Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: lsneo girlfriend got in accident - 08/11/03 01:29 PM
well last night i got a call from my girl friend. She was going down the feeder in the middle lane when a car that was making the u-turn under the freeway hit her. The girl said that she came out of the without yielding or looking because she said that she didnt see anything. As she came out of the u-turn she didnt stay in her lane but continued to move all the way accross to the right side of the feeder. Well she came out so fast that she got into the middle lane so fast that my girl friend slammed on her brakes and swerved to the right but she still got hit. The damage on the car is on the front fender, the control arms are bent, new fender is needed, new bumper, trans axle got riped out of the tranny. The cops said that they woulnt tell who is at fault that they insurance company would have to battle it out. Worst of all, the driver of the other car has no insurance, expired drivers license and it wasnt her car. The car does have insurace but im not too sure that she is going to be covered. My girlfriend has full-coverage, but the car is only 10 days old and she was in the hospital from having pains on her neck. Question is what know? should she take the girl to court for the medical bills, and what do you guys think the verdict of the insurance fight should be.
Posted By: Kasey Chang Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/11/03 02:16 PM
Is it illegal to drive without insurance in your state?
Did you get uninsured insurance? (yes, there's such a thing)
Who has the right of way?
Posted By: Freakshow Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/11/03 03:25 PM
Since you gf has full coverage (and assuming that it was the other drivers fault) with that she should have Uninsured Motorist coverage. It is designed just for situations like you gf is in now. I believe if she had uninsured motorist coverage that her insurance company will take care of her and her car thent hey will go after the other driver to try and recoup their money. I'm no insurance agent and I've never been in this situation but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
Posted By: Renee_dup1 Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/11/03 03:29 PM
Isneo, when I read this, I knew exactly who to go to. My mom is a personal injury paralegal, been doing it for years. She deals with this exact stuff every day, so I am pasting the PM for you about what she said. I hope this helps you.

Mom: well the main thing is there is no insurance on the part of the other car.
renee29404: yeah, that's going to be a problem, I know
Mom: so if you friend has UM coverage, it will cover her as if the other car had insurance. If your friend doesn't have UM coverage, then she's screwed as far as a settlement. But her comp/collision coverage will still cover her property damage.

There you go. Basically, when the other person has no insurance, no lawyer will take a suit against them because there's no way to claim. Good Luck.
Posted By: Ã?ber Evil Mushu! Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/11/03 03:57 PM
Originally posted by MrsFurby72:
There you go. Basically, when the other person has no insurance, no lawyer will take a suit against them because there's no way to claim. Good Luck.

Thatâ??s not true in Texas. I had an uninsured motorist hit me in Houston and I got a lawyer and I actually got a settlement from my insurance company because they bought the right to sue the guy from me. I thought that was a good move on my part considering he was in jail at the time for a 2nd DUI. BTW- I did have uninsured motorist coverage.

Time to call The TEXAS HAMMER!

Hope your girlfriend is feeling better. Good Luck!
Posted By: Renee_dup1 Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/11/03 04:05 PM
Wow, you got a good insurance company then. Good for you.
Posted By: Ã?ber Evil Mushu! Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/11/03 04:14 PM
It was StateFarm. Funny thing was years later I got settlement checks because they got caught screwing their customers. I had no clue they were coming.

It was like hmmm... whats this... free money day! Yippee! They kept coming every few months. It was awesome!
Posted By: lsneo Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/11/03 04:18 PM
um coverage??? what is that i dont know what it is, ill ask her if she has it.

i forgot to put in that the other car does have insurance but that car wasnt hers, it was her roomates.
Posted By: Ã?ber Evil Mushu! Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/11/03 04:19 PM
uninsured motorist
Posted By: lsneo Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/11/03 04:25 PM
what about body injury, where does she go to get compensated for her hospital bills.
Posted By: Kung Fu Troll Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/11/03 04:28 PM
Is your girlfriend ok? Hope everything works out. Good luck.

-R-
Posted By: Ã?ber Evil Mushu! Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/11/03 04:29 PM
Her car insurance will cover that. I would advise you speak to a lawyer for advice. I think the first meeting is free. Plus if you have to sue the lawyers money comes from the settlement. DO NOT call someone from the tv. Ask around people you know are bound to know someone.
Posted By: 95Mike_dup1 Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/11/03 05:36 PM
The car has insurance on it. The Girl's roomate will suffer the consequences of loaning her car out and her insurance will pay everything.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/11/03 07:30 PM
sorry man,
I hate houston for that. . .i've gotten into 3 accidents since I've moved here, had a perfect record and no problems before . . .and 2 accidents were uninsured, mexican migrant workers with no license, so I had NO recourse. . .I just don't care anymore. . .as for your gf, I say SUE the living hell out of the person.

usually uninsured motorist coverage (like $80 every 6 months or more??) covers her damage. . .she had a new car?? What type??
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/11/03 07:32 PM
Yay MI no fault!
Posted By: lsneo Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/12/03 03:39 AM
it was an 03 cavalier, as far as her injuries, its sprained shoulder, sprained hip and whipp lash on her neck. Her insurance company says that they wont take any action until she pays a $500 deductible. As for the other driver, she hasnt made the insurance claim yet and i think she is trying to get out of it. We called her insurance and they said that they didnt have anyone under that policy #, also for my girlfriend to get money for her injuries and hospital bills she has to go to therapy. Her insurance company says that they might total the car. I think that her insurance is trying to run around this, also this one chick at work says that the other girls insurance has to pay for my girlfriend to get a rental car since she works about 20+ miles from home and needs to commute. Also since my girlfriends damage is on the front drivers side fender and the other car is damaged on the passengers rear fender just over the tire, woulnt the insance rule as my girlfriends fault even thought she was cut off and tried to avoid the accident. Also since the other girl did a U-turn and didnt yield and went accross 2 lanes all at the same time, isnt it her fault. Keep in mind that my girls car went on its right 2 wheels and the car stopped not even 50 ft from the intersection. Who do u guys think is at fault?
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/12/03 03:50 AM
Get an attourney FAST!!!! The insurance company is trying to rape your G/F. Don't sign anything!!! They should be paying all the bills after the first $500, not refusing to pay until she ponies up the deductable.

I hate crap like this. If they total the Cavalier, they won't be doing her a favor - in spite of the fact that its a crappy car. They'll pay trade-in or wholesale for the car, not what she owes. That means she'll be responsible for a couple of grand difference - unless she got "Gap insurance". Gap insurance will cover the difference.

By the way, don't tell her this stuff yet. It'll just upset her. Let her know that she has GOT to get a lawyer!! The insurance company will ruin her credit and whatever else they can if she lets them.

NOW IS THE TIME TO FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: lsneo Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/12/03 03:57 AM
The sticker on the car was about 14 k, but she got it for about half price because of the coupons that chevy had and some dealing on her side. Will the insurance quote the car from the sticker or from what she paid?
Posted By: delmar_dup1 Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/12/03 12:39 PM
The insurance company should value the car on its depreciated value, not the amount paid or outstanding. Some insurance policies also have a "waiver of depreciation" which values the car at "replacement cost" for the first few years, obviously on new cars only.
Posted By: Renee_dup1 Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/12/03 01:23 PM
Well, it doesn't matter where the car was hit really. The girl cut her off and hit the front of her car with the rear of hers. What is the other girl saying? Did she tell the police what she did? If so, it's open and shut.
Now, if the girl isn't copping to causing it, then it's going to be a fight, because the girl could say your girl hit her as well, which is bullsh*t. If they ask where the other girl was going, then with a road diagram, they can prove who was at fault.
But GET A DAMN ATTORNEY. My mom even asked if you had one. She said to get one NOW. A good lawyer won't ask for any money upfront. They will wait until the case is settled.
Good luck, hope your girl is doing better this morning.
Posted By: lsneo Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/12/03 01:51 PM
yea the girl told the cops that she took the U-turn and didnt see anyone coming so she didnt bother to stop and yield. She didnt tell them that she crossed over to the middle lane as soon as she got out of the U-turn, but thats apparant.
Posted By: Renee_dup1 Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/12/03 05:03 PM
Then there's no problem. Your girl don't have to prove anything. If this girl admitted to to the cops she caused it, there ya go. It's not your girl's fault.
This reminds me of the accident I had at the base commissary. I had backed out of my parking spot, stopped, and was putting the car in drive, when a retired Lt. Colonel backed into my passenger's side rear door. He apologized up and down, and also told the Security Forces officers that he hit me. BUT when it came time to talk to our insurance company(we both have USAA), he told them he has a witness saying we both were backing out at the same time, but I got there first, which is why he hit me. USAA was all for that excuse because that would mean they wouldn't have to pay to fix my car. I told them BULLSH*T, I got the police statement right here saying that HE HIT ME. Look where he hit my car. If he did have a witness, how come he can't find this "witness" to have them call you? Truth told, the man had no witness, was probably told by a friend to tell them that, but forgot he done admitted to the base cops he hit me. Needless to say his insurance covered my car AND a new baby seat for my little one.
Tell your girl we are all thinking about her.
Posted By: lsneo Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/12/03 06:45 PM
yea problem is that the cops said that they werent going to say whos fault it was, that they were going to let the insurance company fight it out. The demage to the car came to over 3k, so they problably arent going to total it.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/12/03 07:33 PM
Originally posted by lsneo:
yea problem is that the cops said that they werent going to say whos fault it was,

Then you need to call the Capt. of these clowns.
Posted By: Renee_dup1 Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/12/03 08:05 PM
I agree with Todras. That's rediculous. It's their JOB to investigate it. The insurance companies go by the COPS statements of what they concluded happened.
Posted By: Ne0z1n0wNLee Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/13/03 04:15 PM
well it's me....lsneo'z gf. i have a sprained(not spelled right) shoulder, hip, and knee. i have retained a lawyer because of the fact that the other girl hadn't even filed a claim yet. but what she doesn't know is that i already filed for her. what my bf didn't tell you is that after she hit me she didn't even pull over in front of me to acknowledge the fact that she hit me. i had to go running about a block after her barefoot. the only thing that everybody is suprised about is that the cops couldn't figure out that it was her fault because she 1)didn't yeild and told the cops that 2)didn't get hit from behind she was hit on her rear right quarter panel right above the tire 3)my car was only about 4 car lengths away from the intersection.

and the other thing that my bf didn't tell you is that when she hit me my car wnet up on 2 tires and slid into the 3rd lane where it laned.
Posted By: xp46 Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/13/03 05:21 PM
Gotta love Jim Adler references
Posted By: Ã?ber Evil Mushu! Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/13/03 06:08 PM
Originally posted by xp46:
Gotta love Jim Adler references

He is the best! He will hammer, and hammer, and hammer until you get every penny you deserve! and then take 30%

Who would win in a fight? The Texas Hammer or The Strong Arm?
Posted By: Ne0z1n0wNLee Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/14/03 01:55 AM
well here are pics just in case any of you wanted to know how bad the damages are...
with axle grease to highlight it

Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/14/03 12:29 PM
That poor Protege 5.
Posted By: Ne0z1n0wNLee Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/14/03 01:59 PM
Originally posted by todras:
That poor Protege 5.

you mean poor cavalier....lol

my poor baby...poor persephone(godess of the underworld for those who don't know...lol)
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/14/03 03:04 PM
No the yellow one in the background.
Posted By: lsneo Re: girlfriend got in accident - 08/14/03 04:55 PM
lol
© CEG Archives