Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: azs better gas mileage - 08/18/06 12:20 AM
hello,
I have a 2.5 duratec, and have been wanting better gas mileage on the highway, i was wondering if it's possible to make a switch to turn off a few of the fuel injectors, so i potentially would have a four cylinder engine, much like chevy suburbans have the "on demand engines" that turn off some of the injectors during highway driving. Would this idea work, or would the pcm get screwed up, or possibly ruin my engine?
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: better gas mileage - 08/18/06 12:37 AM
How about you be the first one to try it out...
Posted By: azs Re: better gas mileage - 08/18/06 12:46 AM
so that idea is a bust, i figured it could be worth a shot, maybe even for just one injector, than the engine would act similar to having a clogged fuel injector, o well.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: better gas mileage - 08/18/06 12:48 AM
Originally posted by azs:
so that idea is a bust, i figured it could be worth a shot, maybe even for just one injector, than the engine would act similar to having a clogged fuel injector, o well.

Really, it would probly just run like dog crap, which would more than likely trip the CEL, which would keep you in open loop, which in turn would probably decrease fuel economy due to the "fixed" settings in the ECU.
Posted By: azs Re: better gas mileage - 08/18/06 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:

Really, it would probly just run like dog crap, which would more than likely trip the CEL, which would keep you in open loop, which in turn would probably decrease fuel economy due to the "fixed" settings in the ECU.

i'll just try it out for kicks, unplug two of the injectors, see how it runs, stupid computers!
Posted By: 98SVTC Re: better gas mileage - 08/18/06 01:43 AM
I think that there's a lot more to it than switching off injectors. You'd need to switch off the spark plugs and your four cylinders will still have to overcome the compression of the two dead cylinders unless you can figure out a way to keep the valves open. As someone already stated, it will probably run like dog doo doo.
Karl
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: better gas mileage - 08/18/06 11:37 AM
What kind of mileage are you looking for?? There are modifications that can be done to increase fuel economy. I installed headers and a cold air intake. I noted a 6-10 mile per gallon increase in fuel economy.

Maybe you should try some of the easy things before you start re-designing the duratec.

Clean all carbon out of engine
clean or get new air filter
spark plugs and wires
change oil
make sure the engine is tuned up
tire pressure is correct
Posted By: murky024 Re: better gas mileage - 08/18/06 12:17 PM
DOD (displacement on demand) engines have technology and design that lets them run on 1/2 the cylinders. So their cranks and firing order is going to be setup to run without problems on 1/2 the cylinders. If you tried to make this work it would make you think you had a HUGE misfire problem and you would probably get worse gas mileage.

If you want better gas mileage do plugs, wires, O2 sensor, air filter, fuel filter, clean injectors, ensure your cat and exhaust flows well. (get rid of flow obstructions) and then if you REALLY want to get into it you can have your computer reflashed by a company that tunes theses cars (don�t know any as I am a noob to CEG) for a REAL lean cruising tune� (I know people in the Grand Prix world that have tuning flashes for long drives because they have a tune that will get them 36 mpg on the highway in a cruise� sure, if they went full throttle they would blow a piston or six )
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: better gas mileage - 08/18/06 01:26 PM
Okay don't rip into the new guy too much.

It was a good try, but yes there are many, many variables and years of engineering behind the cyclinder shut off technology. If was that easy, most cars would have it installed and it wouldn't add (from what I understand) ~ 2k to the price tag of the vehicle...

And the people at gm wonder why the company is tanking! Good thought, but bad cost production.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: better gas mileage - 08/18/06 03:53 PM
Anyone remember GMs stellar V4-6-8 from the eighties? I'm rather skeptical about displacement on demand now, mainly due to experience with the 4-6-8 in the past. They couldn't make it work right then, and I'm willing to bet that reliability and longevity are going to be sub-par this time around.
Posted By: murky024 Re: better gas mileage - 08/18/06 05:33 PM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
Anyone remember GMs stellar V4-6-8 from the eighties? I'm rather skeptical about displacement on demand now, mainly due to experience with the 4-6-8 in the past. They couldn't make it work right then, and I'm willing to bet that reliability and longevity are going to be sub-par this time around.

They didn't have VVT and the complex drive by wire systems. Look at the fuel injection systems of the 80's direct port EFI� Now they have fuel injection systems that inject right into the head allowing the gas to cool the combustion chamber and better use of fuel... 80's is so long in the past.

DOD is a good idea but it isnt the best idea as you are still spinning the mass of the 8 cyl engine... So it won't be as efficient as a standard 4 cyl. But I dont know many 4 cyl that get 30 mpg when they make 300+ hp either...
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: better gas mileage - 08/18/06 05:34 PM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
I'm rather skeptical about displacement on demand now,

Technology does advance. Mercedes is using it so I doubt it's that quirky.

http://www.sciam.com/print_version.cfm?articleID=000F2BEF-ECD0-119B-ACD083414B7F0000
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: better gas mileage - 08/18/06 05:43 PM
well, Mercedes did have to recall all of thier "quirky" brake-by-wire systems; then there was the test of thier "quirky" adaptive cruise control that they did on a european tv show.

Personally, I think DoD is a great idea. I'd love to have an Aston Martin V12 that would just shut down one whole bank during cruise
Posted By: RialKnight Re: better gas mileage - 08/18/06 10:09 PM

i'll just try it out for kicks, unplug two of the injectors, see how it runs, stupid computers!

That's not something you'll want to do.....remember the contour is not a GM car, the mods that u can do in an GM engine, U can't do with a Ford.

All you'll be doing is just making your engine run like crap
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: better gas mileage - 08/20/06 06:28 AM
I've ran my Contour GL on 3 injectors before... (I4) Ran like [censored] [censored].

Why? Because the harness broke. It took forever to get from 0 to 45, it vibrated to all hell, and basically it wasn't even. When I got my new fuel injector wiring harness, I was happy.
Posted By: 98SVTC Re: better gas mileage - 08/21/06 04:47 PM
Originally posted by RialKnight:
That's not something you'll want to do.....remember the contour is not a GM car, the mods that u can do in an GM engine, U can't do with a Ford.

All you'll be doing is just making your engine run like crap

You can't do it with a GM car (or any car for that matter) if it wasn't engineered from the very start with DOD in mind.
Karl
© CEG Archives