Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Mystang Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/22/03 07:12 PM
I finally bought the bullet and couldn't take any more. After spending 431$ on wheel bearings and to fix what ford screwed up (wrong bold used in new axles) my check engine light came on. Looked like I had a problem with one of the cylinders and my 02 sensors might need replacing. Plus the problems made me cancel my plans for the weekend...again. So Friday I went down to the Mazda dealer in Cary and traded my second and last 'tour in. It has been a troubled road. I enjoyed my cars for the most part, but I am glad it is over.

I love my new 6! That car is very impressive. Suprisingly it handles as well as my last car in the corners, but with none of the harshness. I had the bat suspension on both my tours. The only area that it lacks is the emergency lane change or even quick lane change. It has considerable more body roll during those manuevers. But it does take corners with more speed and confidence. I havn't been able to really push it yet, but It feels quite a bit faster. I can't wait to unleash the 220 hp and 192 ft lbs of torque. still about 500 miles to go until it reaches the 1,000 mile mark that the book recommends.

Oh and before you ask yes I got the 5-speed. Why would anyone get an automatic in that car who is a single male no kids? It was the last one on a lot full of automatics.

Thank you all for your helpful advice over the years. I have been a 'tour owner since 98. Almost all of you have been very nice and pleasant. Thanks!

for pictures of my 6 click HERE

Mystang
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/22/03 07:15 PM
nice choice, keep your eyes peeled for rust.
Posted By: Mystang Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/22/03 07:53 PM
Have they been having rust problems? I haven't heard of this.

I did get the 100,000 mile 6 year bumper to bumper warranty. After my tour problems I wanted some piece of mind.

Mystang
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/22/03 09:20 PM
Rust stains are appearing on SOME (not all) 2003 models in the door window frames and trunk lids. With the long warranty, it should be taken care of easily.
Posted By: Beowulf Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/22/03 09:59 PM
Quote:

Oh and before you ask yes I got the 5-speed. Why would anyone get an automatic in that car who is a single male no kids? It was the last one on a lot full of automatics.

As far as I am concerned, as long as you have a good left leg and a quick right hand, there is NO reason to buy an automatic.

Posted By: gdub520_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/22/03 10:43 PM
nice purchase....im starting to think i like the 6 in white more than any other color with the sport pkg

good luck with the rust issues
Posted By: akrump47 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/22/03 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Mystang:
Suprisingly it handles as well as my last car in the corners, but with none of the harshness. I had the bat suspension on both my tours.

Seriously??!! The 6 Handles as well as a BAT equipped contour!! You better not be kidding . . .

And as far as this comment goes . . .

I agree wholeheartedly Auto's are for people who are either lazy, dont know how to drive or infirm in some way!!
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/22/03 11:26 PM
Nice car. How much did you end up paying for it if you don't mind me asking?
Originally posted by akrump47:

I agree wholeheartedly Auto's are for people who are either lazy, dont know how to drive or infirm in some way!!

or those who prefer the convenience of not having to use both feet to drive. I will admit that I don't know how to drive a stick (about to turn 25). And I have no interest in learning.
Posted By: svtman21 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/22/03 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Beowulf:

As far as I am concerned, as long as you have a good left leg and a quick right hand, there is NO reason to buy an automatic.

Come on out to LA and sit in 4 hours of commuter traffic per day for 5-10 years. Then tell me there is NO reason to buy an automatic. My last 5 cars have been manuals because I am a die-hard 5-speeder, but some days it is extremely aggravating and I regret it. It's kind of a tease having a fast 5-speed car here as you can rarely unleash it, although I usually find a way.

Seriously though some days my left leg goes numb sitting in traffic. The times I get an automatic rental car (when the SVT is in the shop) are a welcome change. I need a damn hovercraft I think.
Posted By: Beowulf Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 12:20 AM
Originally posted by svtman21:
Originally posted by Beowulf:

Come on out to LA and sit in 4 hours of commuter traffic per day for 5-10 years. Then tell me there is NO reason to buy an automatic. My last 5 cars have been manuals because I am a die-hard 5-speeder, but some days it is extremely aggravating and I regret it. It's kind of a tease having a fast 5-speed car here as you can rarely unleash it, although I usually find a way.

Seriously though some days my left leg goes numb sitting in traffic. The times I get an automatic rental car (when the SVT is in the shop) are a welcome change. I need a damn hovercraft I think.

Yeah, I did that.

Sure, the clutch foot was sore afterwards, but driving over San Jacinto would have been much less fun in a ATX.

Just 5 minutes of full on fun 5 speed driving is worth the hours and hours I may spend in traffic.
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 01:28 AM
woohoo! looks just like mine

come on over to www.mazda6club.com and say HI

and yes, he's not kidding, the M6 handles wonderfully - just as good as my SVT - and once i lower it a bit it will handle even better i'm sure!

congrats!!!
Posted By: ZoomZoom Diva Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 01:52 AM
Early reliability surveys are much-better-than-average...

another good sign.
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 02:10 AM
I think Ford's plan for this chassis is to get all the bugs worked out under the Mazda name before they use it for Ford models.

I just hope they remembered to use the right wire for the underhood harnesses
Posted By: mr_froge_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 02:40 AM
I always liked my Mazda's but since Ford bought them out.. I'll just stay away from any more Ford products, no matter want the disguise...
Posted By: rob_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 03:55 AM
Originally posted by mr_froge:
I always liked my Mazda's but since Ford bought them out.. I'll just stay away from any more Ford products, no matter want the disguise...

Ditto. I can't wait to trade my 'tour in this summer. Probably getting an Altima 3.5. I'm just at my wits end with Ford and their quality issues. I love the car, don't get me wrong, but if you drive as much as me and don't want to risk expensive (possible) repairs as the odometer sweeps past 100,000k, then you don't have a choice but to get something new. I know there a quite a few "problem-free" 'tours out there w/ 150,000-200,000k and MORE w/o major problems, but hey, trust me, you don't have my luck. My car will be five years old in March, and it's time to keep up with the 200hp+ crowd. If I could put up with Ford's awfull service a bit longer, I would have put the 3L in mine AWHILE ago and beefed up the tranny, but personally I'll take the 3.5L that goes along w/ respectable quality.
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 07:12 AM
Ford didn't "buy them out", they BAILED them out. You don't know what you're talking about, anyway. Mazda 3 is a highly reviewed car and made in Japan. Also, Mazda sales are taking Europe by storm. Just because of one lemon Contour doesn't mean the entire Mazda line is "bad".

Also, Nissan was BAILED out by the French (Renault), so don't get all high and mighty about how "grrreat" they are. Altimas have their share of bugs and issues. Look it up. Also, they're hi HP FWD cars are plauged by torque steer, so they ain't "all that".
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 03:36 PM
Obviously, he doesn't want to risk "expensive repairs" but he's perfectly willing to buy a whole new car--that "logic" really makes sense to me.

Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 03:54 PM
He's bought reliability and new warranty coverage, and in a nice set of wheels to boot. I don't think that's so hard to understand.
Posted By: Mystang Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 04:05 PM
Hey TommySVT the sticker was 23,100 on the car. I did pay for the extra warranty and had some negative equity on my 96 tour. It was a 2003 and it had a 1,500 rebate. Plus the strange thing is I graduated Dec 19, 2001 from NCSU. Last Friday when I bout the car was Dec 19, 2003. Last day I qualified for 500 college grad rebate... didn't plan that one but it worked out well.

Mystang
Posted By: akrump47 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 04:11 PM
jerseycat you fall under the "lazy" category You auto-only guys don't know how much fun it is to shift for yourself and feel the powa!!

About LA traffic I can empathize. Manual can be a bit tedious in traffic but I've never had my leg go weary, driving through countless traffic jams, including through downtown Manhattan last month If you want a heavy leg-tiring clutch, drive a gravel train

Mazda 6 - score another 10 points in my book
Posted By: Mystang Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 04:16 PM
Originally posted by akrump47:

Seriously??!! The 6 Handles as well as a BAT equipped contour!! You better not be kidding . . .

Yeah Akrump47, it really does handle as good if not better. Save the emergency lane change or a quick back and forth manuever (showed more body roll). I did take a curve that I took in my tour at 80. In the tour I felt a little more nervous. With the 6 I felt quite a bit different. The car felt very balanced and composed. My tour used to feel like the rear end was about to step out when at it's limits. So far I have not detected any of that in my 6. I have taken it up to where I set the limits in the tour and it felt very safe, composed, and balanced. So far I am very impressed and happy. Now if I can only get the damn thing broken in so I can see how quick she is.

This might be another topic all together but an interesting one.. I named my 1st tour Slider for its propensity to understeer and slide (happened a few times). Named my second Slider 2 (only had the trouble plagued car for 7 months). Have any of you named your cars? I can't seem to think of a good one for my new one. I do think though that cars need to earn their names a bit

Mystang
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 06:51 PM
He bought those thing at a much higher cost than even the most expensive repair on his old car would have cost. It seems a little moronic to worry about "expensive repairs" and use that as a justification to buy a new car. Either you're worried about money, or you aren't. (Resale value? Hahah. Drive the new car off the lot and the difference between what you paid and what it's worth is about a 3L Duratec installed....)

Not to mention his comments about putting up with Ford service--after the vehicle is out of warranty, I'm not sure why ANYONE would go to the dealership for service? My only dealings with Ford after the car goes out of warranty is to order parts. Bill Jenkins is a great guy to deal with so I have no problem with that.
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 08:20 PM
Originally posted by brianl703:
(Resale value? Hahah. Drive the new car off the lot and the difference between what you paid and what it's worth is about a 3L Duratec installed....)

um, and then you have a 5 year old car worth $4,500 again...

Posted By: brianl703 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 08:30 PM
A car is a liability, not an asset.

If you intend to drive the car for several more years, a 3.0L upgrade probably makes sense. You're doing it for additional enjoyment of your vehicle, not to increase the resale value.

I have a 1988 Mustang GT. Care to look up the blue book value on it? It's worth a lot more than that to me, and that's all that matters.

Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 08:37 PM
A car is a liability, not an asset.

If you intend to drive the car for several more years, a 3.0L upgrade probably makes sense. You're doing it for additional enjoyment of your vehicle, not to increase the resale value.

I have a 1988 Mustang GT. Care to look up the blue book value on it? It's worth a lot more than that to me, and that's all that matters.

i believe those are very valid statements... it's what you 'experience' that makes a car more valuable to someone. to me, it didn't make sense to sink over $4k into my old SVT because i had just paid the darn thing off - and to me, i would be running negative on my 'equity' on that car... it made more sense to get a 'new' car, because i've been learning that i enjoy the feel of a new car and enjoy that just as much as i would enjoy restoring a classic.

to me, it's more demanding to have a new car with warranty simply because i have two kids to haul around and their safety takes precedence over my primal urges

someday, when they're out of the house - i'll be back to my RWD Mustang days
Posted By: PT95LS Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 09:33 PM
Congrats... I fully empathize with you as I have given up on trying to keep my 95 Mystique going, and just purchased an '04 Mazda 6s (V6 5-speed) as my replacement. It's one of the most reasonable replacements for the Contique, very analagous in terms of the value and sleeper quotient as the Contour/Mystique was in it's day. I've been fortunate, compared to others here, with the reliability/repair issues on the 'tique, and my plans were to keep the Mystique as my "winter beater" in VT - but the ABS/TC has died, and that combined with the constant CEL issues are making me ready to punt on the Mercury in the spring.

Surely the 6 will not be without some warts, but Ford is pinning its hopes on the platform for many Ford/Mercury sedan variants in the coming years, so plenty of mods/tricks/aftermarket parts are on the horizon. I plan to keep mine mostly stock through the warranty period (as I did with the Mystique) and take it from there. I haven't had a chance to open up my 6 either, but it conveys a sense of agility and nimbleness normally found in cars costing $10-15K more.

happy motoring,
-Peter
Posted By: Mystang Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 09:36 PM
He bought those thing at a much higher cost than even the most expensive repair on his old car would have cost. It seems a little moronic to worry about "expensive repairs" and use that as a justification to buy a new car. Either you're worried about money, or you aren't.

There comes a point in every cars life where you are better off letting it go. Did I love my tours? Yes. Did I enjoy driving them? Hell yeah. Did I want to be in on any longer hell NO! Once a car reaches a certain point it is not worth pooring money into. I was still going to ford because I bought a warranty. But there were other things continually wrong with the car that weren't covered. I was spending the money every month equivalent to a new car payment, except I was without a my current car and didn't have a new one. Another thing to look at is time is money. I was tired of spending time taking it to where ever to get it fixed, time getting a ride, time waitin for a ride, time picking it up, time waiting for it. I was tired of canceling plans to go out of town because my damn car decided it was time for the O2 sensor to go out. It just wasn't worth it anymore. You talk about expensive repairs. I talk about the peace of mind I have now that I am in something new reliable and covered. Bottom line is I am spending the same amount of money, but now I have my time back and I can relax.

Mystang
Posted By: TBoomer Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/23/03 10:05 PM
God forbid you spend your money how you choose.
Congrats on the purchase!
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 01:05 AM
I've still got a '96 Contour. In the two years since I bought it [outright, no car payment] it's required an alternator (which was killed by a defective battery), a battery, a waterpump, and an oil pan gasket. Oh, it also needed an O2 sensor (which the dealer charged $170 to replace, which is about $120 more than I could have done it for myself--I wasn't going to argue since they replaced the precat under the emissions warranty at the same time).

I also had to put new tires on it.

Needless to say, I do not share your experience of needing a car payment's worth of repairs every month. Not even on my 1988 Mustang GT, which has parts die of old age if they don't die of mileage.

The '96 Contour has the defective wiring harnesses, but I fully intend to make Ford replace them under the 99M03 recall since I'm going to keep it for another few years.

The extended warranty is just about useless, by the way. I had one on my '95 Contour, and I wouldn't bother with it again, mainly because Ford service sucks and because the $1500 it costs would buy a hell of a lot of service at an independent shop.
Posted By: Lee K Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 01:28 AM
Interesting thread. I think all of us who own Contours are going to be facing the decision relatively soon.

One one hand, it is almost always cheaper to keep an older car on the road. If a new car payment averages around $500 a month, then repairs have to exceed $3000 a year on the older car to justify the argument that the newer car was purchased to avoid expensive repairs on the old car. $3000 buys a lot of repairs, as someone pointed out. The newer car also brings higher insurance costs and property tax payments, so the annual number is probably closer to $4000 a year.

But all of us completely understand the frustrations an unreliable older car can bring. In the past two years, my E0 SVT has had a number of small things go wrong. None were catatrosphic in nature or repair price, but the irritation factor really gave me pause at a time in my life when I've got more than enough things to worry about besides taking the car to various repair shops. At the moment, it is behaving itself (after replacing tires, front wheel bearings, CD head unit, fixed the leak in the trunk, and got a new catalytic converter), so I'll hold off for a little while before I completely lose my mind and jump into an Evo.

There are some truly valid reasons to justify getting a new car:

1. Upgrades in safety
2. Changes in your life that require more utility, ie giving up that Miata when you and your wife have a baby.
3. When the old car is wrecked

But the fact that we hang out here on a car-releated board usually indicates that we are enthusiasts, and our hobby is the passion for automobiles. I know people who easily drop $5,000 a year on adult hobbies like boating or golf, so for a guy who likes cars, what is the harm in getting a hot new ride to supplant the one that he has? If you can swing financially, then it really isn't an issue.

Face it -- after a period of time we all get sick of our cars and look forward to getting something new. The average car in the US is now owned by its orginal purchaser for over seven years. With the Contour line appearing in 1995, that means a lot of us, on average, either already have or are contemplating their next set of wheels.

Is the Mazda 6s a logical replacement for the SVT Contour? Yes, it is. They are very similar in execution, price, and function. The Acura TSX deserves a long hard look, too. The horsepower wars of the past couple of years have made the sedan market very interesting. There are more choices than ever, so the automobile enthusiast can actually have some fun making the decision.

Lee K
Posted By: SVTour98_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 01:35 AM
good choice! picked one up about 6 months ago!
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 01:58 AM
Using a $300 car payment, here is the cost difference between my 1996 Ford Contour and a $20,000 new car:

1996 Ford Contour cost-------------------$4500
Repairs for above including new tires $1000
Total cost of ownership, 2 years --------$5500

$300 month car payment times 24 months = $7200

7200 - 5500 = $1700

In just 2 years, my 1996 Ford Contour has been $1700 cheaper than a new car. In the next year, based on experiences with the 1995 Ford Contour, I project that there will be about $100 in repairs required (essentially, replacement of two O2 sensors). With a new car, in the next year I would have spent another $3600 in car payments, bringing the amount of money saved with the Contour to
1700 + ((300 * 12) - 100) = $5200 saved in 3 years.

Since the only way a $300 payment could possibly happen on a $20,000 loan with nothing down is with 6-year financing, taking this to it's logical conclusion and projecting that the Contour will need $1500 in repairs (to include a clutch replacement) during the last 3 years of this comparison:

5200 + ((300 * 36) - 1500) = $14,500 saved in 6 years.

It's hard to put a value on it, but the Contour has another thing going for it in that I know about it--I know what problems it's likely to have, I know where to get parts for it, and I know where to find answers about it. For those repair jobs I don't do myself, I can tell my mechanic things he might not know about it in order that he can fix it quicker and more effectively. With a new car, these things become a concern as soon as the warranty expires.
Posted By: mbRentalEnvoy Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 04:00 AM
Congratulations Brian, you pass math... now remember that you're driving a 1996 Contour, and he's driving a 2004 Mazda 6. You get pleasure from the extra money that you're saving... he gets pleasure from the newer car he's driving. I plan on replacing the SVT sometime within the next year-year and a half. I paid $9k cash, and I've dropped over $5k in it with new wheels, random other mods, an IAC valve, and then a whole new engine because the old one blew. I plan on getting a new(er) import with less problems. Know why? Because I can't afford to be without a car for 3-4 weeks while my engine is rebuilt (by the worst shop ever, i might add), I'm sick of the creaks, rattles, bangs, the poorly functioning A/C, the fact that I can't shift out of first when its cold, the sagging sideskirt and rear bumper, and because I just simply want something different. Sorry that not everyone dreams of owning a Contour for the rest of their lives.
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 04:17 AM
I guess the SVT models just suck for reliability, don't they?
Posted By: jshimer23 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 10:02 AM
i'm gonna be gettin rid of my Tour late spring, early summer and get an S2000. i test drove one and fell in love. plus i've always wanted a nice 2 seater sports car but always figured i'd never fit (i'm 6'4, 230lbs). i actually squeezed into it. only my knees were a bit cramped and i've read there are some slight mods you can do to the seat bottom that completely fixes it.

my point you ask? well it will be more expensive in the long run to own that car. but i will be able to afford it. i will greatly enjoy it. so why the hell not. if i were so concerned with saving money, i would've bought a car like my roomate's (old a$$ tempo). if saving money is a big issue, then yes, getting a more expensive car might not be a good solution. but if saving money by keeping a more annoying car which you're sick of isn't a big deal, then by all means go get what you want. after all, you can't take your money to the grave. live within your means and squeeze every last ounce of enjoyment out of every day. you never know when it might be your last!
This thread is interesting. There are 2 groups of people.

Group 1: Those who are enjoying their new rides.
Group 2: Those who are envious of Group 1, and feel the need to air their envy publicly by bashing them.

A few people made the valid point that if you can swing it financially, then why not? If driving a new car makes someone happy, then all the power to them!
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 04:09 PM
More people just need to do what I did, keep a new car and a contour. Oh, wait I'm sure I'll be feeling it when I can no longer get the 10 dollar a month storage insurance on the svt.
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 04:20 PM
It's just interesting that those in Group 1 all seem to have major problems with their Contour that require major expense to repair, and consider the Contour an "unreliable POS" because of it.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 04:40 PM
Quote:

Why would anyone get an automatic in that car who is a single male no kids?

I bought my CSVT when my kids were 5 and 4 years old and I'm married too , but I know what your sayin', to a point. Just because you have a family and kids doesn't mean you have to "turn in your driving gloves", it just means you have to look a bit closer for your car I will always have a car w/ a MTX, period!

As far as your choice in cars, congrats! The Mazda 6s is a logical choice for someone with a CSVT whos had a string of bad luck and/or just wants something else. Personally I would have bought the Mazda 3 myself, but thats just me. The Mazda 6s and its body roll is easily fixed with some spring/struts/sway bar I'm sure, so no biggie there, plus get some different rubber too Enjoy your car, its a very sharp ride!
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 05:25 PM
It's just interesting that those in Group 1 all seem to have major problems with their Contour that require major expense to repair, and consider the Contour an "unreliable POS" because of it.

i don't think people think the Contour is 'unreliable' - my car was absolutely wonderful - i still miss it to be honest, but i am not the type of person to sink 2/3rds of the value of a car just to keep it running - if i had been putting in a supercharger or turbo then YES i think it's a valid point if that's what someone is after...

if my ABS/Hydraulic unit went out in my Mazda6 and it would cost me $14K (roughly 2/3rds of the cars value) to make it 'normal' again - do you think i'd do it? heck no!

to be honest brian - i think what you're doing is perfectly fine - i'm all about saving money and there's nothing wrong with keeping the tour going! enjoy the heck out of the car - that's why were here!

oh - and Merry Christmas
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 06:10 PM
Truth be told, I am actually considering a future purchase of a Ford Futura. Right now the Mazda 6 has some things that annoy me, and I expect that Ford will change them:

1)Red dashboard illumination. I want green.

2)The stereo is impossible to upgrade (integrated with the climate controls) so I couldn't swap the Sirius tuner/head unit from my Contour into it.
2a)The climate controls display console seems to be very fragile, and I've read several reports of it not working after it was R/R'd.

3)Mazda parts prices are high compared to Ford parts prices.
3a)You can't order Mazda parts from Bill Jenkins

4)Not really an annoyance but...Ford is working on a 3.5L engine which is to be available in the Futura in it's 2nd year of production. That alone makes me think that waiting might be the best option.

5)Also not an annoyance...My sister works for a Ford dealer so I could get the D-plan on the Ford Futura.

As far as keeping a car, one of my co-workers had a new engine installed in his '93 Chevy Malibu (I think?) so he can drive it for another 10 years. This guy is rumoured to make 6 figures, so it's not as if he couldn't afford a new car.

And, Merry Christmas!
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 06:37 PM
Right now the Mazda 6 has some things that annoy me, and I expect that Ford will change them:

now we see the truth come out

1)Red dashboard illumination. I want green.
I hear ya on this, i wish i had the blue background like the Mazdaspeed MPS Mazda6

2)The stereo is impossible to upgrade (integrated with the climate controls) so I couldn't swap the Sirius tuner/head unit from my Contour into it. some guys are finding ways to tweak the stereo, but as you said - you're pretty much stuck with the stock layout just to keep the display working, etc

2a)The climate controls display console seems to be very fragile, and I've read several reports of it not working after it was R/R'd. no problems here, I'm enjoying auto HVAC for once

3)Mazda parts prices are high compared to Ford parts prices.
3a)You can't order Mazda parts from Bill Jenkins we'll be working to convert Bill here in the upcoming months

4)Not really an annoyance but...Ford is working on a 3.5L engine which is to be available in the Futura in it's 2nd year of production. That alone makes me think that waiting might be the best option.

5)Also not an annoyance...My sister works for a Ford dealer so I could get the D-plan on the Ford Futura. good idea, i was lucky to use the S-Plan on my Mazda - I'm "ahead" of the curve compared to most, usually you drive off the lot are are immediately in negative value - I am however still in the positive use it if you can!

As far as keeping a car, one of my co-workers had a new engine installed in his '93 Chevy Malibu (I think?) so he can drive it for another 10 years. This guy is rumoured to make 6 figures, so it's not as if he couldn't afford a new car.

And, Merry Christmas!

Posted By: rob_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 07:43 PM
Originally posted by 2000GreenTour:
Ford didn't "buy them out", they BAILED them out. You don't know what you're talking about, anyway. Mazda 3 is a highly reviewed car and made in Japan. Also, Mazda sales are taking Europe by storm. Just because of one lemon Contour doesn't mean the entire Mazda line is "bad".

Also, Nissan was BAILED out by the French (Renault), so don't get all high and mighty about how "grrreat" they are. Altimas have their share of bugs and issues. Look it up. Also, they're hi HP FWD cars are plauged by torque steer, so they ain't "all that".

Oh, I've driven one already, and I like it. The so-called "torque steer" isn't as bad as one might think. Don't get me wrong, I like the Mazda 6, but I will never deal with Ford's customer service again. I told them that straight out after they got VERY, VERY rude with me. As for Nissan's, well, Ford will never be known for quality like Nissan. Sure, any car will have it's problems, but it's starting to get out of hand with my car. I need something new, and it's SAD to say, but foreign is where the quality really is. Yeah, I guess your right, 0-60 in six seconds for a daily driver, FWD car isn't "all-that".
Posted By: rob_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 07:46 PM
Obviously, he doesn't want to risk "expensive repairs" but he's perfectly willing to buy a whole new car--that "logic" really makes sense to me.

Ah, I make 75k a year. I would like something NEW. Not five years old. If I can afford a nice, decent quality new car, and not have to worry about repairing an "older" car on an almost MONTHLY basis, what's so hard to understand??????
Posted By: rob_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 07:52 PM
Originally posted by jerseycat10:
This thread is interesting. There are 2 groups of people.

Group 1: Those who are enjoying their new rides.
Group 2: Those who are envious of Group 1, and feel the need to air their envy publicly by bashing them.

A few people made the valid point that if you can swing it financially, then why not? If driving a new car makes someone happy, then all the power to them!

Exactly, envy. That's all it is. Just because I can sink $24,000 into a new car and have something new, and different for the first time in almost five years, right away it's envy. Sorry, I love my Contour, but it's soon time to move on and keep up with the times. I hope this group stays around for awhile, because our car's will always be the greatest, but I'm not making more than two car payments a month. I have a relatively new Explorer to pay off, and soon the Nissan, and a $1500 mortgage, and the list goes on and on and on. If I could keep the car as a "project car" I would, but I just can't.
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 07:57 PM
i actually took out an Altima 3.5 (auto) and it hauled butt too bad they didn't have a 5-speed available anywhere around here at that time, now of course the lots are FULL of MTX Altima 3.5's

one nice thing with the Mazda6 is that it's 100% designed in Japan but built in Michigan - so I feel that the Japanese influence is the main part of the design and the homeboys can build it

this car isn't really a "FORD" but it's built by a company owned by Ford...
Posted By: akrump47 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/24/03 09:38 PM
Much as I love the Mazda 6, I cant personally justify the cost. Payments on a $25K car would be at LEAST $350/month (I refuse to lease) compared to my SVT for $185/month which will be paid off in 3 years. My ABS isnt working, it has creaks and rattles and banging suspension, and dosent like to shift when cold, etc.

However, all of those problems can be fixed, and I do plan on fixing them in time. Even if I were to do an all-new suspension, wheels, full 3L, trans and exhaust I'd still be spending less than a brand new M6 with the same performance as my SVT.

Might I get sick of the car? Yes. Might it break down more over time? Possibly. But right now I'm looking forward to tinkering with it and building it into a faster, better handling car. And since I refuse to pay Ford to fix it, I'll be doing the repairs and upgrades for a very reasonable cost.

Bottom line: money is DEFINITELY saved keeping an older car running, but only if you have the time and patience to do some work yourself If you dont want the hassle, get an M6.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/25/03 01:29 AM
Just in case you hadn't noticed, the automatic trans on the V6 Mazda 6 is also a 5 speed.

On a related note, some automakers are going to even more gears on the automatic transmissions. Mercedes is about to intorduce a 7 speed.

I guess that the horsepower race that the industry is moving stronger into is going to include a transmission race as well with a four speed automatic becoming old school real fast.

As well as the five speed automatic runs in the Lincoln LS I can't help but wonder just how well a Mazda 6 with a five speed automatic would run.
Posted By: lardy Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/25/03 01:33 AM
Originally posted by rob:

As for Nissan's, well, Ford will never be known for quality like Nissan. Sure, any car will have it's problems, but it's starting to get out of hand with my car. I need something new, and it's SAD to say, but foreign is where the quality really is. Yeah, I guess your right, 0-60 in six seconds for a daily driver, FWD car isn't "all-that".

My new 2004 Maxima is right on par in terms of quality as my 99 Mystique. Lots of issues with it within the first six months of ownership. Rattles in the headliner and rear parcel shelf, a strange shimmy problem at 55-75mph, bad drivers side headlight, and burnt out DRL bulbs that need 3 hours of shop time to change. A lack of available parts makes the repairs take much longer than they should.

Don't be quick to assume that a new car from traditionally "high quality" manufacturers will be high quality any more. They are all cutting corners to add to the bottom line. The Acura TL is just as bad if not worse from what I hear too.

The 265HP and 255lb-ft TQ along with all the neat toys the Maxima has is keeping me from bitching too much. Besides...I was used to it from the Mystique.

Lardy.
Posted By: rob_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/25/03 04:42 AM
I can deal with small quality issues on a 245hp car, and as far as long-term tests go (Motortrend, Car & Driver, etc.) it seems to be pretty much trouble-free mechanical wise. Again, you have to remember that new vehicles, as well as "redesigned" vehicles have their "first year" flaws until the bugs get worked out (for the most part). I'm not expecting a TOTALLY trouble-free car for the price, as I'm NOT spending more than 25K on a car. If I wanted a really good quality vehicle, I'd be at the local BMW or Mercedes dealer, but not with a second car payment, mortgage, and over $30,000 in Masters degree loans to pay. Right now the Altima is at the top of my list of a LONG line of cars in the $18,000-$25,000 range which I've driven SO FAR. I have yet to drive my "second choice", a WRX, but that'll have to wait until after New Year's.
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/25/03 04:55 AM
Actually the Mazda6 has a Duratec block (the 3.0)...so it's not all Japanese. In fact I'd not be surprised if it had a 3G alternator, an FS-15 AC compressor, Mechatronic ABS, etc...
Posted By: DimitriPopov Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/25/03 05:01 AM
How long will it be before all of CEG has bought friggin Masda 6s??? Nice car though , gotta admit.
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/25/03 05:06 AM
Ah, I make 75k a year. I would like something NEW. Not five years old. If I can afford a nice, decent quality new car, and not have to worry about repairing an "older" car on an almost MONTHLY basis, what's so hard to understand??????

I make about as much as you make a year. I don't have to repair either of my older cars on a monthly basis, and when I do, it's usually not a big deal. I'm not afraid to break out the toolbox and take care of it. As someone else said, if you don't want to deal with it, get something new.

I'd be interested in knowing what repairs your five year old car has required in, say, the last 6 months, but if you'd rather not go into that, I understand.
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/25/03 05:45 AM
If I wanted a really good quality vehicle, I'd be at the local BMW or Mercedes dealer

My boss has a Mercedes, a 1997 C230 to be exact.

After getting reamed for $1800 in maintenance at the Mercedes dealer, he said, "If I ever think about buying another Mercedes, shoot me."

The check engine light is still on and dealer said it needs a new mass air flow sensor for only $700 (No aftermarket replacements are available).
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/25/03 06:07 AM
You all came up with very good points. For awhile it seemed like everyone on CEG was like "I'm keeping my car forever".

Since I have a 2000 model Tour, i'm not too worried about age, just depreciation. I got it for $7500 in April, now it's worth $6500, if I am lucky. Soon will probly hit $5000.

Anyway, its a good idea to think through the next car purchase instead of impulse buying. Dealers get rich off that and buyers get ulcers the day after! (Guess who has done way too many impulse car buys??? Moi! )
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/25/03 06:56 AM
Interesting article from Edmunds:

Confessions of a car salesman
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/25/03 08:04 AM
Interesting article from Edmunds:

Confessions of a car salesman

dang - post the cliff notes and i'll read it... WAY to much to read on Christmas morning at 12:04AM
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/25/03 03:59 PM
Basically, what I got out of it is: Shop a new car by the price, not the monthly payment.
Posted By: Toadster_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/25/03 10:50 PM
Basically, what I got out of it is: Shop a new car by the price, not the monthly payment.

i see... one of the coolest compliments was from one of my non-car enthusiast friends - he honestly thought i paid over $40k for my Mazda6 LOL

when i told him it was only $17K, he freaked out!

Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/26/03 04:47 PM
For a while, I was sinking on average about what a monthly car payment would cost into my '95 Contour every month and a half or so. Partly on performance, partly on maintenance/repair. And that's how I did and continue to put it...those are my car payments, since it was bought outright for a very reasonable price. On the other hand, I sold my wife's '96 (4 cyl) because the performance and quality weren't enough to justify the "payments" we'd be making on it, and we got a 4 cyl Mazda 6 that was nicer in every respect, even though it's costing us more. It's her primary car and we usually take it when we go places together, and I still enjoy my growly, rattly, BAT-equipped Contour for my own use. Best of both worlds.

BTW, even the automatic, 4-cyl 6 can skedaddle when you pop it into the manumatic gates and rev it like it's an S2000. It's hiding 160hp in that 2.3L and you just have to WANT them.
Posted By: rob_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/26/03 09:00 PM

I'd be interested in knowing what repairs your five year old car has required in, say, the last 6 months, but if you'd rather not go into that, I understand.

Ah, let me see here. LOTS of little things, if that's what you call it. The rear doors won't shut unless you slam yourself against them. I've tried everything to lube them. You can't open the drivers door unless you just about yank the handle off it. The dash was warped and two local dealers would not fix it even when the recall was still good (a long story). That's where Ford's customers service got VERY rude with me and hung up on me. So now my dash is warped up so high I can barely see out and my 5'2" girlfriend can't drive it at all. Anyway, the IMRC just went, and I just had the rear shoes replace for the third time in about six months. The struts in the rear are just about shot. The hood won't shut unless you slam in a dozen times. Now there's a "misfire" in cylinder #2. There's a hairline crack in the coolant reservoir tank which sets off the CEL every now and then (that's what the dealer claims, anyway). Now the tranny is shifting harder than usuall. I just had the tranny fluid changed. I've always had it changed on time. All this since summer. This car was NEVER beat, and only pushed hard going to emergency calls. There's more, but I can't think right now. It's A LOT of little things, and no, their not hard or expensive to replace, but I'm NOT putting it in the garage every month for nit picking little things, and paying $40/hr for labor. And I just don't have the time to do these things myself (or what I can do). I'm out of the country constantly, and when I'm not, I'm driving all over the country. I can't take the chance with a high mileage car. Especially in the middle of nowhere. I love the car, it's the best all around car I've driven or probably ever will drive, but life goes on and sometimes we have to make tough decisions in life.
Posted By: rob_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/26/03 09:05 PM
If I wanted a really good quality vehicle, I'd be at the local BMW or Mercedes dealer

My boss has a Mercedes, a 1997 C230 to be exact.

After getting reamed for $1800 in maintenance at the Mercedes dealer, he said, "If I ever think about buying another Mercedes, shoot me."

The check engine light is still on and dealer said it needs a new mass air flow sensor for only $700 (No aftermarket replacements are available).

Tip: Never let a Mercedes warranty run out. They are expensive to repair, but their one of the nicest cars to drive. My "ex-boss" loves hers and never had a major problem with it in almost 8 years. The same goes for my girlfriends, grandfathers buddy. He loves his and wouldn't buy anything else.
Posted By: SVTcontourSVT Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/26/03 10:57 PM
I wish I owned a BMW M3
Posted By: RoadiJeff_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/27/03 02:03 AM
How long will it be before all of CEG has bought friggin Masda 6s???

Not me. Imports don't live long on the parking lot where I work.
Posted By: Contouraholic_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/27/03 02:54 AM
Originally posted by RoadiJeff:
How long will it be before all of CEG has bought friggin Masda 6s???

Not me. Imports don't live long on the parking lot where I work.

The 6 isn't an import. But the unwashed masses will never know that....

Debadge it and out Contour/ford badges on it. They will never guess...
Posted By: RoadiJeff_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/27/03 04:06 AM
Now there's a thought. But I think my Mystique still has a few good years left in her.

Right now I need to slip on the coveralls and crawl underneath and check out this CEL P0136 error code (bank 1, sensor 2, for anyone who was curious). I have MSDS headers and MIL eliminators so it might just be a wiring problem.
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/28/03 03:21 AM
Sounds like Jac Nasser's legacy right there--they really did some cost cutting in the late 90s, I think, and it shows, what with all the problems the Focus had when it came out.

Ford service does indeed suck, their customer service line is useless (all they do is refer you back to the dealership where you had the problem--you won't speak to anyone with any authority or ability to solve the problem). I've noticed that they treat any contact information for Ford corporate other than the 800-392-FORD number as top-secret.

(The manual for my 1988 Mustang lists about 25 Ford regional offices to contact in case of any problems. A google search for the phone numbers listed turned up nothing, so I wonder if those offices are still around. As it's 10:25PM on a Saturday night, I'll wait to call the Washington region number).

On flatratetech.com they even go as far as suggesting you "bribe" the dealership mechanics for doing major warranty service because Ford doesn't pay them as much for warranty work.

All that said, my '96 Contour needs the 99m03 recall done and probably a new oil pressure sender (I think it's leaking from there) and it should be good for the next several years.

The fact that Ford service sucks doesn't really bother me (except for the 99m03 recall, which is the only reason I'm dealing with them right now). Once the warranty expires, I don't go back to them.
Posted By: mmarfan_dup1 Re: Good bye All Mazda 6 time! - 12/28/03 04:07 AM
Joined the team Woo Woo! Mazda6club.com if you need a message board. I will say it does handle very well, but not as good as the tour did on Eibachs and Konis Enjoy man, oh yea, stick your color in your sig.
© CEG Archives