Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
..So I thought I'd join this fine messageboard.

I bought this puppy sight-unseen, and still haven't seen it. It's being delivered next week. It's the LS Young America Edition. V6 = Yum!

Here's some pics:

Please, educate a newbie. What kind of wierd little things tend to go wrong with Contours/Mystiques? I've owned a '96 Contour SE V6, and I've seen firsthand the joys of their water pump issues..

Taking into consideration the work it needs (bumper, headlights, windshield, and airbags)... Do you think it was a good deal for $280? (I've estimated it to be about $250 for the headlights, bumper, and airbags.. I haven't gotten a price on the windshield yet, though. Frankly, I'm a little scared.)

I'm still surprised I won it for that cheap.. The seller has really good feedback, and he delivers (and it's about a buck a mile.)

So whatcha guys think?
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/13/03 11:55 PM
A CEG member, "MystiqueSVT" has a car like this one. (May have sold it by not though.)

$280 isn't bad for all the good parts on it.

Originally posted by 2000GreenTour:
A CEG member, "MystiqueSVT" has a car like this one. (May have sold it by not though.)

$280 isn't bad for all the good parts on it.

That's what I'm thinking. The seller says it runs like a dream, and I'm crossing my fingers. Though it's good to know there's always a plan B.
Posted By: Bullet Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/14/03 03:15 PM
Runs like a dream, and you got it for $280? I'd say the engine alone is worth that, not to mention the leather interior, wheels, glass, etc.
BTW, your pictures aren't showing up. When I try to copy and paste the properties, Internet Exploder freezes up.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/14/03 04:16 PM
First off, welcome aboard Theres really not any "rare" Contiques, except for yours, so I say put some money into it (seeing you didn't really spend any to buy it ) and enjoy! Think about it, a paint job can be had for about $2K, so that would take care of that, if it needs it. If your not going to keep it stock, add some FSVT rims painted white leaving the lip silver, get the misc parts bought and installed and drive the heck out of it. BTW, one little thing you might want to replace is the cabin filter In closing, if it isn't up to snuff, part it out, you'll make your money back and then some i.e. the center reflector and tailights which work on the Tour and give it a different look altogether, I know, I did this
Originally posted by The Striped SVT:
First off, welcome aboard Theres really not any "rare" Contiques, except for yours, so I say put some money into it (seeing you didn't really spend any to buy it ) and enjoy! Think about it, a paint job can be had for about $2K, so that would take care of that, if it needs it. If your not going to keep it stock, add some FSVT rims painted white leaving the lip silver, get the misc parts bought and installed and drive the heck out of it. BTW, one little thing you might want to replace is the cabin filter In closing, if it isn't up to snuff, part it out, you'll make your money back and then some i.e. the center reflector and tailights which work on the Tour and give it a different look altogether, I know, I did this

As far as we know, the paint's alright, and we've got a white bumper waiting on us.. So paint's not something that's crossed my mind yet. I have ever intention of getting some funky wheels.. I'm trying to keep moderation in mind, just for my own financial security - I'm hoping to buy a new car next spring.

If this car isn't up to snuff, I have two options - If it runs well enough to be a beater car, I could hook my dad up - He commutes an hour and a half each way to work, and his '00 Cavalier sounds like a can of peanuts. If it's not good enough for that, then it'll be Ebay'd in bits and pieces.

Here's a question for you guys.. In all my searching, I haven't seen a car of this edition without a sunroof or a wing.. (Then again, I didn't see too many...) Were those options that mine just didn't come with?

All in all, I'm still intrigued. I'm calling the seller tomorrow to set up a date to meet my car and deliver the last half of the payment either Thursday or Friday.

By the way - Yeah, my pictures don't work half the time. Crappy server. It's two bucks a month - I can't complain if it works at least 20% of the time, when I'm paying 20% of what a real server costs.
Posted By: Nate S Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/15/03 12:31 AM
I think 280 bucks sounds amazing. How many miles does it have on it?
140k.. It's just being broken in. My old Contour was a '97, and when I traded it in two years ago, it had 150k on it.. Which it handled pretty well.
Posted By: oldmanriver Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/15/03 03:14 AM
ill give you 500 bucks for it
Posted By: Tim_dup3 Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/15/03 04:32 AM
Originally posted by Cheapo Mystique-o:
..So I thought I'd join this fine messageboard.

I bought this puppy sight-unseen, and still haven't seen it. It's being delivered next week. It's the LS Young America Edition. V6 = Yum!

Here's some pics:

Please, educate a newbie. What kind of wierd little things tend to go wrong with Contours/Mystiques? I've owned a '96 Contour SE V6, and I've seen firsthand the joys of their water pump issues..

Taking into consideration the work it needs (bumper, headlights, windshield, and airbags)... Do you think it was a good deal for $280? (I've estimated it to be about $250 for the headlights, bumper, and airbags.. I haven't gotten a price on the windshield yet, though. Frankly, I'm a little scared.)

I'm still surprised I won it for that cheap.. The seller has really good feedback, and he delivers (and it's about a buck a mile.)

So whatcha guys think?

That sure is a clean engine bay for 140k miles. I know my 140k Mystique LS Duratec has a really, really dirty engine bay.

Tim
Originally posted by lithium398:
ill give you 500 bucks for it

Nah, I want to play with it it before I unload it!
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/15/03 01:13 PM
is it ATX or MTX?
Posted By: Niss Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/15/03 01:22 PM
Damn good deal you got. Car looks pretty good for a $280 car.
Estimated $250...I hope you've called around for this stuff for that figure. A windshield @ a glass co. will probably cost more than the car not to mention removal of the old one + installation (see if the seller has one available for it out of a junker). Air bags are very expensive from a salvage yard, not to mention what they would cost new(more than double what you paid for the car) unless you have connections. If you aren't concerned w/ the safety of the airbags, you can get replacement covers(non-functional) pretty cheap... www.hicksairbagcovers.com

You'd be better off trying to find a complete header(mounting panel, headlights, grill) than trying to piece it together, used bumpers are pretty cheap, I think I've seen some in the classifieds here...either way good luck! Great deal!
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/15/03 09:01 PM
I believe the "Young America" Mystiques came with spoiler and sunroofs as part of that package.
What does the right side look like?? Looks like its twisted in the front...better check the right front frame rail, could be $$$$$. Its always worth the money in the good parts on it though.
Just think what you could do to this car ,if you put the same amount of money into it, as it would have cost you retail. Say...$3000 - $4000 , Hmmmmm.........
Originally posted by WestCoastAjax:
Just think what you could do to this car ,if you put the same amount of money into it, as it would have cost you retail. Say...$3000 - $4000 , Hmmmmm.........

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

At the risk of sounding like a faker newbie, airbags are not as expensive as I thought they were - You just have to look in the right place. (And of course, I'll tell you where the right place is.. After I've got mine..)

The cost of repair that I tallied didn't include the windshield.. That's the only thing I haven't looked into, but finding a salvage one shouldn't be too tough, I'd imagine.

I'm still puzzled by the sunroof. It does have all the other characteristics of a YA, but not the sunroof. The spoiler I'm not too concerned about, 'cause that's at least removable. The sunroof though.. That's not quite removable.

At the risk of sounding like a faker newbie, airbags are not as expensive as I thought they were - You just have to look in the right place. (And of course, I'll tell you where the right place is.. After I've got mine..)

I got a freebee for my wheel, but I'm gonna buy a new "cover" for the other side, just so it looks good...My dad owns a body shop so I have all the "right places" at my fingertips...connections connections connections. I just got a complete header w/ perfect lights & grill, two interior door panels, dash trim panels & wiring for $100...it's also good to take your time when looking, I about gave up before I called this guy. I'm still under $2500 in this car & I have everything to complete it now (that includes SVT bumpers & skirts, 17"s) so really anything else is icing...30000mi baby! Cheapo is good
Originally posted by SVZETEC:
What does the right side look like?? Looks like its twisted in the front...better check the right front frame rail, could be $$$$$. Its always worth the money in the good parts on it though.

If that picture works and *stays* working.. That's the right front.

Hey, it's even got washer fluid!
Originally posted by Russell:
is it ATX or MTX?

ATX!
Posted By: SKWAT_dup1 Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/16/03 02:42 AM
is it ATX or MTX?

ATX!

Mystiques are ATX only, the only negative side.
Whether it runs well or not, there's at least $280 worth in parts on that car... Also, it looks as though the antenna is broken... if it is a power antenna (which a Mystique LS should have) it looks to be stuck part-way up, if not a power antenna, it looks like it snapped.

The only repair work my 95 mystique has been in the shop for is the water pump job (not really repair since I replaced it when the original was still good, thanks to these forums). Everything else has been routine maintenance or broken plastic (cupholders, grrr!). Strange about the model being called Young America Edition, but does not seem to have all the trim. One other thing I noticed is the engine dress cover is a different shape than on my Mystique and has the Duratec name on it... mine is an very early model, made July 1994, and my engine cover is plain plastic and my intake manifold has the engine badge with Ford logo and "24 VALVE DOHC".
I wonder if the engine pictured actually came from a newer Contique? Or did Ford change engine dress covers in '95 models, or did the previous owner replace their dress cover?
If the original owner kept the engine that clean for 140k miles, it may well be that they swapped some parts around... possibly even Young America Edition leather seats?
Posted By: rmcd79_dup1 Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/16/03 12:48 PM
Really? Mystiques only come with ATX, weird.
Posted By: Niss Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/16/03 01:20 PM
Originally posted by SKWAT:

I agree, i've never seen a MTX Mystique, but when I checked my car's book value on KBB, check out the picture they had on there... what gives?

well what country was this car sold in? Only here in the states of the transmissions sold ATXs out numbers MTXs. In other countries of the transmissions sold MTXs out numbers ATXs
Posted By: rmcd79_dup1 Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/16/03 02:31 PM
ok, nobody saw my joke, MTX Mystiques are and always have been available in the US, check my sig, the car was made in KC and bought in Iowa. They were rarer than the average contique sure but they do exsist, in fact the dealership I bought mine at got another one less than a month after i got mine.
I believe the "Young America" Mystiques came with spoiler and sunroofs as part of that package.

Nope, my YA Mystique had a spoiler put on later, I found the install sticker in the trunk.
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/16/03 08:18 PM
Originally posted by rmcd79:

Totally false, MTX was standard in all Mystiques. Dealers orderd 99% ATX, however, so they are rare.
Posted By: Y2KGreenSE Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/16/03 08:19 PM
Originally posted by A2Steve:

Nope, my YA Mystique had a spoiler put on later, I found the install sticker in the trunk.

Well, I didn't say I was 100% sure. 'MystiqueSVT' in Florida would know all about these cars.
Posted By: Mattyv12 Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/16/03 09:03 PM

Totally false, MTX was standard in all Mystiques. Dealers orderd 99% ATX, however, so they are rare.

my stique is mtx.... and i love it
Originally posted by SKWAT:
is it ATX or MTX?

ATX!

That's not true.
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/17/03 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Mattyv12:

Ditto
the question is- WHY would anyone buy an ATX Mystique when 5-speeds are much more fun??????????
Posted By: unisys12 Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/18/03 03:58 AM
Originally posted by funnylooktancar:
the question is- WHY would anyone buy an ATX Mystique when 5-speeds are much more fun??????????

Because maybe, just maybe, that was all they could find!!
Posted By: Josch_dup1 Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/18/03 04:10 AM

I just seen this pic, and noticed the woodgrain dash around the stereo. Is that stock? Is that a Tauras/Sable in the pic?

I want to change the interior trim in my Contour to woodgrain, but if it comes stock on some model of Contour/Mystique, then I could perhaps find it in salvage yard?

Anyone know by chance?

Or can the aftermarket supply kits

PS- not meaning to hi-jack thread. Please forgive
yes the woodgrain is stock:98-99 and newer mystiques I beleive. It came stock on mine. I also love my MTX Mystique.
Originally posted by unisys12:

You win!
Originally posted by Josch:

I want to change the interior trim in my Contour to woodgrain, but if it comes stock on some model of Contour/Mystique, then I could perhaps find it in salvage yard?

Anyone know by chance?

www.dashkit.com
Posted By: sosaudio1 Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/18/03 02:04 PM
Originally posted by mbb41:
Originally posted by Mattyv12:

Ditto

Ditto!!!!

Love my MTX
Originally posted by unisys12:

Exactly...
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 Re: So I just bought a '95 Mystique.. - 09/24/03 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Josch:

I just seen this pic, and noticed the woodgrain dash around the stereo. Is that stock? Is that a Tauras/Sable in the pic?

Anyone know by chance?

You'll notice that that is a post 98 Mystique. It was available on the post 98's but not the pre 98s. Therefore alot of the dash bits won't fit I'm afraid unless you did a more involed interior swap.
© CEG Archives