BlackSativa:

yeah........I'm SURE that's what he meant

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. Besides, why would I hate the same style bumper that I have on my own car?
Posted By: Cueball Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/16/04 08:26 PM
Expect over $5k damage. It may be totalled, depending on mileage.
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/16/04 10:33 PM
If you have pain symptoms, SEE A DOCTOR. TODAY. If you are a horrible mess in two weeks but did not see any doctor since the crash, the insurer for the other driver will dispute your problem is really from that crash. Injury claims live and die with the quality of your documentation. Every time you see your doc, don't just say how you are doing that day, but also cover all of your symptoms for the other days since you last saw the doc. Don't be a whiner or a complainer, but a good historian. Do you have private medical insurance or medical insurance as part of your car policy? Many states require that. Ask your agent what med pay or PIP coverage you have, if any. Find out now. You don't want to be at the mercy of the other drivers' insurance to get your bills paid, as they'd use that to screw you. ("Sure, we'll pay your $2,000 in owed medical bills. Just sign here to settle your pain and suffering claim for $10, and we'll fix all your bills.")

Things don't line up on a unibody car? Your car still may be a total loss. Watch out for the ADP or CCC print outs from the other insurer saying your car is worth less than you think by a bunch. Then when they low ball you on the value of your car, they will pull the plug on your rental car to force you to take their cheap offer. Even if you owe more on your car loan than what they offered. Yeah, that's fun.

But if your car is fixed by the Neon's insurer, you STILL might have a claim for diminished value of your car. The Neon's insurer will ignore your claim for that as long as you represent yourself. You will need an appraiser to evaluate your car and do a written report to support that claim.

If the insurer for the van or the Neon calls you and asks to take your recorded statement, you can decline. Or you can agree to do one without recording it. If you allow a recording, you can insist on getting a copy of the tape or transcription. But the problem is the old "anything you say can and will be used against you later" routine. The adjuster interviewing you will be hoping you blurt out answers that hurt you without you knowing it. If the interviewer is with your insurance policy, then you do want to cooperate. But be careful, you might be confused if your insurer is the same company as for one of the other vehicles.

If you talk to attorneys, ask what they charge. Not just what percentage, but also "of what." One third of your "pain and suffering claim" is less than one quarter of everything, it that includes all your medical bills, car repair bill, etc. That difference can be big. And NO, they don't all charge the same. At least not out here, they don't.

Good luck. May your hassles be minor. You might be in for a few.
Posted By: MAZDASPEED Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/16/04 11:27 PM
Please do not think that all insurance companies are out to screw you. Most insurance companies are out there to assist you thru a difficult experiance and compensate you for your loss and hardship. Please don't go into this thing thinking that the insurance company is going to "lowball" you.

Be as cooperative as possible and you claim will be resolved. Be careful with attorneys.....
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/16/04 11:36 PM
I saw that spoiler on eBay, I think they made only a few if not only 1 (custom). The one I saw was in Canada. IT's very attractive and becoming for his car.
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/17/04 12:29 AM
Gee, I just saw in the newspaper here back on 12/6/03 about a jury trial outcome that Farmers Insurance of Oregon ("Farmers puts you back where you belong") was found via a class action suit to have DEFRAUDED 7,200 of its OWN customers, leading to a verdict of $9.5 Million.

Last fall, a trade organization of the USA's casualty insurance companies announced that the year for which it had just completed its statistical review was the most profitable year for the organization's members, in terms of insurance operations, or premium dollars in vs claims dollars paid out, since the organization formed in 1984. Was that profit from "runaway juries"?

When Farmers, State Farm and Allstate implemented the "Colossus" software program to evaluate injury claims in Washington State, after calibrating the computer program to value injury claims in an amount in agreement with what a panel of experienced adjusters agreed the claims were worth, one or more of those companies then recalibrated the program down, so that it would then undervalue claims by 15% with the expectation that claims adjusters guided by that system would believe claims were worth lower values and thus hold fast in attempting to settle claims. For less than full value.

State Farm got lots of press in the business journals in 2002 or 2003, over it being rocked with huge penalties in litigation over its dealing in "bad faith" on claims.

Allstate? Their new ads are great. But in reality? I got an attorney fee award out of them last December when they refused to offer what my client's claim was worth and my client allowed me to sue and we won.

Yep, the insurance companies are your friends. You've got nothing to worry about. All the car crash injury attorneys are leaving that field because the insurers are SO fair, there's NO work for them any more. (Hey, can I sell you a $25 mod on e-bay? It will increase your HP by 10%!)

But again, don't hire an attorney until you've asked questions of several AND done your homework, or else you could be victimized a second time.
Posted By: MAZDASPEED Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/17/04 12:39 AM
PDXSVT, are you a P.C.?? You seem to have a real negative opinion of insurance companies, I'd be interested to know more about your experiances...
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/17/04 01:35 AM
Glad to hear your're "OK". Get checked out, healthwise things can happen later related to the crash but because you didn't document thru a doctor, you're out of luck insurance wise. Hope all the things that don't line up can be repaired. And regardless of what SVT says, most of my experiences with insurance claims have not been pleasant. I just had wind damage to my home's roof and I can tell already I'm gonna get screwed over. Seems to be a fact of life.
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/17/04 01:50 AM
No, while I sound negative, they do a WONDERFUL job of keeping me in business. I've had clients whose own insurers paid the other drivers' property damage claims, only to have the clients hire me and actually investigate the law... and win for them. On one case, I had to straighten out my client's own local Allstate adjuster for mis-reading ORS 811.415. Her own adjuster initially blamed my client for a crash and said the other driver was in the right under that statute, but it turned out the other driver was violating that statute, and Allstate's adjuster eventually thanked me for educating her. You'd think a professional car crash claim adjuster with a major company would already know how to read a traffic law. But maybe that IS too much to ask, as the adjuster for the other driver, a smug beotch with Providence Washington Insurance, stuck to her incorrect statutory interpretation to the bitter end.

On another claim, I've got an adjuster with Hartford and his claims supervisor both pissed at me right now for declining their chump change offer, but they'll go ballistic once they realize I did tell them the truth on how ORS 20.080 works. They will later be paying my client in full AND me an attorney fee award only because they were TOO cheap. My guy had a wage loss of $301.64; his car, fixed after the crash, was professionally appraised with a diminished value of $1,740; and he had a "pain and suffering" claim for while he was in medical treatment for a month and a half. Witnesses blamed the crash on Hartford's driver. All that Hartford offered before suit was filed was a lousy $1,000 to cover all those three items (yes, you read that correctly) even AFTER I told them I'd sue and seek attorneys fees.

Yeah, I've had a few experiences with insurers in doing this for 20 years. I paid for my 2003 christmas presents on attorney fee awards from them being cheap. And they'll pay for my wedding this year. I LIKE that they are so cheap, but it's a headache for my clients to have to go all the way through litigation, just to get what they're due.

Where is our current litigation explosion coming from? There are many contributing factors. I can nominate one of the several.

So, SVT, are you an adjuster, or do defense litigation, or are you in policy sales?
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/17/04 02:08 AM
allstate is the worst f'ing company. my police report stated flat out the other party was at fault w/ a witness. because the other party denied it, allstate said they have to support their client no matter what the police report says. my company, amica, is still trying to get my deductible that i ended up paying thru amica. after this, i've heard nothing but horror stories about allstate (including from friends who are adjusters for other companies).

tony, what dealer is your car at to be fixed?
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/17/04 02:24 AM
"That's Allstate's position. You're in good hands."
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/17/04 02:29 AM
Originally posted by hmouta:
allstate is the worst f'ing company. my police report stated flat out the other party was at fault w/ a witness. because the other party denied it, allstate said they have to support their client no matter what the police report says. my company, amica, is still trying to get my deductible that i ended up paying thru amica. after this, i've heard nothing but horror stories about allstate (including from friends who are adjusters for other companies).

tony, what dealer is your car at to be fixed?

my car is being fixed at Crowley Autobody in the Forestville section of Bristol. i know of people who have personally got work done there and they did a very good job. everyone i spoke to said to go there or Stevens Autobody in Bristol. the good thing is that my insurance company authorizes both of them for body repairs. by the way, i have Allstate for insurance. we have already dealt with them before when my last car was stolen and believe me, they have never tried to screw us out of anything.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/17/04 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Cris'pus:
I saw that spoiler on eBay, I think they made only a few if not only 1 (custom). The one I saw was in Canada. IT's very attractive and becoming for his car.

Yeah, I bought it on eBay a few weeks after I bought the car. I payed $193 painted and shipped. Yes, it was from a company in Canada. I saw it for a while around the time when I bought it and I think they only sold one more after mine. I've yet to see anyone else with one. Once the car is fixed and spring time comes, i'll be putting on E1's, 2 36" Red Underneons, B+G 1.6" lowering springs, 35% tints and a nyceboi emblem for the front grill. I'll be taking a bunch of good pictures once I get all of that installed.
Posted By: Cueball Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/17/04 02:23 PM
Word to the wise - if you don't think your auto insurance company is trying to screw you, you aren't looking hard enough. That's how they make money.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/17/04 05:18 PM
Just don't ask "what" is in good hands. They might ask you to cough.
Posted By: bullion Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/17/04 09:06 PM
Yeah, I can speak from experience....those SVT repairs costs sure do add up quick. I had a minor accident several months ago. I lost control while going around a corner and ended up going over a curb. The main blow was taken by the front two wheels (including tires of course). Other stuff that was damaged was one strut, one control arm, and some scratches caused by a near by pine tree branch. I think the total damage was well over $3k.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/18/04 02:46 AM
so its not being totaled then? thats cool. i'm glad you've never been on the other side of allstate then. one of the adjusters who had seen my car (we starting bullchitting for 45 minutes) said he was at a stop light stopped and a car rear ended him. his pickup just needed a new bumper/rollpan. so the other party's insurance (allstate) said they'd pay for 50% of the damage. when the adjuster asked him why just 50%, they said cuz he's partly at fault. how do u figure that. they actually told him cuz if he hadn't been on the road he would've never gotten hit. if it was some old lady who didnt know sh!t, she probably would've accepted those terms. of course he explained to them how things were gonna be and they quickly paid up. cheating people like that is how allstate gives low rates. allstate and some other company was notorious for getting sued for not paying up in home insurance and pushing for quick shotty home repairs that led to disatrous results for the homeowners when the poor cheap repairs started to surface. obviously all companies no matter what the industry have good and bad people working for them, but i've just continued to hear terrible stories about allstate.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/26/04 03:23 PM
Ok, well I know I havent posted any updates on this in a while but I've been very busy and had no time to do it.

Well I got the damage estimate a few days after my last post. The total is going to be $5,900. At first they said that they were going to just fix it and not total it but then the insurance company got the estimate and they said they need to decide whether its worth fixing or not. They just got back to us on Tuesday afternoon and told us that they are going to have Crowley go through with the repairs. I stopped down on Wednesday afternoon to get some of my stuff out of the car and they let me go in the shop so I got to see the car. They already had the back end all taken apart and had just started on the front. I'm expecting to get it back in about 1 1/2-2 weeks from then. Until then I'll unfortunately be driving my dads extra car. And what do you know, it's a 96 Neon, just like the car that hit me.

And oh yeah, not to mention we recieved a forwarded letter from the guys "former" insurance company stating that the claim that was sent to them could not be processed because Hartford Insurance dropped them as of December 13, 2003 due to non-payment. So in simple terms, the guy who hit me is uninsured. Right now Allstate is covering all costs for the damage and they will fight out of with the Hartford to get reimbursed for it. We are also going to try and get my money back that I will have to dish out. I have to pay a $500 deductible for the damage and $190 to repaint a rear panel that got scratched by the back bumper when it came up on the side of the car from being pushed in the back.

So until I get my car back, I got a few mods just waiting to be installed. I get to look at these everyday and I have no car to put them on. I have B+G lowering springs (1.6 inch drop), E1's with Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's, 2 36" Red underneons, and a nyceboi SVT emblem.

Posted By: Pigeon Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/26/04 07:04 PM
Bummer about the other car being uninsured, but it's BS that you are out of pocket one thin dime. Read your policy, specifically the "uninsured motorist" section. It should say that you're 100% covered, so you shouldn't be out your deductible, and if the panel got scratched due to damage from this accident it should be covered.

Good luck,

Scott
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: Finally pics of the damage - 03/27/04 09:40 PM
Yep, check your policy and your "declarations" page. You MIGHT be out your deductible even with UM coverage. Does your UM coverage cover BOTH bodily injury AND property damage?

Meanwhile, even if your company is paying to have your car fixed, you may ALSO have a claim for "diminished value" of your hit and fixed vehicle. The $5900 repair bill strongly suggests you have such a claim.
© CEG Archives