Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Y2K-SVT_dup1 Another one bites the dust... - 03/07/04 01:25 AM
Unfortunatly on sunday, febuary 29th 2004 my contour SVT was totalled....

the worst part is, my stupidity caused it

I was traveling home from a freinds house at 3:30am, when i fell asleep behind the wheel. i was doing approx 60mph, i struck a telephone pole on the drivers fender, just in ahead of the front wheel, the car rotated around the pole flipped upside down, and landed on the passenger side roof/ side of the car (basically where the windows are)... there is not a undented panel on the car... words cannot describe the damage that was done. i do have pictures and will try to get them uploaded for all to see. the car hit and rotated with such force that the spare tire bolted to the floor of the trunk, sheared free and was found 50 feet from the car. both sail panels and the rear spoiler also were torn free on impact. the absolute destruction was immense...

luckly i walked away... i broke my nose, had to have 8 staples in the back of my head, 14 stiches on the left side of my face, and horrible bruises all over (really bad ones on my thighs from the seat belt) the contour did its job and earned its five star safety rating with me...

i am at such a loss she was my baby, i loved my car

1115/2150 rest in peace
Posted By: chongo Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/07/04 01:37 AM
Holy Cow!!!!
Glad to hear your ok.
Sounds like what my ex sister inlaw did.
Nothing on her car was left unharmed or attached.
Posted By: Nate'sTour Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/07/04 01:45 AM
Ouch, thank God you're okay. You're right, that Tour saved your life!

Get those pics online.
Did the airbags go off?
How were you rescued?

Posted By: MysticFreak Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/07/04 01:46 AM
Ouch. Sorry to hear that man. Glad you weren't hurt worse...I hope you feel better soon. Sorry about your car....that's awful!!! I know how you feel....I once had to walk away from a vehicle that I loved very much and I miss her still! I know it's rough! We are mourning with you. Hang in there man and let us know what happens.
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/07/04 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Y2K-SVT:
Unfortunatly on sunday, febuary 29th 2004 my contour SVT was totalled....

the worst part is, my stupidity caused it

I was traveling home from a freinds house at 3:30am, when i fell asleep behind the wheel. i was doing approx 60mph, i struck a telephone pole on the drivers fender, just in ahead of the front wheel, the car rotated around the pole flipped upside down, and landed on the passenger side roof/ side of the car (basically where the windows are)... there is not a undented panel on the car... words cannot describe the damage that was done. i do have pictures and will try to get them uploaded for all to see. the car hit and rotated with such force that the spare tire bolted to the floor of the trunk, sheared free and was found 50 feet from the car. both sail panels and the rear spoiler also were torn free on impact. the absolute destruction was immense...

luckly i walked away... i broke my nose, had to have 8 staples in the back of my head, 14 stiches on the left side of my face, and horrible bruises all over (really bad ones on my thighs from the seat belt) the contour did its job and earned its five star safety rating with me...

i am at such a loss she was my baby, i loved my car

1115/2150 rest in peace

Hey man glad your okay.

By the way with your car being totalled, mine was to a few years a back. Insurance said it was a total loss, they got it fully reconditioned runs almost perfect, you can get that thing rebuilt.

Posted By: BrittB Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/07/04 02:49 AM
I feel your pain. Mine got totalled out a few days ago too, although not as near as bad as yours. I'm glad your injuries were not worse than they were. As for the car, you can replace that. You, we can't. I think it was a fair trade.
Posted By: akrump47 Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/07/04 05:59 AM
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
By the way with your car being totalled, mine was to a few years a back. Insurance said it was a total loss, they got it fully reconditioned runs almost perfect, you can get that thing rebuilt.

But would you want to with the damage he is describing? His frame is likely bent ...

Man I am sorry to hear that. I do hope you've learned a lesson from the experience!
Posted By: cap40SVT Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/07/04 07:10 AM
Glad to hear your alright though, sorry to hear about the car . How were you rescued?
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/07/04 09:21 AM
Damn, I know how that feels. Tha'ts exactly how I totalled the 91 Integra I owned for a month. Only difference is I was going 80, had 3 other people in the car, but no flipping going on. I didn't see how it was possible to fall asleep behind the wheel until I did it, now I'll NEVER do it again. Glad you're ok.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/07/04 02:37 PM
Will you part out the rims?

-JOKE- I'm kidding, thought I'd beat the vultures. Glad to hear you made it out relatively OK...that's got to be a horrifying experience.
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/07/04 04:15 PM
Big bummer about the car , but at least you're here to tell us about it .
Posted By: cruises8_dup1 Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/07/04 04:33 PM
Sorry to hear about the car, but atleast your okay!
Posted By: MysticFreak Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/07/04 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
Will you part out the rims?

-JOKE- I'm kidding, thought I'd beat the vultures.

Evil!!! You people are evil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/08/04 02:33 AM
So sorry about your 'tour!
Glad that your injuries weren't more serious!!
Take it easy and get some rest, hope you're feeling better real soon!
Posted By: Y2K-SVT_dup1 Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/08/04 10:19 PM
Thank you all for your kind words, i always like the community feeling i had when talking on these boards...

i will have pictures up later this week... they are bad

The contour is a complete and utter wreck there absolutly no way to fix it (unless your willing to drop 30-40 grand) the entire frame of the car is bent to the point, where sitting on its wheels (2 of which are flat) that the rear passanger tire is off the ground... the roof along the passanger side of the car is literally at shoulder level (the headrest is touching the roof) the entire car is just a mess...

the car hit on the drivers side rolled onto the roof and continued to roll onto its wheels when it stopped... i actually used my sholder to knock (amazing since its so tight now) the drivers door open and then stood next to the car. i searched for my cell as it was in the center console when this all started. i never found it. i waited for 10 min, no one came along so i simply started to walk home. 10 min after that a couple pulled along side of me, asked me if that was my car, i said yes they took me home from there i called the police... i am by no means a little guy im 6'0" 225lbs, the seat belt restrained me with such force that it left dents in my thighs where it rode... these dents, as my doctor told me is where the fat in my thighs actually was moved out of the way all the way down to the muscle...

if you have any more questions let me know, and i will have pics up in a day or 2
Posted By: Beowulf Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/08/04 11:13 PM
Glad to hear you are OK.

When I had my little fender (er..hood) bender a few weeks back, a lot of people I know were shocked by how well I took it. Considering how dangerous the road I drive every day is, I was just grateful it wasn't as bad as yours.

Sorry about the 'tour though...it is a shame to hear that another one is gone.
Posted By: MercuryMystik99 Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/09/04 01:39 AM
I dont know if its the right question to ask, but at which point of the crash did you wake up? I cant ever imagine waking up in the middle of a crash. Im really sorry to hear that man.
I know ALL about flipping Contours. I am glad to see you are okay.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/09/04 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Antonio:
I know ALL about flipping Contours. I am glad to see you are okay.

Ditto!
Posted By: Kung Fu Troll Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/09/04 12:53 PM

-R-
Posted By: White99SE Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/09/04 01:32 PM
Sorry to hear that! It's amazing you were able to walk away from that. Glad to hear your OK!
Posted By: rollingstash_dup1 Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/10/04 02:18 AM
Wow, yet another survivor story in a contour.

I just hate to think of how many there are that don't get to tell their story.

Good luck healing up.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/11/04 01:04 AM
Man, I felt like crap when I rear ended someone and scratched up my bumper. If I was you, I'd be going through withdrawal. But simply amazing--especially the part about the "dents" in your thighs. You are one lucky SOB. Just amazing. Good luck in finding another Contour. I assume you'll be looking, right?
Posted By: Alex T._dup1 Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/11/04 01:11 AM
Glad to hear that you walked away.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Another one bites the dust... - 03/11/04 06:12 AM
I swear... even if I were not in the market for a Contour, I think I will always keep a spare beater in the garage... they are the most wonderfully forgiving cars, when it comes to protection. I cannot begin to count the number of stories I've heard like this.. I totalled my first contour, being rear-ended by my brother in HIS contour at 60... totalled it too.. but we walked away unharmed..

Take a few days to calm, and collect yourself. You are alive, and I agree.. it was a more than fair trade.

I thank God you are here, man..

Ray
© CEG Archives