Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BStoneMega firing order? - 08/13/03 05:33 PM
Is this the cylinder layout for the 2.5 duratech?

towards rear of car
1 3 5
2 4 6

Thanks,

Brandon
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: firing order? - 08/13/03 06:14 PM
Cylinder layout!
Bumber

Firing order
1-4-2-5-3-6

-Andy
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: firing order? - 08/13/03 06:19 PM
cool, thanks alot!
Posted By: BOFH Re: firing order? - 08/13/03 07:49 PM
I've gotta know why firing order is important? You don't have a distributor, and the coil pack has the numbers on it.

Are you trying to find TDC at each cylinder?

TB
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: firing order? - 08/13/03 08:10 PM
I didn't really mean firing order. I just wanted to verify the phisical location of cylinder 1.
Posted By: DsCSVT Re: firing order? - 08/13/03 08:51 PM
Mmm.......firing orders and piston layouts....so much tastey goodness. Makes me miss discussing how beautifully balanced the inline 6 is........
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: firing order? - 08/13/03 09:04 PM
Originally posted by DsCSVT:
Mmm.......firing orders and piston layouts....so much tastey goodness. Makes me miss discussing how beautifully balanced the inline 6 is........

What inline 6?
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: firing order? - 08/14/03 04:11 AM
An inline 6 such as those that Ford used to make and General Motors and BMW still makes. An inline 6 is inherently much better balanced and smooth than any 4, V6, V8, or V10.

A little trivia. The firing order on most inline 6 engines is 153624. The way we were taught to remember that many years ago was with the little ditty "fifteen is too young, thirtysix is too old, but twentyfour is just right".
Posted By: BURNTU2_dup1 Re: firing order? - 08/14/03 04:15 AM
Firing order isn't 6-5-4-3-2-1-BLAST OFF???
Maybe that has been my problem all these years!!!
You learn something new everyday.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: firing order? - 08/14/03 04:22 AM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
An inline 6 such as those that Ford used to make and General Motors and BMW still makes. An inline 6 is inherently much better balanced and smooth than any 4, V6, V8, or V10.

A little trivia. The firing order on most inline 6 engines is 153624. The way we were taught to remember that many years ago was with the little ditty "fifteen is too young, thirtysix is too old, but twentyfour is just right".

I know what an inline 6 is but was unsure what inline 6 this guy was referring to. Contours don't have inline 6's so I was confused.
Posted By: docjames Re: firing order? - 08/14/03 04:59 AM
Ford actually make an inline 6 still here in Australia.

4.0L
Variable valve timing and Twin Cam in the recent upgrade
Good for about 182 kW (approx 240hp)

(Have a look at www.ford.com.au if u r interested.)

Used in the new Falcon here (the block is about a 40 year old design though!!)

there's also a turbo version with 240kW (320hp) available.
Posted By: DsCSVT Re: firing order? - 08/14/03 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Originally posted by Big Jim:

I know what an inline 6 is but was unsure what inline 6 this guy was referring to. Contours don't have inline 6's so I was confused.

I was referring to inline 6s in general, e.g. BMW. I am quite aware that my car does not, in fact, have an inline 6 in it.
© CEG Archives