Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I just got ticketed for driving 84mph on a 65mph highway in Virginia (I-81 near woodstock) in my Mystique. I was not aware that I was going this fast, I got caught in a pack of cars passing trucks. This counts as reckless driving in Virginia and I have to go to court, anyone ever get charged with this in virginia? Can I take driving school to avoid it going on my record? How much is this going to cost? Please avidse me what to do.
thanks
Just pay it and take what you have to for it.
My dad got pulled over for doing 60 in a 35 zone (The cop clocked him out of town just before the speed limit changed to 55) He went to court and I don't remember what he had to pay, but it was a lot better than what they originally said.

I think you can take defensive driving so you don't have the points on your license.
Go to court! IMHO you will most likely get the ticket cut in half and a few points... or you might get lucky and the officer won't show up! but more than likely you won't be charged with wreckless driving and if they do tell them that you will voluntarily go to a offensive driving class..

good luck
Originally posted by SKWAT:
I just got ticketed for driving 84mph on a 65mph highway in Virginia (I-81 near woodstock) in my Mystique. I was not aware that I was going this fast, I got caught in a pack of cars passing trucks. This counts as reckless driving in Virginia and I have to go to court, anyone ever get charged with this in virginia? Can I take driving school to avoid it going on my record? How much is this going to cost? Please avidse me what to do.
thanks

Know any lawyers? Often times you pay them, they go to court and get the ticket reduced to something like a non-moving violation. We do that at my office all the time. I've had it done a couple of times myself (you can only do it very very few times..)
Originally posted by Nate'sTour:
thanks

Know any lawyers? Often times you pay them, they go to court and get the ticket reduced to something like a non-moving violation. We do that at my office all the time. I've had it done a couple of times myself (you can only do it very very few times..)

Or you could just own up to your actions, pay the fine, and move on.
The cop was in the right lane and I was approaching behind him in the left lane. As soon as I saw him I slowed down and pulled in behind him, the other cars passed me! He put his lights on and swung into the shoulder and pulled in behind me. He caught me with his rear radar!
Go to court and tell the truth. If you're honest they'll reduce it. If you get lucky the cop wont show up.

I don't think that it will be that simple in Virginia. VA crucifies everyone for anything! I am only 19 and I am charged with reckless driving, I have to appear in court! I have heard that VA can suspend my licence for this!

Any Virginians been through this mess before?
man court aint nothin, i didnt go for anything driving related but it was something a little worse im only 17 had to go when i was 15 also spent two weeks in jail before the court appereance that really sucked but is not that bad really
Originally posted by gearhead98:
man court aint nothin, i didnt go for anything driving related but it was something a little worse im only 17 had to go when i was 15 also spent two weeks in jail before the court appereance that really sucked but is not that bad really

Were you arrested by the grammar police?? I'd be looking over my shoulder for them if I were you.
i know i should be because i can't speak for sh!t
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:
thanks

wtf you act like you never got a ticket, ppl make mistakes and the man is jsut asking for advice on how to take care of it so i think he is owning up to it. If you don't have any useful advice, keep ur mouth shut, that simple.

Yes.

Usually you get a fine, the judge won't drop the charges down, won't let you take driving school, and you end up with 6 negative points on your record.

That's what happens if you have 5 good points on your record.

If you don't, I have no idea. Judges can suspend your license, or even put you in jail, for reckless driving. There was a judge in Botetourt County (some hole off of I-81 in southwestern VA) who was sentencing all 20 over speeding convictions to a few days in jail a few years back.

I don't think that it will be that simple in Virginia. VA crucifies everyone for anything! I am only 19 and I am charged with reckless driving, I have to appear in court! I have heard that VA can suspend my licence for this!

Suck it up man. I'm 19 also. I've lost my licence three times. Gone to court 3 times for driving and 2 times for other stuff. It's not a big deal really. If you do something just take it man.
Less than twenty over on the interstate and it's reckless driving??? In Illinois we call that "speeding," $75, go well citizen. Start a militia.

--T.J.
Virginia sucks eh? I live in Winchester, I've got 11 tickets, all for between 6 - 12 miles over the speed limit, never had a reckless or accident that was my fault. Lost me license 3 times over it and don't get it back now until may. You have to go 18 months without getting a ticket or they will suspend it. I hate this state. I hate the cops, and I usually like cops. They all have a chip on their shoulder, especially state troopers around here. Screw em.. Do I sound bitter?

Ryan
If I present the case like this:

The time was 9:30 it was completely dark. I was in the left lane, traveling at an unknown speed, passing tractor trailers in the right lane. There were no vehicles immediately in front of me, there were however several vehicles closing up the space behind me. The vehicle directly behind me was a larger vehicle, either a van or SUV. I signaled and turned into the right lane to allow the vehicles that were behind me to pass. I slowed to match the speed of the traffic now in front of me. The vehicle now in front of me was an unmarked Virginia highway patrol car. The officer turned on his lights pulled into the right shoulder, slowed down, and came up behind me. The officer said he clocked me at 84 MPH with his rear facing radar. I do not know the exact speed I was traveling, however I do not believe I was traveling at 84 MPH.

My case would be that the officer clocked the vehicles behind me in the left lane (radar usually picks up the fastest moving object). When I turned into the right lane I was going the same speed as the cop.

Do you think I can fight it?
Are there lawyers that fight traffic tickets? I don't have alot of money, But if I could get a lawyer to help me fight for a couple hundred dollars or so I would pay it.

Thank-you for all the advice!

The time was 9:30 it was completely dark. I was in the left lane, traveling at an unknown speed, passing tractor trailers in the right lane. There were no vehicles immediately in front of me, there were however several vehicles closing up the space behind me. The vehicle directly behind me was a larger vehicle, either a van or SUV. I signaled and turned into the right lane to allow the vehicles that were behind me to pass. I slowed to match the speed of the traffic now in front of me. The vehicle now in front of me was an unmarked Virginia highway patrol car. The officer turned on his lights pulled into the right shoulder, slowed down, and came up behind me. The officer said he clocked me at 84 MPH with his rear facing radar. I do not know the exact speed I was traveling, however I do not believe I was traveling at 84 MPH.

Are there lawyers that fight traffic tickets? I don't have alot of money, But if I could get a lawyer to help me fight for a couple hundred dollars or so I would pay it.

They would say night does not matter you should be looking at your speedo. They would think you are a dumbass. Trust me. Been there done that when I was 16.
Originally posted by SeR Guy1:
Virginia sucks eh? I live in Winchester, I've got 11 tickets, all for between 6 - 12 miles over the speed limit, never had a reckless or accident that was my fault. Lost me license 3 times over it and don't get it back now until may. You have to go 18 months without getting a ticket or they will suspend it. I hate this state. I hate the cops, and I usually like cops. They all have a chip on their shoulder, especially state troopers around here. Screw em.. Do I sound bitter?

Ryan

Hey Ryan, It Scott(from Sears/party Jeremy's). I got myself into a mess! Good to hear from you though. I agree, Virginia and their cops do suck!
Originally posted by skrilla187:

They would say night does not matter you should be looking at your speedo. They would think you are a dumbass. Trust me. Been there done that when I was 16.

My case would be that the officer clocked the vehicles behind me in the left lane (radar usually picks up the fastest moving object). When I turned into the right lane I was going the same speed as the cop.
You pretty much have 2 choices.

1. Bend over and take it (and if you ask real nice they might provide a little spit for lube)

2. Fight it. Take a look at http://www.motorists.org/ Get a lawyer (maybe one that is reccomended on that site) Join to get their information ($35 a year) fight it yourself. Just a warning in VA (from what I have heard (depending on the county)) if you are doing stupid things and wasting their time or they think you are trying to weasle out of the ticket on a technicality they might make it even worse that it was(your fine can go up when you show up to court)

VA likes to throw the book at people speeding. Anything more than 20 over the limit or over 80 no matter what the speed limit is an automatic reckless driving ticket.

Ohhh yeah and keep it very slow in VA (sometime I might actualy take my own advice about things).
It is for this reason I do not go more than 5 miles over the limit...... no matter what, and I have NEVER gotten a ticket for speeding.
I don't understand why you want to speed, unless it's an emergency. You only get to your destination on average 2 minutes faster. So would you rather get there 2 minutes earlier and risk getting pulled over to face crap like this, or drive no more than 5 over and NOT have to face crap like this??
Going no more than 5 over has ALWAYS worked for me.

Now, I would suggest hiring a traffic lawyer for cheap, let them go and play with the judge for a few minutes. This should help unless you have other violations on your record.

And pay higher insurance for a simple mistake?
Originally posted by nOsSvTcOnToUr:
thanks

wtf you act like you never got a ticket, ppl make mistakes and the man is jsut asking for advice on how to take care of it so i think he is owning up to it. If you don't have any useful advice, keep ur mouth shut, that simple.

Originally posted by TJSwoboda:
Less than twenty over on the interstate and it's reckless driving??? In Illinois we call that "speeding," $75, go well citizen. Start a militia.

More than 80MPH generally or more than 20 over is reckless driving in Virginia.

I used to live in Illinois 15 years ago and I still miss it.
I was ticketed in Mecklenburg County last Memorial Day for 81 in a 65 (pulled over one mile from the NC border - wasn't I the lucky one). So like you, I was facing reckless driving. Anyway, I hired a lawyer ($250) to go to court for me. I didn't have any other tickets or points on my record. He got the ticket reduced to 73MPH, provided I took a defensive driving course and paid the fine for the ticket (which I did). The reason for 73MPH is my insurance (Allstate) gives you one freebie for speeding provided it's not more than 8 MPH over the limit (or something like that).

All in all, it was an incredible hassle, but IIRC, Reckless Driving stays on your record for up to 10 years (and can even affect your rates for life insurance!!), so do whatever you can to fight it.
Originally posted by moxnix:

VA likes to throw the book at people speeding. Anything more than 20 over the limit or over 80 no matter what the speed limit is an automatic reckless driving ticket.

And we've got a RINO in the state legislature who wants to allow red light cameras. That bill, fortunately, failed AGAIN. But never fear, she'll try again next year.
Originally posted by Renee:
It is for this reason I do not go more than 5 miles over the limit...... no matter what, and I have NEVER gotten a ticket for speeding.
I don't understand why you want to speed, unless it's an emergency. You only get to your destination on average 2 minutes faster. So would you rather get there 2 minutes earlier and risk getting pulled over to face crap like this, or drive no more than 5 over and NOT have to face crap like this??

Now, I would suggest hiring a traffic lawyer for cheap, let them go and play with the judge for a few minutes. This should help unless you have other violations on your record.

I'm not condoning speeding, but, in a fictional situation, if the limit was 55 and I was going 85-100, I guarantee you I will get there faster than 2 minutes had I gone the limit. But, you did say averages.

Ok, I know VA sucks. They will give you a ticket for noise violation if you talk on your celly with the windows down. Sorry, that probably wasn't funny. Tell us what your driving record is like and maybe we can help you from there. I always get a lawyer. I'll gladly pay whatever $$$ as long as there are no insurance points, screw the DMV...
Originally posted by FreeProjectPat:

Tell us what your driving record is like and maybe we can help you from there. I always get a lawyer. I'll gladly pay whatever $$$ as long as there are no insurance points, screw the DMV...

I have a perfect driving record other than this.
Man WNY Cops pull me over for LEGAL WINDOW TINTS, and I'm surprised I have yet to be found speeding. Damn cops, I say fight it with someone who knows someone so to speak, if you can't do that, well then buddy, chances are you're paying that fine.

..Damn Cops
SInce W. Virginia and Virginia are 2 different states, will the points transfer? I know if I get caught in WV, those points will not tranfer to my PA license. Then again, I would probably be arrested since I'm a Yank.

not true two weekends ago i was gonna be driving from durham,nc down to wilmington,nc well mapquest said it would take me about 4 hrs to get there (actually going to bolivia) and i made it there in two and a half hours all the way to boliva, most of the way i was doing 80 in a 70 zone, but i got it up to 100 a couple of times, best thing to do would be to get a radar dector so you know when to slow down

not true two weekends ago i was gonna be driving from durham,nc down to wilmington,nc well mapquest said it would take me about 4 hrs to get there (actually going to bolivia) and i made it there in two and a half hours all the way to boliva, most of the way i was doing 80 in a 70 zone, but i got it up to 100 a couple of times, best thing to do would be to get a radar dector so you know when to slow down

And you actually BELIEVE Mapquest??

Maquest is good for getting directions, but do not believe what it says on time. It keeps telling me it will take 10 hours to get to my sister's place in central Florida when it actually only takes 6 1/2 to 7, depending on traffic.
I also DID say on average it will be two minutes. That's everyday normal driving.
Quote:

best thing to do would be to get a radar dector so you know when to slow down

heh, this is true. I'm 16 and haven't been caught for speeding once. However, my dad being a cop and all told me if I DO get pulled over for speeding and the Cop sees the radar detector, he'll throw the warning out the window and give you a hefty ticket.

Although, this is the man that gave me some bull about them using "lasers" instead of radar and that it wouldn't work. What a load of crap that was..

Good for you I speed frequently as it's SOOOO much fun! I use a radar detector and good road sense and that has ALWAYS worked for me.
Go change your name, Identity and run to Mexico if all fails. But seriously, the only advice that I can give you is if you go to court, dress up and be very polite. It should help you with the "I'm innocent" pleadings.
Originally posted by GoSox:
Quote:

Although, this is the man that gave me some bull about them using "lasers" instead of radar and that it wouldn't work. What a load of crap that was..

Actually they do use a "laser" when they are sitting on the side of the road waiting for you. If they are driving they use a radar but when they are parked they zap you with a "laser gun" which is still technically a radar but your detector won't tell you its there until they fire it and then they got you.
Ask for a formal hearing so you can meet with the prosecutor. Admit guilt, and ask for leniency. This is the beast way to go. Pleading innocent just insults the officer, and mocks the judicial system.
Go to court....dress nice...shave and all...and admit guilt, but with an explanation "Your Honor."

Tell them you know you shouldn't have been going that fast, but as the trucks were "buffeting your car", you decided to pull out and pass. You misjudged the car coming up behind you at a high rate of speed, and attempted to speed up to get out of this persons way as fast as you could, in an effort to get back down to your driving comfort level. You had no idea that you had gone that fast, and was quite surprised that you were pulled over and not the guy who blew past you. Tell the judge you have a healthy respect for the law, as evidenced by your clean record. Then tell him that you intend to never do anything like this again, and that the only real puishment that will come out of this is that your insurance rates will go up.

I have found that "Yes Sir" and "Yes Ma'am" and looking them dead in the eye while being calm and confident goes a long way in making yourself believable. think about how many 19yld punks the judge sees. Break the mold, and he/she might break the mold on their sentence as well.

You were on I-81, right? I'd agree, don't try to plead innocent, but explain that you were trying to break past the heavy nighttime truck traffic. Point to your clean record and acknowledge that you made a mistake in not watching your speedometer more carefully, and that you're willing to attend a driver-education refresher course in exchange for changing the reckless charge to simple speeding.

That's what I'd do.
Quote:

Umm... You do know that they use lasers now, right? And that your chances of detecting one and stopping before the cop catches you are extremely small because the detector only goes off when the cop has already lit you up.

I regularly speed 25+ over, never ever go less than 10 over (except at night where I do my best not to exceed 10 over), and have only received one ticket in 7 years. And I've never had a radar/laser detector either.

Your eyes can usually see further than a detector can detect or a cop can light you up, and you just gotta slow down as you crest a hill (which anyone should be doing anyhow).

Only thing I worry about are cops behind me and undercover cops. And 95% of the time that's nothing that a sticker showing your support of law enforcement, a military dependent ID (expired by now) conspicuously placed in the same holder as your license, and making their job as easy as possible can't handle.

More than once I've gotten out of ticket because I did everything possible to make thier job easy. Pull off the road as much as you possibly can, turn your wheels in towards the shoulder, immediately roll down your window, turn on your interior lights, turn off you car and place your keys on the dash and both hands on the top of the wheel, and do not move to retrieve any documents or you wallet until he/she asks you to. On several occassions I've had officers comment on my thoroughness -- which gives me an opportunity to mention my grandfather and father who both work/ed in law enforcement, which is almost always a ticket out of things (no pun intended).
Originally posted by sigma:
Quote:

Umm... You do know that they use lasers now, right? And that your chances of detecting one and stopping before the cop catches you are extremely small because the detector only goes off when the cop has already lit you up.

I regularly speed 25+ over, never ever go less than 10 over (except at night where I do my best not to exceed 10 over), and have only received one ticket in 7 years. And I've never had a radar/laser detector either.

Your eyes can usually see further than a detector can detect or a cop can light you up, and you just gotta slow down as you crest a hill (which anyone should be doing anyhow).

Only thing I worry about are cops behind me and undercover cops. And 95% of the time that's nothing that a sticker showing your support of law enforcement, a military dependent ID (expired by now) conspicuously placed in the same holder as your license, and making their job as easy as possible can't handle.

More than once I've gotten out of ticket because I did everything possible to make thier job easy. Pull off the road as much as you possibly can, turn your wheels in towards the shoulder, immediately roll down your window, turn on your interior lights, turn off you car and place your keys on the dash and both hands on the top of the wheel, and do not move to retrieve any documents or you wallet until he/she asks you to. On several occassions I've had officers comment on my thoroughness -- which gives me an opportunity to mention my grandfather and father who both work/ed in law enforcement, which is almost always a ticket out of things (no pun intended).

BRAVO Sigma! Well stated. I follow the same regiment.
Did the cop tell you that was reckless driving? because under 20 mph in the state of virginia is speeding not reckless driving.

Check out the different point assessments. There is no reckless driving listed for going 10-19 mph over limit.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/drivers/points_assess.asp

Also I have gotten two reckless driving in Virginia and let me tell you just get a lawyer because Virginia does not play. When I went to court I saw 22 people get suspended licenses and 3 people go to jail for reckless driving. They will take out of state licenses two. The judge made that very clear to us. Luckily I had a lawyer who was friends with the court attorney, so I go my violation dropped to a speeding ticket.

Also my lawyer explained to me that Virginia will not give driving school or a PBJ. If convicted expect to get points for some kind of violation.

As fars as points transferring. I live in Maryland and regular speeding violation do not transfer points to Maryland, but the violation does show up on your record. Reckless and DUI however from what I have been told will transfer points from state to state.
Quote:

Did the cop tell you that was reckless driving? because under 20 mph in the state of virginia is speeding not reckless driving.

Well, if you read that page you posted, reckless driving is defined as speeding 20MPH or above the posted limit OR speeding in excess of 80MPH.

For your clicking benefit:
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/drivers/points_6.asp

It's a 6-pointer that stays on for 11 years -- the same level as a DUI, Hit-and-Run, and Vehicular Manslaughter. Not a charge you want to play around with.
Ahh, thanks I missed that. Damn Virginia laws are way to strict.
to do would be to get a radar dector so you know when to slow down

In Virginia, radar detectors are illegal.
Originally posted by sboardi420:
Ahh, thanks I missed that. Damn Virginia laws are way to strict.

Virginia doesn't have an open container law and the seatbelt law isn't primary enforcement.

I'd GLADLY trade the stupid 20+MPH/80MPH reckless driving/radar detectors illegal laws for an open container law and a primary seatbelt enforcement law.

I really wish the Virginia legislative information website kept track of who voted for these moronic laws way back when. I'm thinking "southern democrat" based on when they took effect, but I'd love to be sure.

Originally posted by brianl703:
to do would be to get a radar dector so you know when to slow down

In Virginia, radar detectors are illegal.

Yeah, what's your point? Speeding is illegal to. So if you're gonna speed, might as well break a few more laws while you're at it....
i got a ticket for 29 over. Dont remember specifics, but went to court, blah blah blah, paid between 5 and $600 including lawyer fees. Sucked, but oh well. You get over it.

Hopefully u have a part time job to pay it off, im lucky i did.
© CEG Archives