Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: sean05 ? About Insurance - 08/10/03 02:02 PM
Hey guys,
ugh it almost that time. for me to get my licence. My parents and I are insured threw Allstate right now but they seem high. We asked for a quote with my parents car 2000 Mustang and a 1999 Quest. We added a 93 Tbird V8. Insurance would be about 1k every 6 months. Parents sais no no. So i recommended looking a Contour SVT's. We called Gieco and got a quote for just me drivng there cars. 4K EVERY SIX MONTHS!! AHHH So my ? to you guys is who do you think have the cheapest insurance. Also will insurance be cheaper with a SVT becuase its 4 door and FWD?

THANKS ALOT!!
Sean
Posted By: Freakshow Re: ? About Insurance - 08/10/03 02:32 PM
I don't know what the insurace difference would be between a T-bird and SVT but I would think the svt would be a little less. I have USAA and it's the lowest I've found anywhere but it's for military people but you can check http://progressive.com/ they're supposed to be pretty good.
Posted By: 10mmFeeder Re: ? About Insurance - 08/10/03 03:06 PM
I had a 91 TBird SuperCoupe, and the insurance was practically the same as my SVT. I'm with nationwide, they've got great rates, I'd check them out.
Posted By: Kasey Chang Re: ? About Insurance - 08/10/03 05:54 PM
No, the problem is SVT and even the V6 Contours are considered sports cars, and that, combined with your age, make you a high-risk client, thus, high premiums.

I pay $980 every 6 months on my plain jane V-6 LX '96 Contour myself through Allstate. I'm thinking about switching to 21st Century soon, as my policy expires in September...
Posted By: 99SVT_dup1 Re: ? About Insurance - 08/10/03 06:26 PM
Just call your agent and ask if the contour will be cheaper. They will tell you exactly what it will be. Also, different insurers have different rates on different cars. Just call all around and find the cheapest rates.

By the way I pay $840 every 6 months. Just for me to drive my contour, I pay the highest in my family. I am 21yo and have no points, tickets or any violations whatsoever.

Oh also, don't even tell the insurance company that you are the principle driver on any car. Have your parents be principle drivers on all 3 cars if you can. Good Luck.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: ? About Insurance - 08/10/03 06:31 PM
amica. from personal experience and from many others (friends and friends in the insurance industry) allstate is a horrible company. i would not give them my business if they offered me FREE insurance. i'd say more but i want to keep this clean.
Posted By: red99sesport Re: ? About Insurance - 08/10/03 06:39 PM
I pay 1,200 a year for full coverage on a 1999 Contour SE Sport V6 Automatic. I am 17, almost 18, I've got one ticket, have two points on my license (I rear ended someone). I do get a good student discount, but 4K sounds high, you must be getting no fault insurance. That is one reason I love Ohio, the insurance is cheaper than it was when I lived in Michigan.
Posted By: Contouraholic_dup1 Re: ? About Insurance - 08/10/03 08:47 PM
Originally posted by hmouta:
amica. from personal experience and from many others (friends and friends in the insurance industry) allstate is a horrible company. I would not give them my business if they offered me FREE insurance. i'd say more but i want to keep this clean.

Wow, I have had Allstate for 25 years. A dozen accidents, a few tickets (well maybe more than a few). Never had any trouble. I have had great treatment with accidents. They adjusted quickly and favorably. I've looked around, received quotes, but Allstate still was the cheapest for me. I was originally insured in NY, now in NJ.

Allstate may not be good if you are single, but I have only had them while married. Married over 25 yrs old = good rates.

I still try to reduce my rates but every quote I get is at least $200 more than Allstate.

Your mileage may vary of course.
Posted By: sean05 Re: ? About Insurance - 08/10/03 09:48 PM
So a SVT contour is gonna cost me alot to insure? ugh i cant find a car and i dont want a rice burner
Posted By: red99sesport Re: ? About Insurance - 08/10/03 10:11 PM
Look, I know from experience, any decent car is gonna be expensive for you to insure. You're a young male driver, you will be put in the highest risk category. If you are in a no fault insurance state it will be outrageous for you to insure a car. My first car was a 1995 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible. It cost 3700 a year to insure in Ohio, an at fault insurance state. My contour is less (not a sport convertible). My friends in Michigan pay a lot more. (A no fault state) One I can think of drives a 1998 Dodge Durango. He pays almost 9K a year to insure it, and he is a secondary driver on the policy. Another is a female who drives a 93 chevry silverado, and she pays 4K a year for full coverage. She gets a good discount for good grades. My other friend does not. Point of my story is, you're gonna have to pay a lot to insure anything decent, especially if you don't have good grades. So, if your parents won't pay for insurance, you might want to get a job to pay for it, otherwise, you won't be able to get a decent car. I know it sucks, trust me I know.
Posted By: 99SVT_dup1 Re: ? About Insurance - 08/10/03 10:41 PM
Lots of other factors go in it too...even location beyond if your in a no-fault state or not. It varies even from neighborhood to neighborhood. If a lot of cars are stolen in your neighborhood your rates will be higher. There's tons of factors they take in to account...it sux i know.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: ? About Insurance - 08/11/03 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Kasey Chang:
No, the problem is SVT and even the V6 Contours are considered sports cars, and that, combined with your age, make you a high-risk client, thus, high premiums.

That's actually incorrect.

In 2000 I:
sold my 97 Chevy Cavalier - $750/6 months
added my 00 SVT - $760/6 months

I was shocked that my rates hardly changed, so I asked why.
Allstate agent told me "Allstate does NOT see the Contour, even the SVT, as a sports car by any means".
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: ? About Insurance - 08/11/03 03:44 AM
I pay $50 a month.
Posted By: Kokopellian Re: ? About Insurance - 08/11/03 03:50 AM
I pay $435 a year for my SVT, but that's me. I've gone through Geico, Progressive, State Farm, and AllState for insurance over the years because I'm always shopping for the best rates. I'm currently with Liberty Mutual, and they have given me the best rates ever. You may want to look into them if they insure in your area. Oh, and I forgot to add, if you change your deductible to higher limits, say $500-$1000 you'll save tons of money as well. Alot of people don't recommend this, but it was a risk I was willing to take when I first started driving. Saved me alot of money.
Posted By: Keith W_dup1 Re: ? About Insurance - 08/11/03 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Contouraholic:
Originally posted by hmouta:
amica. from personal experience and from many others (friends and friends in the insurance industry) allstate is a horrible company. I would not give them my business if they offered me FREE insurance. i'd say more but i want to keep this clean.

Wow, I have had Allstate for 25 years. A dozen accidents, a few tickets (well maybe more than a few). Never had any trouble. I have had great treatment with accidents. They adjusted quickly and favorably. I've looked around, received quotes, but Allstate still was the cheapest for me. I was originally insured in NY, now in NJ.

Allstate may not be good if you are single, but I have only had them while married. Married over 25 yrs old = good rates.

I still try to reduce my rates but every quote I get is at least $200 more than Allstate.

Your mileage may vary of course.

I am also an Allstate customer for about 18 years, auto, home, and umbrella, never had any problems with any claims (have only had auto claims). Here in Texas, there has been a big jump in home insurance rates from all companies because of tropical storm Allison and claims about the bogus "toxic" mold BS and the payouts they made from those. The money pool was used up by all of that and Allstate, and all the other home insurance companies still left in Texas (one or two won't insure homes in Texas anymore) have to get their funds built back to be able to help people the next time. I don't remember the the exact dollar amount of damages from Allison but it was over 1 billion. Insurance companies are there to protect our property from such things but they also need to make money to stay in business. If they don't think they can stay in business they will close up and you will be on your own.
Posted By: GrnSVTour00 Re: ? About Insurance - 08/11/03 04:10 AM
like everyone else has said, alot of factors come into play. im 22, and i paid about $790 every six months for a 99 neon 4dr, i bought it brand new. i just traded that in for my 00 svt contour, and im only paying $10 more a month, so my premium only went up $65 more every 1/2. i go thru state farm, and i always thought they charged alot. i don't have any accidents, tickets or points on my record. that's why i was so surprised that my payments were only going to be $10 more a month. not a bad deal, you just have to look around if you want the cheapest price!!!
Posted By: dbird_dup1 Re: ? About Insurance - 08/11/03 04:53 AM
just getting your license??? proably young.. under 25 and single.. then you can expect to pay pretty high rates......
years ago a friend who was young, about 22 was married and later got a divorce so he notified his insurance company that his wife will no longer be on the policy for this one car.. as he was divorced now.. his rates doubled as a single male under 25......
© CEG Archives