Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: pre98zetec Trunk key - 08/25/06 01:29 AM
So I was fooling around today, and didn't notice which key i had.. My primered contours truck key will open my green contours trunk, will also open my friends contours and some random persons contour (No, I didn't take anything).. Is this a normal thing or so I have some magical trunk key?

Doesn't seem very secure, if you ask me.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 01:31 AM
trunk key?
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 01:34 AM
some of us don't need luxurys like a button to open our trunk.
Posted By: Guitarman19853 Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 01:48 AM
yeah but do you have a seperate key just to open the trunk??
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 01:48 AM
Originally posted by pre98zetec:
some of us don't need luxurys like a button to open our trunk.

huh??
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Guitarman19853:

pre98 have a different trunk key and the post 98s use one keys for all the locks ...
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 01:55 AM

don't all of them? My green one has seperate door keys and trunk keys, as does my other.

Kremit I figured you were being an ass and saying 'trunk key?" because you have an SVT and I figured those had the automatic trunks.. don't they?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 01:58 AM
Originally posted by BrApple:

pre98 have a different trunk key and the post 98s use one keys for all the locks ...

I think that should be 95s have a different trunk key and 96s use one key for all locks. I can't vouch for 1997 onwards.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 01:58 AM

Kremit I figured you were being an ass and saying 'trunk key?" because you have an SVT and I figured those had the automatic trunks.. don't they?

yes all SVTs should have keyless entry
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 02:00 AM

I also have a 96 zetec and it uses one key.

And even cars with remote trunks can be opened by key.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Tony2005:

I think that should be 95s have a different trunk key and 96s use one key for all locks. I can't vouch for 1997 onwards.

I have two 96's and they both have seperate door keys and trunk keys
Posted By: Guitarman19853 Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

except mine...

Posted By: Berkel Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 03:22 AM

except mine...

Painted over, that sucks

My keys don't even open my truck. Didn't know we had a "trunk key" Oh well, the pop button works fine.
Posted By: Guitarman19853 Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Berkel:

except mine...

Painted over, that sucks

actually, more like completely removed and filled with a cheap rubber plug... there is no lock mechanism on the inside.... i need to get to a scrap yard to find one...

Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 12:16 PM
I have the separate trunk key, and I find it pretty damn disturbing that it can open multiple trunks.

and I would kick your ass if I caught you opening my trunk without my permission
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Tony2005:

Yes the 97's do have the same key for all locks. That is disturbing to know one key opens all Tour's trucks. Your friend with the other Contour does he have the separate key? If so try his and then try the one from your other Contour. If they work then its all of them. Creeeeepy.
Maybe that's why in 96 Ford made them all one key.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 12:58 PM
well i will be home this weekend and will try my trunk key on my fathers 95 and see what happens ...

on my 99 I will soon have two different keys ... I have the ignition cyclinder fail, replaced that and plan to match the door locks to that but leave the trunk as my original key ...
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 01:03 PM
That shouldn't be so bad.
I knew someone in HS he had a 88 dodge Daytona he had like 3 or 4 different keys for it.
1 to start it and for the trunk (or 1 separate for trunk) and 1 for each door.
Posted By: TGO Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 01:35 PM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
I have the separate trunk key, and I find it pretty damn disturbing that it can open multiple trunks.

and I would kick your ass if I caught you opening my trunk without my permission

this kinda thing is more common than you think. my dad had an oldsmobile when we lived in brooklyn, some drunk @$$ lady came out of a bar and opened the car thinking it was hers. The only reason she didn't drive away with it was the ignition cutoff, and the super old school sytle car alarm with no remote, only a keypad. MY father had to go down to the street to turn off the alarm and was like WTF!? Her actual car was parked one block over, looked exactly the same.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 01:52 PM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:

I never technically opened it, just just the key in and seen if it would pop, then shut it immediately. I know I still opened it in a sence, but I had in intention of looking what was in it/stealing anything, I'm not that type of person.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Mystique97:
Your friend with the other Contour does he have the separate key? If so try his and then try the one from your other Contour. If they work then its all of them. Creeeeepy.

I would except my friend lost the key to his trunk.
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 02:05 PM
i know a guy with a 90 accord and one time he unluck and star a car and he realise it wasnt his own car
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 03:46 PM
My brother had an explorer and we were on vacation, we rented another explorer and he was able to unlock it with his key, but couldn't start it.

Posted By: contourfreak22 Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 05:29 PM

thats odd i had a 97 and i only used one key for the car ignition, doors and trunk.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 05:38 PM
Originally posted by contourfreak22:

thats odd i had a 97 and i only used one key for the car ignition, doors and trunk.

I might be wrong ... but genarally things changed when the body style did ...
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 07:03 PM
Your friend with the other Contour does he have the separate key? If so try his and then try the one from your other Contour. If they work then its all of them. Creeeeepy.

There you go for his Bday present get him a copy made from your key.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: Trunk key - 08/25/06 07:28 PM

There you go for his Bday present get him a copy made from your key.

LOL thats actually not a bad idea!
© CEG Archives