Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Would you trade your Contour for an... - 09/02/03 04:59 PM
...Alfa Romeo Milano Verde?

It's not about the numbers, or looks. I mean, it's just a 3.0 V-6 with around 184 hp out of the box, but it's RWD, perfect front-to-rear weight distribution, and that sweet Italian motor. Oh, and very unique. The design is, um, controversial, to say the least, but it grows on you.

I love my Contour, but no matter what I do, or how much I spend, it will always be a nose-heavy FWD.
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Would you trade your Contour for an... - 09/02/03 05:06 PM
I would trade your 96 SE for it.

I would not trade a 3L modded SVT for it.

Won't you still run into mod problems..as in lack of (US offered) them? Or producers?

Seems to me a better route to go would be a 3 series BMW...
Originally posted by mcgainer:

Won't you still run into mod problems..as in lack of (US offered) them? Or producers?

The aftermarket support is probably as good if not better, because it's "seen" as an enthusiast car. The "Alfetta" platform dates from 1972, so plenty of stuff out there. Lots of people put 3.0's from the 164 into their 2.5L Milanos. Getting the Verde means spending a bit more up front and starting out with 3.0, LSD, and stiffer suspension. Easy engine mods can push the hp up to SVT levels, and some guys are installing turbos. Wheels are a bit of a problem, what with a 5x98mm bolt pattern (you thought 4x108 was rare!), but surmountable with custom drilling.

As for BMW, well, yes, I like them, especially the E30 M3s (the first, last, and only true M3), but they (M3s) command a premium. Other Beemers are nice, too, but they are sooooooo common.

In fact, my mod goals for the Contour are pretty modest. I'm not at all limited by the market, since pretty much everything I want is already out there. It's just that, well, like I said. As much as I love my Contour, as good as it sounds, no matter what I do, it will be FWD and nose-heavy.

Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Would you trade your Contour for an... - 09/02/03 05:48 PM
Here's an eye opener..."In a European Car review, the Milano Verde was compared favorably to the Porsche 944 for performance"

From here: http://www.brtnet.org/alfa/milano-info.html
Posted By: LI-SVT Re: Would you trade your Contour for an... - 09/02/03 08:26 PM
Would it be a daily driver?
Posted By: Pigeon Re: Would you trade your Contour for an... - 09/02/03 08:46 PM
Yes, I would.

Scott
Originally posted by LI-SVT:
Would it be a daily driver?

Yes. That's why I'd have to sell the Contour. But I have a very short commute, so I don't put a lot of "utility" miles on my car. (The "smile miles" are another story.)
I wouldn't have it at any price. YUK!

To me, it looks like a cross between a Chevy Corsica & a Volkwagon Rabbit (insert vimmiting critter here).

Ungh... feeling .... light-headed... must-not-remember...
Here's a couple more articles:

GRM: Not Quite Another Pretty Face

European Car: Uno, Due, Tre Quadrifoglio
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

Posted By: outkast Re: Would you trade your Contour for an... - 09/03/03 11:26 PM
never buy a car that has limited parts.If it breaks down
your going to pay out of your tail.I work for one of the
best parts stores in the state of maryland and I can tell
you the trouble we had finding parts.

To me, it looks like a cross between a Chevy Corsica & a Volkwagon Rabbit (insert vimmiting critter here).

Originally posted by RogerB:
It's not about the...looks.

Posted By: OSU Re: Would you trade your Contour for an... - 09/04/03 04:13 AM

i would never, EVER compare that to a corsica. not because of looks so much, but more so because of what a piece of [censored] the corsica is. you could pimp that car out, but i would never CONSIDER pimping out a corsica. i would compare it moreso with a cross between an older jetta and an old saab hatchback.
© CEG Archives