Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Chaser231 Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 05:22 AM
i have noticed many ppl getting rid or trying to sell their SVTs, what was your reason? or input on my observation.
Posted By: BaBySHO419 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 05:25 AM
Heck im happy to take em'
Posted By: m!key Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 05:27 AM
it is a good thing if you are a buyer. the competition for selling will drive the prices down. if you have a 98 svt and are trying to sell it in the classifides for 10 grand you will be out of luck for sure.
Posted By: izzodesh Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 06:14 AM
hmmm
my bro was gonna
but we decided to spend ALOT more money..
heehheheeh
AZ here we come this august..
Posted By: 18psi2300 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 06:45 AM
Nothing SVT specific...it happens with ALL cars this age.
Posted By: rouar Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 06:48 AM
Originally posted by 18psi2300:

Precisely ... even the newest SVTs are four to five years old now. And the E0's ... man they're old!
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 06:49 AM
Originally posted by 98 SE:

Precisely ... even the newest SVTs are four to five years old now. And the E0's ... man they're old!

Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 07:19 AM
Originally posted by hetfield:

And? They are damn nice cars....STILL!!!
Posted By: USMCSVT Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 07:21 AM

But they're the most fun
Posted By: 18psi2300 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 01:21 PM
Originally posted by LoCoZ:
And? They are damn nice cars....STILL!!!

Exactly! And in the end it works out great for cheap bastards like me that won't buy a car unless its less than $5k, because pretty soon SVT's will be coming into my price range .
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 01:40 PM
It means the next time i blow something big, it's SVT time
Posted By: Lee K Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 03:42 PM
Some thoughts:

1. SVT owners are generally "car guys", so after a few years of ownership, they are ready to move onto something different.
2. Horrendous depreciation. My E0 SVT with 95K miles, which I paid full list price for in June 1997, might be worth $5K at best. People who are looking to trade or sell their SVTs are wiser to do it sooner rather than later.
3. Nagging problems. My SVT drove me crazy in the last two years: squeaking suspension, bad wheel bearings, a leaking power steering hose, an antenna that won't retract anymore, water in the trunk, a failed catalytic converter, a head unit that won't load CDs anymore, and tires that wore out at 14K (related to the wheel bearings, I hope). Face it -- SVT contours aren't Hondas. I suppose a number of people just get tired of putting up with the hassles.
4. Technology marches on. The SVT was a bargain in 1997, and a very strong performer. Seven years later, we have Nissan Altimas and Honda Accords with 240 HP, for God's sake! The SVT is a nice car, but it is being upstaged with newer, faster, and more reliable automobiles. See number 1 above.
5. Changing demographics. As Contours age, their original set of owners are now older, presumably making a bit more money, and have moved on to performance/luxury cars such as the Mazda 6s, the Nissan G35, and the Acura TL. That leaves used Contours moving to the "first car" market, like teenagers looking for their first set of wheels. You can see it in the newbies on the CEG boards. Lots of young whippersnappers now.
6. Automotive revolution. The era of the pony car is dead. We now have super-quick Japanese all-wheel drive cars that capture the fancy of today's youth. While The Fast and Furious crowd is a bit removed from your typical Contour enthusiast, the influences are there, and the siren song of STi's, Evos, and tricked out Civics is strong.

Lee K
98 SVT Contour, silver
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 03:51 PM

she's so damn old (7 years this june) AND BEAUTIFUL!!!

Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Lee K:
Some thoughts:

1. SVT owners are generally "car guys", so after a few years of ownership, they are ready to move onto something different.
2. Horrendous depreciation. My E0 SVT with 95K miles, which I paid full list price for in June 1997, might be worth $5K at best. People who are looking to trade or sell their SVTs are wiser to do it sooner rather than later.
3. Nagging problems. My SVT drove me crazy in the last two years: squeaking suspension, bad wheel bearings, a leaking power steering hose, an antenna that won't retract anymore, water in the trunk, a failed catalytic converter, a head unit that won't load CDs anymore, and tires that wore out at 14K (related to the wheel bearings, I hope). Face it -- SVT contours aren't Hondas. I suppose a number of people just get tired of putting up with the hassles.
4. Technology marches on. The SVT was a bargain in 1997, and a very strong performer. Seven years later, we have Nissan Altimas and Honda Accords with 240 HP, for God's sake! The SVT is a nice car, but it is being upstaged with newer, faster, and more reliable automobiles. See number 1 above.
5. Changing demographics. As Contours age, their original set of owners are now older, presumably making a bit more money, and have moved on to performance/luxury cars such as the Mazda 6s, the Nissan G35, and the Acura TL. That leaves used Contours moving to the "first car" market, like teenagers looking for their first set of wheels. You can see it in the newbies on the CEG boards. Lots of young whippersnappers now.
6. Automotive revolution. The era of the pony car is dead. We now have super-quick Japanese all-wheel drive cars that capture the fancy of today's youth. While The Fast and Furious crowd is a bit removed from your typical Contour enthusiast, the influences are there, and the siren song of STi's, Evos, and tricked out Civics is strong.

Lee K
98 SVT Contour, silver

#1-depends on your definition of a car guy is, most would love to tinker around with an aging car that has the tuning aftermarket our cars have achieved. . .

#2-depreciation sucks, but you don't own a car to worry about it losing value, ALL OF THEM DO, some at higher rates than others. . .it's a valid point for people itching to get rid of their CSVT, but if you bought a car, keep it and drive it until it falls apart at the seams. . .

#3-Just replace the parts, yeah you sink in a grand in parts, but you replace them with better quality replacements, and the squeaks and rattles go away (or at least 99% of them do).

#4-Sink more money in to boost it. It makes sense to me, that way you can keep up with the current displacement wars (honestly, 2.5L engine are small compared to the standard 3.5L v6's running around). . .nothing a t3/t4 couldn't help.

#5-Unless i total her, I will never get rid of her. Too much love.

#6-I'll take apart an Sti or an Evo anyday, just need to finish some mods I have planned <insert Mr. Burns evil laugh>

Suneil
98 E0 SVT
Posted By: akrump47 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 04:02 PM
I see this going two ways. One one side of the fence we have those who have kept their cars mostly stock and are now getting rid of them for newer, more uplevel, more powerful cars. (Mazda6, Scoobys, EVO, G35, Accord/Altima/TL all come to mind.)

On the other side of the fence we have those who have decided instead to seriously upgrade their car's performance to compete or even blow out of the water many of the aforementioned rides. Thanks to the Street Flight turbo kit we now have SVT Contours putting out 325-400 horsepower in street trim and nearly as much torque 3L swaps are a dime a dozen nowadays, and there is the eventual possibilty that someone truly insane with some $$$ will convert one of these cars to AWD.

It is these former group of people wo can be called the true "Contour Enthusiasts" IMO
Posted By: Dan Nixon_dup1 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 04:14 PM
Agree, SVT still has the best looking sheet metal short of a BMW... and the Duratec is still a sweet sounding, high reving motor. Still puts a smile on my face..

I look at the EVOs, the STis, the SRT-4s (really more for kids..ahhhh I mean young adults), all much faster but they look trendy and homely. Not for me....M3 still going to be my next car..after I lower the debt a bit
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Dan Nixon:
Agree, SVT still has the best looking sheet metal short of a BMW... and the Duratec is still a sweet sounding, high reving motor. Still puts a smile on my face..

I look at the EVOs, the STis, the SRT-4s (really more for kids..ahhhh I mean young adults), all much faster but they look trendy and homely. Not for me....M3 still going to be my next car..after I lower the debt a bit

Sound is another point, I'm glad you mentioned, something beautiful about the sonorous rise in cadence rowing through the gears in a CSVT. . .I've heard the I4's on the Evo and Sti, and the Rotary as well, and they sound like something I'd poop on. . .
Posted By: bxd20_dup1 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 07:37 PM
I love my car but there's been issue after issue, and at the end of the day it's a high powered FWD car. I know an LSD goes a long way, but it will never have the same composure as a well setup RWD car. It's been wonderful for what it's been, I've done some great mods, had tons of fun at insane speeds, got approving comments,,, but the 5 year/52k mile ride is coming to a close in the next few months. I remember picking it up in May 1999, on a warm, sunny Saturday. That drive home was wonderful. The sounds from the engine, the smell of the leather.

If it wasn't for the problems, I wouldn't get rid of it. 3 sets of rear sway links, 3 sets of rear sway bushings, tie rods, new steering rack out of my pocket(still clunks), tranny that grinds, dash that makes noises, and an alternator that somehow is getting stuck in really cold weather.

Leaning towards an 05 CTS, 3.6L, 6 speed manual, but we'll see.... the old 3.2L models will drop in price dramatically and I can't resist a bargain. :-) The SRT4 is a tempter but I think I'm too much of an old fogey at 28 to get one of those now.

Brian Dors
1999 CSVT
Posted By: janostak Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 10:36 PM
....and the siren song of STi's, Evos, and tricked out Civics is strong.

You must resist the dark side of the Force!!!
Posted By: MAZDASPEED Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/17/04 11:51 PM
I recently relinquished the keys to my beloved SVT. Mine had 92K and I had rust showing up in the wrap around folds on all of the door, trunk, and hood seems. The car looked mint and had NO exterior rust. The car ran very well but despite a new alternator (actually 3 OEM alternators installed by Ford) and an Optima Orange top the headlights would dim when slowing to a stop or when the brake lights illuminated.

My concern was that I owed $4000 on the car and knew that by winters end the car was going to have 100K and likely cancer. I fell into a little more omney at work and decided to take the plunge on an '03 holdover. I got a little more than I owed. If I had held off, I wouldn't be driving the car I wanted and I would have likely been upside down on the loan.
Posted By: TheRock249 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/18/04 12:05 AM

Just wait.. Fifty years from now, it'll be a classic, just along the lines of the late 60's muscle cars! (Doubt it, but thats what im hoping for)

Hopefully, fifty years from now ill be one of the very few SVT Contour owners!
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/18/04 12:30 AM
Besides... when SVT becomes history (likely in a few years), the value of our CSVT's will go up (some) and hold onto a decent value (aslong as they are in good condition) for quite some time. Limited production cars (the Csvt is RARE amongst alot of other cars, like focuses, intrepids, grand ams, and such) I mean, I see more BMW 320I's and Z4's in a day than I see contours... let alone an SVT contour. It draws attention, is fun to drive, and very reliable (so far). The young crowd WANTS to get their hands on the contour SVT (I know I did). I still remember the first time I saw a CSVT, back in early 99', and remeber saying..."WOW!, that car looks so cool... I hope one day I could have one." 3.5 years later... dream came true. I love my Contour SVT, and sure, I'd love one of them new-fangled sports cars and such... but, why?!
Posted By: ezsvt Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/18/04 11:28 PM
I got rid of mine because of nagging problems and 94k miles on the clock, but mostly because it didnt fit my lifestyle anymore as a daily driver. Admitedly, my car was ridiculously loud with long tube headers, gutted cat, and high flow mufflers, and that started to take its toll on me and my fiance, and my 35 mile each way commute.

I always loved the way the car looked, and some shared that, but most just didnt get it. I would have liked more power out of the car, as someone above mentioned, every car and its brother is now faster, more advanced, better handling, etc...but the market has dropped out from under them now, and you can pick one up cheap, so its a good time for a buyer to be looking now.
Posted By: Dan Nixon_dup1 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/19/04 12:11 AM
Actually, SVT will probably go on...BUT..they have decided to focus on the Cobra & Lightning and go more "high end". Which means that the CSVT and a handful of 5 door Foci SVTs may be the ONLY SVT cars ever made with 4 doors. Really could translate in a collectors item if kept nice at some point, esp if SVT really hits the big time..
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/19/04 02:45 AM
Mr. Nixon... I agree with you 110%
A lower end Merc, Audi or BMW...how anyone could even consider a nissan, honda or any other japanese car is beyond me...but then agian growing up in a muscle car community I grew to hate rice.
What does rice have to do with Nissans & Hondas ?
Originally posted by MarkO:
What does rice have to do with Nissans & Hondas ?

Yeah. I'll gladly take a G35 Sedan for 8k less and wipe the floor with that Beemer. And I have the same Euro-bias, but there's something about a real bargain...
Originally posted by Bozack:
A lower end Merc, Audi or BMW...how anyone could even consider a nissan, honda or any other japanese car is beyond me...but then agian growing up in a muscle car community I grew to hate rice.

Yea, I hear ya... I grew up helping my brother work on his mustang. (He shouldn't have sold it, but thats another story... the car was runnin low 10's in the qtr. before he sold it)

I think these cars will have more value to guys like us that really respect how unique these cars really are. The resale value of these cars really is pretty poor

I think im gonna run the Mystique into the ground... Although, if that ATX goes... its time for a manual swap
Posted By: fast80svt_dup1 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/21/04 05:48 PM
And the E0's ... man they're old!

True . . . true.

However, as far as I have seen, I have the youngest of the "old" E0's.
Posted By: SlowNfurious Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/21/04 06:08 PM
Originally posted by akrump47:
I see this going two ways. One one side of the fence we have those who have kept their cars mostly stock and are now getting rid of them for newer, more uplevel, more powerful cars. (Mazda6, Scoobys, EVO, G35, Accord/Altima/TL all come to mind.)

On the other side of the fence we have those who have decided instead to seriously upgrade their car's performance to compete or even blow out of the water many of the aforementioned rides. Thanks to the Street Flight turbo kit we now have SVT Contours putting out 325-400 horsepower in street trim and nearly as much torque 3L swaps are a dime a dozen nowadays, and there is the eventual possibilty that someone truly insane with some $$$ will convert one of these cars to AWD.

It is these former group of people wo can be called the true "Contour Enthusiasts" IMO

seems not worth it to dump that much money into the car. i like my CSVT and it does have a few mods, but i still do plan on having a new car next year. for me i just want something new to start on with no problems so i can spend more money on mods and not repairs.
Originally posted by 99MystiqueATX:

I think im gonna run the Mystique into the ground... Although, if that ATX goes... its time for a manual swap

My exact thoughts on the subject. Might as well toss in an SVT engine while I'm at it. And no, I don't need a lecture on the cost, difficulty, etc.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/21/04 08:40 PM
I'd say it has alot to do with whats out there right now to buy and/or whats coming out I mean stop and think about it, look at what I paid for my 2000 CSVT ($23.5K and w/ the Ford discount the car was $22K), what could/would you buy for $22K right now:

-Neon SRT-4 w/ enough left over to go right into the 13's!

-FSVT w/ enough left over to S/C it!

-Mini Cooper S which needs nothing!

-Mazda 3 w/ enough left over to mod nicely

-Sentra SE-R V-spec w/ enough left over to make it run VERY well

-WRX (year end closeout pricing)

-Lancer Ralliart w/enough left over to mod it out

These are a couple cars right off the top of my head and some of the reasons as to "why get rid of the CSVT?" That being said, I'm lookin' forward to modding my CSVT because I'm not done yet
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/21/04 08:43 PM
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:
what could/would you buy for $22K right now:

I got my Mazda6s for less than that
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/21/04 09:17 PM
Some thoughts:

Lee K
98 SVT Contour, silver

I will never buy a Japanese car, those pretty much suck! Id be alot much happier in a SVT Contour, those Japanese do not know how to build a car I would be happy in, Ford does. Out of alot of forign cars I have been in, none compare to a Ford. But when you have a bunch of movies on these import cars, you got a bunch of wannabes who wanna do exactly like they did because it was on a movie
Posted By: KnuKonceptz_dup1 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/22/04 12:18 AM
Originally posted by ContourKev:

I will never buy a Japanese car, those pretty much suck! Id be alot much happier in a SVT Contour, those Japanese do not know how to build a car I would be happy in, Ford does. Out of alot of forign cars I have been in, none compare to a Ford. But when you have a bunch of movies on these import cars, you got a bunch of wannabes who wanna do exactly like they did because it was on a movie

When I get my G35 6MT, I will show you what Ford DOES NOT have anymore....280Hp 270Tq stock... Available in 2 or 4 door.

If you havent guessed its a replacement for the SVT Contour, they make nothing in that class for 2004 or 2005.

2006 will be the year to get a Cobra, but I am not waiting that long to get a new car. I loved my SVT and think highly of Ford products ( Ford is the Only American Car I would buy ) But right now they do not offer anything to my tastes/power hunger range besides the Mustang, which IMHO needs that make over to be appealing.

PS - Add a Twin Turbo to the G or Z and you get 400RWHP and 380ft/lbs TQ.. on 8.5# boost.... it makes me happy in my pants
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/22/04 03:58 PM
Quote:

I will never buy a Japanese car, those pretty much suck! Id be alot much happier in a SVT Contour, those Japanese do not know how to build a car I would be happy in, Ford does. Out of alot of forign cars I have been in, none compare to a Ford.

Thats whats great about the CEG and internet, your entitled to your opinion, even if its "blind faith" You said you'd be happier in the CSVT than a Japanese car...have you ever seen an EVO or STi Now I've never driven one of those cars, but with 271/300 hp and AWD I'm 100% positive I'd like them more than my CSVT and I like my CSVT, alot Those cars were built with the "good stuff" from their parts bin, unlike our cars (i.e. not installing the 3.0L and Quaife/Torsen when they were readily available ) Personally the addition of those (2) items would've kept many CSVT owners in their cars. We can see lack of interest by SVT in our cars and it showed by not installing the 3.0L/LSD from the start. They new the car needed them, there not stupid...or are they
Posted By: Chris Shepley Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/22/04 04:57 PM
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:
Quote:

I will never buy a Japanese car, those pretty much suck! Id be alot much happier in a SVT Contour, those Japanese do not know how to build a car I would be happy in, Ford does. Out of alot of forign cars I have been in, none compare to a Ford.

Thats whats great about the CEG and internet, your entitled to your opinion, even if its "blind faith" You said you'd be happier in the CSVT than a Japanese car...have you ever seen an EVO or STi Now I've never driven one of those cars, but with 271/300 hp and AWD I'm 100% positive I'd like them more than my CSVT and I like my CSVT, alot Those cars were built with the "good stuff" from their parts bin, unlike our cars (i.e. not installing the 3.0L and Quaife/Torsen when they were readily available ) Personally the addition of those (2) items would've kept many CSVT owners in their cars. We can see lack of interest by SVT in our cars and it showed by not installing the 3.0L/LSD from the start. They new the car needed them, there not stupid...or are they

I would take my friends EVO over my recently purchased CSVT any day without a moment of hesitation. It is such a superior car in every measure of performance it is not even funny. But when it came to a purchase decision, I just bought a used CSVT instead of a new EVO or anything else because I would rather have a house too.
Posted By: JAGSVT Re: Trading in for 2005 GT mustang - 02/22/04 08:06 PM
I absolutely love my CSVT
but the 300hp '05 GT mustang is just too sexy to ignore
Late september, im afraid I may have to trade her in for exactly that.

Anyone else share that idea?
Posted By: JAGSVT Re: Trading in for 2005 GT mustang - 02/22/04 08:12 PM
one more thing:

to counter above-arguments:

the evo and Sti are feckin hideous in my opinon, which is a big deal when owning a car and having to look at it every day for long periods
yes, the performance is much better than the CSVT, but the contour's styling is sweet enough for me to get over that.
That's obviously just my opinion, but i HATE the look of both the Sti and the evo

Posted By: schnazlnflanger it's the legacy that lingers on - 02/22/04 08:44 PM
True to form, the car industry gets better and better every year. More power, more trinkets; there's always going to be more the next time around. The Ford Contour SVT in its day was a prime example of a sleek, sexy, high-powered car, that could, as intended, keep up with the BMW's of the day. I know for a fact that I won't EVER sell my CSVT. Not because it's the fastest thing around, (but boy do I love the look of surprise on some peoples faces when they think it's "only a contour"), not because its value has gone downhill, and quickly at that, but because it's been a journey through a car. I know my car inside and out. Terry Haines could tell you all a bit about that. You can't leave something that you know that well without serious regret later. To me, Jay Leno is another example. Does he mod all of his cars? NO! He has them because they were rare. True, there were less AC Shelby Cobras, but we've still got quite a jewel in our little Ford four-doors. It has sports car lines, with family-car size, and it's great on gas mileage. That's why I bought mine... that's why i'll keep mine.
Originally posted by Dan Nixon:
Actually, SVT will probably go on...BUT..they have decided to focus on the Cobra & Lightning and go more "high end". Which means that the CSVT and a handful of 5 door Foci SVTs may be the ONLY SVT cars ever made with 4 doors. Really could translate in a collectors item if kept nice at some point, esp if SVT really hits the big time..

What do you mean by collectors item? I love my CSVT, but at no point will it (or any other Contour SVT, Focus SVT, Lightning SVT,) be worth more than it is now. Heck I can't name an american car built in the last 20 years that will gain value. Maybe a ZR1, GNX, Viper, or new Ford GT, but they will have to have less than 5,000 miles on them. What's the point of buying them if they're not going to be driven? Just drive them and enjoy them. No one is building COPO camaros anymore.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/23/04 11:45 AM
The ZR-1 and GNX haven't really gained in value in the past dozen or so years, but low mileage GNX's have stayed in the area of $30-$40K, but ZR-1s seem to have fallen for some reason. There was a 90' ZR-1, the first year they came out, w/ 76K on the clock going for $30K and it was original and clean I agree with the above statement, drive em' and enjoy em'
Posted By: MxRacer Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/23/04 12:15 PM
Originally posted by KnuKonceptz:
Originally posted by ContourKev:

When I get my G35 6MT, I will show you what Ford DOES NOT have anymore....280Hp 270Tq stock... Available in 2 or 4 door.

If you havent guessed its a replacement for the SVT Contour, they make nothing in that class for 2004 or 2005.

2006 will be the year to get a Cobra, but I am not waiting that long to get a new car. I loved my SVT and think highly of Ford products ( Ford is the Only American Car I would buy ) But right now they do not offer anything to my tastes/power hunger range besides the Mustang, which IMHO needs that make over to be appealing.

PS - Add a Twin Turbo to the G or Z and you get 400RWHP and 380ft/lbs TQ.. on 8.5# boost.... it makes me happy in my pants

your loss is my gain!!
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/23/04 01:40 PM
I have to admit, I have been thinking about it a little. As the car ages, the repairs come more often, and I have the doorskin-trunklid rust problem. The rust is the biggest concern for me: I have done floors on two of my old cars, and I don't wnat to ever do rust work again.

Then there is are the other factors, such as changing needs. I just bought a house, and I have to clean up my dad's house. So, a hatch or a wagon could be useful.

Add in the latest unexplained "thoonk" from the suspension, and I am starting to wonder if it's worth keeping her. Of course, the first drive on the summer tires could make me change my mind......
Posted By: BEVAN//3L Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/23/04 04:27 PM
Well since I had some chatstrophic engine failure (due to nitrous)This has made me think about this also...

since I have had this car for a little over a year, the only complaint I have about it is that it dosnt run now.The only thing that would force me to get rid of it Would be some unbelievable horable finincial problem, But @ the same time I have decided to slow down on the idea that I will have a damn fast SVT Contour when Im done.

My perspective now is that This car Is going to be my car that I will take to the beach and just "Ride around in" and enjoy but will have every bolt-on and will be able to do a little @ss_kicking .

The car Isnt my main transportation (thats why I have a Ford Ranger)simply because I still have 31/2 years to pay on it and I dont want it to be loaded with milage when it gets paid-off,besides I love driving this car, And dont want to beat it to death on my morning/evening commute.

Right now, I just want to get the car running again so I can enjoy It again.

but my new plans for a "fast" project car are to a buy a 95 240sx and swap a sr20det engine in it,and that will be my fast car for now...

/Mike
Posted By: mmars_dup1 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 02/23/04 11:48 PM
I'm keeping my contour.... I've already promised it to the kids when they are old enough to drive.... 2014....

--Matt
Posted By: RoadiJeff_dup1 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 03/08/04 06:02 AM
> -Neon SRT-4 w/ enough left over to go right into the 13's

Plus a 0-60 time of 5.8 sec, 253 wheel hp, a top speed of 153 mph (drag limited) and a sticker price of under $21K. I'd take one tomorrow if I weren't still paying off my wife's PT Cruiser GT Christmas preset from two years ago.

BTW, if anyone wants an employee green sheet price on a Dodge or Chrysler drop me a line before the end of March. The special ends then.
Posted By: aspsocio Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 03/08/04 04:57 PM
Some thoughts:

im 18, and im on my third car and second CSVT....am i still a young whippersnapper?
Posted By: Lee K Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 03/08/04 05:27 PM
Quote:

im 18, and im on my third car and second CSVT....am i still a young whippersnapper?

Yes,of course. The whippersnapper epithet lasts until you're forced to buy your first minivan for the family.

Enjoy it while you can.

Lee K
98 SVT Contour, silver
03 Evo, red
Posted By: nikkidanjo Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 03/08/04 05:37 PM
I donā??t post much but I thought I would reply to this.
I sold my 2000 SVT last October. It was tough but hereā??s why.
After I bought my Contour SVT I started having problems. All my previous cars were high mileage and required frequent maintenance and the like. I enjoy working on cars so this isnā??t an issue. Then I bought the Contour. It was new and trouble free. I got twitchy so I had to buy another car that was old and not maintenance free. I got a ā??93 Miata.

Well the SVT is a great drive but the Miata is even better (especially in the summer). After a while I realized I was driving the Miata a lot more than the Ford. If I wanted a fun car I took the Miata. If I needed a car I could get dirty or not care aboutā?¦ well I also took the Miata. The Ford was in immaculate condition and I couldnā??t stand the thought of someone opening their door into my baby.

At the same time I also missed having a utilitarian beater. Before I got the Ford I had a Corolla wagon. Not gods gift to fun driving but it was great for hauling stuff or driving to places where people may open their door into my car.

So now I was stuck. I loved the Ford and couldnā??t stand to see it get scratch or dirty yet I drove the Miata a lot more. In the end I decided to sell the Ford and buy a more utilitarian replacement. The sort of car I could get dirty and not worry about. I ended up with a ā??97 SAAB 900 turbo. Same 0-60 time as the Ford, better equipped, hatch back and decent back seatsā?¦ the Ford is sooo much nicer to drive. The SAAB feels like a top heavy Jetta in comparison to the Ford. The turbo 4 has great mid range power but it also has turbo lag and no power right off the line. What the SAAB really has is more interior room (you can carry a washing machine if you leave the hatch open) and with 60,000 miles (same as my Ford) I ended up with $4200 in my pocket after selling one and buying the other.

I still miss the Ford. Iā??ve driven a lot of $20k-$40k cars. Few were ever a good as the Ford. That 2.5L motor is a gem. One of the best exhaust notes ever. Many of the newer cars have more power but none have an engine that sounded so good or was so smooth. The Contour SVT has a good solid feel and Iā??ve never driven a 4 that was as all around nice as the Contourā??s V6 (including the Acura TSX and Honda S2000). The newer cars may be faster but I will always love the Ford.
Posted By: White99SE Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 03/08/04 05:37 PM
Quote:

Yes,of course. The whippersnapper epithet lasts until you're forced to buy your first minivan for the family.

Enjoy it while you can.

Lee K
98 SVT Contour, silver
03 Evo, red

I'm 41 but haven't bought a minivan... yet. Do I still qualify as a "Young Whippersnapper too?!?!
Posted By: mmarfan_dup1 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 03/09/04 12:09 AM
Crap the pics aren't working! Oh well
Posted By: MercuryMystik99 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 03/09/04 01:33 AM
How could you guys let yourselves be forced into buying a minivan? You can still fit A kid and A wife into a sedan or even a coupe. Even with TWO kids. I just dont get it. Growing up we never had a minivan, and neither did my best friend who has 2 other brothers. That family of three kids had a coupe when they were growing up. Im 18, and NOW my parents buy an SUV, and I dont think they had a good reason to justify it either. Atleast its a 3.0 toyota, not a gas guzzler expedition or anything.

Posted By: Kung Fu Troll Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 03/09/04 12:51 PM
Sorry Rog, but your whippersnapper days have looonnnngg past.

-R-
Posted By: White99SE Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 03/09/04 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Kung Fu Joe:
Sorry Rog, but your whippersnapper days have looonnnngg past.

-R-

Awwww man!!!
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Seems like a mass SVT unloading - 03/09/04 02:37 PM
Originally posted by MercuryMystik99:
How could you guys let yourselves be forced into buying a minivan? You can still fit A kid and A wife into a sedan or even a coupe. Even with TWO kids. I just dont get it. Growing up we never had a minivan, and neither did my best friend who has 2 other brothers. That family of three kids had a coupe when they were growing up. Im 18, and NOW my parents buy an SUV, and I dont think they had a good reason to justify it either. Atleast its a 3.0 toyota, not a gas guzzler expedition or anything.

Two kids that are stroller-age? With the king-kong sized strollers that they have now? Good luck getting THAT into a Cougar.

OTOH, the Mazda 6 wagon and 5-door are fantastic alternatives to minivans.
© CEG Archives