Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Pigeon Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 05/08/03 09:15 PM
My trunk release solenoid had crapped out on me mid-winter and my key lock is currently jammed so all I had was the cable release. This was making me uncomforatble so I wanted to get somethign working again. I attempted to remove the solenoid, got the screws out and the electrical connection undone but couldn't get at the actuating rod, so I smacked the solenoid a few times with a screwdriver, plugged it back in, drenched it in silicone and hit the button. Imagine my surprize when it worked! It doesn't sound very healthy, but for those of you who have dead trunk releases, try giving the solenoid a good whack and disconnecting/reconnecting the electrical connector.

Scott
Posted By: Marky_dup1 Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 05/09/03 02:22 AM

??????????????
Posted By: MarkO_dup1 Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 05/09/03 03:10 AM
A lil' percussive maintenance can go a long way.
Posted By: EnoSonic_dup1 Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 05/09/03 12:57 PM
Does it completly open when you activate the trunk release? When I try to open the trunk it pops and doesn't open like the Taurus' trunk. I am just wondering if it is supposed to. Any ideas?
Posted By: Pigeon Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 05/09/03 04:37 PM
Originally posted by EnoSonic:
Does it completly open when you activate the trunk release? When I try to open the trunk it pops and doesn't open like the Taurus' trunk. I am just wondering if it is supposed to. Any ideas?

Nope, just releases. There's a spring available that's an easy fit to give the trunk a push open when you release it. I don't know the part # offhand, but a search here should turn it up.

Scott
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 05/09/03 08:15 PM
Mine's been dead for a long time. Guess it might be worth tinkering.
Posted By: Drumbo_dup1 Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 05/10/03 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Pigeon:
My trunk release solenoid had crapped out on me mid-winter and my key lock is currently jammed so all I had was the cable release. This was making me uncomforatble so I wanted to get somethign working again. I attempted to remove the solenoid, got the screws out and the electrical connection undone but couldn't get at the actuating rod, so I smacked the solenoid a few times with a screwdriver, plugged it back in, drenched it in silicone and hit the button. Imagine my surprize when it worked! It doesn't sound very healthy, but for those of you who have dead trunk releases, try giving the solenoid a good whack and disconnecting/reconnecting the electrical connector.

Scott

Yeah, sometimes all a stuck solenoid needs is a little "love-tap" -- followed like you did by a stiff shot of silicone or a dry-film lubricant. Luckily, mine went out when the warranty was still in-force (The dipstick Ford "tech" who had my keyless remote in the ignition as he was working on the car initially said the reason it didn't work was because the car didn't have that feature ... and the Service Writer tried to back him up! That was good for a hearty laugh and an even heartier phone call to the owner of the dealership).

Will remember your post in case the replacement hangs up, too.
Posted By: Shawn95GTRag Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 05/11/03 08:53 PM

Scott

You wouldn't happen tohave any pics / diagrams of how the solenoid hooks up in there do ya? Do you think it'd be easy to retro-fit the OEM solendoid on a car that doesn't have the keyless entry / remote trunk? I was gonna add it via a car alarm.

Shawn
Posted By: SMcD_dup1 Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 05/12/03 05:05 PM
I have this part # taped to my monitor and think its the trunk release helper spring-thingy: F8RZ 63431B04-AA
Posted By: auiotour Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 05/12/03 06:21 PM
that easy, damn, gonna go to mine right now. i never got a key for my trunk, how sad.
Posted By: Cris'pus Trunk Spring Thing - 08/22/03 12:35 AM
Originally posted by EnoSonic:

Nope, just releases. There's a spring available that's an easy fit to give the trunk a push open when you release it. I don't know the part # offhand, but a search here should turn it up.

Scott

I ordered that part, but am wondering if there is anything I should know before I mount it.
Posted By: oldmanriver Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 08/22/03 06:35 AM
Originally posted by SMcD:
I have this part # taped to my monitor and think its the trunk release helper spring-thingy: F8RZ 63431B04-AA

Now if I take that part number to the dealership, take what they give me (spring or some sorta kit?) and my trunk will pop open all the way like it used to when i just pressed the button? Mine died many a year ago, and I even forgot i had that feature. It would be kinda sexy to have it pop up again like that.
Posted By: goldsmi_dup1 Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 08/22/03 09:31 AM
looks like this:

Posted By: auiotour Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 08/22/03 01:40 PM
I fixed my soleniod by going to the junk yard and finding a new one. I guess when I did the install I messed something else up. the gas door, and drunk release level inside no longer works. I have did everything and still can't make it work.
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 08/23/03 07:03 AM
Thanks goldsmi

It's in and works very well. I can actually see the trunk open now. Much better...
Originally posted by auiotour:
that easy, damn, gonna go to mine right now. i never got a key for my trunk, how sad.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Contours use the same key for the doors, trunk, and ignition? I thought Ford stopped the whole "2 keys" system in the early 90's. I know my 98 had only one key for everything.
Posted By: mercman_dup1 Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 08/23/03 01:34 PM
To remove the solenoid you have to disco the linkage. To disco the linkage you have to mark the position of the trunk latch and then remove the bolts from the latch so it can move around. Then you can work the linkage off. The solenoid can be dissembled and cleaned. You will see the brass lands that control the motor function. Clean them, check for burrs and high spots on the lands,contacts and plastic guides. Lube the lands and contacts with dielectric grease only.

jeff
Posted By: ssolomo Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 09/05/03 09:01 PM
OK; I bought the spring but it didn't come with a screw or anything to secure it to the trunk. It appears that y'all used a brass screw or something to get it in. I tried using two different screws, hammering a nail and a drill (only had regular drill bits though) for a pilot hole and was completely unsuccessful.

Help!

Steven
'98.5 SVT
DMD, a few other goodies - hopefully a trunk spring soon!

Posted By: goldsmi_dup1 Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 09/05/03 10:34 PM
Just a plain 'ol sheet metal screw. Drill an 1/8in (or so) pilot hole and you're set.

AL
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Fixed my trunk release soleniod! - 09/06/03 01:23 AM
Take it back and demad a screw. Mine was one that counter-sinks. I just pushed really hard and it drilled itself then presto.
I think I'm going to place a riser plate so the trunk looks open more.
© CEG Archives