Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: XKontour98 Fuel pump replacement question? - 01/23/04 07:42 AM
I believe my pump is going again that makes #3! anyway I last replaced it this past spring about 20K ago and I used a pump from autozone that came with a lifetime warranty. Heres the deal, providing I can find the reciept, how would I go about getting the new pump. I would imagine I would have to take the old one in exchange for the new one but I am going to have it done at the stealership so I cant figure out a way to do it without buying a new pump.

I have a 98 duratec with the return style fuel system. The first pump I replaced was the 2nd day I owned the car at 30K then again at 50K and now. are these bad pumps or is it something else? I have done the fuel filters,tune-ups and all the goodies. Should I go with the AZ pump or order one from BAT? The current AZ one has always been loud!
Posted By: chongo Re: Fuel pump replacement question? - 01/23/04 05:08 PM
Your having a Ford dealer replace and put in a non Ford part?
Why pay there HUGE hourly rates!!!!!
I didn't think they did this as that's where they make there money - on parts.

As for getting a new pump from autozone you will probably need reciept and fuel pump.
They might also want to test the pump before you get your new one. Don't think any company will refund you money.
If they're like the stores up here.

If there nice about it they will just swap them.
Call them and ask!! Best answer I can think of!
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Fuel pump replacement question? - 01/23/04 05:36 PM
Originally posted by chongo:
Your having a Ford dealer replace and put in a non Ford part?
Why pay there HUGE hourly rates!!!!!
I didn't think they did this as that's where they make there money - on parts.

Unfortunately the only decent place to get her fixed is at the stealership! I dont trust the backyard mechanics that are not certified at these small town shops we have here.
Posted By: FROSTY SVT Re: Fuel pump replacement question? - 01/23/04 06:04 PM
Autozone usually keep all of your infor in the symstem when u purchase things that are under lifetime warranty...they can usually pull it up by your phone number if u dont have the receipt...if u do not take them the old part u'll have to purchase a new pump which u will be refunded once u return the old pump...thats how its always worked for me when i've needed to change brakes and alternator...and even my fuel pump..buy new part...change...and return old parts for my refund.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Fuel pump replacement question? - 01/24/04 06:34 AM
Originally posted by FROSTY SVT:
Autozone usually keep all of your infor in the symstem when u purchase things that are under lifetime warranty...they can usually pull it up by your phone number if u dont have the receipt...if u do not take them the old part u'll have to purchase a new pump which u will be refunded once u return the old pump...thats how its always worked for me when i've needed to change brakes and alternator...and even my fuel pump..buy new part...change...and return old parts for my refund.

Thanks, Ill give it a try!
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: Fuel pump replacement question? - 01/24/04 01:53 PM
Originally posted by XKontour98:
I believe my pump is going again that makes #3! anyway I last replaced it this past spring about 20K ago and I used a pump from autozone that came with a lifetime warranty. Heres the deal, providing I can find the reciept, how would I go about getting the new pump. I would imagine I would have to take the old one in exchange for the new one but I am going to have it done at the stealership so I cant figure out a way to do it without buying a new pump.

I have a 98 duratec with the return style fuel system. The first pump I replaced was the 2nd day I owned the car at 30K then again at 50K and now. are these bad pumps or is it something else? I have done the fuel filters,tune-ups and all the goodies. Should I go with the AZ pump or order one from BAT? The current AZ one has always been loud!

All these fuel pump problem seem to happen to everyone else but me. I'm at 57,300 still original fuel pump.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Fuel pump replacement question? - 01/24/04 02:29 PM
Yeah, usually all they need is your phone number.
Posted By: chongo Re: Fuel pump replacement question? - 01/24/04 04:10 PM
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:

All these fuel pump problem seem to happen to everyone else but me. I'm at 57,300 still original fuel pump.

Your not alone! Just changed my original one at 125,000km.
I replaced it with Ford pump too. Seems everyone wants to find a cheaper
priced product and there getting them too.
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Fuel pump replacement question? - 01/25/04 01:00 AM
What are the symptoms of a bad fuel pump? Does it just stop working all the way, or is it intermittant?

I'm having a strange problem with my Contour and I believe it is fuel related. I'm going to change the fuel filter here soon.

Posted By: Predator Re: Fuel pump replacement question? - 01/25/04 01:44 AM
Fuel pumps usually start howling pretty bad. They won't put out the right amount of fuel or pressure so you'll notice it in the engines performance. It might start cutting out at certain rpm's or just feel sluggish over all.
Just remember that a clogged strainer on the pump housing or a clogged sock on the pump inlet will give the same symptoms as a bad pump. I cleaned mine and all the symptoms went away. The price of cleaning (a couple of hours of my time) verses the cost of a new pump makes it worth trying the cleaning first. After cleaning it, a pump replacement will be a cakewalk because you will know how to get to the pump.
Posted By: chongo Re: Fuel pump replacement question? - 01/25/04 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Chris Hightower:
What are the symptoms of a bad fuel pump? Does it just stop working all the way, or is it intermittant?

I'm having a strange problem with my Contour and I believe it is fuel related. I'm going to change the fuel filter here soon.

Here's a link to my thread.
Warm engine misfire V6 ATX- Problem solved
My pump didn't die and all fuel pressure test were fine until......
© CEG Archives