Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Today at work on the Gm website i saw this and i couldnt believe it. I know that the quater mile time on a lightning is faster. by a little. but this is bull just because it has a 6 speed and more HP. wait untill the new lightning comes out revamps with more power and supercooler. this is the artical i saw.
INDUSTRY NEWS

WORLD RECORD FOR DODGE RAM SRT-10 .... A Dodge Ram SRT-10 yesterday
entered the Guinness Book of World Records as the "World's Fastest
Production Pickup Truck." Recently off the Saltillo, Mexico, assembly
line and not modified in any way for additional power or enhanced
aerodynamics, the Viper-engine powered truck posted a two-lap,
both-directions average speed of 154.587 mph over a "flying kilometer"
on the 4.71-mile oval at the DaimlerChrysler Proving Grounds. Guinness
World Records and the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) certified the
record run by the Dodge Ram SRT-10. The previous record was 147.54 mph,
set last July by the Ford SVT F-150 Lightning.
It's not that serious!
YES IT IS!!!

That's because there is no new Lightning for '04...

Oh well, the new SVT's for 05 should be better than ever...
I'm sure the next Lightning will be faster...then Dodge will top that and it will become the Great Truck Pissing Contest. Gonna be hard for Ford to compete with the Viper engine though without a serious price hike on the Lightning I think.
You forgot to mention that the base MSRP for the SRT-10 is over $10,000 more than the Lightning.
Originally posted by SILVER SVT:
Today at work on the Gm website i saw this and i couldnt believe it.

uuummmmm.... the SRT-10 has a VIPER motor, therefore it would be on the DODGE website, not GM right?
There are 04 Lightnings, they are the same as the 03's.
Originally posted by bsal007:
Originally posted by SILVER SVT:
Today at work on the Gm website i saw this and i couldnt believe it.

uuummmmm.... the SRT-10 has a VIPER motor, therefore it

would be on the DODGE website, not GM right?

It was on part of the international news part and competition section.
The Srt-10 is a huge waste of money. Dollar for dollar the Svt is way better. Much better interior,looks, and the shifter for the SRT is like 4ft long. Whats the point. 2006 lighting will deseamte(sp) all.
What's the big deal? Dodge made a fast truck now ford is making one as fast/faster... competition is a good thing whether you realize it or not. And what is wrong with Dodge having fast vehicles? They've got the cheapest 500hp car out there right now... chevy may one day make something competitive, but it'll still be an ugly chevy,,, long live dodge.
is the lightnign availiable in stick ?
dude, no. Not yet at least.
Originally posted by cvkillacontour98:
is the lightning availiable in stick ?

No! 4spd ATX only

Dodge has a cheap interior? Compared to the L, the SRT10's interior is gorgeous.
Originally posted by Fmr12B:

No! 4spd ATX only

A FWD Lightning.

I bet that is extremely rare and worth a fortune!!!
10 against 8, hummmm doesn't sound zactly fair. I know they said production line stock but I'll bet the rear screw was awful tall.
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

No! 4spd ATX only

A FWD Lightning.

No! 4spd ATX only

A FWD Lightning.

Where does my post say FWD?

No! 4spd ATX only

A FWD Lightning.

You said ATX = automatic transaxle. They're only on FWD's. RWD has a transmission.
Park the (2) trucks next to each other and you'll see the SRT-10 is the better looking, better performing ride IMO. The motors cancel each other out, the Lightning has a power adder and the SRT-10, with its N/A V10 has an extra (2) cylinders, although makes an amazing 120 more HP Then you move onto the transmissions, MTX VS. ATX....no contest! and who cares how long the shifter is, its a pickup truck, what do you expect and afterall, its a Hurst BTW! The trucks have strong rearends but I don't know how special the Lightnings rearend is but the SRT-10 has a Dana. I know the SRT-10 is $10K more, but I think theres alot more content to justify this IMO, plus you'll not see them all over the place either. I'm not sure if you guys realize this, but Dodge invented the hi-po pickup truck. In 1978 they had the Lil Red Express w/ its 360 V8, ATX and 3.55 rearend. It was the fastest regular production vehicle sold in America, imagine that. Its was actually a sign of the times more than anything, but still, when the L-82 Corvette loses out to a pickup truck, thats nutz The truck ran the 1/4 mile in the mid 15's and topped out in the area of 124 mph.
It costs $10-20K more! And the new lightning isn't out yet so you can't compare!

-Andy
Why is everybody making such a big deal about this?? Competition is a good thing. The Lightning has been on top of the hill in this segment for the past 5-6 years. And my God, I never thought I'd hear so many ricer excuses in one place... "it's got 2 more cylinders y0"... "that dodge costs $10K more"... "the dodge has a stick"... "it's a 6-speed, that's not fair!!"... "y0, it has 500HP, that's bullsh*t"... "wait 'til that new Lightning comes out and then it'll smoke it"... So much hysteria over something that is seriously not a huge deal. I see this thing being passed back and forth over the next few years. One-upmanship is the name of the game with performance vehicles.

I say, good for Dodge. At least someone else is bringing something to the table in this segment. Chevy pissed on their pantleg with that POS Silverado SS so I applaud Dodge for making a solid effort.
I only brought up the comparison of the engines/trans/rearend to make a point that its plenty fair, not to say one has more of an advantage over the other. To quote a famous saying..."it is what it is". This arguement is the same one that people make about the CSVT vs. the GTP/Regal GS..."if those cars didn't have the S/C it would be more of a fair race!". That one always frosted my ass but this one was worse..."if the CSVT had a S/C it wouldn't be a race!". The cars came the way they did, thats it and the same holds true for the truck comparsion, get over it already and compare how they come and the fact is the 04' SRT-10 blows away the 04' Lightnings and yes, they're making them
Yours was one of the only posts that made sense, Roger (basically said "run what ya brung")... If you look through the earlier posts you'll see the excuses flying.
I agree with Matt, let Dodge have their moment. They brought a big hammer to the table and deserve the accolades. Now its up to Ford to find a bigger hammer to come swinging with if they want to get back on top, simple as that.

Dodge has a cheap interior? Compared to the L, the SRT10's interior is gorgeous.

I don't know how cheap looking plastic flat dash and crappy seats compare to seude leather and a overall nice interior. For $55,000 (at least thats what the one a the show was), I would expect a whole lot more. Kinda of the same thing with the new viper. Don't get me wrong, both vehicles are cool, and have great power, and I am sure the truck will be fun to drive (I kow the viper is ). But dollar for dollar the lightining is better. I am talking the 99-03 models. I am sure the new truck will not be priced much higher either. Everyone thought the 04 150 would be more, but yet still the same price. Rumor has it will recieve a version of of the GT engine. UMMM light aluminum 5.4 in a small fairly aerodynamic truck. Or big heavy v10 in a brick wall with two wheels . Decision is easy for me. Competition is great though
SRT-10

$45,850 MSRP** 1-option $390 Side curtain Airbags Everything else is standard!

500 horsepower
8.3L V10 Viper power engine
525 lb.-ft. of torque
Curb Weight : 5,000 lb
6-speed manual transmission with Hurst shifter
Dana M60 HD/248MM Rear Axle
22" polished aluminum wheels
Dual exhaust
508-watt Infinity Sound System

ACCELERATION in Seconds
Zero to 60 mph 4.9
70 mph 6.2
80 mph 8.2
90 mph 9.9
100 mph 11.9
110 mph 15.3
120 mph 18.4
130 mph 22.6

HANDLING
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad 0.86 g

2004 SVT Lightning
MSRP $33,310 - No options everythign is standard
380 hp @ 4,750 rpm
Torque: 450 lb-ft @ 3,250 rpm
Curb Weight : 4,700 lb
Tuned dual exhaust, ceramic-coated dual exhaust tips
Four-speed automatic (4R100)
18 x 9.5-in., five-spoke cast aluminum-alloy

Just my opinion, but the interior in the SRT-10 is nicer, the price is $12,500 more and that aint bad! The Dodge is a much newer truck then the L's chasis so I would assume a more rigid structure. I like the Leather suede on the SRT vs. the Cloth/Suede on the L. The 8 speaker w/ sub stereo is a nice touch in the SRT as well. Not too mention the 22" wheels & 15" Front brakes w/ 14" rears. Ford has 18" wheels with 12" Front and 13" Rear brakes.

The extra $12,500 gives you a lot of goodies.

New L comes out in 2006?

Originally posted by livinsvt:

I don't know how cheap looking plastic flat dash and crappy seats compare to seude leather and a overall nice interior. For $55,000 (at least thats what the one a the show was), I would expect a whole lot more.

'Cause some people that aren't complete dashstrokers will argue that 500/500 for $46K is a bargain. They'd rather the money go into the engine, suspension, and transmission than supple leather seats and soft-to-the-touch dashboards. Same reason I bought my SVT Contour. It's not gonna win any interior design contests, but as a pure driver's car it couldn't be beat for the price.
The 05 Lightning is going to have 500HP/500TQ.

The SRT-10 is a sweet truck, and I hope to see one or two in my area.. I think if the 05 Lightning were to come out in 04, then there would actually be room for debate, but since it isn't out until next year, I hear the Dodge guys saying "well Ford had another year than us to make those kinda number" and blah blah blah... This will never end, but as an opinion Id rather go with the Lightning myself.

Mark
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
The 05 Lightning is going to have 500HP/500TQ.

That will be mighty hard to do seeing as how there won't be an '05 Lightning... and nobody has seen any sort of numbers for the '06 model yet.

A Guinness record for Fastest Production Truck in the World is just a good way for Ford/Dodge to get press. I like the competition between the two and I'm sure that Ford and Dodge, no matter what you might think, enjoy the rivalry. Everybody has to bring top-notch sh*t to the table, or else.
Too bad Chevrolet doesn't even factor into this, where in the hell are they anyways The Silverado SS is a pretty good lookin' truck IMO, but adding the "SS" badge on it is a joke. The motor isn't special, its just the motor thats standard in the Escalade, BFD and wheres the magicians at SLP to work their wonders on it Maybe, just maybe, that upcoming 427 s/b will make it into one of their trucks
So dodge has more power. That's what they do. Big engines (well, just one, really... in cars, a bike, now a truck..) are a dodge thing. You don't see anyone her whining about the SRT-10 viper vs. the SVT cobra, do you? The ford is a better deal, and a more refined vehicle, just like here. anyone here should know hp numbers or displacement don't mean that much, really, there is an awful lot else thta goes into making a vehicle.
Anybody else care to not that the D has a stick vers the auto in the L. Plus the D has two extra gears. We all know that an auto requires more power to equal the same output. This is stating that both trucks are stock and not drag vehicles. Just look at the Cobra, smaller motor and it is rated at 10 more HP than the L. Both running at 8psi stock.

Put a stick in the L and I am sure that is will be a little quicker and it's numbers will look that much better.
Lightning concept...500 HP...500 ft.lbs torque...tremac 6 speed...I want one!!!

NUFF SAID!!!!
Originally posted by CKtour98:
Lightning concept...500 HP...500 ft.lbs
NUFF SAID!!!!

CONCEPT

NUFF SAID!

L bandwagoners can start talking again when the '06 debuts. Until then
Originally posted by myfastse:
Anybody else care to not that the D has a stick vers the auto in the L. Plus the D has two extra gears. We all know that an auto requires more power to equal the same output. This is stating that both trucks are stock and not drag vehicles. Just look at the Cobra, smaller motor and it is rated at 10 more HP than the L. Both running at 8psi stock.

Put a stick in the L and I am sure that is will be a little quicker and it's numbers will look that much better.

What is the fascination around here with ricer excuses?? You'd sound a lot more intelligent if you just said, "Hey, good for Dodge. But I prefer the Lightning even if it's slower."
Dodge put out the SRT-10 to outdo the Lightning as the fastest production truck...mission accomplished. I understand there's some serious loyal Ford people around here but I don't see wtf the big deal is. People are acting like they "cheated" because they used a stick, or this engine or that...pfft whatever. I say good for Dodge for putting out something competetive that will push Ford to make the L even faster...although the L will be much more expensive when the next model comes out which kinda sucks. I'm sure the next L will outdo the SRT then Dodge will push the SRT faster and it will go back and forth until someone gives up...probably Ford because the Viper engine is gonna be tough to beat.
Originally posted by 00SVT:

What is the fascination around here with ricer excuses?? You'd sound a lot more intelligent if you just said, "Hey, good for Dodge. But I prefer the Lightning even if it's slower."

Ricer excuses? What excuses? I never made an excuses for anything. I was stating facts. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.
Originally posted by hondas_for_breakfast:
So dodge has more power. That's what they do. Big engines (well, just one, really... in cars, a bike, now a truck..) are a dodge thing. You don't see anyone her whining about the SRT-10 viper vs. the SVT cobra, do you? The ford is a better deal, and a more refined vehicle, just like here. anyone here should know hp numbers or displacement don't mean that much, really, there is an awful lot else thta goes into making a vehicle.

I'd take a viper any day over a cobra, more power, better handling, better looks, and only about $40-$50k more.

Ricer excuses? What excuses? I never made an excuses for anything. I was stating facts. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Your whole post was one big ricer excuse about "oh yeah, well if this and that were like this and that, it would be better . . ." It's not, the Dodge is faster at the moment, so deal with it. Kudos for Dodge for doing it and upping the ante. Let's just hope it spurs Ford to do better when the big L returns. And speculation is just that, nothing has been released about future Lightning PRODUCTION vehicles, and anyone that knows the truth for sure, ain't talking.
Originally posted by kazanma:

No! 4spd ATX only

A FWD Lightning.

You said ATX = automatic transaxle. They're only on FWD's. RWD has a transmission.

Uh, nope. Porsche has a transaxle and RWD. (Some manual, some auto, even the Front engine Porsches had transaxles)

I've own Corvairs which had a transaxle and RWD.

'64 Pontiac Tempest had a transaxle and RWD (Was Automatic with 2 speed trans in rear, also had IRS).

Most Mid engine and rear engine cars have a Transaxle.

Just the ATX police checking the facts !

geesh, take off the damn 22" rims and put some 18's on it and they'll be a 1/2 second faster!
Originally posted by Contouraholic:
Originally posted by kazanma:

Uh, nope. Porsche has a transaxle and RWD. (Some manual, some auto, even the Front engine Porsches had transaxles)

I've own Corvairs which had a transaxle and RWD.

'64 Pontiac Tempest had a transaxle and RWD (Was Automatic with 2 speed trans in rear, also had IRS).

Most Mid engine and rear engine cars have a Transaxle.

Just the ATX police checking the facts !

Whoops, my fault. Good info though!

'Cause some people that aren't complete dashstrokers will argue that 500/500 for $46K is a bargain. They'd rather the money go into the engine, suspension, and transmission than supple leather seats and soft-to-the-touch dashboards. Same reason I bought my SVT Contour. It's not gonna win any interior design contests, but as a pure driver's car it couldn't be beat for the price.

Well I am not sure what you mean there. But I would rather have money in engine, suspension etc.. to. Thats why that extra $10k would be going in the L and would/ could make alot more HP/torque than 500. Plus 46k is 10k cheaper than the one at the show. I don't see there being 10k in upgrades there. The shifter(Hurst means nothing on that), Its like shifting an old tractor. To finish the interior on the tour actual looks pretty nice IMO(midnight blue), but is just made of crap material
Originally posted by Rara:

Your whole post was one big ricer excuse about "oh yeah, well if this and that were like this and that, it would be better . . ." It's not, the Dodge is faster at the moment, so deal with it. Kudos for Dodge for doing it and upping the ante. Let's just hope it spurs Ford to do better when the big L returns. And speculation is just that, nothing has been released about future Lightning PRODUCTION vehicles, and anyone that knows the truth for sure, ain't talking.

Well,

Let me apoligize for my ricer excuse. I never intended for it to be taken that way.

Rara, if you could remove my comment please. I prefer not to be labeled as an excuse giver.

Well,

Let me apoligize for my ricer excuse. I never intended for it to be taken that way.

Rara, if you could remove my comment please. I prefer not to be labeled as an excuse giver.

Ricer

Someone remembers 'My Cousin Vinny'!

BTW - My first car was a 64' Corvair..
this thread sucks, i just took the time to read through it all, i feel like i just got home from running a daycare

Bottom Line:
SRT-10=great hi-po truck
Lightning=great hi-po truck
I havent heard anyone add anything about the GMC Typhoon and Syclone...

These things could still give most sports cars a problem... 0-60 in 4.6, 1/4 in 13.5? These were hot looking trucks too!

Originally posted by ChriSVT:

These things could still give most sports cars a problem... 0-60 in 4.6, 1/4 in 13.5? These were hot looking trucks too!

They're not made anymore, probably why they're not mentioned.
Originally posted by Chaser231:
this thread sucks, i just took the time to read through it all, i feel like i just got home from running a daycare

Start a better one then.
Originally posted by ChriSVT:

Just want to set the record straight on those, they actually ran 14.2's at about 96 mph stock I remember reading in my turbo and hi-tech performance magazine back then when Ken Duttweiler bought one, ran a 14.25 @ 96 mph and then began modding it. He ended up with a Syclone running well into the low 11's/high 10's. Imagine what it cost to do that because those trucks are pretty heavy
And there still pretty expensive. I saw one go on ebay w/ 30,000 miles for almost $40k.
I agree with Matt, let Dodge have their moment. They brought a big hammer to the table and deserve the accolades. Now its up to Ford to find a bigger hammer to come swinging with if they want to get back on top, simple as that.

exactly
© CEG Archives