Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: svtzap_dup1 Almost scamed out of $19,000 and my SVT - 12/02/03 03:58 PM
Well here's the story...
I posted my 99 SVT for sale on here about 8-10 weeks ago for $12,500. Someone contacted me, we talked, and he said he was going to send a check and a transporter to come and pick up the car. So I get a check in the mail from Dublin, Ireland, for 19,000 and was told to take it to a checking store and Western Union him the difference. Of course I take the check to the bank and wait for it to clear. As soon as I told him I did that...He started to SH!T his pants, and I couldn't understand why. About a week later, I go to the bank only to find out they froze my savings account, because the check was COUNTERFIT. So I had to go to the police station, and now tomorrow I have to go to the FBI building and explain to them whats going on. Hopefully, we get this guy and stop him and other A$$HOLES like him trying to scam good people.
-Has this happened to anyone else on here?-
I can't believe you'd think it wasn't a scam.
Posted By: lsneo Re: Almost scamed out of $19,000 and my SVT - 12/02/03 04:03 PM
you should read the boards more often. there have been many posts warning about this.
Posted By: path914 Re: Almost scamed out of $19,000 and my SVT - 12/02/03 04:16 PM
Originally posted by lsneo:
you should read the boards more often. there have been many posts warning about this.

Lots... and there is even a warning at the top of the classifieds page. Sucks, I hope they catch him.
NOW can we make this a sticky?
Originally posted by lsneo:

for real. i bet someone posts about this at least once a week.
Ok, here's the deal.

If ANYONE sends you snailmail or e-mail on doing ANY type of business or exchange involving overseas entities (especially in Europe or Africa), it's a scam. PERIOD.

This crap has been going on for over 20 years now.

Furthermore, if it sounds too good to be true, it ALMOST ALWAYS is.
Originally posted by 2G Sport:

I second that. All in favor, say I.
Posted By: Mattyv12 Re: Almost scamed out of $19,000 and my SVT - 12/02/03 05:25 PM
I
EYE!!

I don't think it needs to be made a sticky. Its called common sense. Who is giving away money? No one. Therefore, common sense comes into play.
You don't even want me to comment on the idiocy of this. Someone wanted to cut me a huge check for my Tour once. THEN I WOKE UP!
I'm gonna start a new business selling bottles of "Common Sense" on ebay. I'll be RICH!!!!!!
Originally posted by Shaggy:

I don't think it needs to be made a sticky. Its called common sense. Who is giving away money? No one. Therefore, common sense comes into play.

I agree that it is common sense, but these posts keep appearing. I'm surprised todras hasn't told these people to SEARCH when they post asking if it sounds legit.

Searched "Scam"
WELL, ILL TELL YOU WHAT. ITS ONE HELL OF A SCAM. THE GUY ASKED FOR PICS, CALLED ME ON THE PHONE AND WE SPOKE ATLEAST A DOZEN TIMES. IF THAT DOESNT SOUND LIKE HE WAS SERIOUS ABOUT PURCHASING THE CAR, THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT DOES. AS FAR AS COMMON SENSE GOES, I SEE WHERE YOUR ALL COMMING FROM IF THEY JUST SEND SNAIL OR EMAIL. BUT IF THEY HAVE THE BALLS TO CALL YOU UP, ASK FOR INFO AND PICS OF THE CAR, THEN THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE REAL DEAL TO ME. IM JUST TRYING TO INFORME PEOPLE THAT THIS IS GOING ON...SO SORRY IF YOU'VE ALL READ ABOUT IT BEFORE, YOUR JUST GONNA HAVE TO READ ABOUT IT ONE MORE TIME.
Open up the classifieds and it's stated across the top of the page FYI. You'd have to see it to post an ad.
Posted By: Static Re: Almost scamed out of $19,000 and my SVT - 12/02/03 06:20 PM
its just funny that you told him your waiting for it to clear LOL
Hello,

I am located in central Zamunda and in your 1999 FORD CONTOUR I am interested. I wish to pay you $20,000 for your vehical that you paid $18,000 for new. This is fair price, no? I have busines associate in Unted States who is owing me money, and since I am so wealthy I have not figured out how to pay transporter on my own. Therefore you must send me the difference. For your efort I will give you additional $2,500. On top of that, I will send you 10 goats and a potato gun. YOu are great friend in United States. I wish to hear from you soonest.
Posted By: Static Re: Almost scamed out of $19,000 and my SVT - 12/02/03 06:29 PM
Originally posted by 00SVT:
Hello,

On top of that, I will send you 10 goats and a potato gun. YOu are great friend in United States. I wish to hear from you soonest.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA woohoo you wont have to buy a new car cause you can ride the goats or pull a wagon. and now you can ever do a drive buy here and there with your new potato gun
Originally posted by Big Poppa:
Hello,

On top of that, I will send you 10 goats and a potato gun. YOu are great friend in United States. I wish to hear from you soonest.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA woohoo you wont have to buy a new car cause you can ride the goats or pull a wagon. and now you can ever do a drive buy here and there with your new potato gun

What's the conversion rate from goat power (GP) to horsepower?
Hello,

I am located in Zamunda

Don't deal with him! He is a crook!

He scammed me out of my totaled tour!!!

On a side note: Sorry todras, didn't notice that.

That pic made my day! Coming to America rules! Soul Glo baby!
That is cruel man. Poor original poster is feeling really bad.

That pic made my day.
Hello,

I am located in Zamunda

Don't deal with him! He is a crook!

He scammed me out of my totaled tour!!!

That is the best picture ever. I'm glad the Zamunda reference was caught...
I vote for this as the funniest thread ever! I mean come on, a guy overseas wants to purchase a CONTOUR for a ridiculous amount of money... hahahahah
5 goats = 1 horse, less the cost of cheese, therefore h.p. rating per goat is 10.
Posted By: KTPdave Re: Almost scamed out of $19,000 and my SVT - 12/02/03 10:45 PM
Cause you know a Contour is sooooo much better than a Mondeo in Europe.

Yup....sounds so real.
Originally posted by thefairwaymob:
5 goats = 1 horse, less the cost of cheese, therefore h.p. rating per goat is 10.

So for 10 goats we're talking 100 hp, I'm assuming that's at the hoof and not leg hp. Not too bad I guess, still beats the average civic.
i was offered 9000 for my car when i was only askin 5000. hmmmmmmmm. emailed the guy and told him i'd meet him to make the sale. he sent me addy to meet him in maryland. i live in wisconsin. a fellow ceg'er did a mapquest search only to find that addy didn't even exsist. go figure.

-dart
Hey everyone....stop being a$$holes and give the guy a break. Apparently he is new to the whole situation. He was making a post here to help everyone else out. Maybe this happened before the sticky was attached to the top of every page. Hell, I had a reply to my (MTX-75) ad for a debtors check of $5,000. I sent a guy a copy of the sticky and haven't heard from him again. It's the word of guys like SVTZAP that save our butts. Thanks SVTZAP, I'm not throwing you crap for saving fellow CEG'er's butts.
Originally posted by 98sleepysvt:
Hey everyone....stop being a$$holes and give the guy a break. Apparently he is new to the whole situation. He was making a post here to help everyone else out. Maybe this happened before the sticky was attached to the top of every page. Hell, I had a reply to my (MTX-75) ad for a debtors check of $5,000. I sent a guy a copy of the sticky and haven't heard from him again. It's the word of guys like SVTZAP that save our butts. Thanks SVTZAP, I'm not throwing you crap for saving fellow CEG'er's butts.

I agree.

You re-regged to tell us this?

I feel bad for the guy, but he has been registered for 1 1/2 years and this scam has been posted all over the net and has made world news on TV.
Posted By: sacd3 Re: Almost scamed out of $19,000 and my SVT - 12/03/03 07:48 PM
lmao that pic is halarious
This site blows!!
Originally posted by AdrianCarrion:
This site blows!!

Yeah, it sure does...

Hey, did you guys know that Bill Gates sent my friend's uncle's cousin $100 'cause he sent an email around? It's true!!!
Originally posted by Shaggy:

You re-regged to tell us this?

Busted by a Moderator!

ROFLMAFAO!
Do you have the address in Dublin ?

-edit- I'm sure the FBI will investigate this anyway but if you want to report this yourself to the police in Ireland, I'd suggest the following address.

Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation
Harcourt Square
Dublin 2
Ireland

Credit card fraud is rampant in Ireland at the moment, maily perpretrated by organised gangs of Nigerians now living in Ireland. This seems like a new line of business for them.
Posted By: R_G Re: Almost scamed out of $19,000 and my SVT - 12/04/03 06:48 AM
Originally posted by MarkO:
Credit card fraud is rampant in Ireland at the moment, maily perpretrated by organised gangs of Nigerians now living in Ireland. This seems like a new line of business for them.

New? LOL This Nigerian crap was goin' on for the last 5-6 years.
Originally posted by RGSOUNDF:

Try at least 20. My father has a typewritten letter from one of those idiots dating back to the mid-80's hanging on the door to his office...
Originally posted by MarkO:

Yes, I know this is not a new scam but this is the first time I've seen this scam out of Ireland. It may not even be a Nigerian gang, I'm just taking an educated guess.
Posted By: R_G Re: Almost scamed out of $19,000 and my SVT - 12/05/03 04:34 AM
Mark - BTW, correct me if I am wrong, it was my undestanding that Ireland has a realtively small number of immigrants - not like GB. Is that true?
Mark - BTW, correct me if I am wrong, it was my undestanding that Ireland has a realtively small number of immigrants - not like GB. Is that true?

Yes, relative to the UK, the numbers are quite small. A great number of families in the UK are 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants now, the families moving to the UK originally many years ago.

Immigration to Ireland took off in the mid '90s when the economy took off. It has been a very contentious subject over there.
Posted By: R_G Re: Almost scamed out of $19,000 and my SVT - 12/05/03 10:38 AM
There's a girl in my class, she left Dublin like 10 years ago, so she is telling me in Ireland one will never see anything like you might see in UK - like entire hoods or even cities full of Indiands or Pakistanis...
© CEG Archives