Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: D13 What if ... - 08/30/06 04:08 PM
I have always been a fan of the Kuegel 5.0L Focus conversion.

The other day I pulled out the tape measure and started analyzing my 99 Contour. Now the question is, has anyone considered (or done) a V8 swap on a contour. According to my calculations, the room is there for the following:

302/351 FI
5/6 MTX
8.8 Diff

Basically, the idea is to use the Kuegel plan on the contour. I am toying with the idea of dropping in a 300HP 302 with a 6 speed MTX and 8.8 diff.

Leave the stock SE body and add 4 wheel discs and that would be one heck of a sport tourer...
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 04:14 PM
swapping a V8 in has been discussed before.
I'm too lazy to search for all of the discussions though.
Posted By: D13 Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 04:18 PM
Can't find any on search...
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 04:19 PM
takes cover ...
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 04:24 PM
** Hides behind BrApple **

Wait for it.........

Wait for it.........

Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 04:26 PM
Originally posted by D13:

Did you change the date range to "all posts?" Make sure to search in multiple appropriate forums, i.e. general, common interests, etc. Also, don't forget to search the archives.
Posted By: D13 Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 04:34 PM
Finally found some... (need search all option)

Anyway, the guy in Europe has the right idea. The main problem with the Contour is FWD. Many, this is the first FWD vehicle I have owned and I miss my power slides so bad. You steer with your right foot, not your hands.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 04:46 PM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:

Did you change the date range to "all posts?" Make sure to search in multiple appropriate forums, i.e. general, common interests, etc. Also, don't forget to search the archives.

Try "general mods." Search "V8 Swap." Let us know.

To save you time, I'll give you the synopsis.

Newb: "Hey, anybody ever considared putting a v8 in a Contour?"

Search Nazis: "Search!"

Naysayers: "Yes, but it will never work! You're stupid for even thinking of it. You're even more stupid for thinking we haven't already thought of it."

Spelling Nazis: "You misspelled 'considered.'"

Purists: "Why would you want to? It won't really be a Contour when you're done. Why don't you just buy a Mustang?"

Newb: "Well, I took your advice and searched, and I've decided that I'm really going to do this! I will be the first, no matter the cost!"

Naysayers: "Yeah, right. Can somebody ban this troll?"

Optimists: "Hey, anything is possible for enough money and/or talent. You should see what those GRM challenge guys did with a CRX and a Corvette drivetrain for around $2,000!"

Realists: "Sure, dude, just show us pictures as you go."

Newb: <silence>

Any CEG'r (weeks later): "Hey, anybody heard from this guy?"

Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 05:03 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:

Sweet! I've been referenced in a smarmy reply! [evil laugh] Hahaha! My influence is spreading. Soon I will rule the world! Hahaha! [/evil laugh]

Sadly though, it was a pretty accurate synopsis of what you can expect.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 05:12 PM
The above is not just for a V8 RWD conversion...

It's also for these three biggies:
  • AWD conversion
  • 6 speed manual
  • V8 (but still FWD) conversion

After those, there are a few more 'newbies' stating they are going to do the following, and never follow through with it after they read up on what it took the few people that have actually done the folowing:
  • Custom FI setup
  • Pre98-to-98+ conversion (or vice versa)
  • ATX to MTX conversion

And many, many more smaller things!

BTW, I'd love to see any of the first 3 done to a Contour!
  • Posted By: MxRacer Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 05:25 PM

Sweet! I've been referenced in a smarmy reply! [evil laugh] Hahaha! My influence is spreading. Soon I will rule the world! Hahaha! [/evil laugh]

did you just say "smarmy"?
    Posted By: getsum111 Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 05:42 PM
    LMAO at Roger! Talk about covering ALL the bases at once!
    Posted By: TourDeForce Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 05:53 PM
    Roger, post of the day for you, man.

D13, reality is a buzz-kill. The Focus swap was for a VERY different platform so pretty much ALL of the process on a Contour will be custom fab. Lotsa money and/or time. I sure as hell wish we could use just the engine cradle, but the cars are too different in their layout.

Don't give up hope. Eventually, somebody will do it, I think.
    Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 06:04 PM
    meh, I did it already; wasn't fond of the turn-in response, so I converted mine back.
    Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 06:16 PM
    This must be a Photoshop, the Cobra engine in an SVT is a nice daydream! I think Tony 2005 posted it. [image][/image]
    Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 06:23 PM
    Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
    After those, there are a few more 'newbies' stating they are going to do the following, and never follow through with it after they read up on what it took the few people that have actually done the folowing:
  • Custom FI setup
  • Pre98-to-98+ conversion (or vice versa)
  • ATX to MTX conversion

• Yeah, I always wanted to to the ATX to MTX conversion, but after the few people who did it came back and said it sucked elky nuts I was discouraged. Especially after seeing elky's nuts.
    Posted By: jtour Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 06:59 PM
    Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
    This must be a Photoshop, the Cobra engine in an SVT is a nice daydream! I think Tony 2005 posted it. [image][/image]

^ if that was possilbe....

but lets get back to reality
    Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 07:14 PM
    Originally posted by MxRacer:

did you just say "smarmy"?

I did. In hindsight, however, it wasn't really the best choice. Facetious, droll, wisecracking, and canny would all have been better at getting across my meaning. So let me edit now:

Sweet! I've been referenced in a wisecracking reply!

Posted By: D13 Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 11:08 PM
    Reality

This same discussion happened many times for the focus and now there is a nice little beast that kicks #@!.

Bought my Countor for short term. When it is retired, will be my next project. And seeing the above photo only hardens my resolve.

I love the looks, performance, and functionality of the Contour, but they screwed it with front wheel drive.

Was hoping that someone had done it, but since I am use to conquering the impossible...
    Posted By: Tourige Re: What if ... - 08/30/06 11:44 PM
    Reality

This same discussion happened many times for the focus and now there is a nice little beast that kicks #@!.

Bought my Countor for short term. When it is retired, will be my next project. And seeing the above photo only hardens my resolve.

I love the looks, performance, and functionality of the Contour, but they screwed it with front wheel drive.

Was hoping that someone had done it, but since I am use to conquering the impossible...

I can tell by your superior reading and searching skills that you will no doubt have no problem conquring such an easy task. Im also sure that you are by far the smartest person on this board and that because the rest of us are one of the following:
    a) To Stupid
    b) To poor
    c) Have touched Elky's Balls

That means we have absolutly no idea what we are talking about or how things actually work in the automotive world.

I wish you Great success in your future..

Now is when you dont reply and in 2 weeks someone asks where you are (see Roger's Post)
    Posted By: Tony2005 Re: What if ... - 08/31/06 01:14 AM
    Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
    This must be a Photoshop, the Cobra engine in an SVT is a nice daydream! I think Tony 2005 posted it. ...

Nah..., credit goes to "SVTforme".
    From this thread.
    Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: What if ... - 08/31/06 04:37 PM
    Reality

Hey, no digs intended on you or your dreams. My initial post is only to illustrate what you'd find if you searched: That every time this comes up, that's pretty much how the discussion goes.

This post, however...

Look, I'm all for it. I hope someone does it. But the Contour is no Focus. Whether by design or sheer luck, the Focus is a better platform for this whole conversion. Then again, any body can have its guts removed and replaced with a tube-framed chassis, in which case you could have any drivetrain you wanted. Mid-engine? No problem. How far do you want to go?

I've seen plenty of wild swaps done on the cheap. SBCs in old Fiats, and yes, that Corvette/CRX hybrid is real. But it ain't no CRX no more, let me tell you. Most involve removing the firewall and fabbing a new one; cutting out the tunnel and fabbing a new one; cutting out the floor of the trunk... You get the picture. Not impossible, but certainly not for the weekend wrencher, either, and what you end up with is not really a street car, in any recognizable sense.

Bottom line: It's been talked to death, but nobody has done it. Some people have taken measurements. They might get you started. Otherwise, you are on your own. Go do it, and then show us (real) pictures. Until then, you might as well save your breath.

Believe it or not, of the characters in my first post, I'm the opimist.

Good luck.

Posted By: JEDsContour Re: What if ... - 08/31/06 07:14 PM
    Dual engined Contour! Laugh if you will!

Of course both "engines" would be electric motors...
    © CEG Archives