Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 00ContourSE_dup1 Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 09:10 PM
Am I the only one who's noticed that the Common Interests forum is gone? Mods, any input?
Posted By: Pigeon Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 09:11 PM
I was just like WTF??? cause I was just looking at it, went away for a second, and now it's gone! I musta refreshed 5 times, trying to figure out where it went. WTF?!

Scott
Posted By: 18psi2300 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 09:15 PM
I hope this has nothing to do with my post analyzing the intricate inner workings of a repost...
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 09:20 PM
Yep, it's gone for the rest of the day.

If people don't wise up and start abiding by the rules, it will be gone permanently.

I'm not in the mood to be trifled with today.

-Lance
Posted By: PackRat_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 09:22 PM
What rules were broken?
Posted By: 00ContourSE_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 09:23 PM
Allow me to be the first to say "thank you." There's been so much trash on there lately. With people posting items that will instantaneously incite arguments (i.e. "who's liberal, conservative?") this was bound to happen sooner or later, and I'm glad that it did. Again, Lance, thank you. Perhaps people will wise up now.

Edit: Might I suggest a purge of the current posts before the forum is restored?
Posted By: rouar Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 09:25 PM
Originally posted by 00ContourSE:
Allow me to be the first to say "thank you." There's been so much trash on there lately. With people posting items that will instantaneously incite arguments (i.e. "who's liberal, conservative?") this was bound to happen sooner or later, and I'm glad that it did. Again, Lance, thank you. Perhaps people will wise up now.

I echo this. Perhaps it should be gone for the next week as well. Not permanent, of course though.

What rules were broken today?
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 09:31 PM
Rules consistently broken recently:

#2, 4, 8, 9, and particularly 13.

Guidelines...Read them

-Lance
Posted By: Mattyv12 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 09:37 PM
i hear ya on #13 lance
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 09:37 PM
I found the common interests forum to be entertaining and useful many times, so I'm gonna miss it, but it did get outta hand sometimes. I hope ya'll don't think I'm post whoring, I just post a lot and could care less about some little number. I guess I'll make do without the common interests page.
Posted By: 00ContourSE_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 09:38 PM
Quote:

Posting just to raise your post count (aka post whoring) will not be tolerated in any form. If an admin deems you are abusing your account in this manner, your post count will be zeroed and you will lose posting privileges for a couple days.

Now I get it. Good call.
Posted By: oldmanriver Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 09:45 PM
lol, i accidentally clicked on dyno and drag just by habit, and noticed that i wasnt where i should be. i say you get rid of it for good, save madddd bandwidth.
Posted By: rouar Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 09:52 PM
Originally posted by lithium398:
i say you get rid of it for good,

Back in 2000/2001 (just before I registered!) the Off-topic forum was added due to too many "OT: blah blah blah" posts in the General forum. After the cgi/php switch in August 2002, that forum was deleted again due to too much drama having been in it that summer. Unfortunately the "OT" posts in the General forum started up soon after again. The Common Interests forum is primarily a release from this issue. It's almost an impossibility having it gone. I don't have the authority to say this, but I do hope the forum rules will be more strictly enforced/followed and "CI blackouts" such as this one will happen more often just to keep people straight.

While I'm on a rant making suggestions as such, might as well say I think something should be done about the search and repost nazis as well. My apologies if I am acting out-of-place saying this.
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 10:13 PM
Originally posted by 98 SE:
While I'm on a rant making suggestions as such, might as well say I think something should be done about the search and repost nazis as well.

You know if you did a search you would find that this has been sugessted many times
Posted By: DimitriPopov Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 10:18 PM
Not much else to do here besides CI. Maybe check up on stuff every one or two weeks, thats about it :-/
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 10:35 PM
Quote:

Although you may think your personal life is interesting, please don't post the intimate details. This isn't a forum for outlining the saga of your life

I think this one is out of hand. I am so tired of "As the Furby turns" and the rest of you forlorn lovers on this site.

Posted By: mavrock_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 10:43 PM
lol, i accidentally clicked on dyno and drag just by habit, and noticed that i wasnt where i should be. i say you get rid of it for good, save madddd bandwidth.

I'm not trying to play Devil's advocate here, but how exactly will it save 'madddd bandwidth'?? Unless there are signigicantly large pictures all you're downloading is text. And let's face it, how many of us are on dial-ups, and of those who are, who's using anything slower than a 56k? My guess would be almost none. The current size of this thread is around 70K, and it's a full 2 pages...not a very large download at all...it's not like you can read faster than it's loading the page anyway. If you really want to eliminate something that hogs bandwidth, get rid of the Pics and Videos forum.

Also, isn't it possible and even probable that a lot of the BS that was in the Common Interests forums will just find its way to other forums like this one?

Again, I'm just trying to point a different side, not advocate it, I'm not even sure exactly why the CI forum is shut down, it was up when I went to bed last night and this is my first time on since.

I really do enjoy the forums here and hope it doesn't turn into a total waste of Internet space and honestly don't think that it will...there is a lot of good information on here.
Posted By: Ã?ber Evil Mushu! Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 10:46 PM
People will just turn the general section into off topic just like they did last time.

Don't get made at me for saying it. I'm just telling the truth and we know it.
Posted By: proliphik Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 10:50 PM
nooooooooooo i posted a new topic i hope i didn't get lance upset i needed help on a history project so i asked if people had a subscription to the washington post online so i could check archived articles under their name.
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 10:53 PM
Originally posted by 98 SE:
I don't have the authority to say this, but I do hope the forum rules will be more strictly enforced/followed and "CI blackouts" such as this one will happen more often just to keep people straight.

While I'm on a rant making suggestions as such, might as well say I think something should be done about the search and repost nazis as well. My apologies if I am acting out-of-place saying this.

On point 1: it may require more people to admin the CI forum. Also, some people really tend to fly off the handle when a "grey-area" post gets locked, at which point strict enforcement of the rules starts causing more problems than it solves. Every lock will result in a new "hey, why'd you lock my post" or "CEG suX0rs!" thread.

On point 2: the problem I have with "doing something" with the search nazis is that in forums like Troubleshooting, there's an admin post by Lance specifically requesting newbies use the search function. I personally have repeatedly answered the same questions over and over, and it gets old. I enjoy helping people, especially when its easy to answer their questions, but it gets frustrating when someone could just take 15 minutes and find the answer with a simple search. My other option is to just stop answering those questions althogether, which is even less helpful to a newbie than "search for xxxx and you'll find your answer." Although I would say that the tone and attitude used by some people could really be toned down a few notches (I'm guilty of this too from time to time).

I really like having the CI forum. It can be a great place to just talk, discuss, argue, whatever; but I do agree that Lance and the other admins have no obligation to support it.
Posted By: PackRat_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 10:56 PM
I would be happy to volunteer to be a moderator.
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 10:57 PM
At home I am on dial up and I can only connect at 26.4k so I guess I am. The pics and vids forum does not take up much bandwidth on the server because most if not all the pics and vids are not hosted at contour.org but on other servers so the only bandwidth used by contour.org is a little bit to link to them (not much at all)

I would guess it was shutdown because it because more of a personal interests forum for some people than a common interests.
Posted By: I-Dom-In-VIII Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Mushu:
People will just turn the general section into off topic just like they did last time.

Don't get made at me for saying it. I'm just telling the truth and we know it.

I agree with Kelly on this one.
Posted By: rouar Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 11:12 PM
Originally posted by hetfield:
Although I would say that the tone and attitude used by some people could really be toned down a few notches (I'm guilty of this too from time to time).

This was my problem. I have absolutely no problem with people suggesting "search on xxxxx and you will find your answer" or the more helpful people that will do the search for you, sending both the hint to search next time and the answer to your current problem (killing two birds with one stone). My problem is some post in topics stating "Do a search!", which is effectively post whoring and not helpful at all especially if topic starter had searched and not found the answer to his problem.

When I made the above statement I was complaining more about the repost people. Granted, when it's repost #4 or 5 then it is not annoying, but when somebody posts something and somebody else says "repost" pointing to a topic five months old, that's a major pet peeve of mine on the boards.
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 11:16 PM
Ok, so we were on the same page to begin with... sorry
Posted By: MotorCity Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 11:25 PM
Being that I don't have a Contour anymore I spent quite a bit of time posting in Common Interests as I like the CEG community still.

If that was not there I am not so sure I would have donated money to keep a site going for a car I don't own. Well I would have anyway for previous helpful info and entertainment value but I am just illustrating a point.

Its like I go on CEG and don't even think about it much that its a Contour oriented site. Hey I got a zetec!
Posted By: Renee_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Fmr12B:
I think this one is out of hand. I am so tired of "As the Furby turns" and the rest of you forlorn lovers on this site.

Yeah yeah, blame it on me, especially when I haven't posted but 1 thing in the past week. Geesh.
Posted By: BP_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/02/03 11:55 PM
it's furby's fault the common interest section is gone.

Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 12:06 AM
Originally posted by MrsFurby72:

Yeah yeah, blame it on me, especially when I haven't posted but 1 thing in the past week. Geesh.

Serenity now!
Serenity now!
Serenity now!
Serenity now!
Serenity now!
Posted By: Freakshow Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 12:06 AM
I was soooooooooooooo close to starting a new thread in this forum with the title "OT (insert something stupid here)" but I figured with Lance being in such a bad mood maybe not.

Anyway, my $.02 is I like the CI forum but if people are getting out of hand on ANY forum just maybe warn em once and/or lock them outta CEG for say...5 days. If after that they continue to violate the rules give em the old heave ho ISP banning. I know of several sites that operate this way kind of a "timeout" for people who can't play nice. Not even sure what it would take from Lance's end to be able to do that but it's worth a try maybe if it can be done easily.
And search Nazis do need to tone it down. There are times I will tell some new guy to search but I usually do it nicely and maybe give them some tips for a sucessful use of the search but this whole "omfg N00B USE THE SEARCH" kinda crap is a waste or EVERYONE's time.
Posted By: Trapps_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 12:08 AM
I would venture to say that common interests contains significant amounts of personal information because many people have been here for a long time. Over time we develop familiarity and even friendships. If not in the real world, certainly on-line. There are regulars here for whom I have an enormous amount of respect; even if I disagree with their views. I enjoy common interests and my frequency of visits there is equal to all other forums combined. There is support when needed, always a fresh perspective and no shortage of people to suggest removing ones head from an anatomically impossible position. Losing CI would be a loss for the site as a whole. It would not keep me away from the CEG, but I would spend less time here.

In addition to personal information, and speaking for myself, the content is varied just as it would be in any group that exists over a length of time. Perhaps you're may be involved in an MBA study group, or some other entity that forms to address one specific topic. What happens after time is growth. It occurs in almost all ongoing groups. For instance, in addition to proving a theory about forecasting relevance in a waning market with unforseen variables, I discuss my car. The weather. Politics. If the group loses this ability, to digress, it becomes less 'fun.'

For me the CEG is about more than CDW information. It has become a fun place to be. I know almost all of what I need to and most of what I want to about my car. I have learned, or at least considered, a great deal more about topics much more significant than my car here.

Perhaps I missed the violations in CI because I am selective in what threads (and the post originators) I'll pass through. Others, I ignore. I am not forced to read or even reply (albiet sometimes I feel compelled).

My point is I think the loss of CI would negatively impact the CEG. All of us can contribute - think about what you post. Review the rules. Don't feed the fire. The onus should not fall on the moderators, but the members. That said, there will always be 10%. The knucklehead, whining, instigating, lying, uneducated, cement for brains, common sense lacking individuals whose sole value to planet earth is the conversion of oxygen to carbon dioxide so that our flora may return the favor. In a sick twist of fate, these people have computers, internet access, and worst of all, our address. I do believe in fate. I also believe in my own ability to adapt and overcome the hand I'm dealt. The CEG membership, collectively, has the ability to not let a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

Thanks to all for listening to my views. Also, thanks again to Lance for the CEG.

Mark

EDIT: corrected some typos; I like Freakshows concept of warn once and then ban. No second chances.
Posted By: MarkO_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 12:15 AM
Very well put Trapps ....
Posted By: Outback Gal_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 12:27 AM
Originally posted by MotorCity:
Sheesh. Being that I don't have a Contour anymore I spent quite a bit of time posting in Common Interests as I like the CEG community still.

If that was not there I am not so sure I would have donated money to keep a site going for a car I don't own. Well I probably would have for previous helpful info but I am just illustrating a point.

If you read Lance's post he said it is gone for the rest of the day, not forever. If things don't improve it could get removed permanently, which is the point he was trying to make.

It will be back up tomorrow and hopefully a few people will clue in.
Posted By: R_G Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 12:40 AM
Haven't been readin' CI for quite a time now, so I ain't got no idea what happened, but I guess Kremit had to do something with that - like copying my new black carpet and all.

Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 12:51 AM
Couldn't agree more, Trapps...

CI is a fun area, but had to step in and get people's attention.

The way I've rewritten the rules is definitely the direction of warn once, ban for subsequent violations.

-Lance
Posted By: oldmanriver Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 01:06 AM
Originally posted by mavrock:

I'm not trying to play Devil's advocate here, but how exactly will it save 'madddd bandwidth'?? Unless there are signigicantly large pictures all you're downloading is text. And let's face it, how many of us are on dial-ups, and of those who are, who's using anything slower than a 56k? My guess would be almost none. The current size of this thread is around 70K, and it's a full 2 pages...not a very large download at all...it's not like you can read faster than it's loading the page anyway. If you really want to eliminate something that hogs bandwidth, get rid of the Pics and Videos forum.

Also, isn't it possible and even probable that a lot of the BS that was in the Common Interests forums will just find its way to other forums like this one?

Again, I'm just trying to point a different side, not advocate it, I'm not even sure exactly why the CI forum is shut down, it was up when I went to bed last night and this is my first time on since.

I really do enjoy the forums here and hope it doesn't turn into a total waste of Internet space and honestly don't think that it will...there is a lot of good information on here.

Well the madddd bandwidth wasted is from the members that dont post on any place, BUT the CI area. For instance...

Originally posted by MrsFurby72:

...who has made a recent life accomplishment of not posting in a week.

-and-

Zippy_Zetec
CEG'er

Reged: 09/26/03
Loc: TX

Posted By: DimitriPopov Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 01:24 AM
Plz people , Claiming that MrsFurbies posts were acutally bad is pathetic. If you didnt want to friggin read about it , dont click it. There were SOOO many posts about worse topics than hers or Zippys. Zippys post were never greviously off topic either..
Posted By: BP_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 01:35 AM
hey you can't stick up for people cause you don't even have a contour. be gone troll!
Posted By: 00ContourSE_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 01:38 AM
Speaking of Zippy, where is he? I figured he would have chimed in by now....or has he joined CBM, Citation10, and Str8piped??
Posted By: DimitriPopov Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 01:38 AM
Originally posted by BP:
hey you can't stick up for people cause you don't even have a contour. be gone troll!

Actually I do , I just dont feel like giving everyone pictures if they are going to be so mean about everything
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Lance Kinley:
Couldn't agree more, Trapps...

CI is a fun area, but had to step in and get people's attention.

The way I've rewritten the rules is definitely the direction of warn once, ban for subsequent violations.

-Lance

I agree with Trapps and you, too. Lets weed out the weeds already.

I won't miss CI today. I'll spend less time online tonight and actually do a few things I need to do.
Posted By: oldmanriver Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 01:42 AM
We are such hypocrites because this thread has become our OT forum. sorry lance! everybody shut up now
Posted By: Freakshow Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 01:49 AM
Originally posted by DimitriPopov:
Plz people , Claiming that MrsFurbies posts were acutally bad is pathetic. If you didnt want to friggin read about it , dont click it. There were SOOO many posts about worse topics than hers or Zippys. Zippys post were never greviously off topic either..

I can beleive it and sorta hate myself for it but I actually agree with Dmitri on something. I would be willing to bet that there has been more bandwidth wasted by people bitching about Furby's posts than her actual posts themselves. As for zippy, that kid is just odd. heh j/k
Posted By: Stevers Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 02:00 AM

I'd just like to point out again that most of the content in the Pics & Videos forum doesn't use CEG bandwidth.
Posted By: BOFH Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 02:02 AM
Quote:

Although you may think your personal life is interesting, please don't post the intimate details. This isn't a forum for outlining the saga of your life

I guess I'm recently guilty of this. However, lance if you are listening, could you send me my heartbreak thread as there was a lot of good reference material mentioned and I didn't copy it down.

Thanks,

TB
Bent but not Broken

EDIT, nevermind, I presume it will be back tomorrow, so I'll look for it and copy it.

I will echo what Trapps said.

Besides, I need a bit of CEG or I'll go pester Lori, and she'll be really mad at me.

PM me if you want the details so far...

tb
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 02:21 AM
And let's face it, how many of us are on dial-ups, and of those who are, who's using anything slower than a 56k? My guess would be almost none.

I'm on 28.8k though everything loads fine. That's not the reason the CI forum was closed.
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 02:28 AM
Originally posted by 00ContourSE:
Speaking of Zippy, where is he? I figured he would have chimed in by now....or has he joined CBM, Citation10, and Str8piped??

no im here, just dont want to be a post whore anymore...figured i would stay off the site for a few days. I JUST CANT GET AWAY>>>CEG IS SO ADDICTING...

Anyway, back on topic. i agree with you lance and i appreciate and respect your decision to delete that forum for a few days. good idea. i know it certianly woke me up! lol
Posted By: DimitriPopov Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 02:32 AM
Originally posted by freakshow:
Originally posted by DimitriPopov:

I can beleive it and sorta hate myself for it but I actually agree with Dmitri on something. I would be willing to bet that there has been more bandwidth wasted by people bitching about Furby's posts than her actual posts themselves. As for zippy, that kid is just odd. heh j/k

Thanks that makes me feel great that you have to hate yourself to agree with me :P
Posted By: g r y m e s_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 03:22 AM
This is the first time I can recall where someone has actually admitted to post whoring. I think this is a step in the right direction. Time for a PWA meeting: Hello, my name is Zippy Zetec and I am a post whore.

As far as all of this crazyiness goes, although I was looking forward to read a few notes in the CI forum, I understand action needs to be taken and I am glad it finally has.

Sir Lancey, you complete me. But seriously, what you have done and created, although it may not seem like much at first, its a lot. So many people here I have come to trust, come to advise for(anything from cars, to audio, to what color socks to wear). And I am sure this is true for everyone here, at least most. If it wasnt for the CEG, I wouldnt own a SVT Contour. If it wasnt for the CEG, I wouldnt have to deal with junk mail from Luke everyday. And lastly, if it wasnt for the CEG I would have a life.

Thanks again Lance, the friendships you have allowed to exist are priceless, and we all know this message board is far from that.

-Brian

Posted By: Bullet Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 03:53 AM
That's beautiful man.

I also agree with Trapps post.
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 04:45 AM
No, Tony, that was not the intent of that rule...

That line of posting is fine... you're 'family' and you had a legitimate reason to ask for help/advice/prayer/etc.

What I am trying to avoid is people sharing details that really shouldn't be public. Also, chronic posting of personal problems which turns the forum into 'group therapy' on a weekly basis is not what we're going for here...

I'll try to think of a better way to elegantly phrase that in the rules.

-Lance
Posted By: luvinmycontour Re: Am I missing something? - 10/03/03 06:26 PM
why elegantly phrase it? you should be direct, and forthright. if i had read the rules, before i began posting like i was supposed to, i wouldnt have contributed to this. i am publicly apologizing to everyone (especially you lance) for the incessant post whoring. I was dumb and didnt read the rules before posting. so im sorry everyone. ill try to do better in the future. i cant help but think that this was mostly my fault...
© CEG Archives